Reactions From Athletes To ESPN 30 For 30 Broke Documentary

most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
87 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 11 - Government agencies announce plan to sellout the internet
53 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
99 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Rappers that have or had AIDS
75 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '09        #41
Msfourfteleven 23 heat pts23
space
space
$6,779 | Props total: 571 571
Arian Foster ‏@ArianFoster

Believe it or not there are people who educate themselves before the television

This is why he is my guy
 5 years ago '04        #42
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
$30,663 | Props total: 516 516
 Pistol Peter said:

packer fan with that self ether...didn't even know who his own former player was that helped them out so much

black people can never be true packer fans
I was drunk and don't have my glasses
 5 years ago '09        #43
That Guy Fly 21 heat pts21
space
space
$66,408 | Props total: 12343 12343
I didnt even have to watch to know this was some sh*t. I bet most of the guys who tweeted something about this will be on the next version of it. I'm sure Desmond Howard is more inline with what the doc really represented than the audience it was trying to and did reach.

Athletes have been blowing their money longer than many of the guys tweeting and all of you have been alive. They have been educating athletes from day one about how to save your money, how not to make bad investments, how to say no and many other things from the moment the money was given. But, many of these guys get the money and feel invincible because there is a certain power that comes with having the money and celebrity that they gain. If you think this one poorly done "documentary" will change that you are sadly mistaken.

Everybody is different, has different ideals and values which is why some guys will save and invest properly while others will blow through it since they feel they can't spend it all or take it with them when they die.
 5 years ago '04        #44
GollyI'mGully 69 heat pts69
space
space
$7,735 | Props total: 400 400
did wade mean "aspiring"?
 5 years ago '07        #45
Pistol Peter 33 heat pts33
space
space
$26,679 | Props total: 15 15
 e G o Maniac said:
I was drunk and don't have my glasses
ahhh yes...the good ol' drunk card being used on the internet..classic move...i bet you would only fu*k kim kardashian if you were drunk too huh?

real packer fans should lynch you
 5 years ago '07        #46
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
$39,830 | Props total: 4807 4807
 torious said:
I agree with just about alll of what you said, trust me i know. blacks get a bad name and stereotypes are promoted constantly. Racism's still very much alive and it's not goin anywhere very soon.
I watched the full CNN Anderson Cooper doc on race in schools where they interviewed white and black kids who were 6 and then again the same ones as early teenagers about what their views were on race relations. it was ugly, made my stomach turn

that's just like a 5 min clip of what was a 30 or 60 min long special

blame the media all you want but the media is the media. ain't gonna change.

but you stilll didnt reallly answer the question that you bolded from my post, about it being reality

why is that?

[pic - click to view]

that's why.

the families, communities, and environment that the kids grow up in ultimately can and should in all cases, have a bigger impact on how the kids end up handling their sh*t than the media does. the proof is in the fact that there's plenty of people who grew up poor in the inner city but got a solid education, upbringing, values. even if they a.ssociated themselves with the wrong people early on in their lives, they had enough sense to know what fiscal responsibility is, and they dont end up blowing millions.. if all this evil was caused because of the media you wouldn't have well raised but underprivileged successful, business savvy people like magic J, jalen rose, arian foster, jon vilma, jamal mashburn, etc. etc. .. the documentary's purpose was to educate n maybe help fix the problem. you can call it shallow and superficial because it portrayed blacks as more likely to be the ones losin money, it's not that far off the truth is it? so it's tough to argue that it's not a microcosm.. stereotypes aren't all 100% made up BS. this was prolly a decent sample size represenation of the races..

a lot of the things you saw in the doc are totally common sense to you, me, some people on bx, desmond howard, and other people who are educated because you work in athletics, have seen, heard about and experienced people getting caught up in this type of stuff (losing their money).. it's not so intuitive to everyone - the (overwhelming majority of the) athlete reactions on twitter proved that. they learned a lot.
and still i guarantee there's a hell of a lot of kids about to enter the pros in football and basketball, white and black, who still don't realize that they're only gonna get 45% of the gross pay in their first paycheck. all we can do is educate ourselves, our kids, and our fellow brothas.

the part that maybe disturbed me the most out of the whole doc was when they were talking about how none of the athletes in the doc shared info or heads up about which investments theyre doing, which ones are scams which to look out for etc. with their fellow athletes. the only ones they were looking out for were themselves and the ones they helped out and protected, provided with money. in the process they ended up putting themselves out on an island, and because they didn't have anyone to lean on or learn from, they ended up getting shafted somehow n*ggas need to start lookin out for one another. the end of the doc was encouraging tho when they said theyve started to, with the rookie finance programs and stuff like that
tha thing is u can use a statistic to justify whateva u wanna justify.when it comes to this country,black people are made out to be tha face of poverty.we hear about vick and young all tha time,why we dont we hear about leaf and marino tha same way?

ultimately responsibility falls on tha individual,but if u watch that documentary i posted,u will see how tha inferiority complexes that tha media hype up play a huge role,athletes that dont go broke are generally seperated so far from their community that they end up in isolation.case and point would be lamar odom.thats how a guy like that ends up marryin a chik like chloe kardashian.their are so many underlyin factors as to why athletes go broke and of all things,they wanna try an connect it to hip hop.that says to me its a black thing
 5 years ago '07        #47
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
 torious said:
pretty much my point in the last post. it's a problem that everyone is susceptible to, of all races, but it just so happens to be largely a black problem is it coincidence?

what about the fact that there are dozens and dozens of NBA and NFL players whove gone thru it, but only a small handful of golf / hockey players (jagr,, jon daly, and greg norman are the only three i can think of off the top) but maybe the white devil is concealing all of them tho

this is coming from someone with black heritage btw
bball and football are on much larger scales than golf,and nba/nfl athletes are way more visible.we know about bball/football talent as early as 12 years old.ive neva seen a golf athlete on tha cover of s.i while a sophmore in h.s.football/bball are way more overexposed because tha media is always tryin to find or create tha next big thing
 5 years ago '04        #48
torious 67 heat pts67
space
space
$81,961 | Props total: 11708 11708
 r.burgundy said:
tha thing is u can use a statistic to justify whateva u wanna justify.when it comes to this country,black people are made out to be tha face of poverty.we hear about vick and young all tha time,why we dont we hear about leaf and marino tha same way?

ultimately responsibility falls on tha individual,but if u watch that documentary i posted,u will see how tha inferiority complexes that tha media hype up play a huge role,athletes that dont go broke are generally seperated so far from their community that they end up in isolation.case and point would be lamar odom.thats how a guy like that ends up marryin a chik like chloe kardashian.their are so many underlyin factors as to why athletes go broke and of all things,they wanna try an connect it to hip hop.that says to me its a black thing
i see what what you mean. but you're saying on one hand the media and culture play a larger part than they should in the athlete's lives. i agree with that, 100. then in the next breath you're criticizing them for drawing the parallel between hip hop (one of the cultural trends that caused reckless spending, pretty much undeniably). can you give me a good argument that it's wrong to link the two?

i guess i see it more calling it like it is than i do "a black thing". i thought they did a decent job of talking about what some of the different causes are for it (getting swindled by agents, family taking advantage, feeling obligated to help out your friends and community even if it's stretched beyond your means, naivety with regards to what are wise investments and what aren't, pyramid schemes, not separating business from pleasure, lack of understanding for taxes.) there was a link and i think the bling bling stuff was a very significant reality during the 90s and 00s, but it prolly didn't take more than 15 min out of the documentary (btw i can't remember exactly how long the whole thing ran for tho) .. could they have included more details and more cases with more info? absolutely, but it had to have a start, beginning and end and fit within a time slot.

you're dead right about it falling on the individual.

Last edited by torious; 10-03-2012 at 03:38 PM..
 5 years ago '08        #49
MAKAVELI2199 17 heat pts17
space
space
$5,384 | Props total: 181 181
Desmond Howard with that ether

it was a good 30 for 30 but some people blew it outta proportion, far from the best
 5 years ago '04        #50
torious 67 heat pts67
space
space
 MAKAVELI2199 said:
Desmond Howard with that ether

it was a good 30 for 30 but some people blew it outta proportion, far from the best
what was your fav? i thought the one with the homey from boston was damn good, earvin magic damn near had me cryin for my spartan homie.

mad i missed the soccer escobar one
 5 years ago '04        #51
torious 67 heat pts67
space
space
 Pistol Peter said:
ahhh yes...the good ol' drunk card being used on the internet..classic move...i bet you would only fu*k kim kardashian if you were drunk too huh?

5 years ago '12        #52
SHADOW 326 heat pts326
space
space
$8,652 | Props total: 322 322
Arian Foster = Real Talk.
 5 years ago '04        #53
DJ Maximum|M 47 heat pts47
space
space
$43,332 | Props total: 11446 11446
@antoniewalker

check me out on 30 for 30 tonite im on that muthafu*ka #espn
 5 years ago '07        #54
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
 torious said:
i see what what you mean. but you're saying on one hand the media and culture play a larger part than they should in the athlete's lives. i agree with that, 100. then in the next breath you're criticizing them for drawing the parallel between hip hop (one of the cultural trends that caused reckless spending, pretty much undeniably). can you give me a good argument that it's wrong to link the two?

i guess i see it more calling it like it is than i do "a black thing". i thought they did a decent job of talking about what some of the different causes are for it (getting swindled by agents, family taking advantage, feeling obligated to help out your friends and community even if it's stretched beyond your means, naivety with regards to what are wise investments and what aren't, pyramid schemes, not separating business from pleasure, lack of understanding for taxes.) there was a link and i think the bling bling stuff was a very significant reality during the 90s and 00s, but it prolly didn't take more than 15 min out of the documentary (btw i can't remember exactly how long the whole thing ran for tho) .. could they have included more details and more cases with more info? absolutely, but it had to have a start, beginning and end and fit within a time slot.

you're dead right about it falling on the individual.
do u really think hip hop played a role in lawrence taylor,mike tyson,derrick coleman and kenny anderson goin broke?all 4 went broke for very different reasons.dc went broke tryin to rebuild his community,absolutely nothin to do wit hip hop.kenny lost his money gambling and a really bad divorce,lt was a junkie,and mike got r*ped by don king.white people tend to try and correlate hip hop to every black problem as if this didnt exist before hip hop.clyde frazier was pullin up in bentleys and wearing mink underwear long b4 tha 1st rap record was eva recorded.some people just like nice things

in tha 80's,ballplayers looked up to and wanted to be like tha street dudes and rappers,but nowadays its just tha opposite.tha average nba salary trumps tha average rap salary by far.so athletes dont have that same tryin to emulate rappers mindset because they are already financially well past them
 5 years ago '04        #55
J.BEEZY 10 heat pts10
space
space
$8,321 | Props total: 2472 2472
desmond was speakin the truth

arian
 5 years ago '04        #56
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
 Pistol Peter said:

you act like I said "who is desmond howard" or some sh*t. I know who the fu*k desmond howard is. I skimmed through the Tweets and all I ended up seeing was "D.... Howard" in my mind. WTF is so bad about that? You reaching, Pete.
 5 years ago '04        #57
1nonly 15 heat pts15
space
space
$12,452 | Props total: 1239 1239
lol just this morning, reading on yahoo talking about vick blowing through 30 mil

and

he's one of the tweets talking about the 30 for 30 in op's post lmao
 5 years ago '07        #58
JamcnPrettyboy 96 heat pts96
space
space
$23,477 | Props total: 6084 6084
 1nonly said:
lol just this morning, reading on yahoo talking about vick blowing through 30 mil

and

You clearly didn't read the article. He's on a court ordered budget. All the money he's been making since he got out the pen has been going towards his debt. He's living off of $300k annually until 2015 or some sh*t.
 5 years ago '04        #59
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
 1nonly said:

and

that money was used to pay off debt and financial advisers. People don't want to talk about how vick didn't have to pay all of that off right away but did anyway, though.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
44 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
290 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
68 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
20 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Eminem's First Week numbers for every album ranked
45 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
64 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
37 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy