Dave Chappelle Acceptance Speech | 2019 Mark Twain Prize

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

New replies show every 10 seconds
 3 weeks ago '15        #26
WiseKing 
space
space
space
Props total: 6258 6 K  Slaps total: 1728 1 K
 atruedsgb said
Stewart's tribute was hilarious. He baited everyone into a joke in a very Chapelleish sort of way. Homage...

Jon Stewart is a fukn genius
+6   

3 weeks ago '07        #27
ptwist 
space
space
Props total: 13932 13 K  Slaps total: 1359 1 K
 Storchaveli said
Legend. I’ve seen him live 3 times and his delivery is so effortless and yet he’s the funniest around. Love it when he speaks his wisdom too. Do your thing, Dave. Congrats.
Saw him in Vegas for his pop up show and he's just the GOAT man. To me, he's just next level. Other comedians reference him in the same light as ball players did for Jordan & musicians of meeting Prince & Michael Jackson.

They watch him outside of the specials and how he just goes up to random comedy clubs and k*lls whoever was headlining every single time.

He's at the point in his career in that what he's doing is an art form more than entertainment. You can see the points he's trying to hit, and the ones he's rewriting, when you read the book on comedy 101.
+1   

3 weeks ago '07        #28
ptwist 
space
space
Props total: 13932 13 K  Slaps total: 1359 1 K
 AmillionMo said
If I did comedy, I think I'd have Chapelle's style. However, I don't think I could pull it off because it takes time before people pay attention to you long enough to get his joke style off and he is 1 of the only comedians in which you just want to hear him talk.
I don't do stand-up, but I do watch my fair share of specials and attend a few shows around LA. I even watch the amateur hour, which as painful as it is sometimes, honestly makes you appreciate those who do make a living & can garner a 30 minute-hour special. The hour special for a stand-up is basically the holy grail for comedians. You're in the big leagues if you not only have the material for an hour, someone is willing to invest their time to paying audiences to sit for that hour.

If you get a chance, do grab a bunch of drinks and watch the newbies and you'll find areas where the joke is there, but the one thing you can't teach is patience & timing in a punchline. Dave has it mastered... to the millisecond. He knows his audience & their reaction time.

Content is key too.... You still have to be funny. You have to have the right mannerisms. The right "gimmick" that is authentic. But in all my years of seeing stand-up, the truly successful ones put in the time to master their content/message & deliver the joke at the exact right time.

(You can tell I'm deeeeeeep into this stand-up sh*t lol)
+5   

3 weeks ago '04        #29
ddash 
space
space
Props total: 12963 12 K  Slaps total: 901 901
 WiseKing said
Jon Stewart is a fukn genius

3 weeks ago '07        #30
Jeet Kune Do 
space
space
Props total: 5984 5 K  Slaps total: 531 531
Yo Jon Stewart sweeeerved the fk outta me

+1   

3 weeks ago '04        #31
Grisly 
space
space
Props total: 8045 8 K  Slaps total: 972 972
the fu*king legend himself

what an amazing career

hope he keeps it going

3 weeks ago '16        #32
popogogo 
space
space
Props total: 19862 19 K  Slaps total: 787 787
 ptwist said
I don't do stand-up, but I do watch my fair share of specials and attend a few shows around LA. I even watch the amateur hour, which as painful as it is sometimes, honestly makes you appreciate those who do make a living & can garner a 30 minute-hour special. The hour special for a stand-up is basically the holy grail for comedians. You're in the big leagues if you not only have the material for an hour, someone is willing to invest their time to paying audiences to sit for that hour.

If you get a chance, do grab a bunch of drinks and watch the newbies and you'll find areas where the joke is there, but the one thing you can't teach is patience & timing in a punchline. Dave has it mastered... to the millisecond. He knows his audience & their reaction time.

Content is key too.... You still have to be funny. You have to have the right mannerisms. The right "gimmick" that is authentic. But in all my years of seeing stand-up, the truly successful ones put in the time to master their content/message & deliver the joke at the exact right time.

(You can tell I'm deeeeeeep into this stand-up sh*t lol)

Dave is a genius.
His timing, mastery of the language and knowledge of various subjects is just crazy.

You can tell that he's one of those cats that would have been at the top of his profession, no matter what it was.

+1   

2 weeks ago '04        #33
collegeboy58 
space
space
Props total: 8816 8 K  Slaps total: 523 523
 ezduzit said
the whole show was great
Right....the whole show is definitely worth watching

New replies show every 10 seconds

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+79online now  37
Article inside There’s some weird energy in Hollywood right now
170 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+82online now  35
Kobe and Wife Vanessa Had a Deal That They Would Never Fly on a Helicopter..
174 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+146online now  33
Been watching new, tributes, memorials of Kob all day, figured a bit out
53 comments
22 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+88online now  16
Image(s) inside King Los Checks Comedian Tony Hinchcliffe For Disrespecting Kobe Bryant
129 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy