One Album Has To Go - The Infamous, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Illmatic, Life After Death

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
24 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

One Album Has To Go - The Infamous, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Illmatic, Life After Death
The Infamous 23 19.33%
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 35 29.41%
Illmatic 13 10.92%
Life After Death 48 40.34%
Voters: 119.   (BX member poll)

2 weeks ago '17        #1
1141 page views
65 comments

seansmith777  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
$300   Props total: 2065 2065
One Album Has To Go - The Infamous, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Illmatic, Life After death

The Infamous

Much more successful than their debut, The Infamous is hailed a New York classic. Its gritty underground style is a staple in the hardcore movement that was going on at this time in New York. This album helped New York Hip Hop to separate itself from the boom-bap style that was popular a few years prior. Havoc and Prodigy’s production shaped a new sound that could separate them from any out of Queens at the time.

Standout Tracks:

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx is arguably the best solo Wu-Tang album. Most of contemporary hip-hop's Mafioso-inspired themes and MC street aliases are inspired by the "Wu-Gambinos" motif introduced on this 18-cut LP. As the Wu's preeminent storyteller, Raekwon (a.k.a. "The Chef") paints Technicolor Kool G Rap-style pictures of high-stakes drug trafficking on "Criminology," and then mixes his street sensibility with 5% Nation of Islam reasoning on "Knowledge God." This album is loaded with RZA's finest production moments, as he samples a barrage of kung-fu flick sound bites, plays discordant keyboards on "Incarcerated Scarfaces," and utilizes some eerie female vocals on "Rainy Dayz." Rae's timeless duet with Nas on "Verbal Intercourse" further cements the album's status as one of the best of all time.

Standout Tracks:

Illmatic

There are few artists in hip-hop who have ever truly matched their hype. Twenty years ago today, on April 19, 1994, Nasir "Nas" Jones became one of them. On that day he released his highly-anticipated debut album, "Illmatic." And while the project didn't initially sell well, the 20-year-old Queensbridge native's music made an impact with the right crowd; namely, die-hard rap fans, industry insiders and most importantly, his peers. It was difficult to listen to the album for the first time and not be blown away. Escobar season was about to begin.

Standout Tracks:

Life After death

The King of Brooklyn, Biggie Smalls, busted through with an instant hip-hop classic on his first album, Ready to Die, but he outdid even his standard on Life After death, an audible, posthumous autobiography about the life of the former dope dealer. The 2 CD set revels in death, especially on "n*ggaz Bleed," "Somebody's Gotta Die," and "You're Nobody ('Til Somebody k*lls You)," but it's painfully clear that this fun-loving father of two wanted to see his kids grow up on "Sky Is the Limit" and "Miss U," both of which point to the future. The album also serves as a testament to Biggie's flexibility: he adopts Bone Thugs-N-Harmony's rapid rhyme flow and Midwestern beats when they guest on "Notorious Thugs," he positively bounces on both "Mo Money Mo Problems" and "Going Back to Cali" (guesting Eazy Mo Bee), and even kicks it Wu-Tang style when RZA shows up for "Long Kiss Goodnight."

Standout Tracks:

+1   

best
worst
65 comments

2 weeks ago '17        #2
seansmith777  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1 OP
space
space
space
$300   Props total: 2065 2065
I can't take Illmatic off the list especially with a song like this

+4   

2 weeks ago '04        #3
Skilllz  1 heat pts1
space
space
$9,780   Props total: 10528 10528
Only Built :'(

2 weeks ago '18        #4
Thanos  2 heat pts2
space
space
$1,147   Props total: 1786 1786
I tried not to take Biggie off cause it people will say it's cause I love Pac but it was too hard not to

2 weeks ago '06        #5
jj01 
space
space
$50,083   Props total: 13714 13714
No
+7   

2 weeks ago '13        #6
THEDONN 
space
space
$36,670   Props total: 34591 34591

Top 10 most propped recently  2 weeks ago '19        #7
Big Tymerz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
space
space
$3,440   Props total: 15055 15055
Who picked Illmatic?

+2   

2 weeks ago '15        #8
Mystic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
space
space
space
$16,794   Props total: 42022 42022
illmatic

It having One time for your mind almost made me choose it in under 3 seconds but because of the other songs it took me 5 seconds

EDIT: listening to Illmatic again and it's a tough one but Illmatic or Life after death. Not voting for any of those though

Last edited by Mystic; 10-09-2019 at 10:33 AM..

2 weeks ago '09        #9
Lupe Hunter  86 heat pts86
space
space
$16,777   Props total: 11888 11888
Life after death got a couple of skippable track while others don’t

Illmatic
The infamous
Only built for Cuban lynx are all better

LAD was amazing album tho just not better than those three imo
+4   

2 weeks ago '04        #10
skillahmang  3 heat pts3
space
space
$29,394   Props total: 25973 25973
Love LAD, but def weakest of the 4.
+3   

2 weeks ago '19        #11
Chaos LS  1 heat pts1
space
space
$277   Props total: 663 663
Only built 4 Cuban Linx can go easily

2 weeks ago '04        #12
C.R.I.P.  4 heat pts4
space
space
$19,933   Props total: 11572 11572
The infamous. Easy call.

2 weeks ago '19        #13
Jalalphill44 
space
space
space
$475   Props total: 578 578
Love Illmatic but it gotta go sorry
+1   

2 weeks ago '19        #14
Jalalphill44 
space
space
space
$475   Props total: 578 578
 seansmith777 said
The Infamous

Much more successful than their debut, The Infamous is hailed a New York classic. Its gritty underground style is a staple in the hardcore movement that was going on at this time in New York. This album helped New York Hip Hop to separate itself from the boom-bap style that was popular a few years prior. Havoc and Prodigy’s production shaped a new sound that could separate them from any out of Queens at the time.

Standout Tracks:

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx is arguably the best solo Wu-Tang album. Most of contemporary hip-hop's Mafioso-inspired themes and MC street aliases are inspired by the "Wu-Gambinos" motif introduced on this 18-cut LP. As the Wu's preeminent storyteller, Raekwon (a.k.a. "The Chef") paints Technicolor Kool G Rap-style pictures of high-stakes drug trafficking on "Criminology," and then mixes his street sensibility with 5% Nation of Islam reasoning on "Knowledge God." This album is loaded with RZA's finest production moments, as he samples a barrage of kung-fu flick sound bites, plays discordant keyboards on "Incarcerated Scarfaces," and utilizes some eerie female vocals on "Rainy Dayz." Rae's timeless duet with Nas on "Verbal Intercourse" further cements the album's status as one of the best of all time.

Standout Tracks:

Illmatic

There are few artists in hip-hop who have ever truly matched their hype. Twenty years ago today, on April 19, 1994, Nasir "Nas" Jones became one of them. On that day he released his highly-anticipated debut album, "Illmatic." And while the project didn't initially sell well, the 20-year-old Queensbridge native's music made an impact with the right crowd; namely, die-hard rap fans, industry insiders and most importantly, his peers. It was difficult to listen to the album for the first time and not be blown away. Escobar season was about to begin.

Standout Tracks:

Life After death

The King of Brooklyn, Biggie Smalls, busted through with an instant hip-hop classic on his first album, Ready to Die, but he outdid even his standard on Life After death, an audible, posthumous autobiography about the life of the former dope dealer. The 2 CD set revels in death, especially on "n*ggaz Bleed," "Somebody's Gotta Die," and "You're Nobody ('Til Somebody k*lls You)," but it's painfully clear that this fun-loving father of two wanted to see his kids grow up on "Sky Is the Limit" and "Miss U," both of which point to the future. The album also serves as a testament to Biggie's flexibility: he adopts Bone Thugs-N-Harmony's rapid rhyme flow and Midwestern beats when they guest on "Notorious Thugs," he positively bounces on both "Mo Money Mo Problems" and "Going Back to Cali" (guesting Eazy Mo Bee), and even kicks it Wu-Tang style when RZA shows up for "Long Kiss Goodnight."

Standout Tracks:

Can switch it up do the group album's next if you can

2 weeks ago '13        #15
gow  1 heat pts1
space
space
$2,534   Props total: 841 841

Top 10 most propped recently  2 weeks ago '19        #16
Badassbillygunn 
space
space
$793   Props total: 4940 4940
Damn this is hard but mobb deep gotta go n*ggas ain’t taking my Cuban links from me

+3   

2 weeks ago '07        #17
Verse  76 heat pts76
space
space
$17,735   Props total: 9723 9723

Last edited by Verse; 10-16-2019 at 07:06 PM..

2 weeks ago '11        #18
DJ Linx  6 heat pts6
space
space
$1,350   Props total: 3338 3338
Jesus....literally 4 of my top 5 favorite albums of all time....fu*k.....
+2   

2 weeks ago '15        #19
JRob1125  3 heat pts3
space
space
$5,149   Props total: 12374 12374
Sorry Rae

2 weeks ago '10        #20
knowlege bass 
space
space
$3,490   Props total: 971 971
I love Biggie, but in this scenario LAD falls to the bottom for me. Too much emotional baggage and experiences tied up in those other albums.
+3   

2 weeks ago '17        #21
Sucka Repellent  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
$22,756   Props total: 46838 46838
infamous gotta go!

n*ggas who sit between other n*ggas legs slap away....

2 weeks ago '05        #22
P DRILLA  118 heat pts118
space
space
$12,288   Props total: 14688 14688
LAD...shows something about the era when the worst album of those four was still a great album

2 weeks ago '11        #23
itstruemental  1 heat pts1
space
space
$752   Props total: 1160 1160
Sorry Rae.

I don't need Nas and Rae in the same to-go meal. Like having gourmet chicken and chicken from Walmart. The Mobb and Big are good side orders to compliment the entree.

Rae unfortunately is a poor man's Nas in this equation.

Last edited by itstruemental; 10-09-2019 at 07:10 PM..

2 weeks ago '12        #24
CosbySweater  304 heat pts304
space
space
$37,815   Props total: 23655 23655
Infamous gotta go.

Purple Tape, Life After death, and Illmatic are all better.

2 weeks ago '18        #25
ordoabchao  33 heat pts33
space
space
space
$5,591   Props total: 8987 8987
GTFOH Biggie...

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+83online now  18
Cousin Skeeter/One On One Actor Reveals He's A CRIP, Busts Out Flag
236 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+504online now  18
Image(s) inside How I make 4K+ a month 100% LEGALLY doing barely anything(if i'm lying..
242 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+22online now  12
Image(s) inside You guys were right about The Game
313 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  8
The first real photo of a PlayStation 5 dev kit appears