Oh What a Time.......To be hustler (IT Field)

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x2   |  0 bx goons and 2 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section guap

2 months ago '09        #26
Zaosyn 
space
space
Props total: 9118 9 K  Slaps total: 1932 1 K
I always wanted to try and get into IT. I don't think the money starting off is as good as web development but I hear it's a lot more chill too. I doubt I'll ever work in IT but I wouldn't mind studying for a basic cert like A+ just to learn more about basic IT to make my daily life easier. I do a lot of basic IT around the house and for friends and family and I could see it being useful
+5   

2 months ago '19        #27
AnuthaOne 
space
space
space
Props total: 1766 1 K  Slaps total: 1132 1 K
 detroitdipset said
Yea its not enough people in america to fill the voids.

Black americans in specific are in high demand with the rise of company "culture"
they dont give a fu*k if the workers are american or not

4000 a week for a worker in north america
vs
98 dollars a week for a worker in india
+1   

2 months ago '19        #28
AnuthaOne 
space
space
space
Props total: 1766 1 K  Slaps total: 1132 1 K
 Zaosyn said
I've written a lot about this before so I don't wanna keep writing big walls of text you can read about my story (and some advice I give) in this thread on the first page about coding

But I have a high school education from KENTUCKY, never went to college and I have a violent offense still on my record (can't get that bi*ch expunged until the end of 2020). I got denied a fu*king $9 an hour nursing home job because of it. It made me feel low as sh*t. Anyways with all that said I'm making almost $60k a year MY FIRST YEAR doing web development. I started off as a paid intern then got a $50k offer then gotten little promotions throughout this year and now I'm at $57k. I'll be making $60k+ next year at my job.

The tech industry (especially coding and IT) is the way out for people who never went to college (though having a degree can help but it's NOT needed at all). The tech industry is more about what you can do. You also don't have to know how to code to get in. If you are more of a sells type person, customer service oriented and manager type you can look into becoming a project manager.
brutal
havent worked legal since 2007
minimum wage here is now 15 dollars an hour i believe
last time i worked minimum wage was 8 dollars
+2   

2 months ago '10        #29
ColeWorld  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 6377 6 K  Slaps total: 829 829
I appreciate this thread man. I’m 27 looking to make some changes and gain some skills and I’ve been thinking about getting in the SQL/data game or digital marketing which also revolves around data.
+9   

2 months ago '14        #30
southside playa 
space
space
Props total: 414 414  Slaps total: 71 71
Good lookin on the info n links. Researching it now.
+1   

2 months ago '17        #31
Chrispy 
space
space
Props total: 1757 1 K  Slaps total: 326 326
Facts. Im studying mysql and javascript.
+2   

2 months ago '04        #32
barrebeast 
space
space
Props total: 58 58  Slaps total: 23 23
wow, i really appreciate this post... i've been looking for a change and was about to do some free digital marketing courses to transition.

after some self study what kind of package do i need to create in order to present to potential employers? and how do I know i've reached a level where I'm work ready... I've noticed that IT and tech is a lifelong learning process, for those who're deeply into it.
+3   

2 months ago '16        #33
NEWYORKTlMES  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 13584 13 K  Slaps total: 2846 2 K
 King Tyr said
Some topics we'll cover:

1. Machine Learning

2. Data Structures & Algorithms

3. Videogame development

4. Linux , Python, C/C++, etc.

5. Devops/Full Stack/Cloud Computing

6. Math/Physics

7. Electronic Engineering

7 certs 7 figures gang let's get it
Pm me that info bro
+3   

2 months ago '17        #34
VicDamone 
space
space
space
Props total: 59 59  Slaps total: 3 3
 detroitdipset said
Its very simple and me not being into coding/hacking/tech stuff it was a good transition for confidence level. Its very doable dog trust me.

I work full time, have 2 small kids and run a small business and still make it work.

Brother I salute you. I have 2 small kids myself. I need to discipline and push myself for my family.
+6   

2 months ago '18        #35
Loknows 
space
space
space
Props total: 811 811  Slaps total: 51 51
There's an app called SoloLearn. It's free
+5   

2 months ago '05        #36
Proofbreal 
space
space
Props total: 859 859  Slaps total: 542 542
no wonder stuff gets hacked very easily these days because we have people in it for the money instead of being genuine about the field they love lol.

2 months ago '09        #37
Zaosyn 
space
space
Props total: 9118 9 K  Slaps total: 1932 1 K
 barrebeast said
wow, i really appreciate this post... i've been looking for a change and was about to do some free digital marketing courses to transition.

after some self study what kind of package do i need to create in order to present to potential employers? and how do I know i've reached a level where I'm work ready... I've noticed that IT and tech is a lifelong learning process, for those who're deeply into it.
It depends on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to go into IT I would say you probably need to have a basic IT certification like CCNA, A+ (you can buy and take the test online and if you pass you get the cert). Employers are gonna want to know you have at least a basic certification in IT so you know your stuff.

If you're doing web development like me you're gonna need to build a portfolio of a few projects. Employers are gonna wanna see your work.

On a personal level employers are gonna want to see passion, willingness to learn, having the ability to self-teach yourself (this kinda falls into passion), and being a good culture fit for the company. Employers know they are not gonna make any money from an intern or junior hire but it's the things I listed above that make them feel safe investing in you so that you will eventually become a profitable hire for them.

Yes there's continued education. As technology advances you're gonna have to learn how to work with and troubleshoot new things in IT and as the web progresses you're gonna have to learn new methods, tools and technologies but this is no different from any other career. A doctor has to continue their education too. BUT the hardest part is learning what you need to learn in the beginning. Once you get a solid foundation down and you learn how to learn (if that makes sense) you will pick up these new technologies easy as time goes on

Last edited by Zaosyn; 12-07-2019 at 11:48 PM..
+10   

2 months ago '18        #38
Neg Mwen 
space
space
space
Props total: 7592 7 K  Slaps total: 549 549
 Zaosyn said
I've written a lot about this before so I don't wanna keep writing big walls of text you can read about my story (and some advice I give) in this thread on the first page about coding

But I have a high school education from KENTUCKY, never went to college and I have a violent offense still on my record (can't get that bi*ch expunged until the end of 2020). I got denied a fu*king $9 an hour nursing home job because of it. It made me feel low as sh*t. Anyways with all that said I'm making almost $60k a year MY FIRST YEAR doing web development. I started off as a paid intern then got a $50k offer then gotten little promotions throughout this year and now I'm at $57k. I'll be making $60k+ next year at my job.

What I love most is I have the ability to work remote. My company lets us work from home 3 days a week and after a few years, I can apply to work remotely permanently. That means moving somewhere cheap like back to Kentucky with a $60k+ salary. That's like having a 100k+ salary in Chicago. I'll beable to buy real estate or do way more with my money than I can now living in a big city (I live in Chicago)

The tech industry (especially coding and IT) is the way out for people who never went to college (though having a degree can help but it's NOT needed at all). The tech industry is more about what you can do. You also don't have to know how to code to get in. If you are more of a sells type person, customer service oriented and manager type you can look into becoming a project manager.
Love reading stories like these
+4   

2 months ago '08        #39
Kewop Decam 
space
space
space
Props total: 20784 20 K  Slaps total: 1877 1 K
 King Tyr said
Tag any people you know w/ experience in the STEM biz btw.
@ @ @ @
You know I got videogame dev under wraps AND I know 3D PRinting. I actually just opened a new business where I sell flower pots I design and 3D print out.

Peep it -

I'll make a thread about it at some point.

Nice thread. I need to get Slack and join the crew. I've never used Slack before
+12   

2 months ago '15        #40
POPQUiZ  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 6374 6 K  Slaps total: 1064 1 K
Tackled my MySQL this year through a Udemy course, wrapping up AWS Solutions Architect will sit for the test in January
+6   

2 months ago '04        #41
Maroon_Tiger 
space
space
Props total: 9289 9 K  Slaps total: 2377 2 K
 detroitdipset said
Nice, you working with databases now?
Since 2008... oracle, teradata, redshift, a little sql server...

Im a sr data analyst and i have db development/automation experience too
+5   

2 months ago '06        #42
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
Props total: 3178 3 K  Slaps total: 219 219
 Maroon_Tiger said
Since 2008... oracle, teradata, redshift, a little sql server...

Im a sr data analyst and i have db development/automation experience too
Hell yea bro, Im hoping by next spring to be in the action myself.

2 months ago '06        #43
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 VicDamone said
Brother I salute you. I have 2 small kids myself. I need to discipline and push myself for my family.
That makes it harder but also easier...

Show em what you can do my guy!

2 months ago '06        #44
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 AnuthaOne said
they dont give a fu*k if the workers are american or not

4000 a week for a worker in north america
vs
98 dollars a week for a worker in india
No they don't in most cases, but if you're working with the company in office thats a different story.

What you're speaking on is out sourcing but thats only one side of it.

IT recruiters are told specifically to look for experienced people with people skills since this is dominated by introverted people, but also diversity..

Whether im black white asian or indian. Im getting this cheese and nobody stopping me
+7   

2 months ago '06        #45
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 Honzou said
Iím in a different section of IT.

I got my A+ and Iím about to take my Network + cert. test in the beginning of the year.
Iíd like to learn more and get my feet wet in other fields.

I know in the IT career questions reddit Iíve seen many people who are sysadmins and are making bank.

As one not too familiar with coding how is SQL compared to other languages like Python and HTML?
SQL imo is VERY user friendly as most of the commands and functions are in basic english.

Also much faster (but not quite as in depth) route to 6 figures, which ultimately is my goal. YOu ahve a foot in the door bro make sure you're exploring the best bang for your buck. If you're doing IT already might as well carve out a lane to capitalize
+3   

2 months ago '06        #46
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 Zaosyn said

What I love most is I have the ability to work remote. My company lets us work from home 3 days a week and after a few years, I can apply to work remotely permanently. That means moving somewhere cheap like back to Kentucky with a $60k+ salary. That's like having a 100k+ salary in Chicago. I'll beable to buy real estate or do way more with my money than I can now living in a big city (I live in Chicago)

I've read your story bro and it was part of my motivation

The hardest part is starting because as adults we think we cant LEARN but man once you start you see how few obstacles there really are.

Could double even triple some people's salary with the same time they spend on bx.

Salute bro, I plan to have a success thread similar soon!
+9   

2 months ago '05        #47
YoungHope 
space
space
Props total: 3679 3 K  Slaps total: 411 411
 detroitdipset said
I have been studying for the past few months to change my career to a completely different sector (Animal Scientist).

I am not very techy at all (I have a iphone 8 and before that I still a entry level boost)

I am a very hands on visionary, so the typical attention to detail and small scale details of menial jobs dont do it for me especially if its not in my field.

I say all this to say I'm the least likely person to have natural talent in "coding" as many a*sume.

But i see it like a video game back in the 90s. We didn't have the internet or cheat codes we had to keep losing until we figured out how the game worked and eventually what it took to win.

Same here and the best part is thanks to the internet, there arent any gatekeepers. You dont need a certain GPA, You DONT need to have huge amounts of money, You don't even need to dedicate 4 yrs of your life.

There are people in India who don't speak english yet are learning these skills via youtube and competing for 100K+ jobs here.

This is a no cert needed segment of IT, that can be entered by skill and of course knowing someone.

I chose Database Development but there are several languages/segments out there. Many of them have 100% free material on youtube.

We have all figured out that most youtubers use youtube as a billboard for a product they want to sell you. From what ive seen you can get enough material for close to nothing to get started in the field you would like..

1-2 hours a day could change your life especially if you don't have a degree or n demand skill.
Here are some resources for those interested.

Free Sql training course:

Free Software:

Free database:

Paid courses with references:

Over abundance of jobs available usually $30/hr+ entry:

I will be updating the thread as I study as a place holder feel free to ask any questions or even help a brotha out. LETS GET THIS CASH Y'LL
This.... this is why....
I keep getting in this site
+7   

2 months ago '06        #48
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 AnuthaOne said
brutal
havent worked legal since 2007
minimum wage here is now 15 dollars an hour i believe
last time i worked minimum wage was 8 dollars
This is your lane bro. Can you devote 2 hrs of focus 5 days a week and maybe $100 a month.. Its that easy!

Im trappin from my kitchen table nightly!
+6   

2 months ago '15        #49
AmillionMo 
space
space
Props total: 11442 11 K  Slaps total: 4041 4 K
Saved
+1   

2 months ago '06        #50
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 ColeWorld said
I appreciate this thread man. Iím 27 looking to make some changes and gain some skills and Iíve been thinking about getting in the SQL/data game or digital marketing which also revolves around data.
Bro you're in the perfect position . I am studying with a 54 year old woman who was in real estate for 20 years. She couldn't turn her computer on when we started and now we quiz each other back and fourth.

Its enough money for us all, and honestly its just whatvever you wana pick to try. Just see it all the way through.

If i can help you let me know
+4   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+18online now  33
One regret Lebron will have in his career...
86 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  30
Diddy lied to biggie mom after his death
76 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+20online now  29
Image(s) inside Damon Dash Sues Rachel Roy for Fraud