AsapRocky Says He's "Basian" Because He From Barbados

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

1 week ago '16        #126
Eastcoast 
space
space
space
$2,228 | Props total: 2804 2804
 DominicanLou said
can we get receipts on this?
@

People are bad at repeating information. Yes, the U.S only got about 4% of the slave in the Trans Atlantic Slave trade but:

American-Style Slavery

3. The importation of slaves into the United States was banned by Congress (under Constitutional command) in 1808, yet by 1860, the nation’s black population had jumped from 400,000 to 4.4 million, of which 3.9 million were slaves. The primary reason was natural increase, a distinguishing feature of American-style slavery. Between 1790 and 1860, reports Ronald Bailey, author of “The Other Side of Slavery: Black Labor, Cotton, and Textile Industrialization in Great Britain and the United States,” in the spring 1994 issue of Agricultural History, the U.S. slave population increased between 25 percent and 33 percent per year—an average of 28.7 percent over the period.

Largely as a result of natural increase, the United States went from being a country that accounted for 6 percent of slaves imported to the New World to one that in 1860 held more than 60 percent of the hemisphere’s slave population, according to Steven Mintz, author of “American Slavery in Comparative Perspective,” for the Gilder Lehrman Institute. (It’s worth noting that Stanley Engerman, Richard Sutch and Gavin Wright put that number closer to 50 percent in their March 2003 report on “Slavery” (pdf) for the University of California Project on the Historical Statistics of the United States.)

+4   

1 week ago '11        #127
kevin boogz 149 heat pts149
space
space
$5,165 | Props total: 12432 12432
 zone3cp said
I swear I asked a n*gga in Boston who was darker than me where the black clubs at and dude said IDK I’m “Bajan”

If I wasnt on my hustle he would’ve got the business
+1   

1 week ago '06        #128
DominicanLou 25 heat pts25
space
space
$9,141 | Props total: 8220 8220
 4REAL said
You can have an identity without trying to stump on those who acknowledge their other black ethnicity. ADOS is a terrible movement.
I don't disagree with that. I don't agree with the labeling, but I support reparations. I guess I don't focus on the xenophobic remarks because to me that is not what ADOS is about.

What I do stand for is identity and I find it extremely troubling that we're having this conversation in 2019.

The term "black" has a very limited range, as far as value. Like most of the world has figured out, in America "Black" is at the bottom. Which is why when the opportunity presents itself any affixture or hyphen one can add to their "blackness" will be used. I am guilty of this.

American society thingified the descendants of African slaves before calling them American. This is how miscommunication starts when a proud-to-be black man from Colombia says "I'm Colombian" before "black" and is mislabeled as being anti-black. The U.S. gave black Americans a label that was rooted in racism and being worth 3/5ths of a human being, and slowly graduated it up to an ambiguous term.

Then other attempts were made from within the community and we moved on from colored to Negro, so-called Negro. Then we got Afro-American, African-American, Black, etc. And now currently, we're being herded under the term POC or People of Color.

Now out of frustration (and fear, IMO) we have ADOS.

This country has a legacy of politicizing identity, so names matter beyond cultural a*sociations. This conversation we're having has been done before. Why does it keep resurfacing under a different alias?

This was an interesting read..

[pic - click to view]

From Negro to Black to African American: The Power of Names and Naming

To me, this discussion falls short if we don't take into account black politics and this country's history of politicizing groups of people, black or not. Because of my own personal black consciousness I resonate with the cultural negritude of ADOS, but in retrospect, it goes deeper than that. As a member of the bottom caste, black people in the U.S. have to rely on the Government to create a pathway that points in the direction of equality, an entity that governs who gets what, when, where, and how in a land of finite of resources. IMO, this is really at the heart of ADOS.

I don't pay much mind to those who as you said "stump on those who acknowledge their other black ethnicity." I don't think their numbers or influence matters. We can flip the pages of our history book, pick an arbitrary page, and our finger will surely land on a passage about blacks in America seeking cultural connectedness with the diaspora.

The social equity in being Black (American) has not translated to socioeconomic success for the group. Information technology can now articulate the widening disparities between American blacks and others in ways we haven't seen before.

The Irish weren't always white in America. Nor were the Italians. They fought to be white because of the implications of being so.

My honest opinion is that ADOS won't last and/or won't be adopted by the masses, from all sides of the table. And in the next some-odd years we will see another name arise. Because of what history has showed me.

To me these are all symptoms of a much larger, profound issue and we should approach with understanding rather than condemnation.
+2   

1 week ago '18        #129
NvrCMiNut 
space
space
$415 | Props total: 1014 1014
all he said was his dad is frm barbados
god damn its true americans are ignorant as fu*k
+2   

1 week ago '19        #130
TheIronyIs 
space
space
space
$442 | Props total: 1601 1601
He's not lying.

AsapRocky, Lil Wayne and others (I'll have to look up the ones I forgot) have all tried to separate themselves from black Americans so they can seem, "different" or like a special negro. I think they both said anti-Black Lives Matter things.

It's literally just house n*gga syndrome. Trying to impress master.

Rappers keep saying they aren't doing tours in Sweden...no one cares.

That will only make local Swedish rap bigger.

1 week ago '06        #131
space
space
 Eastcoast said
@

People are bad at repeating information. Yes, the U.S only got about 4% of the slave in the Trans Atlantic Slave trade but:

American-Style Slavery

3. The importation of slaves into the United States was banned by Congress (under Constitutional command) in 1808, yet by 1860, the nation’s black population had jumped from 400,000 to 4.4 million, of which 3.9 million were slaves. The primary reason was natural increase, a distinguishing feature of American-style slavery. Between 1790 and 1860, reports Ronald Bailey, author of “The Other Side of Slavery: Black Labor, Cotton, and Textile Industrialization in Great Britain and the United States,” in the spring 1994 issue of Agricultural History, the U.S. slave population increased between 25 percent and 33 percent per year—an average of 28.7 percent over the period.

Largely as a result of natural increase, the United States went from being a country that accounted for 6 percent of slaves imported to the New World to one that in 1860 held more than 60 percent of the hemisphere’s slave population, according to Steven Mintz, author of “American Slavery in Comparative Perspective,” for the Gilder Lehrman Institute. (It’s worth noting that Stanley Engerman, Richard Sutch and Gavin Wright put that number closer to 50 percent in their March 2003 report on “Slavery” (pdf) for the University of California Project on the Historical Statistics of the United States.)

I had no idea. For me, it makes the issue even more distressed.

I will say how does one account for the highly divergent methods of categorizing black/African descendent across countries when race, color, etc. is not necessarily used uniformly? One Drop Rule comes to mind.

And then I think about the point I made in my last post about the politicization of ethnicity and the implications that has in a welfare state, such as the U.S. The same system that created the $5 Dollar Indian. IMO, anchoring the ADOS movement from the narrative of chattel slavery doesn't give proper context.

My apologies, I am lost in how the data ties into ADOS. It's been a long night.

1 week ago '06        #132
space
space
I think some are realizing there isn't such a thing as Black.

1 week ago '17        #133
SPdaGOAT 38 heat pts38
space
space
$17,807 | Props total: 37652 37652
 ddy807 said
???

If his mother is from America and his father is from Barbados, and he was born in the United States, has citizenship in the US that would make him an American.

It would not make him Bajan.

"I'm Bajan, my dad is from Barbados" - audio clip from OP

He didn't say "half Bajan".
Don’t you think this is being a bit worried about semantics?

1 week ago '16        #134
Negusis 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$4,617 | Props total: 11754 11754
 GetYaCoinsKing said
I'm not as passionate of Nipsey's death/legacy but doesn't take-away from the fact that he was on some disrespectful sh*t imho. Why are you coming up with a conspiracy at a mans vigil? sh*ts wild corny to me.
If you're upset about it enough to incite violence against a man then maybe you should ask him and do your own dirty work.

1 week ago '04        #135
Da_realness 9 heat pts
space
space
$2,455 | Props total: 5179 5179
Its bajan eeeeeediot

1 week ago '18        #136
Baron Davis 108 heat pts108 OP
space
space
$3,163 | Props total: 8759 8759
 Da_realness said
Its bajan eeeeeediot
Your mom's an idiot

1 week ago '15        #137
MisterHawkins 20 heat pts20
space
space
$4,522 | Props total: 9292 9292
 JustVibe said
What happened to that other dude ? Military hit 2 to the body and one to the head . I don’t remember his name but he had people on twitter saying military hit
Lol I remember that fool I saw another video of him on IG the other day and scrolled right past it. After that nipsey sh*t he was saying I can’t eveb take him serious
+1   

1 week ago '15        #138
MisterHawkins 20 heat pts20
space
space
$4,522 | Props total: 9292 9292
Damn ASAP...when words come back to bite you in the a*s. Can’t say I feel sorry for the n*gga I don’t even know him. These rappers and sh*t be actin like we supposed to give a fu*k just because he raps or some sh*t it’s millions of regular citizens with no money going through the same thing in jails in America but I’m supposed to give a fu*k about ASAP rocky

1 week ago '14        #139
Shalomny 
space
space
$584 | Props total: 1405 1405
 DominicanLou said
This is another popular romanticized narrative...the African or Haitian immigrant that came here with one shoe. You really need to look into our immigration laws - H-1 Visa, H-1B Visas and all the other incentives for immigrants from all those places you just named (and more), to immigrate here.

You're acting as if the poorest of the poor in Africa are arriving here and that's simply not the case. It's not based in any real data.

Many people, because they don't know U.S. history or already hold biases towards certain people, easily buy into America's white supremacist belief system that has placed black people at the bottom.
in these countries there are no middle class .. either you got it or you dont. You'll have a house up the street with people living good while the neighbor is poor as sh*t. due to this "FACT" even those of better means coming to this country will scoff at the sh*t we complain about because the know real poverty.
I am fully aware of the fact that not all people from the continent and third world countries are dirt poor- but lets not act like being poor here and being poor in DR is the same sh*t.

1 week ago '12        #140
johnnysnow 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$6,095 | Props total: 10353 10353
 DominicanLou said
We're all brothers and sisters. You can fully support ADOS and not discredit black people that aren't ADOS. They are not mutually exclusive. I feel like you're allowing yourself to be distracted by people like Tariq from the message and purpose of ADOS.

It's crazy how an acronym has caused so much backlash. A fu*king acronym. You have black people rallying behind #fu*kADOS and #ADOSistrash. Can you imagine how that feels? Someone saying fu*k your identity, family history, and culture. You're just a color in a Crayon box. And you don't expect someone to feel some type of way? It's sick.

You know what I agree with you all the way

you guys have to understand also there’s people using ADOS as a tool for hate and are talking down on Black people from other countries that’s, why there’s a black lash

Those people must be held accountable on both sides no hate should be tolerated, I love all my brothers and sisters from all countries over the world

We should all ban together to get what’s owed to the ADOS in America , but the division has to stop.

Much love and peace to you my brother continue on the path to prosperity
+2   

1 week ago '13        #141
wallace45 25 heat pts25
space
space
$11,915 | Props total: 5059 5059
 strungout said
he didn't say anything wrong ..

think about it ....his family is from Barbados....chances are he can't trace back his ancestors to africa or even which region of africa hes from ...he can only trace back his roots as far back as barbados

there for he is bajan cus all of the dots connect there
Would also add maybe the n*gga doesn't go to "black clubs" and goes to carribean or Bajan clubs if they got them in Boston but it is Boston though
+1   

1 week ago '15        #142
chiladin708 39 heat pts39
space
space
$2,748 | Props total: 4842 4842
 Shalomny said
Tariq nasheed on some bullsh*t lately.. he's trying real hard to drive a bigger wedge between us and black people from Africa and the Caribbean .. sure many black immigrants dont identify with us and thats understandable cuz guess what n*gga ? THEY HAVE A WHOLE DIFFERENT CULTURE FROM US.. WHITES DONT DO THE DUMB sh*t TARIQ IS PROMOTING.. they know they have cultural differences based on the countries they are from but at days end they stay on code with white power and maintain that sh*t.

this sh*t tariq is doing is dumb.. we can have cultural differences but at days end we all have the same root "AFRICA" we all of so-called negro race and face the same prejudices and racism in america.
The #AODS hashtag and movement doesn't bother me at all. I have close friends that are Caribbean and West African immigrants and they have no issue repping for their heritage and letting you know there's a slight division because at the end of the day when sh*t gets too hot a Jamaican or Bajan can go to Jamaica or Barbados or a Nigerian can go back to Nigeria. Where can African-Americans go and besides Ghana who officially would take us in? All we have is the South, thas our quasi-ancestral homeland.

Like Tariq has said before, when other non-Ados black folks can go to their "cultural" parades and wear their cultural attire and ride around with Puerto-Rican and Trini flag on their car mirrors and speak in Patios, Spanish and Caribbean and take pride in their culture, it's no problem.

But now that ADOS are starting to officially mobilize behind having more unity politically and socially then it's a problem. fu*k that! I love everybody that has love for me, so I don't ride too hard on the racial or ethnic pride tip. I don't care if you're white, Jewish, Chinese, Arab, or from Australia, the people that genuinely care for me are my people and most of my people happen to be African-American and like I said I have close friend that are non-ADOS blacks and some of them have an African-American parent in some cases but the pride they have for their parents homeland runs deeper than if theri parents was from Virginia or Chicago or Cali.

And as far as Africans goes, I'm team k*llmonger, fu*k Wakanda.lol.Them n*ggas sold my ancestors to them European pirates so ou we can never be the same. Many of those African nations before they started to destabilize had armies and boats and the means to come and try to rescue my ancestors from bondage but it didn't happen. So, I don't see a problem with #ADOS. Many of these non-ADOS immigrants are coming over here looking down on #ADOS when the only reason they can come here without having to worry about being lynched is because of #ADOS but many of them look down on #ADOS. They have never said some slick sh*t to me but they have said things to me like, "I'm not like other black people!" Meaning most African-Americans they come across. #ADOS vs EVERYBODY! We don't need them, they need us.

1 week ago '13        #143
wallace45 25 heat pts25
space
space
$11,915 | Props total: 5059 5059
 Supreme God said
You can't be half jamaican...if your parents are from Jamaica, but you were born in north carolina....you're not half jamaican. Jamaican is not a bloodline to be halved, it's not a race, it's a place and culture. I'm from st croix, we identify as crucian from being born and growing up in that "culture", my son did not, he's not half crucian. There are white jamaicans, both parents are white, but they grew up in Jamaica and in jamaican culture, asians too. That's like somebody saying I'm half American, that's not an ancestry.
So in your household you don't keep the traditions, eat the food etc your kids never around family from St Croix? Being Jamaican, Haitian or whatever it doesn't matter if you wasn't born there if your parent/s are from there and raise you in that culture that's what you are you

White ppl from Europe that have American born kids still view their children as the same as what they are so why can't Caribbean ppl?

1 week ago '17        #144
LostTenets 281 heat pts281
space
space
$12,471 | Props total: 32481 32481
 PROV said
Half that movement is online trolls pushing some "there wasn't no slave ships, we were already here" psychotic B.o.Babble
You aren't black at all, please refrain from speaking

1 week ago '14        #145
Pilscy 37 heat pts37
space
space
$8,838 | Props total: 18644 18644
If he’s “bajan” it make sense why him and Rihanna had That lil fling

1 week ago '17        #146
space
space
 Mr K said
The Tariq HATERS it's time for folks to deflect from the topic and insult him rather then speak with truth and facts
fu*k em. You know why they hate em
+2   

1 week ago '17        #147
space
space
Just know that if you don't get it by now, I'm not explaining sh*t. #ados fgt
+1   

1 week ago '05        #148
4REAL 4 heat pts
space
space
$17,855 | Props total: 12513 12513
 chiladin708 said
And as far as Africans goes, I'm team k*llmonger, fu*k Wakanda.lol.Them n*ggas sold my ancestors to them European pirates so ou we can never be the same. Many of those African nations before they started to destabilize had armies and boats and the means to come and try to rescue my ancestors from bondage but it didn't happen. So, I don't see a problem with #ADOS. Many of these non-ADOS immigrants are coming over here looking down on #ADOS when the only reason they can come here without having to worry about being lynched is because of #ADOS but many of them look down on #ADOS. They have never said some slick sh*t to me but they have said things to me like, "I'm not like other black people!" Meaning most African-Americans they come across. #ADOS vs EVERYBODY! We don't need them, they need us.
White Supremacist spotted!

1 week ago '17        #149
space
space
 IMChillin730 said
what in the world of not sticking to a topic are yall n*ggas talking about?

How did a tweet from Tariq Nasheed about Asap rocky turn into a reparations debate... da fu*k kinda drugs do yall do that you cant focus on a topic... damn adderall babies.

People from other countries who came here with papers in 19whatever, with whatever skin color, are not descendents of American Slavery. However, A person of African Descent living in america is still considered African American or black... ADOS simply refers to those African Americans who are Descendants of American Slavery... why is that so hard to understand.
Because they mad they not getting reparations. And the funny thing is, asap Rocky already showed he's not riding with black folks, that's why this is even a discussion

1 week ago '05        #150
4REAL 4 heat pts
space
space
$17,855 | Props total: 12513 12513
 DominicanLou said

My honest opinion is that ADOS won't last and/or won't be adopted by the masses, from all sides of the table. And in the next some-odd years we will see another name arise. Because of what history has showed me.

To me these are all symptoms of a much larger, profound issue and we should approach with understanding rather than condemnation.
The name may or may not go past this election cycle. But the ideology of having lineage from somewhere else and not being of "full African American descent" being used to mitigate and shut out other black people out of African American social and political discussions may not go away; it's tribalism all over again and that's my biggest issue. The center of the ADOS movement is the black xenophobia. It's no way you can ignore it even if you tried.
+1   

Home      

yesterday...

most viewed right now
-19online now  13
Video inside “All I need is some Henny and a plan b”
97 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+94online now  13
Video inside TBT When Cesar Millan Got Caught Off Guard