Netflix's She's Gotta Have It 2, John Boyega, and cultural beef

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 weeks ago '17        #1
2741 page views
93 comments

LostTenets 272 heat pts272
space
space
$11,980 | Props total: 30856 30856
Netflix's She's Gotta Have It 2, John Boyega, and cultural beef

’Star Wars’ actor John Boyega took offense to episode 5 of the second season of Spike Lee’s “She’s Gotta Have It” on Netflix.

In the episode titled, “SuperCaliFragis*xy,” Nola Darling (DeWanda Wise) and her new lust interest Olumide “Olu” Owoye (Michael Luwoye) discussed Black British actors’ impact on Hollywood versus the likes of Black American actors.

“Black British actors are better suited than black American actors because they don’t carry the burden of … fu*ked up black American history. Lynching, slavery, Jim Crow, all of that,” Olu remarked in the scene.

ADVERTISEMENTScroll To Continue To The Content
To which Nola responded, “You’re not unburdened, Olu! British ships were the dominant force in the Atlantic Slave Trade. Almost two million kidnapped Africans died in the Middle Passage. You and your Black British blokes didn’t come out unscathed. You just developed Stockholm syndrome, and fell in love with your captors.”

Nola continued, “(Black British actors) need to fall back and fall away from taking all of our roles, like we have dope, talented, trained, qualified black actors right here in the States. But at the end of the day, black brits just come cheaper”. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

The controversial comments were capped off with a shady reference to Boyega (Nola calls him “Bodega”), and the dig didn’t go unnoticed by Twitter users and the “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” actor as he responded via Twitter calling the scene and its dialogue “Trash.”

Trash. visit this link https://t.co/5jKgiB6YCH

— John Boyega (@JohnBoyega) May 27, 2019

In a response letter obtained by IndieWire, ”She’s Gotta Have It” writer and supervising producer Barry Michael Cooper decided to directly address Boyega’s comments as well as the larger diaspora’s concerns with the episode’s scene.

Cooper made sure to clarify that he wrote the episode (not show creator Spike Lee) and offered to hold himself responsible for any controversy attributed to the scene.

Cooper wrote: “In all fairness, Mr. Boyega, you have every right to be incensed by the intentional mispronunciation of you and Mr. [Chiwetel] Ejiofor’s names. My apologies to you both. I wrote Nola’s politicized screed not only to be provocative, but to also bracket her riposte with a historical reference.”

Cooper also reference the 2017 Hot 97 “Ebro in the Morning interview” where Samuel L. Jackson expresses a distaste for Jordan Peele’s casting choice of Black Brit Daniel Kaluuya In “Get Out.”

“One of the many discussions we had about the relationship between Nola and Olu in that episode was the issue of African American actors losing roles to Afro-Brit actors, which was prompted by Samuel L. Jackson’s 6 March 2017 interview with Ebro Darden on the New York radio station Hot 97.” Cooper continued.

Cooper admitted that he wanted to “get folks talking” with the scene, but the moment seemed like it was only meant to rehash already settled feelings expressed back in 2017 when most agreed that black actors were black actors no matter what side of the Atlantic they came from.

Boyega did not respond further to Cooper or his comments.
+6   

93 comments for "Netflix's She's Gotta Have It 2, John Boyega, and cultural beef"

2 weeks ago '12        #2
johnnysnow 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$5,983 | Props total: 9693 9693
Current Black American actors are not better than their British counterparts

Spike hating

2 weeks ago '04        #3
dat_boi_tj 5 heat pts
space
space
$4,540 | Props total: 2639 2639
I will say this In reference to Snowfall specifically.... Franklin, I was legit shocked when he revealed himself to be British. Like they are that good man I did not see it coming. If it's good who cares who playing. No one said a thing about Stringer Bell
+38   

2 weeks ago '05        #4
Rockstar718 71 heat pts71
space
space
$12,450 | Props total: 15407 15407
 johnnysnow said
Current Black American actors are not better than their British counterparts

Spike hating
Spike didnt write it. Didn you even read the article?
+22   

2 weeks ago '05        #5
Da Gooneyz 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,499 | Props total: 1803 1803
Yeah...my spider-sense still works. Glad I avoided this show.

2 weeks ago '13        #6
PBC 31 heat pts31
space
space
$7,099 | Props total: 8012 8012
Didn’t know this was a thing
+3   

2 weeks ago '08        #7
Soda Pop 8 heat pts
space
space
$10,427 | Props total: 6039 6039
Interesting... them dudes can act so... I have nothing. All Americans and do is stay on the craft. I also blame the current crop of bad writers and equally bad directors. You be surprised how many people working on Hollywood have no clue what they are doing. They are there on a hook up or nepotism.
+10   

2 weeks ago '05        #8
youngvito18 8 heat pts
space
space
$15,283 | Props total: 9044 9044
we cool with blacks taking white roles but we have an issue with blacks taking black roles...because those blacks aren't british?

man

americans..no matter white or black show so much ignorance consistently
+18   

2 weeks ago '16        #9
Funke 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,591 | Props total: 4067 4067
And this is why our division amongst one another has worked, till this day. Young vs old, smartest vs dumbest, light vs dark, strong vs weak these stigmas help to divide us, and we keep falling into the trap. F#$k
+5   

2 weeks ago '18        #10
Sandyy 5 heat pts
space
space
$3,447 | Props total: 11296 11296
 dat_boi_tj said
I will say this In reference to Snowfall specifically.... Franklin, I was legit shocked when he revealed himself to be British. Like they are that good man I did not see it coming. If it's good who cares who playing. No one said a thing about Stringer Bell
This. Saw him on black mirror and was like my man not even america - same for the black dude from walking couldnt believe his real voice.

They good
+4   

2 weeks ago '17        #11
O1as 345 heat pts345
space
space
$9,468 | Props total: 21527 21527
I mean lets be real here it was British actors that did that twelve years a slave bullsh*t. Also all they do is generalizations and stereotypes of black Americans. Hollyweird and its sellouts are disrespectful on and off screen.
+19   

2 weeks ago '16        #12
007imayeseekay 
space
space
$1,539 | Props total: 3572 3572
 youngvito18 said
we cool with blacks taking white roles but we have an issue with blacks taking black roles...because those blacks aren't british?

man

I stopped after "blacks taking white roles"...you must be 1 of those Kanye Jesse Lee #Housen*ggaLogic having a*s negroes.

With that said, it's a legitimate argument.
If I was a Black American actor, I'd feel some type of way about it.
The London dude in his feelings.
+13   

2 weeks ago '04        #13
UF4Soldier 136 heat pts136
space
space
$21,507 | Props total: 14911 14911
 Funke said
And this is why our division amongst one another has worked, till this day. Young vs old, smartest vs dumbest, light vs dark, strong vs weak these stigmas help to divide us, and we keep falling into the trap. F#$k
Came to the conclusion black people ainít never coming together. Your life will be amazing once u realize that

2 weeks ago '19        #14
Snip3Acct 10 heat pts10
space
space
$479 | Props total: 1212 1212
How do we know British actors are better, when there are no young African American actors or actresses at all? Outside of Michale B Jordan, who is there?

You got Chadwick Boseman and Mahershali Ali, but they are old and have been around for a decade.

Last edited by Snip3Acct; 06-09-2019 at 06:43 PM..
+2   

2 weeks ago '14        #15
titans7 1 heat pts
space
space
$10,049 | Props total: 25292 25292
 O1as said
I mean lets be real here it was British actors that did that twelve years a slave bullsh*t. Also all they do is generalizations and stereotypes of black Americans. Hollyweird and its sellouts are disrespectful on and off screen.
Cosign all facts Sam Jackson called them out especially that part about working cheaper because they fu*ked up decades of hardwork done by blacks in the union f*ghting for pay.
Reminds me of the latins coming into mlb and now the black Americans are almost gone because the latin Hispanics are just happy to be in America so they won't rock the boat. That catcher last season took a knee like kapernick now they are saying he is out of American baseball for life because owners colluded. Then when racism happens like Hader in Milwaukee you see latin and Hispanic players accepting his apology to black Americans like wtf you need a translator for interviews but you are accepting apologies on behalf of me and my people gtfoh. Same fans cheering your gullible latin a*s are asking trump to build a wall.

Last edited by titans7; 06-09-2019 at 07:00 PM..
+16   

2 weeks ago '07        #16
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
$41,737 | Props total: 8636 8636
 youngvito18 said

man

What white roles are blacks taking from whites?
+4   

2 weeks ago '10        #17
BIGthingsSON2 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,821 | Props total: 7706 7706
I gives fck less about this argument. I don't play too deep into n*gga politics. You can't win no matter your opinion.

2 weeks ago '16        #18
Supreme God 129 heat pts129
space
space
$6,250 | Props total: 26919 26919
I gotta start season 2, just finished ozark season 2 and still gotta watch punisher and last season of house of cards.

2 weeks ago '13        #19
wallace45 25 heat pts25
space
space
$11,822 | Props total: 4990 4990
 dat_boi_tj said
The thing is it seems like African American actors are being looked over or straight up not getting acting roles vs British n*ggas... I fu*k with a few British actors so it's not like I'm hating but it really seems like Hollywood not trying to give non British n*ggas a chance
+8   

2 weeks ago '13        #20
kromw2 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,015 | Props total: 2675 2675
This show is annoying as hell . Only saw part of season one, hate the main character

2 weeks ago '17        #21
O1as 345 heat pts345
space
space
$9,468 | Props total: 21527 21527
 titans7 said
Cosign all facts Sam Jackson called them out especially that part about working cheaper because they fu*ked up decades of hardwork done by blacks in the union f*ghting for pay.
Reminds me of the latins coming into mlb and now the black Americans are almost gone because the latin Hispanics are just happy to be in America so they won't rock the boat. That catcher last season took a knee like kapernick now they are saying he is out of American baseball for life because owners colluded. Then when racism happens like Hader in Milwaukee you see latin and Hispanic players accepting his apology to black Americans like wtf you need a translator for interviews but you are accepting apologies on behalf of me and my people gtfoh. Same fans cheering your gullible latin a*s are asking trump to build a wall.
Yup. That part. Those MLB players can't wait to pull a Sammy Sosa. All those years of being payed nothing to tap dance mammy and now Hollyweird pretends to be so hard up on money to pay what they owe them. Seth Rogan and charlize theron getting all the funding and full pay they ask for, while destroying black children and benefiting off apartheid till this day. Hollyweird gotta go bruh long story short.

2 weeks ago '13        #22
boopityboop 25 heat pts25
space
space
$8,855 | Props total: 7241 7241
You dumb fu*ks fall for the bait every time.

2 weeks ago '07        #23
Cartel-Clipz 38 heat pts38
space
space
$37,285 | Props total: 52293 52293
Interesting. Didn't know this was an issue.
+2   

2 weeks ago '19        #24
Rico Black 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$239 | Props total: 408 408
If you begging for roles, you ain't a boss.

n*gga, it's 2019, everybody got an iPhone and Youtube.

Create your own sh*t, monetize your own sh*t, own your own sh*t! Stop asking other motherfu*kers to play ball and go get your own.
+6   

2 weeks ago '08        #25
stead21 12 heat pts12
space
space
$8,277 | Props total: 5096 5096
Another divide and conquer technique.
+9   

Home      

most viewed right now
online now  49
Image(s) inside HOLY sh-t: NIPSEY MOM Is EXPOSING LAPD & MEDIA At BET AWARD DURING SPE..
266 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+125online now  45
2019 Best Natural Booty Award Winner
77 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+19online now  32
Video inside Any of u familiar with the Brian Wells story(Pizza delivery guy who rob..
77 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
-72online now  16
NBA The 1996 Bulls were a Superteam
116 comments
1 day ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy