Jan 13 - CNN reports Bernie Sanders told Elizabeth Warren in 2018 that a woman can't win

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 weeks ago '07        #1
1435 page views
97 comments

theFREAK  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x31
space
space
Props total: 93985 93 K  Slaps total: 22363 22 K
Jan 13 - CNN reports Bernie Sanders told Elizabeth Warren in 2018 that a woman can't win

The stakes were high when Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren met at Warren's apartment in Washington, DC, one evening in December 2018. The longtime friends knew that they could soon be running against each other for president.

The two agreed that if they ultimately faced each other as presidential candidates, they should remain civil and avoid attacking one another, so as not to hurt the progressive movement. They also discussed how to best take on President Donald Trump, and Warren laid out two main reasons she believed she would be a strong candidate: She could make a robust argument about the economy and earn broad support from female voters.

Sanders responded that he did not believe a woman could win.

The description of that meeting is based on the accounts of four people: two people Warren spoke with directly soon after the encounter, and two people familiar with the meeting.

That evening, Sanders expressed frustration at what he saw as a growing focus among Democrats on identity politics, according to one of the people familiar with the conversation. Warren told Sanders she disagreed with his a*sessment that a woman could not win, three of the four sources said.

Sanders denied the characterization of the meeting in a statement to CNN.

"It is ludicrous to believe that at the same meeting where Elizabeth Warren told me she was going to run for president, I would tell her that a woman couldn't win," Sanders said. "It's sad that, three weeks before the Iowa caucus and a year after that private conversation, staff who weren't in the room are lying about what happened. What I did say that night was that Donald Trump is a s*xist, a racist and a liar who would weaponize whatever he could. Do I believe a woman can win in 2020? Of course! After all, Hillary Clinton beat Donald Trump by 3 million votes in 2016."

Warren's communications director Kristen Orthman declined to comment.

Warren: I'm disappointed Sanders is sending volunteers 'out to trash me'
Warren: I'm disappointed Sanders is sending volunteers 'out to trash me'
These previously unreported details from the two senators' private meeting shed new light on the careful efforts that Warren and Sanders appear to have made to manage their friendship and political rivalry even before the 2020 race was officially underway. From the start, even as both candidates were determined to capture the Democratic nomination, they were also keenly sensitive to the risk that their rivalry could divide the progressive movement.

The conversation also illustrates the skepticism among not only American voters but also senior Democratic officials that the country is ready to elect a woman as president, several years after one clinched a major political party's nomination for president for the first time. Many Democrats believe s*xism played a role in Hillary Clinton's defeat in the 2016 general election, and voters say they are torn about whether to try again to put a woman in the White House in 2020.

The revelation that Sanders expressed skepticism that Warren could win the presidency because she is a woman is particularly noteworthy now, given that Warren is the lone female candidate at the top of the Democratic field. And notably, their meeting in December 2018 came just weeks after a record number of women had been elected to the House of Representatives, helping to deliver the majority to the Democrats.

Democrats have been intensely debating questions of identity and representation in recent years, and the party's historically diverse field of White House candidates this cycle has featured multiple women.

Sanders himself weighed in shortly after the 2016 election, saying that "one of the struggles that you're going to be seeing in the Democratic Party is whether we go beyond identity politics."

"I think it's a step forward in America if you have an African American CEO of some major corporation. But you know what, if that guy is going to be shipping jobs out of this country, and exploiting his workers, it doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot whether he's black or white or Latino," he said at an appearance in Boston to promote his book, according to WBUR.

"Name your favorite woman president"

Warren has grown increasingly vocal over the past few months on the role of s*xism and gender inequality in politics, including experiences the Massachusetts Democrat said she has endured in the years that she has been in public office.

On the campaign trail, Warren tells voters the story of how some male colleagues have advised her to "smile more" and being discouraged from running for Senate in 2012 because she was a woman.

"Over and over, we are told that women are not allowed to be angry. It makes us unattractive to powerful men who want us to be quiet," Warren wrote in a campaign email in November, with the subject line: "I am angry and I own it."

Three weeks ahead of the Iowa caucuses, Warren is now the only woman polling in the double-digits nationally. A new CNN/Des Moines Register/Mediacom poll showed Warren in a four-way race in Iowa, along with Sanders, former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg and former Vice President Joe Biden. In that survey, Sanders and Warren performed nearly equally well as the top choice among female likely Democratic caucusgoers, while Sanders and Buttigieg were the top choice among men.

Elizabeth Warren is now the lone female candidate at the top of the 2020 field, and she wants you to know it
Elizabeth Warren is now the lone female candidate at the top of the 2020 field, and she wants you to know it
Last month, Warren said in Las Vegas that she had "lived enough of my life with men, and it's mostly been men, telling me to sit down and be quiet." Days later, she acknowledged that this was a dynamic she had experienced in the current campaign.

Warren's rivals have also grappled with the issue of s*xism in politics. Biden recently said on the campaign trail that Clinton had confronted "unfair" s*xist attacks in the last election, and added: "That's not going to happen with me."

Sen. Amy Klobuchar said recently that female candidates with as little political experience as Buttigieg would not have qualified for the presidential debate. "Women are held to a higher standard," the Minnesota Democrat said. "Otherwise we could play a game called 'Name Your Favorite Woman President,' which we can't do because it has all been men."

A fraying non-aggression pact

The New York Times first reported over a year ago that Warren and Sanders met in Washington in December 2018. That initial report said that neither senator sought each other's support, and that they did not try to dissuade one another from running in the 2020 election.

If Warren and Sanders agreed on a non-aggression pact of sorts that night, that agreement has become increasingly frayed.

Over the last year, Sanders aides and advisers have taken to social media to criticize Warren on numerous issues, including "Medicare for All," student loan debt cancelation and the "wealth tax." Some of his allies have also implicitly and explicitly gone after Warren on the broader question of who has the rightful claim to the progressive mantle in 2020.

"People have to decide do they want originals or do they want copies," Nina Turner, Sanders' campaign co-chair, told CNN over the summer. "He's the original."

Politico reported over the weekend on the Sanders campaign's talking points instructing volunteers to say that Warren's supporters are "highly-educated, more affluent people who are going to show up and vote Democratic no matter what" and that "she's bringing no new bases into the Democratic Party."

Campaigning in Marshalltown, Iowa, Warren told reporters that she was "disappointed to hear that Bernie is sending his volunteers out to trash me."

"Bernie knows me, and has known me for a long time," Warren said. "He knows who I am, where I come from, what I have worked on and fought for, and the coalition and grassroots movement we're trying to build."

Sanders himself appeared to distance himself from the memo, saying on Sunday that his campaign has "hundreds of employees" and that "people sometimes say things that they shouldn't."

"I have never said a negative word about Elizabeth Warren, who is a friend of mine," Sanders said.

Last edited by theFREAK; 01-13-2020 at 12:45 PM..

best
worst
97 comments

2 weeks ago '18        #2
Juliette DaBlok  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
Props total: 33538 33 K  Slaps total: 4228 4 K
Doubt it's true. But even if it was true, at least he didn't say he could just walk up to em and grab em by their pu**y whenever he wanted....oh wait
+18   

2 weeks ago '16        #3
MadMarlo 
space
space
space
Props total: 7696 7 K  Slaps total: 1348 1 K
sh*t sound fake...

Bernie don't talk like that lol
+17   

2 weeks ago '06        #4
Skateboard T 
space
space
Props total: 51812 51 K  Slaps total: 7104 7 K
Sanders denies the characterization of the conversation and Warren hasn't commented.

Highly doubt CNN is being very generous regarding their characterization.

A more accurate headline I imagine would be "Sanders told Warren that the voting US population seems very resistant to the idea of a female president".

Interested to see if/what Warren's team says.
+11   

2 weeks ago '17        #5
Mr Scaramucci  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x35
space
space
Props total: 78112 78 K  Slaps total: 17525 17 K
 Juliette DaBlok said
Doubt it's true. But even if it was true, at least he didn't say he could just walk up to em and grab em by their pu**y whenever he wanted....oh wait
Stop deflecting blame, making it seems less serious.
That's why muthafu*kas don't take you serious, always pointing fingers and not taking accountability for your actions.

Now you about to get butt hurt because you got called out on your bull sh*t, and you gonna try to write 3 furious paragraphs, but i'm not trying to hear that sh*t.

Have some character

2 weeks ago '18        #6
Lord God  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 35538 35 K  Slaps total: 2925 2 K
I doubt it, but if he did make the comment, it's less Warren and much more an indictment of the American electorate.
+7   

2 weeks ago '18        #7
space
space
 Mr Scaramucci said
That's why muthafu*kas don't take you serious, always pointing fingers and not taking accountability for your actions.
Wait, you tihnk I actually care what you think

Funniest sh*t I've heard all day

A n*gga named after Anthony Scaramucci is lecturing me about being taken seriously

+10   

2 weeks ago '05        #8
Stuart Scott 
space
space
Props total: 35026 35 K  Slaps total: 7081 7 K
always tryna smear bernie the god
+12   

2 weeks ago '17        #9
space
space
 Juliette DaBlok said
Wait, you tihnk I actually care what you think

Funniest sh*t I've heard all day

A n*gga named after Anthony Scaramucci is lecturing me about being taken seriously
Here we go again n*gga, attacking my username, deflecting the attention on that bs you just posted.

Change your name to YUP ITS THIS n*gga AGAIN in that Ronnie thread.

2 weeks ago '18        #10
Lord God  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 35538 35 K  Slaps total: 2925 2 K
 Juliette DaBlok said
 Mr Scaramucci said
Eh, like it or not that's called precedent. Stuff like this would've sunken a candidate pre-2016. I remember when Romney's 47% remark was unthinkable. Now it'd probably be rewarded. What appears to be deflection is really just reflection of a period we live in. This is nothing when the bar is so low.
+3   

2 weeks ago '18        #11
space
space
 Mr Scaramucci said
Here we go again n*gga, attacking my username, deflecting the attention on that bs you just posted.

You a whole bi*ch

You in here acting up over an article THAT HASN'T EVEN BEEN VERIFIED BY WARREN HERSELF

Nah, lets get to the REAL facts here. The fact is, you just a bi*ch n*gga that's on my d*ck. You been salty for months sense I clowned ya a*s, and you figured this was your moment for get back. You saw my posts and ya period came on, so you started acting out like the bi*ch you are

That's what really happened here. Now with that being said, you can take your f*g**t a*s back to pretending to be an Italian Hedge-fund Manager from New York. Clown a*s n*gga

2 weeks ago '17        #12
space
space
 Juliette DaBlok said
You a whole bi*ch

You in here acting up over an article THAT HASN'T EVEN BEEN VERIFIED BY WARREN HERSELF

Nah, lets get to the REAL facts here. The fact is, you just a bi*ch n*gga that's on my d*ck. You been salty for months sense I clowned ya a*s, and you figured this was your moment for get back. You saw my posts and ya period came on, so you started acting out like the bi*ch you are

That's what really happened here. Now with that being said, you can take your f*g**t a*s back to pretending to be an Italian Hedge-fund Manager from New York. Clown a*s n*gga

Man shut yo Yabba Dabba Doo azz up.

All that yapping

2 weeks ago '19        #13
Gold Face  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 20288 20 K  Slaps total: 24693 24 K
 Mr Scaramucci said

+2   

2 weeks ago '18        #14
space
space
 Mr Scaramucci said

Man shut yo Yabba Dabba Doo azz up.

All that yapping
Yabba Dabba Doo huh

How you expect n*ggas take you seriously when you saying sh*t like that

Oh yeah, so what did Warren have to say about this "serious" issue

Oh wait, you don't want to talk about that huh

2 weeks ago '12        #15
Gramz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
space
space
Props total: 39847 39 K  Slaps total: 1934 1 K

Bernie supporters, this is what the home stretch looks like. They're going try to smear Bernie's name. It's definitely not a coincidence that this comes out right after he takes first in the Des Moines Register poll.

It's pathetic and reeks of desperation from the Warren camp. I really hope it's just her camp and that she doesn't turn out to be just another lousy politician.

We got Trump and the Dem establishment shook right now. They know we're close to winning this thang, baby
+13   

2 weeks ago '06        #16
Storchaveli  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 10191 10 K  Slaps total: 2576 2 K
Smear tactic. They stole it from him for Hillary. I think they’re capable of spreading some fake sh*t to smear him this time too.
+7   

2 weeks ago '12        #17
space
space
How do you go from one debate bashing a centrist for wine cave fundraisers, and then approach the very next debate carrying the mantle of “unity?”

She has incredibly moronic advisers.
+6   

2 weeks ago '12        #18
space
space

+5   

2 weeks ago '12        #19
space
space

We got receipts from 1988 when Liz was still a registered Republican.
+13   

2 weeks ago '18        #20
Binary  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
Props total: 9654 9 K  Slaps total: 12532 12 K
CNN: Trump said this!
BX: it’s gotta be true

CNN: Bernie said this!
BX: nah bernie wouldn’t say that

+4   

2 weeks ago '19        #21
hoodrichmali 
space
space
space
Props total: 475 475  Slaps total: 225 225
+1   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 weeks ago '12        #22
mars15  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
space
space
Props total: 31012 31 K  Slaps total: 2610 2 K
So Bernie went on the record to say it’s false, they asked Warrens camp and they declined comment. So now Warren will have to answer a made up smear at the debate tomorrow
+7   

2 weeks ago '06        #23
J_Teflon 
space
space
Props total: 4747 4 K  Slaps total: 782 782
Boxden: sees a Hispanic women. “She’s white!”

Boxden: sees Elizabeth Warren. “She’s part Native American though”.

2 weeks ago '17        #24
Timberwolves  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
space
space
Props total: 18139 18 K  Slaps total: 2315 2 K
 MadMarlo said
sh*t sound fake...

Bernie don't talk like that lol
lol easy lie
+1   

2 weeks ago '18        #25
space
space
 mars15 said
So Bernie went on the record to say it’s false, they asked Warrens camp and they declined comment. So now Warren will have to answer a made up smear at the debate tomorrow
CNN was so eager to smear Bernie they didn't even get an official statement from the Warren campaign before running the story

That's some CNN sh*t right there for real
+5   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+175online now  50
Been watching new, tributes, memorials of Kob all day, figured a bit out
61 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
-31online now  36
Prophet of God predicts a sudden death of major b-ball player back in 2011
37 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+81online now  36
Article inside There’s some weird energy in Hollywood right now
171 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+83online now  19
Kobe and Wife Vanessa Had a Deal That They Would Never Fly on a Helicopter..
181 comments
1 day ago
@sports
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy