Method Man added to Power Book II

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
-30  101
57 comments @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

2 weeks ago '07        #1
1643 page views
25 comments

Bkjj11  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x14
space
space
Props total: 114981 114 K  Slaps total: 19929 19 K
Method Man added to Power Book II

Mary J. Blige and Method Man are teaming up once again. This time, however, it’ll be on-screen, not in the booth. According to Deadline, the two are slated to lead a spinoff of Starz’s fan-favorite series Power. The next chapter, Power Book II, will take place after the events of the Power‘s finale, which will air February 9. Method Man will portray the “ambitious and savvy” attorney Davis Maclean. Blige’s character is reportedly a leader of the New York City underworld.

Both Method Man and Mary J. have beefed up their on-screen resumes in recent years. Blige made her film debut in 2001’s Prison Song, alongside Q-Tip, Fat Joe, and others. She held multiple roles mostly portraying singers before starring as Malcolm X’s widow in 2003’s Betty and Coretta. Before then, she made multiple cameos playing herself in shows like 30 Rock, Entourage and The Jamie Foxx Show. In 2017, she recorded a major milestone, earning a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for her role as Florence Jackson in Mudbound.

Over the last two decades, Method Man appeared as Calvin “Cheese” Wagstaff in HBO fan-favorite The Wire. He also played convicted murderer Tug Daniels in HBO’s acclaimed series Oz for four episodes. In more recent years, The Wire‘s creators David Simon and George Pelecanos recruited him to appear in HBO’s The Deuce. Additionally, he appeared in TNT’s The Last O.G. alongside Tracy Morgan and Tiffany Haddish.

+10   

best
worst
25 comments

2 weeks ago '17        #2
1Oh 
space
space
Props total: 24088 24 K  Slaps total: 969 969

Full circle.
+25   

2 weeks ago '09        #3
That Guy Fly 
space
space
Props total: 25918 25 K  Slaps total: 8202 8 K
So she will be the new Ghost and Meth is black Sax.
+4   

2 weeks ago '10        #4
stizz44 
space
space
Props total: 2354 2 K  Slaps total: 573 573
They going to get any real actors for this show?
+1   

2 weeks ago '17        #5
1Oh 
space
space
 stizz44 said

+18   

2 weeks ago '04        #6
9th ward Bally 
space
space
Props total: 5303 5 K  Slaps total: 192 192
“....And now n*gga”
+11   

2 weeks ago '10        #7
marx1684 
space
space
Props total: 11612 11 K  Slaps total: 1213 1 K
Method Man is crucial for the rebuild.

Letting go of the franchise to capitalize on a rebranding bag is intelligent. 50 & Meth are getting to the bags. Pay attention (respect to Star)

If they follow with enough good content they'll be straight.

Bless the hearts of their forgiving core fanbase.
+4   

2 weeks ago '10        #8
stizz44 
space
space
 1Oh said

Everyone needs their shot. Nobody gave a fu*k about Omari Hardwick until now. If they giving all the key roles already established millionaire washed hiphop artists, were is the opportunity for upcoming artists to grow?

Mary J is decent, but she aint anything special that a young actor replicate or exceed.

2 weeks ago '17        #9
1Oh 
space
space
 stizz44 said
Everyone needs their shot. Nobody gave a fu*k about Omari Hardwick until now. If they giving all the key roles already established millionaire washed hiphop artists, were is the opportunity for upcoming artists to grow?

Mary J is decent, but she aint anything special that a young actor replicate or exceed.
First off, this is only two out of God knows how many characters over the life of this spinoff series. Even the original Power had 50 Cent, 3LW chick, and Rotomi, yet plenty of up & coming actors are still featured heavily on the show and benefited from it. So this concern about Meth and MJB is fake outrage.

And second, Meth and MJB have already earned their stripes in acting. They ain't just wake up and decided to act when Starz called for Power. Meth especially has been acting for damn near 20 years now. So to say that he's stealing roles from "more credible" actors, when Meth has been acting way longer than alotta actors at this point, is more bullsh*t.

+10   

2 weeks ago '10        #10
stizz44 
space
space
 1Oh said
First off, this is only two out of God knows how many characters over the life of this spinoff series. Even the original Power had 50 Cent, 3LW chick, and Rotomi, yet plenty of up & coming actors are still featured heavily on the show and benefited from it. So this concern about Meth and MJB is fake outrage.

And second, Meth and MJB have already earned their stripes in acting. They ain't just wake up and decided to act when Starz called for Power. Meth especially has been acting for damn near 20 years now. So to say that he's stealing roles from "more credible" actors, when Meth has been acting way longer than alotta actors at this point, is more bullsh*t.

Where is the outrage? I asked if they going to have real actors and you responded Mary Js Academy Award nominee like she got her stardom from acting. She will always be an artist 1st, then an actor.

Second, the POWER production team took a show that was supposed to be 3 seasons and extented it due to popularity while comprising the quality of the story. So lets not act like they wouldnt try to ride the momentum of POWER into another series and use Hollywood names to attract viewers/ratings.

2 weeks ago '17        #11
1Oh 
space
space
 stizz44 said
Where is the outrage? I asked if they going to have real actors and you responded Mary Js Academy Award nominee like she got her stardom from acting. She will always be an artist 1st, then an actor.
MJB is a real actor tho. She got IMDB credits, she got her SAG card, she earned one of the highest recognitions from her peers in the acting industry. Alot of people started in other careers before acting, that doesnt make them not actors.

Second, the POWER production team took a show that was supposed to be 3 seasons and extented it due to popularity while comprising the quality of the story. So lets not act like they wouldnt try to ride the momentum of POWER into another series and use Hollywood names to attract viewers/ratings.
So what's your point?? You're concerned about the quality of the show because Meth and MJB are being casted, but they have more experience & accolades than the "musicians turned actors" that are on the original Power. You make no sense. If anything, Meth and MJB are upgrades compared to 50 Cent, 3LW, and Rotomi.

Yes, MJB and Meths name recognition in music does play a factor in their casting, they're legends in the black community and it will draw in millions of ppl off that alone. And on top of being legends, they're qualified actors with credits to prove it.
+6   

2 weeks ago '07        #12
Bkjj11  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x14 OP
space
space
Props total: 114981 114 K  Slaps total: 19929 19 K
Mary j playing a kingpin kinda role. Im intrigued. She cant be worse than the bi*ch that play Tasha
+2   

2 weeks ago '17        #13
arms  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 9222 9 K  Slaps total: 1230 1 K
 stizz44 said
Method Man slander will not be tolerated
+3   

2 weeks ago '19        #14
Feti Mac 
space
space
Props total: 2029 2 K  Slaps total: 853 853
 stizz44 said

+1   

2 weeks ago '10        #15
stizz44 
space
space
 1Oh said
MJB is a real actor tho. She got IMDB credits, she got her SAG card, she earned one of the highest recognitions from her peers in the acting industry. Alot of people started in other careers before acting, that doesnt make them not actors.

So what's your point?? You're concerned about the quality of the show because Meth and MJB are being casted, but they have more experience & accolades than the "musicians turned actors" that are on the original Power. You make no sense. If anything, Meth and MJB are upgrades compared to 50 Cent, 3LW, and Rotomi.

Yes, MJB and Meths name recognition in music does play a factor in their casting, they're legends in the black community and it will draw in millions of ppl off that alone. And on top of being legends, they're qualified actors with credits to prove it.
"But, but, you make no sense!"

You know damn well when you think of Mary J the 1st thing that comes to mind isnt her being an actress.

I wasnt comparing them to 50 cent, LALa. Or whoever. I was asking if they going to get any real actors. Furthermore, since YOU want to compare MaryJ and Meth, they are far down the list of Rappers turned actors when you got people like Will Smith, Ice Cube, and even Ice-T deeper in the acting game than them.

2 weeks ago '05        #16
Rockstar718 
space
space
Props total: 18536 18 K  Slaps total: 1722 1 K
 stizz44 said

You know damn well when you think of Mary J the 1st thing that comes to mind isnt her being an actress.
I get it. You don't consider MJB and/or Meth as real actors because they aren't "classically trained". It doesn't take away from the body of work they have accumulated over the years. It doesn't take away the fact that MJB won a nomination over literally hundreds of other women who were in movies that year.

According to your logic, anybody who did one thing can't ever be something else later. Magic Johnson played basketball so he could never later become known as a team owner. Ronald Reagan acted so he never could end up president, etc. What you do or are known for doesn't have any impact on their ability to do other things. Some people can do multiple things at a high level.

Two characters do not make up the whole show. But early casting of popular musicians/actors, well known to the fans of Power, is good to stir interest.

Will they cast those that you may consider "actors", of course, these castings help them gain interest and become willing to join the cast. But at the end of the day Meth and Mary are real actors who have put in real work and have auditioned for roles and not just be gifted them due to their name (although they didn't always have to always, just like other talented actors). Just because they are known as musicians doesn't mean they can't be known for/good as actors also

2 weeks ago '17        #17
1Oh 
space
space
 stizz44 said

I wasnt comparing them to 50 cent, LALa. Or whoever. I was asking if they going to get any real actors. Furthermore, since YOU want to compare MaryJ and Meth, they are far down the list of Rappers turned actors when you got people like Will Smith, Ice Cube, and even Ice-T deeper in the acting game than them.
Let's cut the bullsh*t. You tried to be slick to discredit MJB and Meth by claiming they're not "real actors" and I corrected u on it with facts. I know it can be damaging to the ego sometimes when somebody sets you straight, but it's okay bro.

+5   

2 weeks ago '18        #18
Irenekush 
space
space
Props total: 904 904  Slaps total: 342 342
Idk but Power sucks. Those writers tried to live up to the hype but way over did it. Never let the fans dictate the storylines to keep the fans intrigued. No way they could do a season 7.
+1   

2 weeks ago '04        #19
cuzjuan 
space
space
Props total: 4694 4 K  Slaps total: 2059 2 K
 Bkjj11 said

Mary J. Blige and Method Man are teaming up once again. This time, however, it’ll be on-screen, not in the booth. According to Deadline, the two are slated to lead a spinoff of Starz’s fan-favorite series Power. The next chapter, Power Book II, will take place after the events of the Power‘s finale, which will air February 9. Method Man will portray the “ambitious and savvy” attorney Davis Maclean. Blige’s character is reportedly a leader of the New York City underworld.

Both Method Man and Mary J. have beefed up their on-screen resumes in recent years. Blige made her film debut in 2001’s Prison Song, alongside Q-Tip, Fat Joe, and others. She held multiple roles mostly portraying singers before starring as Malcolm X’s widow in 2003’s Betty and Coretta. Before then, she made multiple cameos playing herself in shows like 30 Rock, Entourage and The Jamie Foxx Show. In 2017, she recorded a major milestone, earning a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for her role as Florence Jackson in Mudbound.

Over the last two decades, Method Man appeared as Calvin “Cheese” Wagstaff in HBO fan-favorite The Wire. He also played convicted murderer Tug Daniels in HBO’s acclaimed series Oz for four episodes. In more recent years, The Wire‘s creators David Simon and George Pelecanos recruited him to appear in HBO’s The Deuce. Additionally, he appeared in TNT’s The Last O.G. alongside Tracy Morgan and Tiffany Haddish.

does not sound good and the title is named after a laptop computer? i-yi-yi smh

2 weeks ago '10        #20
stizz44 
space
space
 1Oh said
Let's cut the bullsh*t. You tried to be slick to discredit MJB and Meth by claiming they're not "real actors" and I corrected u on it with facts. I know it can be damaging to the ego sometimes when somebody sets you straight, but it's okay bro.

Common man. Method Man started as a rapper and its debatable whether he is the best actor to even come out of Wu-Tang.

If you call that a real actor i dont know what is.

2 weeks ago '05        #21
Quddus 
space
space
space
Props total: 9306 9 K  Slaps total: 2319 2 K
 Irenekush said
Idk but Power sucks. Those writers tried to live up to the hype but way over did it. Never let the fans dictate the storylines to keep the fans intrigued. No way they could do a season 7.
They should have done a season 7. But they wanted to end it at 6 to try and keep things fresh and have all these spinoffs.

I have a feeling Power book 2 won't be as good. It's like ghost had so many different storylines they could have gone into with him becoming a politician. Oh well, I did enjoy the show in the last 6 seasons.

Something new will come along.

2 weeks ago '05        #22
Quddus 
space
space
space
Props total: 9306 9 K  Slaps total: 2319 2 K
 Irenekush said
They should have done a season 7. But they wanted to end it at 6 to try and keep things fresh and have all these spinoffs.

I have a feeling Power book 2 won't be as good. It's like ghost had so many different storylines they could have gone into with him becoming a politician. Oh well, I did enjoy the show in the last 6 seasons.

Something new will come along. Snowfall will be back on.

2 weeks ago '16        #23
Teknicks 
space
space
Props total: 22504 22 K  Slaps total: 3903 3 K
 1Oh said

Power has a huge cast. They do a respectable job but sometimes the talent is lacking.

2 weeks ago '18        #24
Irenekush 
space
space
Props total: 904 904  Slaps total: 342 342
 Quddus said

Something new will come along. Snowfall will be back on.
My problem is that I compare everything to 'The Wire', the greatest series ever.

Top 10 most propped recently  2 weeks ago '19        #25
Okka 
space
space
Props total: 1550 1 K  Slaps total: 127 127
 1Oh said

Full circle.
The greatest love song of all time.
+1   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
-34online now  32
Comedian Ari Shaffir disrespects Kobe's death (best friend of Joe Rogan)
122 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+69online now  29
Article inside There’s some weird energy in Hollywood right now
145 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+87online now  28
Image(s) inside King Los Checks Comedian Tony Hinchcliffe For Disrespecting Kobe Bryant
125 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+77online now  11
Image(s) inside Sauce Money Has Something to say about Diddy "365 Days A Year" Academy..
126 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy