Oh What a Time.......To be hustler (IT Field)

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x2   |  0 bx goons and 2 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section guap

2 months ago '06        #51
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
Props total: 3178 3 K  Slaps total: 219 219
 barrebeast said
wow, i really appreciate this post... i've been looking for a change and was about to do some free digital marketing courses to transition.

after some self study what kind of package do i need to create in order to present to potential employers? and how do I know i've reached a level where I'm work ready... I've noticed that IT and tech is a lifelong learning process, for those who're deeply into it.

There are several sites that allow you to create and manipulate databases. In this particular segment that could be your portfolio.

There are sites like SOLOLEARN.COM and HACKERRANK.COM that have tests, exercises and community forums.

Once you can pass the tests/quizzes I would say you're ready to interview (More than one site to ensure you're not memorizing the info) then with a nice portfolio you can present to clients.

This is a "show what you know" industry and your interview will include IT questions.

You dont have to store this info in your head, its free and readily available your job is just to know what tools you have and how/when tot use them
+6   

2 months ago '06        #52
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 Proofbreal said
no wonder stuff gets hacked very easily these days because we have people in it for the money instead of being genuine about the field they love lol.
Dont know if anyone told you but....THIS IS AMERICA. get you some money
+2   

2 months ago '06        #53
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 POPQUiZ said
Tackled my MySQL this year through a Udemy course, wrapping up AWS Solutions Architect will sit for the test in January
Let me know how that AWS goes once hired i may move to study that next. That architect is some serious bread
+2   

2 months ago '06        #54
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 YoungHope said
This.... this is why....
I keep getting in this site
Cant say nobody told you bro.....

Lets eat

2 months ago '18        #55
Mr4 
space
space
space
Props total: 286 286  Slaps total: 61 61
Animal Scientist lmfao.....n*gga, you work at the butchers?

2 months ago '12        #56
ZlatanDrogba  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 4335 4 K  Slaps total: 449 449
Is it worth it for people that live in Europe?

Great thread and topic
+2   

2 months ago '14        #57
rashadd 
space
space
Props total: 9716 9 K  Slaps total: 626 626
 detroitdipset said
This is your lane bro. Can you devote 2 hrs of focus 5 days a week and maybe $100 a month.. Its that easy!

Im trappin from my kitchen table nightly!
So my question would be... Is it possible to make decent pay from home or will you eventually have to work for a company?

+3   

2 months ago '06        #58
xastey 
space
space
Props total: 4663 4 K  Slaps total: 441 441
 Lord Funkington said
What kind of education do you have?

What was your career path to your current position?

What are you trying to get into???

Education, basic Bachelor in CIS.

Path, I started off using those bidding websites back in college . From there I got into the adult work doing video players with flash for tube and a few adult sites. That was my mom mainstream stuff. After a couple of years I moved to more mainstream, again mostly from road of mouth and bidding sites.

After a while I ended up just doing more contract work with a skill in system architecture. Basically I would be presented with a project and would detail and plan out the whole system, front end, backend, devops, scaling(AWS). In early cases I would build the whole system, they would get funding from investors and I would then move on to next client.

Did that for a while then linked up with a guy for a business, we ended up getting funding from Mark Cuban and got to present to Coke about our vending machine product, sadly that didn't last.

Went back to consulting and now I'm Director of Engineering basically due to me not wanting to move to NYC other wise I would have been the CTO lol, it's not worth it for me. I've been remote this whole time and been able to make moves and still have a relaxing lifestyle.

Not a lot of info here other then I sorta lucked out early. Got to work with a SC Valley company while I was in college that set me up pretty good.

I still do small contracting jobs just because I like coding while still holding down my main job.

I would say school education is pointless really, the industry moves so fast that you will be doing a lot more research trying to keep up. If you do want to get some schooling I would look for any Critical thinking/logic type classes. Those helped me the most (had a critical thinking class in highschool).

From that there is Sooooo much free material and also cheap material out there it's insane.

Last edited by xastey; 12-08-2019 at 07:57 AM..
+7   

2 months ago '06        #59
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 rashadd said
So my question would be... Is it possible to make decent pay from home or will you eventually have to work for a company?

I would honestly advise at least working one job on site so you now the scope of the work and a feel for the company after that you should have enough info to finesse your way through working from home, but that option is always available if you can get it
+3   

2 months ago '06        #60
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 Mr4 said
Animal Scientist lmfao.....n*gga, you work at the butchers?
nah thats only when I'm servin ya moms meat.

I'm a product developer for the largest privately owned pet food manufacturer in the world
+9   

2 months ago '06        #61
xastey 
space
space
Props total: 4663 4 K  Slaps total: 441 441
 rashadd said

YES, my whole career has been remote. I now work for a company but it's still a 1099 and not W2 so still independent just with a commitment and title lol.

I still make my hours within reason, but it you do only consultant/contract work then yeah you can completely make a great living working by yourself and remote

NOW this sh*t isn't easy, it does take discipline because it's so easy to just slack when you don't have anyone saying you have to work at a normal time. But once you get that managed it's easier work. The other thing is if only do short projects then you will have to keep looking for gigs. That sh*t was stressful at times and that's the reason why I just ended up doing 2 long term contracts and gave up always looking for new projects. Made life so much easier

For work when I started I used a lot of bidding sites. Then word of mouth. Go to a lot of local meetup.com events if you have any.

Agree with other dude.. may be good to work one job on spot just to get the structure and see how it works then you can venture out. Depends on the person and how driven and structure that person is.
+2   

2 months ago '06        #62
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 ZlatanDrogba said
Is it worth it for people that live in Europe?

Great thread and topic
Yes!

Companies area out sourcing this as we speak. The internet is the equalizer and evens the playing field. You guys have computer systems there too!
+2   

2 months ago '17        #63
Mperfection 
space
space
Props total: 5418 5 K  Slaps total: 454 454
 detroitdipset said
I have been studying for the past few months to change my career to a completely different sector (Animal Scientist).

I am not very techy at all (I have a iphone 8 and before that I still a entry level boost)

I am a very hands on visionary, so the typical attention to detail and small scale details of menial jobs dont do it for me especially if its not in my field.

I say all this to say I'm the least likely person to have natural talent in "coding" as many a*sume.

But i see it like a video game back in the 90s. We didn't have the internet or cheat codes we had to keep losing until we figured out how the game worked and eventually what it took to win.

Same here and the best part is thanks to the internet, there arent any gatekeepers. You dont need a certain GPA, You DONT need to have huge amounts of money, You don't even need to dedicate 4 yrs of your life.

There are people in India who don't speak english yet are learning these skills via youtube and competing for 100K+ jobs here.

This is a no cert needed segment of IT, that can be entered by skill and of course knowing someone.

I chose Database Development but there are several languages/segments out there. Many of them have 100% free material on youtube.

We have all figured out that most youtubers use youtube as a billboard for a product they want to sell you. From what ive seen you can get enough material for close to nothing to get started in the field you would like..

1-2 hours a day could change your life especially if you don't have a degree or n demand skill.
Here are some resources for those interested.

Free Sql training course:

Free Software:

Free database:

Paid courses with references:

Over abundance of jobs available usually $30/hr+ entry:

I will be updating the thread as I study as a place holder feel free to ask any questions or even help a brotha out. LETS GET THIS CASH Y'LL
sh*t I make 53 an hour. No degree. Got my A+ and Network+ to start. Took an entry level tech support gig. Worked it five years and stayed learning and picking up skills the whole time. Left there and after looking for about 6 months landed a support engineer gig at a major. n*gga dont sleep on tech. sh*t has pulled me out of poverty.

If any of you n*ggas serious, im always seeious about getting more of us in the game.
+19   

2 months ago '17        #64
Mperfection 
space
space
 Honzou said
I’m in a different section of IT.

I got my A+ and I’m about to take my Network + cert. test in the beginning of the year.
I’d like to learn more and get my feet wet in other fields.

I know in the IT career questions reddit I’ve seen many people who are sysadmins and are making bank.

As one not too familiar with coding how is SQL compared to other languages like Python and HTML?
Sql is a bit in the middle. Its got some functions in it, so theres your python. But its made of a bunch of clauses, reminds me of html in that respect.

Like all things its easy to get your toes in difficult to master. Select statements are simple, now take some abstract request and build a schema, make some views, and play around with joins. Its not super hard to pick up, but its a reason there are DBA professionals.

I got in the game the same way, but i been trying to go dev. sh*t now im back in support engineer and the pay is gravy, but i still want to get to the dev side.
+2   

2 months ago '06        #65
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 Mperfection said
sh*t I make 53 an hour. No degree. Got my A+ and Network+ to start. Took an entry level tech support gig. Worked it five years and stayed learning and picking up skills the whole time. Left there and after looking for about 6 months landed a support engineer gig at a major. n*gga dont sleep on tech. sh*t has pulled me out of poverty.

If any of you n*ggas serious, im always seeious about getting more of us in the game.
Im very serious bro and in the same mind state i plan to always keep picking up skills, I see there is real cash value here and i need it all!..

Any tips suggestions always welcomed
+1   

2 months ago '14        #66
rashadd 
space
space
Props total: 9716 9 K  Slaps total: 626 626
 detroitdipset said
I would honestly advise at least working one job on site so you now the scope of the work and a feel for the company after that you should have enough info to finesse your way through working from home, but that option is always available if you can get it
 xastey said
YES, my whole career has been remote. I now work for a company but it's still a 1099 and not W2 so still independent just with a commitment and title lol.

I still make my hours within reason, but it you do only consultant/contract work then yeah you can completely make a great living working by yourself and remote

NOW this sh*t isn't easy, it does take discipline because it's so easy to just slack when you don't have anyone saying you have to work at a normal time. But once you get that managed it's easier work. The other thing is if only do short projects then you will have to keep looking for gigs. That sh*t was stressful at times and that's the reason why I just ended up doing 2 long term contracts and gave up always looking for new projects. Made life so much easier

For work when I started I used a lot of bidding sites. Then word of mouth. Go to a lot of local meetup.com events if you have any.

Agree with other dude.. may be good to work one job on spot just to get the structure and see how it works then you can venture out. Depends on the person and how driven and structure that person is.
Thanks for info Guys, I think I will invest my entire January into this to see is it something I would be interested in.

In response to that in which I highlighted... Procrastination, my biggest enemy since grade school. But mostly from lack of interest than anything

+8   

2 months ago '06        #67
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 rashadd said
Thanks for info Guys, I think I will invest my entire January into this to see is it something I would be interested in.

In response to that in which I highlighted... Procrastination, my biggest enemy since grade school. But mostly from lack of interest than anything

Same on the procrastination front, but with this the moment i started to realize I was catching on it became very interesting and i look forward to it.

And as an adult male in america, Im sure taking a few hours a day to make 1000s more will make it very interesting.

Put yourself in the same mind state as someone going for a vocation or CDL. Put your head down and grind it out for now then be set with lil studying here and there
+3   

2 months ago '18        #68
Blaffy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 68673 68 K  Slaps total: 6366 6 K
Maybe I should learn this
Learning a new skill won't hurt, always help

But sh*t I need a laptop, I don't have any PC, laptop/notebook
+4   

2 months ago '06        #69
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 Blaffy said
Maybe I should learn this
Learning a new skill won't hurt, always help

But sh*t I need a laptop, I don't have any PC, laptop/notebook
I copped a refurbished dell from fb marketplace for $120

Nothing special but will do what you need.

Its worth it man, they cant takke these skills away from you.... Just imagine all the GIFs you can post from your desk at work while make $40+ a hr
+5   

2 months ago '18        #70
Blaffy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 68673 68 K  Slaps total: 6366 6 K
 detroitdipset said
I copped a refurbished dell from fb marketplace for $120

Nothing special but will do what you need.

Its worth it man, they cant takke these skills away from you.... Just imagine all the GIFs you can post from your desk at work while make $40+ a hr
What's that
+1   

2 months ago '17        #71
Mperfection 
space
space
 detroitdipset said
Im very serious bro and in the same mind state i plan to always keep picking up skills, I see there is real cash value here and i need it all!..

Any tips suggestions always welcomed
Its a large field, its important to develop a wide shallow body of knowledge until you find the area that really grabs you. Learn the major concepts. If you getting the A+ definitely get a good grasp on the underlying parts of the PC, and what the concepts are. Network+, learn the osi model and tcp ip. Also remember that tech is a wide field. Its not really one size fits all. This is where a variable can come in play career wise. One tech job can be vastly different from another and as a result vastly impact your skill set. That is something to keep in mind and why i suggest developing a wide shallow wealth of knowledge. Once you start working you will end up developing skills in whatever area you work with daily automatically. As you learn more youll identify what areas really call to you and you can go from there.
+4   

2 months ago '05        #72
jsilerio 
space
space
Props total: 37378 37 K  Slaps total: 2234 2 K
 detroitdipset said
Same on the procrastination front, but with this the moment i started to realize I was catching on it became very interesting and i look forward to it.

And as an adult male in america, Im sure taking a few hours a day to make 1000s more will make it very interesting.

Put yourself in the same mind state as someone going for a vocation or CDL. Put your head down and grind it out for now then be set with lil studying here and there
I did this when I got my cdl. Making good money but I need to use my mind more as I get older. Iíll be checking this thread and making moves in the future most definitely.
+3   

2 months ago '06        #73
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 Blaffy said
What's that
Facebook marketplace... pretty much face book version of craigslst but if you're not on fb craiglist or amazon/newegg has similar pricing
+4   

2 months ago '06        #74
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 Mperfection said
Its a large field, its important to develop a wide shallow body of knowledge until you find the area that really grabs you. Learn the major concepts. If you getting the A+ definitely get a good grasp on the underlying parts of the PC, and what the concepts are. Network+, learn the osi model and tcp ip. Also remember that tech is a wide field. Its not really one size fits all. This is where a variable can come in play career wise. One tech job can be vastly different from another and as a result vastly impact your skill set. That is something to keep in mind and why i suggest developing a wide shallow wealth of knowledge. Once you start working you will end up developing skills in whatever area you work with daily automatically. As you learn more youll identify what areas really call to you and you can go from there.
bet.
I'm currently done with SQL now working on SSIS,SSRS. These should round out the "Business intelligence" "DATABASE DEVELOPMENT" at least enough to get a job.

From there i plan to continuously spread out.

Im good on A+ and help desk stuff though
+3   

2 months ago '17        #75
Mperfection 
space
space
 detroitdipset said
bet.
I'm currently done with SQL now working on SSIS,SSRS. These should round out the "Business intelligence" "DATABASE DEVELOPMENT" at least enough to get a job.

From there i plan to continuously spread out.

Im good on A+ and help desk stuff though
Good stuff. Just knowing what a database is means you a leg up on a lot of people. Are you considering going in to Database Admin? Whats your ideal end game?
+2   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+18online now  33
One regret Lebron will have in his career...
86 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  30
Diddy lied to biggie mom after his death
76 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+20online now  29
Image(s) inside Damon Dash Sues Rachel Roy for Fraud