Here's why dark phoenix failed

most viewed right now
44 comments @sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 weeks ago '04        #1
3603 page views
61 comments

mpmastamind510 53 heat pts53
space
space
$3,390 | Props total: 2828 2828
Here's why dark phoenix failed

Fox execs expected this huge invasion style attack on New York, with the X men battling along side.

What they got was just Jean and Scott saving civilians and UN leaders, Charles is also there, but his powers don’t work on aliens, so was a liability more than anything. The UN attack was scripted differently when this was going to be A TWO PART saga. (A WHOLE other messy story lol)

Also this old 3rd act was not well received by test audience, “long and bloated” “huge action set piece no substance”, was the kind of feedback they received. (XMen are imprisioned during this whole thing)

They initially wanted to redo the UN sequence with all the X Men present, but the sets had been long destroyed, and rebuilding them (it’s the biggest set of any X film) and acquiring the licenses and permits for the locations was too TIMELY and COSTLY.

They had to settle for the train sequence which was predominantly shot on a sound stage, with the exception of the leaked set pics, which were shot on a yard. This sequence as seen in the trailers, has all the Mutants f*ghting alongside each other, the REQUIREMENT Fox asked for.

- Okay so there are some HUGE name OSCAR winning people behind the scenes creating this movie, look them up on IMDB. They ALL signed on to a FINISHED two part script, and were hired for their experience and talent, to bring together the huge undertaking of filming TWO movies.

- The two movies were to be filmed together. The plan was to film most of the huge action pieces first. So the UN set, the largest of any X film, as well as the New York night street battle set, were all being built. These to sets were the THIRD act sets for each movie, with the UN set serving as the HUGE invasion style finale for PART TWO! Part one‘s finale set, is still partially in THIS movie, albeit scaled down, and with key players missing. It also serves as the close of the second act, opposed to a final act battle.

- Fox, with about 2 months until principal photography, BLINDSIDED the entire team, CUT the budget and informed the creative team to scale it down to ONE movie. They were not told of any reason (no employee at Fox knew about the merger until it was announced, only higher ups). They scrambled. They had to rewrite an ENTIRE script, pulling together pieces and ideas from the old ones, while COMPLETELY cutting out characters, set pieces, sequences, and changing some characters motivations.

- The biggest omission from this is the Shi’ar!!!!! Yes the Shi’ar were to be introduced and fleshed out in the scrapped two part movies. Simon KNEW bringing them in this new script would be foolish, drawing away the spotlight from Jean. Having to do their origin story, as well as a certain character’s relationship with Charles, while also telling Jeans descent into darkness, in a two hour time frame, was UNREALISTIC. Things had to be cut guys.

- Jessica Chastain signed on to play LILANDRA! When the scripted changed, they had to delay her from shooting, while they figured out who she would play and how she would be involved. Eventually Jessica started TWO and a half months after all the other actors had started.

-from EW interview -And while Chastain is a non-human villain in a huge superhero movie, the way she plays her is the biggest twist. Instead of big booming speeches (see: Apocalypse), Chastain is quietly threatening. Explains the actress, “Simon and I first sat down in Montreal and we were talking about the character and I said ‘I don’t know if this is right but I keep thinking of the vet who tells you you need to put your dog down. There’s something very clinical about it.’ He loved it and we kind of expanded the character from there.

- Because they already had sets built for the original idea, they had to use them, also with the budget cut, they couldn’t just destroy them and build new ones. They incorporated them into this singular movie. While they had managed to rewrite the first two acts, by the time shooting had begun, THEY HAD BARELY a working script for the third act lol. Just ideas.

- The reason Jessica kept teasing her character was because even after the rewrites, they still intended her to be Lilandra. They filmed a whole scene of her introducing herself to the world as the Empress, although the Shi’ar are NOT named, instead she leads a mysterious grey humanoid alien race. They realised she resembled NOTHING of Lilandra, so shot an alternate version of her being nameless, which would have been the cut we saw, had they kept the old third act. Basically someone needed to have a chat with Jessica lmao!

- When Fox reviewed the footage, and seeing the test audience feedback, they realised their blunder, and allowed for additional photography to commence (reshoots).They realised in doing so, they would have to push back the film. Fox wanted the February date while Kinberg urged them for a later date, because the reshoots would end in September, and the film coming out in Feb wouldn’t allow enough time to edit, score and add effects. Keep in mind they are REPLACING a whole third act. Fox Announces the Valentine’s Day release anyway.

When everything was completed, FOX again realised the effects weren’t going to be complete lol, so agreed to move it to the current date, ON THE CONDITION a trailer was to be released in order to soften the delay. The trailer would have the new date, and would be the announcement. Somewhere in the shuffle, the company that cuts trailers, left the Feb date on and was released. The biggest LOL....

Because the delay in rewrites, they had to cut out, Storm, Beast, Magneto, who all had other commitments by the time filming the old third act had started. Easiest option was to have them “captured”. This new Sequence corrects that! Only Evan Peters (Quicksilver) was unavailable to do both (AHS) lol.

In an interview from back in 2017, Olivia Munn said that the movie was supposed to be a two-parter and she was supposed to return as Psylocke. Apparently, all the mutants from X-Men: Apocalypse were supposed to be along for the two-part Dark Phoenix saga. Olivia Munn's Psylocke was supposed to be the psychic of the group -- a role that Selene (Kota Eberhardt) took on in Dark Phoenix instead.

from the Un scenes after Jean comes back to them. She destroyed Lilandria’s (Vuk was a rename) ship (not of the Shiar though..) then she k*lled Lilandria and her soldiers on the ground. She and Scott have a moment as she’s floating above the fountain pool in front of the UN. She goes full Phoenix and holds his eyes back once more, this time showing she could do it from anywhere as his eyes are normal as she flies upwards into space, taking out incoming ships along the way. Then when she gets to space and there’s an entire fleet of them, she takes herself out along with all of them. This is where the CM comparisons would have come in as CM showed Danvers taking out those missiles as she was flying to space.

Last edited by mpmastamind510; 06-09-2019 at 12:19 AM..
+7   

61 comments for "Here's why dark phoenix failed"

2 weeks ago '10        #2
FrankAndBeans 31 heat pts31
space
space
$4,963 | Props total: 8999 8999
Heres why

[pic - click to view]

+63   

2 weeks ago '04        #3
hedake 20 heat pts20
space
space
space
$7,061 | Props total: 21699 21699
most heads i know were die hard fans until THIS sh*t poisoned the franchise....

[pic - click to view]

+55   

2 weeks ago '04        #4
Mike T 178 heat pts178
space
space
$17,231 | Props total: 32712 32712
None of that sounds like good decision making. Does Fox not do like Marvel & bring in comic heads to vet about adaptations film? I know for a fact the military does. Comic adaptations have been keeping entertainment afloat the past few years and wont stop anytime soon. So I would a*sume they would. Because taking a 20page comic to a 2hr movie, of course, there's filler, but that filler needs to blend well with the source material, director & actors.
At this point James Macvoy, Mike Fasbender & Jennifer are beneath these films if they arent going to be great
+9   

2 weeks ago '04        #5
Mike T 178 heat pts178
space
space
$17,231 | Props total: 32712 32712
 hedake said

[pic - click to view]

Bruh they chose to make Apoc/Oscar Issac look like sh*t. When the studio was looking for designers 1 studio brought them & sculpted the makeup on OscarIssac & got it comic accurate. They went with the fu*kery route.

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Tested recently released a fascinating video interview with Ironhead Studio founder Jose Fernandez, where Fernandez describes much of the work he's been doing with superhero design in film, often with little to no credit. Ironhead worked on Batman v Superman, Thor, Tron Legacy, Batman Returns, The Avengers and many others. The company knows how to create and execute on complex ideas.

The entire video is wonderful if you're interested in superhero suit design and fabrication, but the real heartbreaker takes place when Fernandez shows off his concepts for X-Men: Apocalypse.

Fernandez said he lost the bid to work on Apocalypse, and like many of us he was "underwhelmed" by the final version of the character. He also had a lifecast of Apocalypse actor Oscar Isaac, and decided to take a crack at the design.

"I thought maybe it’s not possible to make him look like this character, but that is sculpted on Oscar Isaac, so I’m like well no, it was possible," he said. So the version of Apocalypse from this video isn't just a dream, it could have been made to work with the actor playing the part.

"I sculpted the makeup and then I kind of bashed out the armor fairly quickly, but just an impression of what that character I think could be, could have been," Fernandez explained.

+29   

2 weeks ago '04        #6
kniccalodeon 
space
space
space
$2,088 | Props total: 4550 4550
@

I just wanna personally thank you for all these years of insight and behind the scenes info you’ve given us. I’m going to see it this afternoon and because of you I’ve been ahead of the curve knowing what to expect (I mean after Apocalypse what could anyone expect?). Sucks to know what it is, but i was an x-baby and they’ll always have a place in my heart. Excited for Feige to get his hands on them, but we need a break from this horrible sh*t.
+4   

2 weeks ago '09        #7
McmasterlockPt2 43 heat pts43
space
space
$13,466 | Props total: 1705 1705
Give five years and reboot it
+5   

2 weeks ago '17        #8
dubsax 16 heat pts16
space
space
$9,505 | Props total: 29818 29818
or

Sophie Turner is a sh*tty actress
+12   

2 weeks ago '14        #9
Comicsnow 134 heat pts134
space
space
$3,217 | Props total: 13134 13134

[video - click to view]

all the wasted opportunities
[spoiler - click to view]

[video - click to view]

+1   

2 weeks ago '04        #10
mpmastamind510 53 heat pts53 OP
space
space
 kniccalodeon said
@

I just wanna personally thank you for all these years of insight and behind the scenes info youve given us. Im going to see it this afternoon and because of you Ive been ahead of the curve knowing what to expect (I mean after Apocalypse what could anyone expect?). Sucks to know what it is, but i was an x-baby and theyll always have a place in my heart. Excited for Feige to get his hands on them, but we need a break from this horrible sh*t.
appreciate it this bro..

thanks!

+3   

2 weeks ago '04        #11
mpmastamind510 53 heat pts53 OP
space
space
Lauren Shuler Donners original plan was to continue from DOFP to make X4 and X5.

Wolverine arrives back at the end of DOFP at the school and meets everyone but realizes Jean and scott have a daughter, Rachel Summers. the movie ends with jean having nightmare visions of x-men the last stand and runs to Rachel's room and sees the Phoenix manifestation.

[pic - click to view]

X4 is the Apocalypse movie but with the OG cast. Apocalypse wants Jean's body instead since shes the omega mutant.

[pic - click to view]

Rachel displays the phoenix rapture at the end to save her mom but it leaves her and goes supernova destroying a planet in the Shi'ar system. The Shi'ar Empire becomes aware and heads to earth and the movie ends with a cliffhanger for X5 which would be the PHOENIX saga.

Last edited by mpmastamind510; 06-10-2019 at 08:15 AM..
+13   

2 weeks ago '11        #12
CALViiiN 772 heat pts772
space
space
$20,747 | Props total: 46351 46351
Cause it’s not marvel?
+1   

2 weeks ago '18        #13
Lord God 85 heat pts85
space
space
$5,183 | Props total: 25352 25352
X-Men deserves Marvel's touch. No lengthy excuses... they've been made by the wrong folks. The end.
+9   

2 weeks ago '15        #14
Mtyjoejnblkblnd 75 heat pts75
space
space
$18,981 | Props total: 29338 29338
 FrankAndBeans said
Heres why

[pic - click to view]

2 weeks ago '15        #15
space
space
 hedake said

[pic - click to view]

This movie was so damn trash.
+5   

2 weeks ago '15        #16
space
space
 Mike T said
Bruh they chose to make Apoc/Oscar Issac look like sh*t. When the studio was looking for designers 1 studio brought them & sculpted the makeup on OscarIssac & got it comic accurate. They went with the fu*kery route.

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Tested recently released a fascinating video interview with Ironhead Studio founder Jose Fernandez, where Fernandez describes much of the work he's been doing with superhero design in film, often with little to no credit. Ironhead worked on Batman v Superman, Thor, Tron Legacy, Batman Returns, The Avengers and many others. The company knows how to create and execute on complex ideas.

The entire video is wonderful if you're interested in superhero suit design and fabrication, but the real heartbreaker takes place when Fernandez shows off his concepts for X-Men: Apocalypse.

Fernandez said he lost the bid to work on Apocalypse, and like many of us he was "underwhelmed" by the final version of the character. He also had a lifecast of Apocalypse actor Oscar Isaac, and decided to take a crack at the design.

"I thought maybe its not possible to make him look like this character, but that is sculpted on Oscar Isaac, so Im like well no, it was possible," he said. So the version of Apocalypse from this video isn't just a dream, it could have been made to work with the actor playing the part.

"I sculpted the makeup and then I kind of bashed out the armor fairly quickly, but just an impression of what that character I think could be, could have been," Fernandez explained.

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

+36   

2 weeks ago '07        #17
killacar 6 heat pts
space
space
$6,427 | Props total: 9903 9903
 Mike T said
None of that sounds like good decision making. Does Fox not do like Marvel & bring in comic heads to vet about adaptations film? I know for a fact the military does. Comic adaptations have been keeping entertainment afloat the past few years and wont stop anytime soon. So I would a*sume they would. Because taking a 20page comic to a 2hr movie, of course, there's filler, but that filler needs to blend well with the source material, director & actors.
At this point James Macvoy, Mike Fasbender & Jennifer are beneath these films if they arent going to be great
Agree, but a comic arc is usually way more than just 20 pages (spanning over dozens of issues in most cases)....there is plenty of material for them to write around and still build off of without having mountains of filler.....I think the problem always comes in when too many people want to make it their own and the studio putting their fingers in the pot.
+5   

2 weeks ago '05        #18
rashcobar 15 heat pts15
space
space
$13,814 | Props total: 5981 5981
Sophie Turner is very one dimensional actor...not believable at all.
+2   

2 weeks ago '17        #19
bmf24eva 6 heat pts
space
space
$1,581 | Props total: 4346 4346
It failed cuz Disney wanted it to fail....period.

Thats why they made them change the ending and they took out the Wolverine/Jean love angle.

Disney wants errrybody to say how much it sucked so when they reboot it everyone loses their minds.

And Fox already paid for it before the buyout so any lil change it makes is all profit for Disney and still a tax/write off when it underperforms.

Its not rocket science to see the formula.

They did it/are doing it with Daredevil (and Luke Cage) which is why they never added him into the MCU even though people fu*ked with the show/actor who played him heavy.

But they only want the Disney version of these characters so they get all the credit + Merchandising rights.

The only reason they co-promoted the 3rd Spiderman reboot with Sony is cuz they NEEDED the character for Civil/Infinity War which is why the deal is up after the next 1.

Fassbender was a sick Magneto....what a waste.

Last edited by bmf24eva; 06-10-2019 at 10:15 AM..
+11   

2 weeks ago '18        #20
JugHead 
space
space
$262 | Props total: 1034 1034
Does anybody know who the cat with Dr Octopus dreads is

2 weeks ago '16        #21
GLOIN 523 heat pts523
space
space
$11,535 | Props total: 34728 34728
 rashcobar said
Sophie Turner is very one dimensional actor...not believable at all.
She cant carry a movie and be the lead actor

2 weeks ago '11        #22
whouthinkitis 22 heat pts22
space
space
$9,910 | Props total: 3180 3180
 McmasterlockPt2 said
Give five years and reboot it
No. This franchise needs at least a 8-10 year break. After phase 5 or 6 introduce them into the MCCU. FOX has made an abomination out of the X-Men & Fantastic Four franchise.
+3   

2 weeks ago '16        #23
Too Nooice 233 heat pts233
space
space
$2,728 | Props total: 19514 19514
1st Class was so good too idk what went wrong after Days of future past

Last edited by Too Nooice; 06-10-2019 at 05:56 PM..
+7   

2 weeks ago '18        #24
BIG FONT 12 heat pts12
space
space
$860 | Props total: 4048 4048
Bad casting and the film wasnt dark enough mane twas too soft

2 weeks ago '04        #25
Young Professa 11 heat pts11
space
space
$16,842 | Props total: 9680 9680
outside of logan, there isn't a single x-men movie worth watching under the 20th century fox umbrella

anyone that supported that garbage deserved to have their money taken
+4   

Home      

most viewed right now
+123online now  52
2019 Best Natural Booty Award Winner
77 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  33
Image(s) inside HOLY sh-t: NIPSEY MOM Is EXPOSING LAPD & MEDIA At BET AWARD DURING SPE..
259 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+19online now  30
Video inside Any of u familiar with the Brian Wells story(Pizza delivery guy who rob..
76 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
-70online now  23
NBA The 1996 Bulls were a Superteam
116 comments
1 day ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy