Jun 4 - L.A. officials stunned as homeless population jumps by 12 percent in just one year

most viewed right now
+33  65
73 comments @sports
most viewed right now
34 comments @sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

New replies show every 10 seconds
 2 weeks ago '11        #26
Sin 2119 heat pts2119
space
space
$31,186 | Props total: 94070 94070
 SomeOnesoN said
Seriously, what the fu*k is wrong with you??

You'd be in the same predicament if you weren't getting your money from government a*sistance.

You truly are a piece of sh*t.
nah dudes truly retarded

he has a youtube page where he rants

2 weeks ago '05        #27
autoraptronix 13 heat pts13
space
space
$5,498 | Props total: 1518 1518
 Sin said
Plenty of US cities have programs the offer homeless one way tickets to any of the 50 states

That's a good example of a failed model.

Which still proves my point. If a person can't afford to move once they are "priced out" of their homes, they most likely end up homeless. With your example the person would already be homeless to qualify meaning they would have also lost their poor paying job. Relocating a person to another city with no job, money, or prospects also sounds immoral. I hope that's not what you think of as a solution.

2 weeks ago '11        #28
Sin 2119 heat pts2119
space
space
 autoraptronix said

Which still proves my point. If a person can't afford to move once they are "priced out" of their homes, they most likely end up homeless. With your example the person would already be homeless to qualify meaning they would have also lost their poor paying job. Relocating a person to another city with no job, money, or prospects also sounds immoral. I hope that's not what you think of as a solution.
That sounds like bum talk

You put me anywhere in the prosperous nation on earth and i won’t be broke for long

The study found most of those families moved to cities where they had family to help them and give them shelter, food and job prospects
+1   

2 weeks ago '05        #29
space
space
 Sin said
That sounds like bum talk

...what is "bum talk"?

Sin said
You put me anywhere in the prosperous nation on earth and i won’t be broke for long

The study found most of those families moved to cities where they had family to help them and give them shelter, food and job prospects
You have an narcissistic world view. Narcism and chest puffing shouldn't be part of policy discussion.

But what a strange study. So all the homeless in these cities had family in other states who took them in and were able to help get them work? And to you this makes sense as a policy that most who fall into homelessness could be able to replicate?

Or maybe your program was specifically for families who had people that agreed to take them in and could provide other prospects. Thats entirely different than just giving thousands of homeless free bus tickets to anywhere in the country.

2 weeks ago '11        #30
Sin 2119 heat pts2119
space
space
 autoraptronix said
...what is "bum talk"?

You have an narcissistic world view. Narcism and chest puffing shouldn't be part of policy discussion.

But what a strange study. So all the homeless in these cities had family in other states who took them in and were able to help get them work? And to you this makes sense as a policy that most who fall into homelessness could be able to replicate?

Or maybe your program was specifically for families who had people that agreed to take them in and could provide other prospects. Thats entirely different than just giving thousands of homeless free bus tickets to anywhere in the country.
bum talk is when someone afraid to take chances that could benefit them so they'd rather stay in the same failing situation

the program is voluntary for anyone who wants to sign up for a better opportunity rather than be homeless begging the government for a handout

a government handout will only get you so far and can be revoked at any moment. I trust myself more than I do the government a*sistance

[pic - click to view]

call me a narcissist if you want but I work hard not to be homeless
+2   

2 weeks ago '11        #31
Sin 2119 heat pts2119
space
space
 autoraptronix said

and you think busing families for a better opportunity for a few hundred dollars is a fail model but favor spending billions if not trillions to give free houses to people who failed to stay employed and keep a roof over their family head would be better

you'll thousands of leeches that have no incentive to find jobs
+2   

2 weeks ago '05        #32
space
space
 Sin said
bum talk is when someone afraid to take chances that could benefit them so they'd rather stay in the same failing situation

the program is voluntary for anyone who wants to sign up for a better opportunity rather than be homeless begging the government for a handout

a government handout will only get you so far and can be revoked at any moment. I trust myself more than I do the government a*sistance

I called you a narcissist because you couldn't think of a response without including yourself as if public policy was designed for you exclusively.

Your definition of bum talk sounds exactly like the bum relocation program you brought up - afraid to change, doubling down on failure instead.

It neither addresses the causes of homelessness in a city (low wage growth, lack of affordable housing) nor helps people out of homelessness. What else do you call shipping homeless to other cities to make it their problem, but doubling down on failure?

Sin said
call me a narcissist if you want but I work hard not to be homeless
I bet you do. Let's hope your job always provides affordable healthcare and no surprise medical expenses come up before layoff season. Like most Americans you're probably only a few paychecks away from being homeless yourself.
+2   

2 weeks ago '05        #33
space
space
 Sin said
and you think busing families for a better opportunity for a few hundred dollars is a fail model but favor spending billions if not trillions to give free houses to people who failed to stay employed and keep a roof over their family head would be better

you'll thousands of leeches that have no incentive to find jobs
It's a niche program that absolutely will not work for the vast majority of homeless people. The only exceptions would be those with families in other cities who can afford to house them. How many bums on the street you think have families, in other cities, who are capable and willing to take them? A very small fraction.

These busing programs usually just provide a ticket with no other support at all. Its just bum talk. Any other ideas that don't push the problem onto someone else as your own piles up?
+1   

2 weeks ago '11        #34
Sin 2119 heat pts2119
space
space
 autoraptronix said
I called you a narcissist because you couldn't think of a response without including yourself as if public policy was designed for you exclusively.

Your definition of bum talk sounds exactly like the bum relocation program you brought up - afraid to change, doubling down on failure instead.

It neither addresses the causes of homelessness in a city (low wage growth, lack of affordable housing) nor helps people out of homelessness. What else do you call shipping homeless to other cities to make it their problem, but doubling down on failure?

I bet you do. Let's hope your job always provides affordable healthcare and no surprise medical expenses come up before layoff season. Like most Americans you're probably only a few paychecks away from being homeless yourself.
I haven't got a paycheck from my job since march I had a kidney transplant and returned to work on the 24th and I'm still caught up on my rent, car, phone bill and everything else while still sticking to my investment stratgy

2 weeks ago '11        #35
Sin 2119 heat pts2119
space
space
 autoraptronix said
It's a niche program that absolutely will not work for the vast majority of homeless people. The only exceptions would be those with families in other cities who can afford to house them. How many bums on the street you think have families, in other cities, who are capable and willing to take them? A very small fraction.

These busing programs usually just provide a ticket with no other support at all. Its just bum talk. Any other ideas that don't push the problem onto someone else as your own piles up?
these are grown adults not children its not anyones responsibility to make sure they can sustain their own lives, the bus program is a to give a failing individuals chance to get themselves together

its not the government job to coddle and support them

this whole thread is about the millions California has spent on failing programs

2 weeks ago '05        #36
space
space
 Sin said
I haven't got a paycheck from my job since march I had a kidney transplant and returned to work on the 24th and I'm still caught up on my rent, car, phone bill and everything else while still sticking to my investment stratgy
Again you can't seem to exclude your anecdotal self stories. How many people do you think have investment strategies to live off of while waiting months for a pay check?

2 weeks ago '11        #37
Sin 2119 heat pts2119
space
space
 autoraptronix said
Again you can't seem to exclude your anecdotal self stories. How many people do you think have investment strategies to live off of while waiting months for a pay check?
I talk about my personal experiences because my life is the on example I have, I can't give 1st hand examples of someone else life. I give examples on studies when I know of them

I can't live off my investments at the moments but if I stick to my strategy I will be able to in the future

2 weeks ago '18        #38
Deeznutz1981 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,776 | Props total: 1842 1842
 SomeOnesoN said
Seriously, what the fu*k is wrong with you??

You'd be in the same predicament if you weren't getting your money from government a*sistance.

You truly are a piece of sh*t.

[pic - click to view]

+1   

2 weeks ago '05        #39
space
space
 Sin said
I talk about my personal experiences because my life is the on example I have, I can't give 1st hand examples of someone else life. I give examples on studies when I know of them

I can't live off my investments at the moments but if I stick to my strategy I will be able to in the future
That make sense to relate policies to your own experiences. Being able to empathize with others is also helpful when you're thinking about ideas that might affect people live different lifestyles. Imo these programs are a waste of money if they are only about maintaining (or moving around) the homeless population. The money would be better spent helping keep people and families out of poverty with things like free childcare and housing subsidies, free 2 year college college, etc.
+2   

2 weeks ago '11        #40
Sin 2119 heat pts2119
space
space
 autoraptronix said
That make sense to relate policies to your own experiences. Being able to empathize with others is also helpful when you're thinking about ideas that might affect people live different lifestyles. Imo these programs are a waste of money if they are only about maintaining (or moving around) the homeless population. The money would be better spent helping keep people and families out of poverty with things like free childcare and housing subsidies, free 2 year college college, etc.
what about these people affect on my life?

i don't want to come outside and see bums sleeping getting high next to my car or on my building stairs

LA spent 42 million on helping homeless and they failed the numbers are increasing

i 100% agree that money should have gone to childcare and education

2 weeks ago '06        #41
Yung Dilla 1595 heat pts1595
space
space
$64,712 | Props total: 72828 72828
Well no sh*t you're charging people 1500 for a one bedroom and that's some sh*tty fu*king apartment. I'm paying 2650 for a two bedroom I love L.A. but most people can't afford it and can't or don't want to leave the place they know. I'm really thinking about buying a house and the way I feel right now it'll be in Vegas as much as I love L.A. I can't pay 1.5 for a house that's 300k in Vegas.
+3   

1 week ago '05        #42
240sx 
space
space
$5,340 | Props total: 2676 2676
More like 30%

1 week ago '05        #43
Fauby 21 heat pts21
space
space
$5,167 | Props total: 11310 11310
 Deeznutz1981 said
Liberal utopian sh*t hole
Tell your sh*t hole state to stop accepting liberal money then

1 week ago '07        #44
yolaboy 191 heat pts191
space
space
$5,786 | Props total: 12352 12352
 DominicanLou said
I respect you on here, but you gotta fully understand the nuances of this issue in LA. I can't speak on SF or other places, but Skid Row/homelessness thrives in large part because of a system that creates the problem that it solves.

Much of these nonprofit organizations that serve Skid Row make their money from this problem. From the Federal/County subsidies that they receive, as well as other benefits, there is little incentive to "solve" homelessness. Additionally, they are paid for every body...every name they can enter on an intake form, every "service" delivered, is a paycheck. Not to mention, some of these nonprofit affordable housing developers take advantage of incentives meant to curb the shortage of affordable housing. Much like how developers are taking advantage of Opportunity Zones currently. In short, homelessness is profitable.

We can even talk about how in a City that's ~7% black with one of the largest populations of homeless, a great majority of them are black. We've seen this before.

Soooo black and brown bodies fuel the prison industrial complex. And in LA, a region with one of the wealthiest economies in the world, homeless black and brown bodies are used by real estate development companies posing as nonprofits and nonprofits run by for-profit minded individuals for money. We see once again how human capital is exploited for financial gain. These people look like you and I...

The fact that some people end up homeless due to their own negligence is negligible. To make empty solutions like yours is not productive nor innovative. And that type of thinking will never inspire anything close to a solution.

Homelessness at these levels should be looked at as a symptom. Unless the overall well-being of humans doesn't much concern you. And that's fine and understandable.

I just find it ludicrous. Blacks are disproportionately locked up more than any other group in the US. Would you suggest that they work themselves out of systemic racism?

Suggesting that the only reason people are homeless or poor is because of their own failure is a slippery slope. It is the perfect fodder for a*signing a particular "dysfunction" towards a group of people, insisting that they are what they are because it's just a characteristic of those people. This is how problems get swept under the rug and any claim speaking against it are dismissed. We've also seen that before.

Crack epidemic in the 80s: Well, that's just what they do.

Opioid crisis today: Oh my God, we must save our children.
10/10 post
+1   

1 week ago '18        #45
ordoabchao 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$4,434 | Props total: 6529 6529
 Gucci2x said
This is partly due to a large percentage of illegal immigrants not paying taxes on their income, which the majority of is sent back to their families in foreign countries. Coupled with all the free government programs that provide them with housing, health care and plethora of social services which arenít available to US citizens.

Also, the Chinese Government funded conglomerates that own a vast amount of rental properties which is a driving force behind the astronomical rise in California rent prices.

Sadly Itís only going to get worse as more and more automation gets implemented taking away an already scarce amount of jobs.
All facts. Especially in the Bay Area. White folk are being gentrified while gentrifying. Immigrants are replacing the middle class because their easier to control...getting paid under the table so they don't have to contribute directly to the system that is saving them.... And then they contribute to the backlash they receive by continuing to engage in unhealthy living practices (having multiple children without a steady source of income, etc)...
+1   

1 week ago '06        #46
DominicanLou 23 heat pts23
space
space
$8,973 | Props total: 7790 7790
 yolaboy said
10/10 post
preciate you my g

1 week ago '18        #47
back1 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$452 | Props total: 1219 1219
Its about drugs and mental health, not poverty. People on the street in LA are mentally unwell. I know. I lived in Santa Monica, now Venice. When I say mental health, I don't mean screaming and talking to themselves. But if you've ever had a conversation with them, they are suffering from paranoia and depression. Both important mental health issues.
+1   

4 days ago '18        #48
Deeznutz1981 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,776 | Props total: 1842 1842
@Sin

[video - click to view]

The whole country would look like this if you were in control. 5th largest economy only for you elite liberals!!!
+2   

4 days ago '06        #49
DominicanLou 23 heat pts23
space
space
$8,973 | Props total: 7790 7790
 back1 said
Its about drugs and mental health, not poverty. People on the street in LA are mentally unwell. I know. I lived in Santa Monica, now Venice. When I say mental health, I don't mean screaming and talking to themselves. But if you've ever had a conversation with them, they are suffering from paranoia and depression. Both important mental health issues.
Mental health and addiction are a big issue but doesn't reflect all homeless. I think when people picture homelessness they see the tents, the "walking zombies", and crack viles and dog chained to a shopping cart. But a significant segment of the homeless population is less visible. And believe it or not, many of them dowork, they are just underemployed - not by choice. Some of them are even in school. Some have a terminal or special case illness that makes them "unemployable". Others have legit developmental disorders or fell on hard times, bad luck and have no support system.

The spike in homelessness has to do mostly with people from that group; those living in their cars, in shelters, with family or strangers, etc. doing what they can to get ahead. Including those thugging it out on the street. Homelessness is a condition, not a character defect. And some of the homeless are literally in transition and are homeless temporarily.

Like everything else in life, context is important. And there is nuance in every situation. Which is one of the reasons why reducing the cause of homelessness to simply people being lazy or hooked on drugs, doesn't lead to any real understanding or real solutions. But it 100% leads to a stigma that everyone with that label, including those that are busting their a*ses working, going to school, have legitimate reasons, etc., have to carry.
+1   

4 days ago '18        #50
back1 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$452 | Props total: 1219 1219
 DominicanLou said
Mental health and addiction are a big issue but doesn't reflect all homeless. I think when people picture homelessness they see the tents, the "walking zombies", and crack viles and dog chained to a shopping cart. But a significant segment of the homeless population is less visible. And believe it or not, many of them dowork, they are just underemployed - not by choice. Some of them are even in school. Some have a terminal or special case illness that makes them "unemployable". Others have legit developmental disorders or fell on hard times, bad luck and have no support system.

The spike in homelessness has to do mostly with people from that group; those living in their cars, in shelters, with family or strangers, etc. doing what they can to get ahead. Including those thugging it out on the street. Homelessness is a condition, not a character defect. And some of the homeless are literally in transition and are homeless temporarily.

Like everything else in life, context is important. And there is nuance in every situation. Which is one of the reasons why reducing the cause of homelessness to simply people being lazy or hooked on drugs, doesn't lead to any real understanding or real solutions. But it 100% leads to a stigma that everyone with that label, including those that are busting their a*ses working, going to school, have legitimate reasons, etc., have to carry.
Props. All true.

People with the mental health Iím less worried about because theyíre in a problem that has a solution. We just gotta work through the solution. Not to minimize the difficulty of their situation.

Itís the people who are mentally unwell im stressed about Bc how do you fix that? People who want to be out on the street or donít want help or people where there is no curing them?
+1   

New replies show every 10 seconds
Home      

most viewed right now
+205online now  21
Image(s) inside Jarring Nature Photos
112 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  15
Fat Loss Whatever your Age/ Height/Weight