People are sick of drinking. Investors are betting on the 'sober curious'

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 weeks ago '04        #1
4010 page views
126 comments

Kliq 382 heat pts382
space
space
$12,353 | Props total: 47776 47776
People are sick of drinking. Investors are betting on the 'sober curious'

Getaway in Brooklyn was comfortably full for a Saturday night, when I came in to try my first "shrub" — an acidic beverage made from vinegar, fruit, sugar, club soda and zero alcohol.

I ordered a carrot-and-ginger shrub and hoped it would be palatable. I was pleasantly surprised, drank the whole thing and, voila, was not even tipsy. Even more exciting: my bill. It was a mere $15 for two drinks and a bread bowl — to soak up the non-alcoholic beverages, of course.

Getaway is a sober bar, a new kind of dry nightlife option that is cropping up in New York City. The idea is to provide outlets for people who want to socialize in a bar-like location, but without having to drink alcohol.

They are part of larger trend. People are paying greater attention to their mental health and wellness, and many Americans are specifically looking to reduce their alcohol intake. People of all ages are drinking less beer, while millennials are drinking less overall. And Silicon Valley is taking note, with tech companies reevaluating their alcohol policies and investors looking to capitalize on people who prefer not to drink.

"It's such a part of the culture, especially here in San Francisco that I would go out for dinner and have two to three drinks everyday," Silicon Valley entrepreneur Justin Kan, the CEO of law-tech startup Atrium, told CNN Business. He said he has seen a shift recently within his tech circle. "I was at a dinner with a lot of tech people last night and probably half the people weren't drinking."
Kan announced last month, in a post on Twitter, that he was giving up alcohol.

He called drinking an unhealthy habit that had gotten in the way of his experiencing life. It wasn't exactly unusual for Kan to share personal details about himself: He once livestreamed his life through the startup he co-founded in 2007 called Justin.tv, which ultimately became Twitch, the popular live streaming platform for gamers now owned by Amazon.

The same day he tweeted, Kan launched a group on chat app Telegram to connect with others who were similarly deciding to get sober from alcohol. He didn't expect that more than 1,000 people would join.

New products for the sober — and 'sober curious'

Their sales of alcoholic beverages have been declining, big alcohol companies, ranging from Heineken to AB InBev (the owner of popular beer brands such as Budweiser), see an opportunity: They're investing in non-, or low-alcohol drinks. So too, startup investors and entrepreneurs are hoping to cater to the "sober curious," people who for the sake of wellness are reevaluating their relationships with alcohol and how often they drink.

The emergence of sober bars is one of the signals that investor Anu Duggal points to when talking about the trend of not drinking. Duggal, who is based in New York City, said that like Kan, she is noticing "a number of people who are choosing not to drink."

Duggal's firm, Female Founders Fund — which has backed popular consumer startups such as Rent The Runway — is a recent investor in Kin Euphorics.

Kin's first product is a non-alcoholic beverage called "High Rhode." It is part adaptogen (a nontoxic plant that is claimed to have de-stressing effects), part nootropics (a supplement said to help with cognitive functions), and part botanics. On its website, the company notes that its statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and that its product is not intended to diagnose, prevent, treat, or cure any disease.

Tech's complicated relationship with alcohol

While it's investing in new alcohol-free companies, Silicon Valley is also reexamining its own relationship with alcohol.

Alcohol has been one of the perks a*sociated with tech and startup cultures over the years, with young companies embracing the idea of hustling hard, but also bonding over a drink, or several, with colleagues. Inevitably, the availability of alcohol in offices has come under scrutiny when companies run into unflattering alcohol-fueled incidents. One of the more memorable ones: When HR services startup Zenefits banned alcohol consumption after reportedly finding cigarettes, beer cups and used condoms in the company's stairwell.

visit this link https://www.cnn.com/2019/ .. =pocket-newtab
+11   

126 comments for "People are sick of drinking. Investors are betting on the 'sober curious'"

2 weeks ago '04        #2
Kliq 382 heat pts382 OP
space
space
man I just got back from a bachelor party in New Orleans .... maybe slept a total of 12 hours in 4 nights

i dont ever wanna drink again man, its monday im at the office and i feel like straight horse sh*t

+85   

2 weeks ago '14        #3
4evaabso 55 heat pts55
space
space
$25,110 | Props total: 25524 25524
 Kliq said
man I just got back from a bachelor party in New Orleans .... maybe slept a total of 12 hours in 4 nights

i dont ever wanna drink again man, its monday im at the office and i feel like straight horse sh*t

Well done
Imagine being a local
+21   

2 weeks ago '15        #4
KING SOULJA 41 heat pts41
space
space
$11,860 | Props total: 17925 17925
Alcohol been trash
+42   

2 weeks ago '04        #5
Fresh Beats 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,144 | Props total: 5073 5073
 Kliq said

Grab some Pedialyte and you'll be good.
+20   

2 weeks ago '04        #6
Kliq 382 heat pts382 OP
space
space
 4evaabso said
Well done
Imagine being a local
that sh*t hurts my head just thinking about it

met this bi*ch at the bar, hoe was feeling me extra hard ... a little too hard

i said bet, lets go back to the airbnb

get all the way to the downstairs gate

she looks at me

"you know its pay to play, right?"

my whole mood changed up real quick

i told her nah, lets just go back to the bar and dance or whatever (i was secretly hoping to lose her before i caught up with my boy, but that bi*ch quick on her feet)

meet up with my boy, hes got a girl with him too

im just being extra vile and rude to the prositute at this point, just saying whatever, no filter "im about to get a drink, you want one bi*ch?" ....

the girl that my boy is with looking at him like "why your boy talking like that? you just gonna let him talk crazy to this girl?"

my boy looks me in the eye, sees that crazy look i got going on and says "yup"

#fu*kTheseThotties

Last edited by Kliq; 06-10-2019 at 12:31 PM..
+92   

2 weeks ago '05        #7
Ari Gold 348 heat pts348
space
space
$16,051 | Props total: 5929 5929
Trying to get sober? Come to a bar that sells no liquor!
+6   

2 weeks ago '04        #8
Kliq 382 heat pts382 OP
space
space
 Ari Gold said
Trying to get sober? Come to a bar that sells no liquor!
whats dumb about that?

its a brilliant idea actually

bars can have pretty cool vibes but if youre trying to avoid drinking its a trap

this sounds like the best of both worlds for me
+16   

2 weeks ago '16        #9
00010111 130 heat pts130
space
space
$4,843 | Props total: 17911 17911
 Kliq said

Aren't you a 'Muslim'?

+2   

2 weeks ago '15        #10
JRob1125 2 heat pts
space
space
$4,834 | Props total: 10895 10895
Yeah....the older I get, the worse I feel after drinking. I don't do it anymore
+22   

2 weeks ago '04        #11
Kliq 382 heat pts382 OP
space
space
 00010111 said
Aren't you a 'Muslim'?

i also get my fu*k on, do the occasional line of powder, vandalize @ gas station when im bored and haven't prayed in quite some time

but Allah is a merciful God
+21   

2 weeks ago '05        #12
blah blah blah 117 heat pts117
space
space
$33,696 | Props total: 48473 48473
 Kliq said

i also get my fu*k on, do the occasional line of powder, vandalize @ gas station when im bored and haven't prayed in quite some time

You ain’t a Muslim just a f*g**t wannabe. Coke head weirdo
+7   

2 weeks ago '16        #13
00010111 130 heat pts130
space
space
$4,843 | Props total: 17911 17911
I stopped drinking anything more than the occasional glass of wine and most importantly, I don't deal with women who drink.
+1   

2 weeks ago '15        #14
Mystic 299 heat pts299
space
space
$11,863 | Props total: 22616 22616
 Kliq said

[pic - click to view]

+22   

2 weeks ago '10        #15
t from the 617 
space
space
$5,182 | Props total: 13104 13104
sh*t sound trash. you can go to the bar and not drink alcohol, i was on a break from booze and would still link with my ppl at the bar. only difference is i would just get a ginger ale.
+9   

2 weeks ago '14        #16
4evaabso 55 heat pts55
space
space
$25,110 | Props total: 25524 25524
 Kliq said
that sh*t hurts my head just thinking about it

met this bi*ch at the bar, hoe was feeling me extra hard ... a little too hard

i said bet, lets go back to the airbnb

get all the way to the downstairs gate

she looks at me

"you know its pay to play, right?"

my whole mood changed up real quick

i told her nah, lets just go back to the bar and dance or whatever (i was secretly hoping to lose her before i caught up with my boy, but that bi*ch quick on her feet)

meet up with my boy, hes got a girl with him too

im just being extra vile and rude to the prositute at this point, just saying whatever, no filter "im about to get a drink, you want one bi*ch?" ....

the girl that my boy is with looking at him like "why your boy talking like that? you just gonna let him talk crazy to this girl?"

my boy looks me in the eye, sees that crazy look i got going on and says "yup"

#fu*kTheseThotties
Again well done, that situation could have gone sideways quick, these hoes in NOLA extra scandalous...

Best ya, bring sand to the beach in those situations or find a tourist with similar plans that evening...

AirBnb to too, man if they was local pros, I’m surprised they ain’t have y’all sh*t ransacked while y’all finished off hand grenades...
Nola, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Memphis, DMV, got some of the most trifling prostitutes in the country...
They’ll sell they soul for a quick fix of that dope or coke...
+6   

2 weeks ago '04        #17
Kliq 382 heat pts382 OP
space
space
 t from the 617 said
sh*t sound trash. you can go to the bar and not drink alcohol, i was on a break from booze and would still link with my ppl at the bar. only difference is i would just get a ginger ale.
i mean i guess during the daytime its alright to post up with a fu*king ginger ale at the bar

but no way does that sound fun at night when everyone else around you is on one (or two, or three, or four ....)

2 weeks ago '04        #18
Kliq 382 heat pts382 OP
space
space
 4evaabso said
Again well done, that situation could have gone sideways quick, these hoes in NOLA extra scandalous...

Best ya, bring sand to the beach in those situations or find a tourist with similar plans that evening...

AirBnb to too, man if they was local pros, I’m surprised they ain’t have y’all sh*t ransacked while y’all finished off hand grenades...
Nola, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Memphis, DMV, got some of the most trifling prostitutes in the country...
They’ll sell they soul for a quick fix of that dope or coke...
ayyo, couple things

first off

1) fu*k a hand grenade. i remember waking up early and seeing families walking around with them sh*ts in their hands way too sweet and way too strong. nah im good

2) we ended up bringing back two other strippers to our airbnb, we already told them straight up we not paying for no pu**y, but i think they needed a place to crash and i needed my d*ck sucked, so it worked out. no gonna lie whole time me and my boy kept our eyes EXTRA peeled on our sh*t, wasnt trying to get got

3) now on to the bolded part

my boy found this fu*k boy who had some "fire" sh*t, said it wasnt stepped on. told my boy to follow him for a sample

so we're waiting for my boy to come back, NO LIE Enes fu*king Kanter walks past us, so we go over there kick it with him for a second

anyways, about a minute later my boy comes out the corner walking like a fu*king soldier on a mission, arms fu*king going up in down hella aggressively, my man looks LIT

he explains to us that he just had the more fire, more pure sh*t he's ever tried and tries us to throw down $600 for it

me and the others are like ehhhh

my boy says fu*k it, he'll take the hit by himself

so he goes and gets a big a*s bag of that sh*t

we come back to the airnb

we line them bi*ches up

and that sh*t ends up being some straight baby powder

my man was heartbroken

expensive lesson learned
+23   

2 weeks ago '13        #19
THEDONN 
space
space
$34,324 | Props total: 30173 30173
I drink a beer once in a while

Other than that straight herbals

fu*k that drunk sh*t.
+4   

2 weeks ago '15        #20
TheMechXYZ 
space
space
$453 | Props total: 840 840
I've taken shots of whiskey here and there in the past but that's it. That sh*t hit my face the first time I drunk it I dont know how you alcoholics do it.

Can't drink that poison water.
+2   

2 weeks ago '04        #21
The_Most_H8ed 
space
space
$1,367 | Props total: 1396 1396
I don't drink...my stomach never liked it...but I still go to bars high as fu*k and get a ginger ale or coke and watch drunk people get sloppy
+1   

2 weeks ago '04        #22
Kliq 382 heat pts382 OP
space
space
 TheMechXYZ said
I've taken shots of whiskey here and there in the past but that's it. That sh*t hit my face the first time I drunk it I dont know how you alcoholics do it.

Can't drink that poison water.

[tweet - click to view]

"CUT"

but the trick is .... don't smell and dont chug, just knock it back
+22   

2 weeks ago '06        #23
"SS" 32 heat pts32
space
space
$12,085 | Props total: 13655 13655
 Kliq said

Hit the iv spot in your city and get u a bag of fluids
+2   

2 weeks ago '17        #24
SPdaGOAT 28 heat pts28
space
space
$16,849 | Props total: 35710 35710
cannabis lounges are beginning to pop up
+6   

2 weeks ago '04        #25
deziking 121 heat pts121
space
space
$22,663 | Props total: 12043 12043
Should be banned. Causes more death.
+1   

Home      

most viewed right now
+76online now  39
2019 Best Natural Booty Award Winner
42 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  36
Jun 23 - Apple considers MeetMe app ban after report claims it’s riddled with ..
25 comments
18 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
-19online now  32
Article inside YouTube Plans To Remove All Kids Content From The Site. And Destroy ..
29 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
online now  26
Article inside Diddy Gets Engaged To Lori Harvey The Ex Girlfriend Of His Son Justin..
351 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy