Nov 23 - Kevin Strickland, Convicted of Triple Murder, Exonerated After 40 Years in Prison

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
67 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

6 days ago '06        #1
1318 page views
44 comments

whammy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 22396 22 K  Slaps total: 1461 1 K
Nov 23 - Kevin Strickland, Convicted of Triple murder, Exonerated After 40 Years in Prison

A Missouri judge exonerated Kevin Strickland and ordered his immediate release after more than 43 years in prison on Tuesday.

Strickland served the longest prison time for a wrongful conviction in Missouri's history and also one of the longest in the history of the nation. Strickland, 62, is among 12 exonerees who have survived 40 years or more of prison, according to the National Registry of Exonerations.

Strickland had been convicted in 1979 for the 1978 murder of three people who were k*lled after four suspects broke into a Kansas City bungalow. The only person who survived the shootings, Cynthia Douglas, later identified Strickland as one of the suspects and testified during his two trials.

However, she later said police pressured her to tie Strickland to the crime. Douglas, who passed away in 2015, spent years trying to clear Strickland's name, according to testimony from her family, friends and a co-worker during the evidentiary hearing that led to Strickland's exoneration.

Strickland has long maintained his innocence. He has said he was home watching television during the time of the shootings. Additionally, The Kansas City Star reported that two other men who were convicted in the k*llings later insisted that Strickland wasn't with them.

The first trial for Strickland, who is Black, ended in a hung jury when the sole Black juror held out for acquittal. He was convicted by an all-white jury of one count of capital murder and two counts of second-degree murder in a second trial in 1979.

Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker announced in May that a review of the case led her to believe that Strickland was innocent. After the Missouri Supreme Court declined to hear Strickland's petition, Peters Baker used a new state law to seek the evidentiary hearing.

Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt filed motions that delayed the hearing several times. However, on Tuesday, Judge James Welsh ruled that Strickland be exonerated and immediately released.

Quinton Lucas, the mayor of Kansas City, celebrated the news of Strickland's release on Twitter Tuesday.

Kevin Strickland will be freed. Praise the Lord! My heart breaks that his mother never got the chance to see him free, but I am heartened that we have justice. My thanks to the Midwest Innocence Project, Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters-Baker, and all who fought for Kevin.
Mayor Q (@QuintonLucasKC) November 23, 2021

In a recent interview with The Washington Post, Strickland said there were two places that he hoped to visit if he were ever to be free again. One was the ocean, which he has never seen in person, and the other was his mother's grave.

"If we don't stop at the gravesite first, I'm going to get out of the car and I'm going to try to make it there on my hands and knees," Strickland said to the newspaper.
+12   

best
worst
44 comments

6 days ago '06        #2
whammy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1 OP
Props total: 22396 22 K  Slaps total: 1461 1 K
While we should celebrate his release, we should be upset that he will not be compensated for any day spent in prison.

+14   

6 days ago '21        #3
mypostmakesense  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 5055 5 K  Slaps total: 339 339
Happy he’s being released but they need to cut this man a check
+23   

6 days ago '21        #4
LuxG2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 23178 23 K  Slaps total: 4825 4 K
looking at the bright side now more of these wrongful convictions are being overturned

6 days ago '05        #5
pippen33 
Props total: 24102 24 K  Slaps total: 1897 1 K
Damn and they are saying he won't even get paid
+13   

6 days ago '17        #6
S PHX GOD 
Props total: 55033 55 K  Slaps total: 7791 7 K
 whammy said
While we should celebrate his release, we should be upset that he will not be compensated for any day spent in prison.

this is what tamika Mallory and mysonne should protest for.. his check.. not gas lighting their own people to this troy their own communities. black lives only matter when they're offered a check from their llc boss.
+7   

6 days ago '04        #7
Kziatic 
Props total: 2801 2 K  Slaps total: 597 597
 whammy said

Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt filed motions that delayed the hearing several times. However, on Tuesday, Judge James Welsh ruled that Strickland be exonerated and immediately released.

What a fu*king a**hole!
+19   

6 days ago '21        #8
outstanding  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x51
Props total: 28854 28 K  Slaps total: 25244 25 K

where's lebron

6 days ago '14        #9
Gotti Pippen  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 60035 60 K  Slaps total: 2448 2 K
 LuxG2 said
looking at the bright side now more of these wrongful convictions are being overturned
What fu*king bright side?

This man is retirement age. His mom passed away(rip), who knows what family he might have left. Hell feel like a burden even if he isnt.

The system used this man until he hit the age where he was probably costing them more money than anything.

fu*k that bi*ch Cynthia Douglas too
+27   

6 days ago '20        #10
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 41738 41 K  Slaps total: 7765 7 K
The man is truely evil , good luck to all the bros who got framed , tricked & set up by the man
+12   

6 days ago '06        #11
1 of 1 Houston 
Props total: 22022 22 K  Slaps total: 1906 1 K
A damn shame. These mfs have some serious payback coming. Men lie, women lie, GOD don't. Fire and brimstone waiting on 90+% of them ppo. Don't believe me just wait.
+7   

6 days ago '19        #12
Occult Mayne  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
Props total: 86049 86 K  Slaps total: 12809 12 K
 Gotti Pippen said
What fu*king bright side?

This man is retirement age. His mom passed away(rip), who knows what family he might have left. Hell feel like a burden even if he isnt.

The system used this man until he hit the age where he was probably costing them more money than anything.

fu*k that bi*ch Cynthia Douglas too
Right.

I remember Boosie had trouble adjusting to newer phones and social media and he only did 4 years let alone 40
+11   

6 days ago '16        #13
Boogersugar  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x14
Props total: 82776 82 K  Slaps total: 11337 11 K
Story after story like this comes out and somehow certain Boxden members never question crime statistics hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

+10   

6 days ago '21        #14
Still2Highh 
Props total: 15828 15 K  Slaps total: 2575 2 K
Ida been k*lled myself before livin in a cage for 40 yrs. Maybe I feel different if I was innocent..but still..they took that man whole life from him smh
+7   

6 days ago '15        #15
Spawn  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 78248 78 K  Slaps total: 7195 7 K
Shout out to the one black juror who tried to do the right thing. Got rid of our kind quick for that next judicial hanging though.
+9   

6 days ago '17        #16
77gen 
Props total: 1227 1 K  Slaps total: 84 84
2 things that stick out to me

1. The key witness had been trying for YEARS to clear the mans name. Why would they not listen to her?

2. The attorney general delaying the hearings constantly

This system is pure filth
+12   

6 days ago '20        #17
BuiltForThis  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 19899 19 K  Slaps total: 33316 33 K
four suspects broke into a Kansas City bungalow.

Additionally, The Kansas City Star reported that two other men who were convicted in the k*llings later insisted that Strickland wasn't with them.

So much more information left out of this / theses cases.
+1   

6 days ago '09        #18
ImAMonster  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 18912 18 K  Slaps total: 5983 5 K
Yeah this is fu*ked up. Give a sh*t about a check. That man basically lost his life anyways. America needs a new justice system from top to bottom. Stop the petty charges and for the love of God actually find out without a shadow of a doubt that you're charging the right person...disgusting.
+4   

6 days ago '08        #19
WavyGnu  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 30050 30 K  Slaps total: 2750 2 K
Let this man own Missouri for the time he spent. Give him the deed to the state.

+5   

6 days ago '21        #20
nocomment  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 9830 9 K  Slaps total: 1519 1 K
Misery
+1   

6 days ago '09        #21
Tom B. Stone 
Props total: 18122 18 K  Slaps total: 3023 3 K
If I was super wealthy like Musk or Bezos or someone, I’d give this dude 100 mill the day he gets out.
+5   

5 days ago '04        #22
7twelve 
Props total: 40337 40 K  Slaps total: 8772 8 K
 Tom B. Stone said
If I was super wealthy like Musk or Bezos or someone, Id give this dude 100 mill the day he gets out.
why? govt needs to exceedingly compensate him.

"However, she later said police pressured her to tie Strickland to the crime. Douglas, who passed away in 2015, spent years trying to clear Strickland's name, according to testimony from her family, friends and a co-worker during the evidentiary hearing that led to Strickland's exoneration."

when a witness comes forward saying authorities pressured them to go a certain way, the courts should speedily retry.

unfortunately people get wrongfully convicted all the time and have to wait for a good lawyer or evidence to come out later, but when a witness recants cuz of cops then making them wait forever for a retrial is bogus.
+5   

5 days ago '10        #23
soto 
Props total: 558 558  Slaps total: 6 6
 7twelve said
why? govt needs to exceedingly compensate him.

"However, she later said police pressured her to tie Strickland to the crime. Douglas, who passed away in 2015, spent years trying to clear Strickland's name, according to testimony from her family, friends and a co-worker during the evidentiary hearing that led to Strickland's exoneration."

when a witness comes forward saying authorities pressured them to go a certain way, the courts should speedily retry.

unfortunately people get wrongfully convicted all the time and have to wait for a good lawyer or evidence to come out later, but when a witness recants cuz of cops then making them wait forever for a retrial is bogus.
It's sad to say none of this actually surprises me. Hope this dude can pick up whatever pieces are left.

5 days ago '04        #24
7twelve 
Props total: 40337 40 K  Slaps total: 8772 8 K
 soto said
It's sad to say none of this actually surprises me. Hope this dude can pick up whatever pieces are left.
doubt it. 40 years is half a lifetime
+5   

5 days ago '05        #25
HARBINGER  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 27017 27 K  Slaps total: 8793 8 K
 Kziatic said

What a fu*king a**hole!
this man is scum
+2   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  20
Article inside Kevin Hart's New Series "True Story" is FIRE. I THOUGHT KOUNTY WAYNE ..
65 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+67online now  10
Image(s) inside Remember when Young Money had a weak budget?
134 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+118online now  9
Image(s) inside rottweiler/german shepard mix gotta be the coolest dog
110 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  4
Video inside YouTuber puts $10,000 into a Crypto trading BOT for 16 Days