online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

‘The Color Purple’ Lost Warner Bros $40 Million

icon

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

5 months ago '17        #76
CJ Schwarz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x205 OP
Props total: 303426 303 K  Slaps total: 22825 22 K
 ishVicious said
They turned the movie into a musical— I was bamboozled. Don’t nobody wana watch Highschool musical black edition lol except black women.
It is a very successful Broadway Musical
+3   

5 months ago '05        #77
nupe1911 
Props total: 7992 7 K  Slaps total: 1194 1 K
 Proffesor X said
It was trash
I tried to watch it today...movie was horrible.

5 months ago '17        #78
StandUpFella09 
Props total: 19484 19 K  Slaps total: 2224 2 K
Good. Terrible idea. If you gonna redo movie, just do another version of it and name it something else. Remakes are trash these days! I'm glad they didn't remake Warriors

5 months ago '17        #79
PackerTrelli3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x34
Props total: 186439 186 K  Slaps total: 56906 56 K
There’s a difference between making a black movie, and making a black movie that blacks WANT to see.

A remake a movie like the color purple wasn’t needed. That movie was 10/10 and the whole essence and just everything in general about it was what made it a special movie. It’d be like remaking “The Imitation Of Life”

There are just some films you don’t touch because they are Relics!! Imagine finding a diary of someone from WW1 and deciding “hey let me get a pen a write over the words so it’s clearer”

It takes away what makes it special. Stop with these damn remakes

5 months ago '22        #80
zerogate  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 12312 12 K  Slaps total: 4727 4 K
 Crow42 said
Ya
That and a new reimagining of Roots
They're making another Roots? Jesus....

With the current political climate and the racial division going on right now that's literally the last thing we need to see. sh1t will just feed into white supremacists egos.
+2   

5 months ago '17        #81
CJ Schwarz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x205 OP
Props total: 303426 303 K  Slaps total: 22825 22 K
 zerogate said
They're making another Roots? Jesus....

With the current political climate and the racial division going on right now that's literally the last thing we need to see. sh1t will just feed into white supremacists egos.
They remade it a few years back
+1   

5 months ago '10        #82
Account001 
Props total: 11172 11 K  Slaps total: 2792 2 K
 flipHuxtable said
I’ll consider this a win and file it away under ‘reparations’.
Added to ignore haha

5 months ago '06        #83
KornerBoy 
Props total: 6970 6 K  Slaps total: 614 614
Shyt isn't a remake. This movie was based on the musical.

5 months ago '10        #84
Account001 
 Willy Boban said
Too many interracial relationships these days for films like this to be totally successful.

Plus you can't take the kids to see it. And whites probably would feel guilty just sitting in the theater being looked at.

So I'm surprised that someone approved the 100 million dollar budget to spend on making this sh1t.

30 million should have been just fine.

emoji
Added to ignore list

5 months ago '10        #85
Account001 
 The jinx said
Going woke = going broke
Added to ignore list haha

5 months ago '06        #86
Be Easy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 33152 33 K  Slaps total: 3737 3 K
 Murderers said
Taraji killed this movie... I feel like it was very selfish of her to do all that complaining in the middle of the promo run. The negative press of this movie overshadowed it which is a shame because Fantasia did her thing and she'll never get recognition for it because Taraji wanted to get on her soapbox.
they weren’t recouping that high a$s budget for a fu#king musical

she’ll be the scapegoat and blackballed for the next 3 to 5 years

5 months ago '21        #87
The jinx  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 25889 25 K  Slaps total: 12404 12 K
 Account001 said
Added to ignore list haha
Ty

5 months ago '06        #88
Johnny Tapwater 
Props total: 12406 12 K  Slaps total: 1600 1 K
Fantasia was fantastic.

The prison scene by Sofia was superb.

Movie was mid.

5 months ago '18        #89
TheyGotKanye 
Props total: 5010 5 K  Slaps total: 1673 1 K
 flipHuxtable said
I’ll consider this a win and file it away under ‘reparations’.
Stop using reparations loosely to the point you either being sarcastic or serious right now.

5 months ago '11        #90
megalomaniacal 
Props total: 23330 23 K  Slaps total: 3226 3 K
n1ggas not lining up for trash a$s slave movies no more.

fu#k that we waiting for jordan peele

5 months ago '12        #91
placeboefx 
Props total: 2742 2 K  Slaps total: 176 176
 dakidjahsiah said
black trauma p0rn movies should be boycotted

enough of this sh1t

I wanna see $100 mill for a nat turner film, and I want a scene of him smashing and crushing white babies, which he did ..

Hollywood obsessed with slavery, let's be obsessed then. talk about everything
https://www.history.com/news/10-things-you-may-not-know-about-nat-turners-rebellion

And I wholeheartedly agree

5 months ago '11        #92
Tony Franks  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 82972 82 K  Slaps total: 11371 11 K
 Murderers said
Taraji killed this movie... I feel like it was very selfish of her to do all that complaining in the middle of the promo run. The negative press of this movie overshadowed it which is a shame because Fantasia did her thing and she'll never get recognition for it because Taraji wanted to get on her soapbox.
i dunno. I agree that what she did was fu#king crazy. She shoulda either did this much sooner, or after the movie left theaters, not while you are promoting the film.

But its a stretch for me to believe Teraji changed the minds of the millions of people who supposedly wanted to see this filth. Id think she actually made some people wanna see the film because of all the viral notoriety it got.

But now i recall that she isnt the only person sh1tting on Oprah these days. And maybe folks love and believe in Teraji more than Big O these days.
+1   

5 months ago '22        #93
Murderers  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x51
Props total: 128261 128 K  Slaps total: 33182 33 K
 Tony Franks said
i dunno. I agree that what she did was fu#king crazy. She shoulda either did this much sooner, or after the movie left theaters, not while you are promoting the film.

But its a stretch for me to believe Teraji changed the minds of the millions of people who supposedly wanted to see this filth. Id think she actually made some people wanna see the film because of all the viral notoriety it got.

But now i recall that she isnt the only person sh1tting on Oprah these days. And maybe folks love and believe in Teraji more than Big O these days.
Idk... A good portion of the black social media sphere stated how they wouldn't watch after this came out, even those who had originally planned on seeing it. If y'all remember, the film's first day box office numbers were great and word of mouth would've taken it even further but the negative press killed it.
+1   

5 months ago '15        #94
drose1985 
Props total: 62426 62 K  Slaps total: 5701 5 K
 Tony Franks said

Gotta focus on target audience. Straight to app release keeps cost down can spend more on promotion. Use first time actors create a hit within targeted demographic work yourself out. Tyler perry just released mea culpa over the weekend and it did pretty good on Netflix. Reap benefits on backend.

5 months ago '15        #95
drose1985 
Props total: 62426 62 K  Slaps total: 5701 5 K
 Murderers said
Idk... A good portion of the black social media sphere stated how they wouldn't watch after this came out, even those who had originally planned on seeing it. If y'all remember, the film's first day box office numbers were great and word of mouth would've taken it even further but the negative press killed it.
That's why app release made more sense get that first day money build over time. Gotta be a scary movie to do numbers at theaters or action movie with a listers. Apps better can focus on audience more
+1   

5 months ago '06        #96
itzadirtyworld 
Props total: 10778 10 K  Slaps total: 3199 3 K
 rifair said
It's a catch 22 because we don't want to support the works of an anti black male weirdo feminist but also Hollywood says if we don't show up and support a film they'll never throw that type of money at anything black again
Good

"Black people" only exist inside the corporation you know as the United States whose 400 year contract is up , which means "Black people" don't even exist.

Learn about MesoAmerica

5 months ago '13        #97
rifair 
Props total: 16635 16 K  Slaps total: 3819 3 K
 itzadirtyworld said
Good

"Black people" only exist inside the corporation you know as the United States whose 400 year contract is up , which means "Black people" don't even exist.

Learn about MesoAmerica

No

5 months ago '16        #98
Lamel2g 
Props total: 20459 20 K  Slaps total: 2048 2 K
 stogz said
It's they own fault. I don't know how many times I've said it, but it's really fkn simple.

They spend decades and decades teaching us certain behaviors on how to take in entertainment. TV is appointment viewing, and you have o be on your couch at the same time every week if you want to watch the show. Summers are for re-runs. Movies, you go to the cinema/theatre. You pay a premium for it. We learned those behaviors and adhered and everyone was fine with it.

Then THEY made the choice to do streaming. THEY made the choice to charge us less for more. THEY made the choice to overload us with choices. THEY made the choice to drop an entire season of tv on one day. THEY made the choice to show us that we can just watch new movie releases at home on small screens. THEY are the reason there is no more appointment viewing. THEY are the reason why people cancel cable. THEY are the reason people don't go to the movies every week to pay a premium anymore when we have a cheap buffet at home.

In a little over a decade, they managed to un-train the decades of behaviors they initially taught us. They should've known that The Color Purple is a netflix caliber project. We only go to the movies now for big budget blockbusters with huge mainstream, household names attached. You can also get us to go by advertising Disney and other animated flix to our kids. Outside of that, they've shown us that everything else is not worth a trip and a $20 ticket and expensive concessions. That's what they taught us.... that's what we've learned

+1   

5 months ago '06        #99
"SS"  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 33988 33 K  Slaps total: 2161 2 K
I don't know if it was promoted as a musical or not, i really don't remember much promo at all leading up to opening day, but once everyone went that first night and found out it was a musical and that info hit social media it was over. I saw it Christmas night only because a chick asked me way back in the summer time to go with her for the premiere. I had really forgot all about it, but she called a few days before to ask if we were still going. It was ok, and i mean just ok. I could have done without the random singing breaks...wouldn't watch it again tho

Top 10 most slapped recently  5 months ago '04        #100
erickonasis  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 114465 114 K  Slaps total: 15557 15 K
 OCT DION said
Who the hell watched the original Color Purple movie and said "I wanna watch this depressing a$s sh1t in HD"?

They gonna make Precious 2 next?
yea i never really liked the original
emoji

this movie >>>>> all black movies from near that era

+3   

say something...

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props+9113
Youtuber Exposes All The Women He Smashed After Interviewing Them… Showing How..
210 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Could you marry an adult star ??
216 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
props+358
Video inside 4 am at Copacabana Beach, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
45 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Debunking Maga Lies About Kamala Harris and Marijuana
67 comments