Nov 22 - Growing share of childless adults in U.S. donít expect to ever have children

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
+35  39
54 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

7 days ago '07        #1
3366 page views
135 comments

yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x63
Props total: 97645 97 K  Slaps total: 12461 12 K
Nov 22 - Growing share of childless adults in U.S. donít expect to ever have children

Birth rates in the United States dropped during the COVID-19 pandemic amid the twin public health and economic crises, lending evidence to predictions from early on in the outbreak that economic uncertainty might trigger a baby bust.

This continued the downward trend in U.S. fertility rates, which were already at a record low before the pandemic began.

A new Pew Research Center survey finds that a rising share of U.S. adults who are not already parents say they are unlikely to ever have children, and their reasons range from just not wanting to have kids to concerns about climate change and the environment.

How we did this

A bar chart showing that the share of non-parents younger than 50 who say they are not likely to have children is up from 2018

Some 44% of non-parents ages 18 to 49 say it is not too or not at all likely that they will have children someday, an increase of 7 percentage points from the 37% who said the same in a 2018 survey.

Meanwhile, 74% of adults younger than 50 who are already parents say they are unlikely to have more kids, virtually unchanged since 2018.

Among parents and non-parents alike, men and women are equally likely to say they will probably not have kids (or more kids) in the future.

Perhaps not surprisingly, adults in their 40s are far more likely than younger ones to say they are unlikely to have children or to have more children in the future.

Some 85% of non-parents 40 to 49 say this, compared with 37% of those younger than 40.

And while 91% of older parents say they probably wonít have more kids, 60% of younger parents say the same.

A majority (56%) of non-parents younger than 50 who say itís unlikely they will have children someday say they just donít want to have kids.

Childless adults younger than 40 are more likely to say this than those ages 40 to 49 (60% vs. 46%, respectively).

There are no differences by gender.

Among childless adults who say they have some other reason for thinking they wonít have kids in the future, no single reason stands out.

About two-in-ten (19%) say itís due to medical reasons,

17% say itís for financial reasons and

15% say itís because they do not have a partner.

Roughly one-in-ten say their age or their partnerís age (10%) or the state of the world (9%) is a reason they donít plan to have kids.

An additional 5% cite environmental reasons, including climate change, and 2% say their partner doesnít want children.

When it comes to 18- to 49-year-old parents who say they are unlikely to have more children in the future, again a majority (63%) say itís because they just donít want to.

Fathers (69%) are more likely to say this than mothers (59%), as are parents younger than 40 (71%) when compared with those 40 to 49 (57%).

Among those younger than 50 who say there was some other reason why they probably will not have more children, age (theirs or their partnerís) and medical reasons were among the top reasons why (29% and 23% of this group said so, respectively), followed by financial reasons (14%) and the fact that they already have kids (11%).

Smaller shares cite the state of the world (4%), not having a partner (2%) or having a partner who doesnít want kids (2%).

Mothers and fathers generally give similar reasons for saying itís unlikely they will have more children, but mothers are more likely than fathers to mention medical reasons (27% vs. 16%), while fathers are more likely than mothers to cite already having kids (18% vs. 6%).

About a quarter of parents younger than 40 who donít expect to have more children in the future cite financial reasons (26%), compared with 8% of those 40 to 49.

The younger group is also more likely to mention not having a partner (6% vs. 1%), while older parents are more likely to say age is a reason why they donít expect to have more kids (41% of those 40 to 49 vs. 5% of those younger than 40).
+7   

best
worst
135 comments

7 days ago '07        #2
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x63 OP
best advice i can give anyone

don't borrow money and don't have kids

you might not be rich, but you'll have a level of freedom, few on this planet experience
+61   

7 days ago '07        #3
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x63 OP
people are quick to sh*t on gambling addicts

parents are engaging in the ultimate gamble of all

but they insist they have it figured out

just like a gambling addict

"don't tell me how to spend my money" sounds a lot like "don't tell me how to raise my kids"

all so billionaires can have mega-yachts with support yachts
+9   

7 days ago '16        #4
Boogersugar  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x14
Props total: 82776 82 K  Slaps total: 11337 11 K
Western countries are going to have to financially incentivize their citizens to have children or perish, pretty much. If they're smart, and they're not, they would increase benefits for married couples with children versus single people with children because intact nuclear family units are much more beneficial to society but I think politicians would be too scared to stand on that square
+45   

7 days ago '04        #5
ItAlY2BkLyN 
Props total: 33882 33 K  Slaps total: 8197 8 K
The ones who shouldn't have kids be the ones having the most

Most intelligent, responsible people are taking care to plan their futures and don't want to jeopardize their goals simply to adhere to traditional family norms.

Combine that with how fu*ked this world is, and it's no wonder people are thinking twice about brining kids into this world.
+58   

7 days ago '20        #6
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 41739 41 K  Slaps total: 7765 7 K
American race issues have been getting out of hand
+10   

7 days ago '04        #7
nobody 
Props total: 6901 6 K  Slaps total: 789 789
Im nearing 40 and im part of the probably won't have any kids list. First, I'd have to be married to even think about having children but the modern woman is dusty and not about sh*t so I can't even find a decent one to marry. Nothing but 304's out here so im just gonna stack my paper and enjoy life. My sister had 2 children when she was early 20's and they almost grown.

I helped raised them somewhat so that's good enough for me honestly. I had the experience of changing a sh*tty diaper, watching them take first steps, first words. Pre teen bs blah blah. Ive seen it all with them so Im good if I don't have any at this point.
+37   

7 days ago '06        #8
Curtisimo 
Props total: 4895 4 K  Slaps total: 1050 1 K
I be thinking of having children but the more I think about it the more I think would it really be that bad if I never have kids. I just know I'm not ready for it right now.
+11   

7 days ago '21        #9
mypostmakesense  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 5058 5 K  Slaps total: 339 339
I was apart of this until I found one of my exes the other day. Hoping to shoot the club up, if not I’ll rejoin y’all boys.
+6   

7 days ago '07        #10
acwmich 
Props total: 3153 3 K  Slaps total: 941 941
Who trying to have kids with some of these hoes anyway we incentivize shaking your a*s and dancing like a dumb a*s on tik tok
+18   

7 days ago '19        #11
Datcluety 
Props total: 956 956  Slaps total: 43 43
The way the economy is set up and the way these new bi*ches is set up. I got one and that’s all ima have maybe someone will be dumb enough to give her mom another one
+10   

7 days ago '17        #12
Skrr 
Props total: 2798 2 K  Slaps total: 273 273
You promote "grindset", multiple jobs, endless hustle, and also raise the prices on cost of living essentials, then this is the result. Even for well-moneyed yuppies, a kid doesn't fit in the career picture if you're trying to break into c-suite

open up the doors for immigrants or watch our country hollow out in 50 years
+21   

7 days ago '07        #13
biged79 
Props total: 6488 6 K  Slaps total: 358 358
fu*k kids. Expensive little bastards. I dont blame these people one bit.
+13   

Top 10 most slapped recently  7 days ago '16        #14
postemupndunkit 
Props total: 72036 72 K  Slaps total: 8555 8 K
Why don't they fix all the inequalities? Then see who wants to have kids?

n*ggas be in debt, underpaid and overworked and people be like , " when you having kids ?"
+36   

7 days ago '20        #15
Blcnze 
Props total: 486 486  Slaps total: 115 115
Don't act surprised. This what they wanted. To keep people single.
+15   

7 days ago '15        #16
PolygonMafia 
Props total: 15841 15 K  Slaps total: 1258 1 K
I'd love kids... right after I get the breadstack to have them correctly.

My parents always taught me that unless I can provide what I had growing up or better - I got no business bringing kids into this world. They ain't wrong.

I'm sure it's in the cards in the next 5 years. My girl and I have been pulling down a lot more the last few years and she's got that baby itch at 25 years old lmao
+9   

7 days ago '18        #17
Sandyy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 58997 58 K  Slaps total: 11567 11 K
me and my fiance already agreed no kids

my big bro got like 7 of em tho so I'ma probably leave all my sh*t to them
+15   

7 days ago '05        #18
olx9o 
Props total: 20763 20 K  Slaps total: 2072 2 K
Damn, lol...I'm definitely having kids with my wife next year, God Willing.

There's mad good women out here that ain't just thotting it up on social media but they just hidden in the corners of this wonky a*s world for yall

Y'all gotta travel more man...good people (and women) still exist
+21   

7 days ago '20        #19
lostOne 
Props total: 2357 2 K  Slaps total: 445 445
If you saw what i saw in the current state of society....you wouldn't either.

No intelligent person would. Society have conditioned the majority to be career/lifestyle oriented chasing a "dream and a never ending bag" and in reality its far from what people need. And besides the money, who wants to raise a kid in this society with all the fu*k-ness thats going on? You legit have to stay on their hip for sh*t not to happen, who wants to live like that worrying whats gonna happen next?

Just not ideal under these circumstances for a few reasons.
+5   

7 days ago '04        #20
Mercury 
Props total: 5226 5 K  Slaps total: 232 232
I have one child with my wife and have no plans of having any more. The cost of daycares, mortgages, student loans, etc have become atrocious
+12   

7 days ago '04        #21
octane 
Props total: 8783 8 K  Slaps total: 1633 1 K
I wish wealthy Black athletes and Rappers would join this demographic.
+4   

7 days ago '05        #22
blah blah blah  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x32
Props total: 95206 95 K  Slaps total: 79648 79 K
@ is 53 years old and will never have kids. He last had s*x in 2003

7 days ago '04        #23
d.c. supreme  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 31378 31 K  Slaps total: 1488 1 K
just america following in europe, japan, china, and south korea's footsteps. the economic incentive to not have kids just took a lil longer to reach the final seat of global capital (america) is all. like i've been talking about this is the great demographic collapse we're facing america is just a little later to the party than the other developed nations. and while it makes sense to people as individuals this is going to bring so much pain economically to the world and your standard of living in the coming decades.

i know that sounds insane because it is smarter for you individually to not take on the economic burden of kids but on a macro scale it's the end game to the economic model we've lived by since the 1700s. maybe it's for the best in the long run and something better is born out of it but something tells me with the leadership skills we've seen globally and at home i highly fu*king doubt that which is why i think the more likely scenario is massive global depression and a retreat to the ways before capitalism into full blown neo-fuedalism with the kings and lords being replaced by anyone rich enough to have resources carving out their own little kingdoms and some say we're kind of already to that point currently with the billionaire class, big tech, etc.
+14   

7 days ago '18        #24
dacoolestg 
Props total: 14650 14 K  Slaps total: 1974 1 K
add me to that demographic
+7   

7 days ago '05        #25
Micheal C. Will  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 106323 106 K  Slaps total: 13346 13 K
I don't know, it's alot people still out here having kids though

So I'm not sure how big of a sample size this research was when it was conducted, because I'm not seeing it in the OP.

It's simple for me, I just don't want any. sh*t I don't even have a pet.

I really just like doing my own thing without worrying about anyone or anything
+10   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+120online now  14
Image(s) inside rottweiler/german shepard mix gotta be the coolest dog
113 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  8
Video inside Nov 27 - Rally Against Vaccinations, Restrictions Held in Melbourne
54 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+68online now  8
Image(s) inside Remember when Young Money had a weak budget?
134 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  6
Video inside Ebro Under Fire For Resurfaced Video Saying Singer Tinashe Is Too Light..
104 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy