Nov 24 - Experts caution use of 'looting' in describing rash of Bay Area smash and grabs

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
67 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

4 days ago '11        #1
2017 page views
57 comments

Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x40
Props total: 166428 166 K  Slaps total: 23186 23 K
Nov 24 - Experts caution use of 'looting' in describing rash of Bay Area smash and grabs

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Bay Area police departments have called what happened at various retail stores this weekend "looting."

We saw similar crimes happen in the wake of the George Floyd protests, but are the past weekend's crimes truly considered looting?

Race and Social Justice Reporter Julian Glover is here to give us some context of looting.

"As the Bay Area grapples with a wave of seemingly organized smash and grab robberies this weekend, policing and journalism analysts are cautioning against the use of the term looting," Julian says.

"The Louis Vuitton store was burglarized and looted. The Burberry in Westfield Mall was burglarized and looted," said San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott in a press conference to reporters Saturday.

Chief Scott was detailing his department's response to a wave of potentially organized retail thefts and burglaries netting a million dollars in stolen luxury goods.

A San Jose Police Department spokesman updated the media on incidents of theft occurring in the South Bay over the weekend.

"We are talking about two incidents, we're not going to call this looting. This is organized robbery. That's what it is," said Sergeant Christian Camarillo, public information officer for San Jose Police.

Camarillo was referring to the $40,000 in merchandise stolen from Lululemon in Santana Row Saturday.

Similar crimes hit Hayward and Walnut Creek this weekend with waves of suspects rushing stores leading to major losses.

But according to the California Penal Code, what we saw was not looting.

The penal code defines looting as "theft or burglary...during a 'state of emergency', 'local emergency', or 'evacuation order' resulting from an earthquake, fire, flood, riot or other natural or manmade disaster."

To some, the distinction may be small, but Lorenzo Boyd, PhD, Professor of Criminal Justice & Community Policing at the University of New Haven, and a retired veteran police officer, emphasized that words matter.

"Looting is a term that we typically use when people of color or urban dwellers are doing something. We tend not to use that term for other people when they do the exact same thing," said Boyd.

To be clear, we don't know the identities or races of the majority of the thieves involved in this crime wave.

But we do know there was no local emergency declared in the Bay Area cities that experienced smash and grabs this weekend.

However, the crimes did follow the contentious verdict in the Kyle Rittenhouse trial Friday.

A jury found the teen not-guilty on all counts for shooting three men, k*lling two of them during a protest against police brutality last year in Wisconsin.

Local protests this weekend in response were largely small and peaceful.

"These types of massive, organized smash and grabs were happening before the Rittenhouse situation, because it happens cyclically," said Boyd. "It's a false equivalency. It's people trying to politicize crime."

Martin Reynolds, Co-executive director of the Robert C. Maynard Institute of Journalism Education thinks back to Hurricane Katrina, when largely Black New Orleans residents were labeled looters for crimes of survival - stealing water, food, and supplies before federal government aid arrived.

"This seems like it's an organized smash and grab robbery. This doesn't seem like looting. We're thinking of scenarios where first responders are completely overwhelmed. And folks, often may be on their own," he said.

Both experts expressed the importance of media literacy for viewers to critically think about the language used by public officials and the media as we all try to make sense of these complex issues our society is facing.

"People draw their own conclusions, if the terminologies that you use are tethered to people's understanding of how they have been used in the past," said Reynolds.

visit this link https://abc7news.com/reta .. source=twitter
+8   

best
worst
57 comments

4 days ago '21        #2
mypostmakesense  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 5055 5 K  Slaps total: 339 339
Organized robbery of insured goods from the worlds largest luxury brand. Could care less
+21   

4 days ago '20        #3
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 41738 41 K  Slaps total: 7765 7 K
These sticky finger muthafukas are also breaking into peoples cars , people better strap up for the inevitable home invasions
+20   

4 days ago '04        #4
goodi  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 9260 9 K  Slaps total: 2166 2 K
and im sure its mostly white ppl in them fu*king crowds.

4 days ago '17        #5
S550  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 8579 8 K  Slaps total: 3537 3 K
 mypostmakesense said
Organized robbery of insured goods from the worlds largest luxury brand. Could care less
Of insured goods ? Lol
Like the employees donít have to deal with police reports , security issues , filling out form after form.. like this dosent effect how people are profiled when they wanna come in.

Literally the dumbest comment and everyone wants to use it ď They are insured ď

Yea so that means they just chalk up loss and continue with there day right ?

If someone robbed your business u are gonna donít worry insurance will pay for it ?
+5   

4 days ago '17        #6
 goodi said
Lmao yea not sure if sarcasm or not but I guess you havenít watched the video which is all black teens

Just like they did the other day 80 of them

They have done over 12 of these in the last few months and 3 have been arrested ( all black men and women )
+1   

4 days ago '15        #7
Hellmatic 
Props total: 46784 46 K  Slaps total: 4568 4 K

"Looting is a term that we typically use when people of color or urban dwellers are doing something. We tend not to use that term for other people when they do the exact same thing," said Boyd.

+17   

4 days ago '04        #8
 S550 said
Lmao yea not sure if sarcasm or not but I guess you havenít watched the video which is all black teens

Just like they did the other day 80 of them

They have done over 12 of these in the last few months and 3 have been arrested ( all black men and women )
fu*k you i stand by what i said.

4 days ago '17        #9
lucifershammer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 68410 68 K  Slaps total: 6678 6 K
I wonder if their lawyer is going to use the same argument during arraignment

Top 10 most propped recently  4 days ago '20        #10
Gen Anti Fruit  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 78129 78 K  Slaps total: 4052 4 K
I saw that. Whole Bay Area getting smash & grabbed.

They caught 9 suspects from the LV heist I believe.

Honestly with the cost of living and economic divide what do they expect.

It’s a sh*t show. I can say rather see LV get ran through than Mom & Pop or Independent businesses.

Only thing is they are making it hot for their fellow boosters that are slick about it.

Security gonna be ramped up crazy at all the major designer spots and it’s gonna fu*k up the money for career boosters.

I don’t have a lot of sympathy for major conglomerate companies.
+8   

4 days ago '17        #11
 goodi said
fu*k you i stand by what i said.
Well your dumbass needed to be corrected
Itís idiots like you who make up sh*t and spread fake info

But now youíve learned
+6   

4 days ago '11        #12
0ddJoB 
Props total: 5681 5 K  Slaps total: 3530 3 K
 goodi said
Who actually cares
+2   

4 days ago '18        #13
DrinkWater 
Props total: 950 950  Slaps total: 172 172
 Gen Anti Fruit said
I saw that. Whole Bay Area getting smash & grabbed.

They caught 9 suspects from the LV heist I believe.

Honestly with the cost of living and economic divide what do they expect.

Itís a sh*t show. I can say rather see LV get ran through than Mom & Pop or Independent businesses.

Only thing is they are making it hot for their fellow boosters that are slick about it.

Security gonna be ramped up crazy at all the major designer spots and itís gonna fu*k up the money for career boosters.

I donít have a lot of sympathy for major conglomerate companies.
What ethnicity were the suspects that they caught?

4 days ago '11        #14
SomeOnesoN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 17449 17 K  Slaps total: 2343 2 K
I don't have sympathy for big businesses and corporations that overtake the business of mom and pop shops, but at the same time, I have NO sympathy for a thief. They could get shot on site for all I care.
+2   

4 days ago '17        #15
DaQCKing  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 109619 109 K  Slaps total: 4566 4 K
 Xiox said
These sticky finger muthafukas are also breaking into peoples cars , people better strap up for the inevitable home invasions
Let em run up

+1   

Top 10 most propped recently  4 days ago '20        #16
Gen Anti Fruit  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 78129 78 K  Slaps total: 4052 4 K
 DrinkWater said
What ethnicity were the suspects that they caught?
Why?
+1   

4 days ago '13        #17
PCDubya 
Props total: 11784 11 K  Slaps total: 1240 1 K
 mypostmakesense said
Companies bill in loss of items into the product, some as high as 1/3. So if you don't steal, theifs are causing you up to a 1/3 tax on products.

4 days ago '11        #18
awww  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 55954 55 K  Slaps total: 40795 40 K
keep looting these corporations
+2   

4 days ago '11        #19
BaseWhitaker 
Props total: 29711 29 K  Slaps total: 4350 4 K
 S550 said
Of insured goods ? Lol
Like the employees donít have to deal with police reports , security issues , filling out form after form.. like this dosent effect how people are profiled when they wanna come in.

If someone robbed your business u are gonna donít worry insurance will pay for it ?
Adding to your point -

I come from a Police Family: This is some of the most significant happenings for "Law & Order" Politicians. These types of Crime haven't been seen before and it feeds the Police State

People are willing to overlook Theft when it's a wealthy company, alright...

When you think about how absolutely bigoted the GOP and their constituents have been - They encourage on another to lean on principles of Authoritarianism as a means of securing easy votes

What better way to enact Neo-Stop & Frisk Policies, directly affecting citizens of all walks of live but of *course* Low-Income Neighborhoods

Once this capitulates into more Funding for major Police Unions - Trump was encouraging what I am talking about

Trump directly gave Police Districts *Military Armament*, imagine that in *this* Climate <

E.G: People will cluck out any ol' stupid sh*t they can to impress each other with "not caring" - Until the other side of the metric tilts scales in their favor

This country is woefully myopic: Microwave Mentality, people don't pay attention to sh*t. People do not like to read.

Reciept for anyone interested:

4 days ago '21        #20
 S550 said
Of insured goods ? Lol

My dear friend LVMH Group is the MOST VALUABLE LUXURY GROUP ON PLANET EARTH. Theyíll be quite alright.
+7   

4 days ago '21        #21
 PCDubya said
Companies bill in loss of items into the product, some as high as 1/3. So if you don't steal, theifs are causing you up to a 1/3 tax on products.
As if everything LV sells isnít already overpriced. I could care less if people steal this sh*t, I had no intention of buying it anyways. 1:1 can be found for less than 1/10th the price which means this sh*t is well overpriced to begin with. Argument could easily be made that the sale of these items constitutes a robbery in the first place.

I also donít agree with the bozo that said these are the same guys breaking into your car.
+6   

4 days ago '19        #22
OaklandSmokin 
Props total: 5741 5 K  Slaps total: 374 374
I went to my dispensary today and every window was boarded up. Doorman said they wasnt taking any chances.

A year ago they were driving Chargers off the lot. at least 10-15 of them.
+3   

4 days ago '18        #23
KdenIII 
Props total: 32432 32 K  Slaps total: 4787 4 K
 goodi said
+1   

4 days ago '04        #24
 S550 said
Well your dumbass needed to be corrected
It’s idiots like you who make up sh*t and spread fake info

But now you’ve learned
dweeb a*s n*gga you didnt correct sh*t, the links you posted aren't even from this SF event. if you want to sound like the smartest kid in the room at least be relevent dummy. just like you can post clips of black ppl looting, i can do the same for whites, just look at the entire city of portland.

everyone race has looters, its not a black thing.

shame on you all for trying to push that narrative.

Last edited by goodi; 11-24-2021 at 10:40 PM..
+2   

4 days ago '17        #25
 goodi said
dweeb a*s n*gga you didnt correct sh*t, the links you posted aren't even from this SF event. if you want to sound like the smartest kid in the room at least be relevent dummy. just like you can post clips of black ppl looting, i can do the same for whites, just look at the entire city of portland.

everyone race has looters, its not a black thing.

shame on you all for trying to push that narrative.

Now go to sleep goof troop

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  13
Article inside Kevin Hart's New Series "True Story" is FIRE. I THOUGHT KOUNTY WAYNE ..
65 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+118online now  8
Image(s) inside rottweiler/german shepard mix gotta be the coolest dog
111 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+67online now  8
Image(s) inside Remember when Young Money had a weak budget?
134 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  7
Video inside YouTuber puts $10,000 into a Crypto trading BOT for 16 Days
10 comments
1 day ago
@misc
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy