Jan 14 - The Army Found a Way to Keep Your Hands Warm Without Gloves

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 weeks ago '19        #1
3723 page views
51 comments

Stand Down  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
space
Props total: 9487 9 K  Slaps total: 13294 13 K
Jan 14 - The Army Found a Way to Keep Your Hands Warm Without Gloves

A person wearing the forearm-warming device with a sensor measuring their hand temperature

Civilians know how tough it is to send a text while wearing gloves. Now imagine soldiers trying to reload ammunition with a pair of thick gloves.

The U.S. Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine (USARIEM) understands this problem and has been working on a solution for the past few years. Now the USARIEM is finally engineering a new product: a device that heats your forearms to increase blood circulation to your fingertips, all without gloves.

It's not magic—it's just science. John Castellani, the principal investigator of the project, is a research physiologist and an expert on cold weather. Most of his work at USARIEM has been on soldier performance and reducing injuries during cold-weather operations. He tells Popular Mechanics that one of the greatest complaints among those who work outside is the stiffness of their hands in the cold elements.

"Anyone who has ever tried to do anything with their hands and fingers in the cold knows that it is hard to do when wearing gloves, because that degrades dexterity 50 to 80 percent," Castellani says. "And taking off the gloves helps, but then the hands get really cold and cannot work well anymore because of the lack of blood flow to the fingers."

The state-of-the-art technology that soldiers currently use to keep their hands warm is the same as in any other occupation: gloves or mittens. But that just won't cut it for those in the military who are loading ammunition, handling equipment, and treating others who are injured. The gloves restrict movement far too much to complete these tasks.

Castellani, who has been working with USARIEM on cold weather solutions since 1995, says our fingers get stiff in the cold because the harsh weather conditions have a direct impact on synovial fluid, or joint fluid, which fills the cavity between two bones and serves as a lubricant. Decreasing tissue temperatures, he says, impacts hand function in strength, power, mobility, and nerve conduction.

The biggest issue, though, is the lack of blood flow. "Warm blood coming from the core keeps the hands and fingers warmer," Castellani says. "One way to keep the hands warm is through vigorous activity; exercise will raise the core temperature, even in the cold, and that warm blood can keep the hands warm also."

Castellani says runners experience this in the cold, too. They begin wearing gloves but eventually take them off as their body heats during the exercise.

In 2018, Castellani and his team conducted a study to show heating parts of the body that are above the fingers—like the forearms or even the face—could improve blood circulation and therefore increase the temperature of participants' fingers as a result.

At the lab in Natick, Massachusetts, Castellani's team placed forearm and facial warming devices that resembled heating pads on eight test subjects. While inside a special environmental chamber that can simulate the cold—here, exactly zero degrees Celsius, the freezing point—the participants remained sedentary. Their fingers, on average, were between 10 and 11 degrees Celsius under those conditions. Once the heating devices were attached, Castellani and his team found that average finger temperature rose by about three degrees Celsius.

"The magic number we would like to get to is 15 degrees Celsius, which is a breakpoint finger skin temperature," he said. "But our three-degree increase improved dexterity about 50 percent, [which is] a good start."

While coming up with a device concept, Castellani says he especially focused on reducing the power requirements for maintaining higher finger temperature. Scientists have been developing cold weather technology for various parts of the body for over 80 years, he says, but the technology isn't practical for operations. To wear any such devices, soldiers would have to carry along heavy power sources along with the rest of their load.

So the USARIEM researchers wanted to create something small and unobtrusive this time around. Castellani says they targeted forearm heating because it's "essentially just heating the tissue proximal to the hand." The scientists applied warming patches to the face because physiology says cooling the face causes constriction of the blood vessels that supply the hands and feet.

"We thought heating this area might trick the body into thinking it needed to move blood and heat there to dissipate heat," says Castellani. "It didn't prove so."

The final device, then, will only involve heating the forearms.

Now that the science has been proved, an engineer is working on putting the final iteration of the prototype together. It's too soon to say what the final product might actually look like, Castellani says—though the version pictured above really does look like a heating pad strapped to the arm. The biggest challenge is getting as much heat to the arm as possible without losing it to the environment, so that will be taken into consideration during the design process.

It'll be at least a few years before we start seeing the military using the personal heating dexterity device, but once it's introduced, Castellani expects a commercial version for civilians will follow shortly thereafter.

"There are many people who would like a product like this—line workers in the winter, construction workers, mechanics, winter athletes, [and] people who get really cold hands," he says.

visit this link https://www.popularmechan .. arming-device/

Last edited by Stand Down; 01-14-2020 at 10:16 PM..
+7   

best
worst
51 comments

2 weeks ago '19        #2
Stand Down  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2 OP
space
space
space
 Read1bookaweek said
A heating pad for forearms. Dumb a*s sh*t won't work Kody
Science > ur god

+6   

2 weeks ago '12        #3
AlBooBoo 
space
space
Props total: 82093 82 K  Slaps total: 13533 13 K
I didn’t read..

What did they do?
+6   

2 weeks ago '05        #4
Scorpz 
space
space
Props total: 40547 40 K  Slaps total: 3231 3 K
Was expecting a video or at least a pic.. wanna see what this sh*t looks like..

Last edited by Scorpz; 01-14-2020 at 10:06 PM..
+17   

2 weeks ago '17        #5
DrOTGenesis 
space
space
space
Props total: 3042 3 K  Slaps total: 545 545
I be telling people that if this country can just divert just a tiny bit of the resources it allocates to the military, healthcare will be free.

Last edited by DrOTGenesis; 01-14-2020 at 10:11 PM..
+36   

2 weeks ago '13        #6
mkhrt92 
space
space
Props total: 15725 15 K  Slaps total: 3517 3 K
 Scorpz said
Was expecting a video or at least a pic.. wanna see what this sh*t looks like..
This
+2   

2 weeks ago '05        #7
HARBINGER 
space
space
Props total: 17208 17 K  Slaps total: 5811 5 K
 DrOTGenesis said
I be telling people that if this country can just divert some of the resources it allocated to the military, healthcare will be free.
this guy

2 weeks ago '17        #8
DrOTGenesis 
space
space
space
Props total: 3042 3 K  Slaps total: 545 545
 HARBINGER said
this guy
I never said they should do it just putting the whole thing in perspective
+3   

2 weeks ago '04        #9
qutaboi225  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
space
space
Props total: 21821 21 K  Slaps total: 2797 2 K
Man....once I add lube them faps gone be lit
+5   

2 weeks ago '13        #10
jjwms33 
space
space
space
Props total: 3226 3 K  Slaps total: 786 786
 DrOTGenesis said
I be telling people that if this country can just divert just a tiny bit of the resources it allocates to the military, healthcare will be free.
Facts... the thing is we have invaded so many countries and cause so many conflicts that if we stop advancing the military we will need more than health care.
+4   

2 weeks ago '04        #11
CentsCuZ 
space
space
Props total: 3446 3 K  Slaps total: 349 349
 DrOTGenesis said
Nah... "U.S. health care spending grew 4.6 percent in 2018, reaching $3.6 trillion or $11,172 per person."

2 weeks ago '19        #12
Free my soul  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
space
Props total: 3363 3 K  Slaps total: 1265 1 K
 Stand Down said
Science > ur god

You=a f*g

2 weeks ago '19        #13
Feti Mac 
space
space
Props total: 2033 2 K  Slaps total: 858 858

+1   

2 weeks ago '19        #14
Stand Down  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2 OP
space
space
space
 Free my soul said
You=a f*g

Autistic tranny lovin f*ggit runt troll with diseased f*ggit children is ur life.

2 weeks ago '14        #15
Blazeyy 
space
space
Props total: 17462 17 K  Slaps total: 2655 2 K
 Stand Down said
Autistic tranny lovin f*ggit runt troll with diseased f*ggit children is ur life.

Wtf is wrong with some of you
+4   

2 weeks ago '04        #16
nwking  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 9653 9 K  Slaps total: 1345 1 K
 DrOTGenesis said
All true but the insurance industry in America and the pharmaceutical companies are too big. Did you know in multiple countries in Europe you can't even advertise drugs on TV radio or print.
+4   

2 weeks ago '17        #17
PackerTrelli3 
space
space
Props total: 19503 19 K  Slaps total: 7525 7 K
I’ll never forget in basic training, they gave us waffle tops and bottoms..... but we got punished if anyone was caught wearing them under their OCPs

Hell, it’d be 30 degrees, and we still had to train in our shorts If one person made a mistake, out of the whole company (4 platoons=200 soldiers) like wearing the beanie, or gloves....

“Oh, we have a private that wants to do his own thing??? Wants to be an individual??? Not a problem!! We can fix that!!! EVERYBODY GET THE fu*k TO YOUR BAYS AND GET INTO YOUR SUMMER PT’S!!! HURRY THE fu*k UP PRIVATES”

The memories...
+5   

2 weeks ago '17        #18
92baby 
space
space
Props total: 35752 35 K  Slaps total: 5586 5 K
 DrOTGenesis said
Military and health care should go hand in hand
+1   

2 weeks ago '18        #19
Dehone 
space
space
Props total: 17593 17 K  Slaps total: 747 747
 DrOTGenesis said
Not with annual health care spending in reaching 4 million and the military budget not even breaking 800 billion this after the proposed increase this year

Last edited by Dehone; 01-14-2020 at 11:56 PM..
+1   

2 weeks ago '18        #20
Dehone 
space
space
Props total: 17593 17 K  Slaps total: 747 747
 PackerTrelli3 said
I’ll never forget in basic training, they gave us waffle tops and bottoms..... but we got punished if anyone was caught wearing them under their OCPs

Hell, it’d be 30 degrees, and we still had to train in our shorts If one person made a mistake, out of the whole company (4 platoons=200 soldiers) like wearing the beanie, or gloves....

“Oh, we have a private that wants to do his own thing??? Wants to be an individual??? Not a problem!! We can fix that!!! EVERYBODY GET THE fu*k TO YOUR BAYS AND GET INTO YOUR SUMMER PT’S!!! HURRY THE fu*k UP PRIVATES”

The memories...
They hit us with that same sh*t in basic. Couldn't wear our waffle tops and it was cold as a bi*ch in January

We wouldn't even be doing anything wrong and we would get to the drill pad and 1SG be like "downgrade to shorts. Beanies off!" We out there looking at this son of a bi*ch through the droplets of water on the air like

Rat raced fu*k

Last edited by Dehone; 01-14-2020 at 11:57 PM..
+5   

2 weeks ago '06        #21
daffysm 
space
space
Props total: 3511 3 K  Slaps total: 1699 1 K
 PackerTrelli3 said

we just decided as a group that we would all wear them and nobody would take them off

worked perfectly, until it warmed up....

2 weeks ago '19        #22
GetYaCoinsKing 
space
space
Props total: 13216 13 K  Slaps total: 2864 2 K
Damn i expected something more advanced for military technology smh.
+3   

2 weeks ago '16        #23
BathWaterMelody  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 45025 45 K  Slaps total: 6500 6 K
 Stand Down said
Science = God

fixed.
+3   

2 weeks ago '16        #24
Ghostface Killa 
space
space
Props total: 6939 6 K  Slaps total: 1090 1 K
They getting ready to send them shooters to Russia
+3   

2 weeks ago '10        #25
JWebb 
space
space
space
Props total: 811 811  Slaps total: 215 215
 PackerTrelli3 said

The memories...
I made two mistakes with my polypro cold weather gear. Rocked it during a road march and another time fell asleep in my sleeping bag with it on. Nothing worse than freezing your a*s off because of sweating profusely. The waffle tops and bottoms were not issued to me until a few years after basic training. We were still rocking the sweatpants and sweatshirts for PT back then and BDUs
+1   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+175online now  50
Been watching new, tributes, memorials of Kob all day, figured a bit out
61 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
-31online now  36
Prophet of God predicts a sudden death of major b-ball player back in 2011
37 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+81online now  36
Article inside There’s some weird energy in Hollywood right now
171 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+83online now  19
Kobe and Wife Vanessa Had a Deal That They Would Never Fly on a Helicopter..
181 comments
1 day ago
@sports
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy