Jul 21 - ‘Swatting’ call leads to death of man targeted for his Twitter handle

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
141 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 week ago '11        #1
1514 page views
40 comments

Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x35
Props total: 157259 157 K  Slaps total: 21972 21 K
Jul 21 - ‘Swatting’ call leads to death of man targeted for his Twitter handle

BETHPAGE, Tenn. (WKRN) – Sixty-year-old Mark Herring was a tech guy.

“He was so smart,” recalled Corinna Fitch, one of Herring’s three daughters. Fitch said their father was always ahead of trends: “I think he joined Twitter the day or the week Twitter came about.”

He grabbed a handle that reflected his love for the state where he was born and raised his family.

“He just wanted to be @Tennessee because he loved the Vols,” said Fitch, with a slight smile.

As Twitter grew in popularity, it was evident to all that Herring owned prime internet property.

“He would just in passing say, I got another offer on my Twitter handle today,” Fitch said.

But Herring couldn’t be bought and that was made clear April 27, 2020.

It was late in the evening when Fitch’s doorbell rang. “I open the door and he says, ‘I have a pizza for Mark Herring,'” Fitch recalled. “He would have told me if he sent us pizza. I went away and called, texted — no response.”

Across town, Fitch’s sister Katie Hooge and their mother Fran Herring also received a pizza delivery.

“I said, I didn’t order [pizza],” Fran recalled.

Pizza after pizza showed up. All cash on delivery. Fitch posted a message on Facebook to her father: “Hey, I need you to call me.’ And my sister texted, ‘What’s this about?’ And I just said, ‘I just got pizza for Daddy at the house,’ and she said, ‘WE just got pizza for Daddy at our house.'”

Fitch thought it was a prank. Mark’s son-in-law Greg Hooge had a different gut feeling.

“I thought maybe something is wrong with Mark. I started calling him. I finally reached his live-in girlfriend,” Greg remembered. “She said, ‘everything is not OK. I’m in the back of a cop car. I got to go.'”

The family eventually learned, earlier that day, an anonymous caller demanded Mark hand over his Twitter handle worth thousands of dollars. Mark refused. Hours later, the unthinkable happened.

“His neighbor called and said, ‘there’s police everywhere and they think a man has k*lled a woman and he’s on your property. You need to take cover,'” Greg recalled.

“He went out of the house with a gun because he heard someone was on his property and he sees all these cops around him,” explained Fitch. “They ask if he’s Mark Herring and [say] ‘put your hands up.’ He tosses the gun away to show he’s not a threat then [puts his] hands up.”

The innocent grandfather’s heart stopped, minutes after being confronted by authorities who thought they were responding to an active crime scene.

“I believe he was scared to death, and that is what caused his heart attack,” said Fran.

His family rushed to Sumner Regional Medical Center where they learned more about Herring’s final moments.

“I went into the hospital to identify my Daddy,” said Katie Hooge.

The medical staff kept referring to a 911 call that was placed. “It had been a prank phone call or a swatting phone call,” said Greg.

Months later, the family learned about Shane Sonderman, who was a minor back in April 2020 when the crime was committed.

“He was from Tennessee,” Fitch said. “He’s the one that collected all of our information…my address, my sister, my mom’s, my other sister’s. He put it on a channel on Discord, which is a gaming chat forum.”

The private information was released for use as an intimidation tactic meant to convince Herring to hand over his one-of-a-kind Twitter handle. Herring refused.

Another minor was in on the scheme. “A kid in the United Kingdom made the call to my dad’s local police,” Fitch said.

The accomplice will not be extradited from the United Kingdom because he’s currently a minor.

Sonderman is currently behind bars awaiting trial. A Federal Grand Jury indictment claims he had six victims across the country. Herring was the only one who died.

“They’re not playing a game, and they’re not thinking it’s funny. This is legit extortion,” said Greg.

The handles typically sell for $3,000-$4,000 — “pennies compared to a life,” Fitch said

The family shared Herring’s story now for several reasons. “Watch your kids on the internet, because they know more than you think they know,” said Fitch.

And, they want those guilty of swatting to face tougher penalties.

“You’ve not just changed that person’s life, you’ve done a ripple effect. And, they need to pay for that.”

Sonderman faces a conspiracy charge with five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. He’s back in court on July 21st.

visit this link https://www.wkrn.com/news .. witter-handle/
+10   

best
worst
40 comments

1 week ago '18        #2
TheLuminousOne  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 36145 36 K  Slaps total: 1997 1 K
Smh dumb a*ses.
+7   

1 week ago '11        #3
Anti  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 46420 46 K  Slaps total: 3644 3 K
All for a username on a platform that has a dated naming policy… eventually they’ll get with the times and make unique handles irrelevant

1 week ago '21        #4
BigGVD 
Props total: 3818 3 K  Slaps total: 684 684
 Anti said
All for a username on a platform that has a dated naming policy… eventually they’ll get with the times and make unique handles irrelevant
Unique handles and verifications is the main reason celebs are on twitter and Instagram so heavy buddy
+7   

1 week ago '06        #5
Skateboard T  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 82832 82 K  Slaps total: 11374 11 K
The longer I’m alive the more I believe the internet was one of the worst things humanity ever invented.
+29   

1 week ago '07        #6
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x56
Props total: 83897 83 K  Slaps total: 9211 9 K
the fact that anyone can get cops to show up under false pretenses and they'll k*ll people for whatever is all you need to know about police
+17   

1 week ago '07        #7
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x56
Props total: 83897 83 K  Slaps total: 9211 9 K
 Skateboard T said
The longer I’m alive the more I believe the internet was one of the worst things humanity ever invented.
word, it certainly seems like we're not meant to be connected like this

1 week ago '20        #8
Oldbrooklyn718 
Props total: 15286 15 K  Slaps total: 1197 1 K
 Skateboard T said
My niece and I were just saying that sh*t last night...
+3   

1 week ago '18        #9
Taco 
Props total: 4464 4 K  Slaps total: 424 424
Its that trolling mentality that a lot of dumbasses are on these days. I would say its young & dumb kids on that sh*t but a lot of adults who never mentally grew up because they lived safe & privileged lives and never had to deal with real repercussions.

Its a real example of cultural degradation.
+14   

1 week ago '06        #10
Storchaveli  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 23634 23 K  Slaps total: 5133 5 K
There need to be HARDCORE consequences for doing this type of sh*t. Advertise it. If there aren’t any, it won’t stop anyone from pulling this BS. Hard time or hard fines for swatting calls. Keep fu*king around and find out.
+9   

1 week ago '08        #11
Nut-In-Honeys 
Props total: 20342 20 K  Slaps total: 2151 2 K

+2   

1 week ago '05        #12
projectd06 
Props total: 28939 28 K  Slaps total: 7125 7 K
How is someone able to make a call from the UK and no one finds it suspicious? No one though it was weird that the dude calling was calling cats "Blokes" and using phrases like "Taking the piss"? I want to hear that phone call that offers enough proof to kick a door in.
+3   

1 week ago '20        #13
I Know  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 5007 5 K  Slaps total: 5257 5 K
Isnt this the same Bx that was just all about people’s personal information to be available for all on them and these type of sites?

+1   

1 week ago '16        #14
kuul  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 83485 83 K  Slaps total: 9039 9 K
They will get a slap on the wrist, probably because jail will ruin them.
+1   

1 week ago '16        #15
Boogersugar  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 78229 78 K  Slaps total: 10579 10 K
This sh*thead is only facing 5 years and a $250k fine

+6   

1 week ago '04        #16
ddash 
Props total: 43386 43 K  Slaps total: 3131 3 K
smh damn shame
make an example of them
+1   

1 week ago '17        #17
Timmy 
Props total: 193 193  Slaps total: 12 12
The internet is a crazy thing. Literally handed all the knowledge of the world and interconnection to anybody anywhere, but people have to ruin everything by being toxic and attempting to bring others down. The internet isn't the problem, people are.
+7   

1 week ago '16        #18
LeastLoved 
Props total: 7773 7 K  Slaps total: 1386 1 K
Crazy that kids like this even exist. Who raised these mfs? They be the same ones screaming edgy racist sh*t on call of duty for no reason. Weirdos man smh
+6   

1 week ago '20        #19
Die in Houston  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 12504 12 K  Slaps total: 1256 1 K
Stop playin. What was the Twitter handle he died over?

1 week ago '04        #20
FynaL 
Props total: 223 223  Slaps total: 29 29
They need to lower the age of what a minor is
+2   

1 week ago '08        #21
Skilly713 
Props total: 22789 22 K  Slaps total: 1660 1 K
 Die in Houston said
Article says @nessee
+3   

1 week ago '04        #22
LightAndBlaze  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 30150 30 K  Slaps total: 765 765
 Die in Houston said
"He grabbed a handle that reflected his love for the state where he was born and raised his family.

He just wanted to be @nessee because he loved the Vols,” said Fitch, with a slight smile."

1 week ago '20        #23
Oldbrooklyn718 
Props total: 15286 15 K  Slaps total: 1197 1 K
 Nut-In-Honeys said

One of the Greatest HipHop joints of all time!!!

Beautiful music
+1   

1 week ago '20        #24
HipHop365 
Props total: 989 989  Slaps total: 102 102
 BigGVD said
Unique handles and verifications is the main reason celebs are on twitter and Instagram so heavy buddy
WRONG!

Celebs are on social media for promotion. That’s thy some of the don’t even use it themselves and task others with keeping it active.

1 week ago '20        #25
BlacksAndLatins  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 14236 14 K  Slaps total: 8015 8 K
R.I.P. to dude
@ @ @ all you russian f*g**ts getting gunned down next
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
-33online now  23
Real or fake : PJ Washington signs babymama Brittany Renner to 18 year dea..
46 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+46online now  15
OT Sha'Carri Richardson tweets the Olympics are trash w/o..
231 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
-25online now  15
Whatever happen to that kristine leahy chick
57 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+30online now  9
Video inside Wayne new chain