These jobs aren't loyal?

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section guap

2 months ago '04        #1
4758 page views
17 comments

Kadroan 
space
space
Props total: 16559 16 K  Slaps total: 3362 3 K
These jobs aren't loyal?

So I know someone who is pretty successful who lives by "these jobs aren't loyal". She thrives to chase titles and doesn't get too comfortable at her work place so it's no surprise to see her jump from one legit company to another with a better job title.

Basically what I got out of it from her, always stay looking for a job even when you got a job because these jobs will replace you quick.

I know I mentioned in a past thread I thought about leaving. But now I've embraced being patient and try to get better at my job. Typically the higher ups at my job just stayed patient and eventually they moved on. My job's real big on promoting from within.

My alma mater has networking events, resume reviews, etc. I thought about participating in that. I've done it in the past when I was looking for a job. Would it be a good idea to entertain that?
+6   

best
worst
17 comments

2 months ago '16        #2
BobbiHeadRagTop  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 46249 46 K  Slaps total: 2653 2 K
She’s absolutely correct. One of my old bosses told me “everybody is expendable” and I keep that in my head not with just jobs but life in general
+18   

1 month ago '19        #3
jordanair45 
space
space
Props total: 3212 3 K  Slaps total: 744 744
I did this in a span of 2 years and I increased my salary A LOT.

I'm with her 100%, chase titles, don't be loyal, make that $$$
+13   

1 month ago '17        #4
space
space
space
Props total: 6544 6 K  Slaps total: 2164 2 K
She needs a career.
+3   

1 month ago '10        #5
ColeWorld  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 6377 6 K  Slaps total: 829 829
Unless you’re in a great company where you know you can move up or know people up above, you damn near should always keep that resume fresh and start applying elsewhere. Can’t be complacent. At the very least continue to build skills to make more money.
+14   

1 month ago '10        #6
space
space
Unless youíre in a great company where you know you can move up or know people up above, you damn near should always keep that resume fresh and start applying elsewhere. Canít be complacent. At the very least continue to build skills to make more money.
+3   

1 month ago '04        #7
Kadroan  OP
space
space
 ColeWorld said
Unless youíre in a great company where you know you can move up or know people up above, you damn near should always keep that resume fresh and start applying elsewhere. Canít be complacent. At the very least continue to build skills to make more money.
Yeah I believe I'm a part of a great company but it's not like I'm making great money but I am making the best money I've ever made. I'll definitely upgrade the resume and Linkedin etc. I'm a college grad making 34k age 30. A career counselor advised me I should be making atleast 50k. I know folks at my job usually get a promotion within a year or two. Only thing I was kind of hesistant about was my job history. I haven't had a job outside of Uber longer than 7 months. One of my goals initally was to do a year but the opp to make more money is very intriguing.
+3   

1 month ago '04        #8
Fresh Beats 
space
space
Props total: 10036 10 K  Slaps total: 434 434
 Kadroan said
Yeah I believe I'm a part of a great company but it's not like I'm making great money but I am making the best money I've ever made. I'll definitely upgrade the resume and Linkedin etc. I'm a college grad making 34k age 30. A career counselor advised me I should be making atleast 50k. I know folks at my job usually get a promotion within a year or two. Only thing I was kind of hesistant about was my job history. I haven't had a job outside of Uber longer than 7 months. One of my goals initally was to do a year but the opp to make more money is very intriguing.
It looks bad if you job hopped that much (7 months or less). I agree with their logic but what works for some people won’t necessarily work for you. If they are getting certifications, have higher education, and know people, it’s a lot easier to hop from one company to another. If you’re going from entry level to another entry level job, it’s hard to expect a 10-15k raise each time. Being underpaid is something you can discuss with your supervisor.
+6   

1 month ago '15        #9
Tully Blanchard 
space
space
Props total: 82832 82 K  Slaps total: 4454 4 K
Never hurts to talk to another mfer about moving up
+6   

1 month ago '04        #10
jsmooth-117 
space
space
space
Props total: 26341 26 K  Slaps total: 2959 2 K
There are very few companies out there where its worth "sticking it out" and trying to move up. Costco is one of those companies that come to mind.

The other 98% of companies out there will replace anyone for any reason. The days of sticking with one company for your entire career are long over.
+8   

1 month ago '04        #11
Kadroan  OP
space
space
 Fresh Beats said
It looks bad if you job hopped that much (7 months or less). I agree with their logic but what works for some people won’t necessarily work for you. If they are getting certifications, have higher education, and know people, it’s a lot easier to hop from one company to another. If you’re going from entry level to another entry level job, it’s hard to expect a 10-15k raise each time. Being underpaid is something you can discuss with your supervisor.
Yeah true. I know there's room for on my top to improve my performance but yeah maybe there's some job out there pays more out there that would make use of my skillset. Yeah I definitely been advised not to make lateral moves. 10k-15k raise would be lovely. I believe I'm set for a raise this year. I know I get a bonus next month.

Last edited by Kadroan; 01-04-2020 at 07:04 PM..
+1   

1 month ago '04        #12
Kadroan  OP
space
space
 jsmooth-117 said
There are very few companies out there where its worth "sticking it out" and trying to move up. Costco is one of those companies that come to mind.

The other 98% of companies out there will replace anyone for any reason. The days of sticking with one company for your entire career are long over.
True.

I believe it. I believe I read a book by the guy that wrote Rich Dad Poor Dad talked about that.

2 weeks ago '14        #13
cominup7 
space
space
Props total: 3717 3 K  Slaps total: 297 297
Know your worth
Put that resume out there and go on interviews even when you aren't actively looking for a job

I worked at my last company for 5yrs but did this last year, and going thru the intvw process and hearing the starting salaries I realized I was wayyy underpaid. These were similar jobs to mine, similar duties, similar background requirements....but the ones I intvwd for paid 10, 20 sometimes 30K more than what i was making at the time. Now I've been at my new job 6months and I'm already getting my phone intvws in for my next, higher paying position

Unless you REALLY love your job, company loyalty is dead...it's all about maxxing your earning potential and finding companies who are willing to pay you for the skills you bring to the table

Last edited by cominup7; 02-04-2020 at 03:49 PM..
+5   

5 days ago '10        #14
space
space
 cominup7 said
Know your worth
Put that resume out there and go on interviews even when you aren't actively looking for a job

I worked at my last company for 5yrs but did this last year, and going thru the intvw process and hearing the starting salaries I realized I was wayyy underpaid. These were similar jobs to mine, similar duties, similar background requirements....but the ones I intvwd for paid 10, 20 sometimes 30K more than what i was making at the time. Now I've been at my new job 6months and I'm already getting my phone intvws in for my next, higher paying position

Unless you REALLY love your job, company loyalty is dead...it's all about maxxing your earning potential and finding companies who are willing to pay you for the skills you bring to the table
Hell yeah.

What industry are you in?
+2   

Top 10 most propped recently  4 days ago '20        #15
Born Bad 
space
space
Props total: 1191 1 K  Slaps total: 89 89
Its business not personal, so you gotta think about your situation. I had 7 w-2's in one year
+1   

4 days ago '14        #16
cominup7 
space
space
Props total: 3717 3 K  Slaps total: 297 297
 ColeWorld said
Hell yeah.

What industry are you in?
I guess its what you call edutech...online learning, instructional design, setting up classes, user support, etc

Was working that one job (at a university) for 5 years but looking back, they gave me wild flexibility that I needed during those yrs that I might not have gotten at a diff company. It was a decent tradeoff for a while w/the lower pay but more flexibility, but it got to a point where I really just needed more income, was getting stretched too thin every month paying bills and not saving
+1   

3 days ago '09        #17
mtva24 
space
space
Props total: 2231 2 K  Slaps total: 585 585
Move if you have to. My current and last job were at small businesses where the next level needs to die or retire. My resume stays fresh.

I have a friend who just hit his five years at a local fortune 500, so I don't blame him for staying put because there is plenty of opportunities to move within.
+1   

1 day ago '20        #18
HolyHomoSteve 
space
space
Props total: 371 371  Slaps total: 200 200
 Kadroan said
You should be making way more. You gotta learn how to ďpadĒ your resume. If I worked at a job from Jan-June and was laid off from June-Dec you just put you worked at the job from Jan-Dec. employers dont want to see gaps on your resume or alot of jobs.

Another example is dont put every job you worked on there, only the ones that make you look good. If you were on hard times and had to work at a gas station for a couple months youre better off just leaving it off your resume.

The reason you can get away with it is high turnover. If you worked at Autozone as an a*sistant manager 3 years ago for 8 months but lie on your resume and say a year and a half nobody will ever find out for one simple reason. Nobody you worked with at the proverbial autozone 3 years ago probably still works there so there will be no one around to say otherwise. Obviously if you worked for a small business and the same manager or owner has been there you dont wanna exaggerate about a place like that, but for the most part retail has so much turnover you can put whatever the fu*k you want on your resume N get away with it
+1   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+18online now  38
One regret Lebron will have in his career...
86 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+20online now  32
Image(s) inside Damon Dash Sues Rachel Roy for Fraud
67 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  31
Diddy lied to biggie mom after his death