Oh What a Time.......To be hustler (IT Field)

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
97 comments @sports
most viewed right now
+18  109
72 comments @sports

section  x5   |  0 bx goons and 5 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section guap

3 months ago '06        #1
19694 page views
272 comments

detroitdipset 
space
space
Props total: 3191 3 K  Slaps total: 219 219
Oh What a Time.......To be hustler (IT Field)

I have been studying for the past few months to change my career to a completely different sector (Animal Scientist).

I am not very techy at all (I have a iphone 8 and before that I still a entry level boost)

I am a very hands on visionary, so the typical attention to detail and small scale details of menial jobs dont do it for me especially if its not in my field.

I say all this to say I'm the least likely person to have natural talent in "coding" as many a*sume.

But i see it like a video game back in the 90s. We didn't have the internet or cheat codes we had to keep losing until we figured out how the game worked and eventually what it took to win.

Same here and the best part is thanks to the internet, there arent any gatekeepers. You dont need a certain GPA, You DONT need to have huge amounts of money, You don't even need to dedicate 4 yrs of your life.

There are people in India who don't speak english yet are learning these skills via youtube and competing for 100K+ jobs here.

This is a no cert needed segment of IT, that can be entered by skill and of course knowing someone.

I chose Database Development but there are several languages/segments out there. Many of them have 100% free material on youtube.

We have all figured out that most youtubers use youtube as a billboard for a product they want to sell you. From what ive seen you can get enough material for close to nothing to get started in the field you would like..

1-2 hours a day could change your life especially if you don't have a degree or n demand skill.
Here are some resources for those interested.

Free Sql training course:

Free Software:
visit this link https://docs.microsoft.co .. l-server-ver15

Free database:

visit this link https://docs.microsoft.co .. l-server-ver15

Paid courses with references:

visit this link https://www.udemy.com/cou .. DATABASE%20DEV

Over abundance of jobs available usually $30/hr+ entry:

visit this link https://www.dice.com/jobs .. ly&language=en.

I will be updating the thread as I study as a place holder feel free to ask any questions or even help a brotha out. LETS GET THIS CASH Y'LL
+162   

best
worst
272 comments

3 months ago '15        #2
Tully Blanchard 
space
space
Props total: 83000 83 K  Slaps total: 4465 4 K
Good looks bro. Seen plenty of cats get shut down career wise because they didn’t know SQL
+24   

3 months ago '15        #3
The South 
space
space
Props total: 21792 21 K  Slaps total: 2730 2 K
Good thread.

I work in the telecom industry in the field. sh*ts rough. Been wanting to build my computer skills to transition into an office position. We got a CAD department, so I could start there. Hour or two a day will add up over time.

And some sh*t that’s still relevant from when I was in high school 15 years ago.. python and CAD.

Mfs tried to put me on.. but i wanted to be a scumbag selling powder and chasing bi*ches.
+39   

3 months ago '06        #4
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 Tully Blanchard said
Good looks bro. Seen plenty of cats get shut down career wise because they didnít know SQL
Man the more I learn, the more I see how much the world revolves around data now. I picked this sector because it was the easiest barrier to entry but its looking like it'll be around for quite sometime.

And the sh*t is basic English, so very easily learned
+10   

3 months ago '06        #5
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 The South said
Good thread.

I work in the telecom industry in the field. sh*ts rough. Been wanting to build my computer skills to transition into an office position. We got a CAD department, so I could start there. Hour or two a day will add up over time.

And some sh*t thatís still relevant from when I was in high school 15 years ago.. python and CAD.

Mfs tried to put me on.. but i wanted to be a scumbag selling powder and chasing bi*ches.
Bro we all been there. I'm slapping myself that i didn't just keep going with this sh*t back i the myspace days.

Cad will be around for quite sometime, and it has a wide range of uses. From basic engineering to CNC/3d modeling work.

I would suggest checking UDEMY.COM. Courses are real cheap and if you can motivate yourself to study daily its no reason you cant put yourself on.
+14   

3 months ago '06        #6
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 King Tyr said
Some topics we'll cover:

1. Machine Learning

2. Data Structures & Algorithms

3. Videogame development

4. Linux , Python, C/C++, etc.

5. Devops

6. Math/Physics

hell yea Im down I'll pm it to you. I'm still studying on the SQL/SSIS side of things now so don't really want to split but Id be happy to jump in after the new year. I'm learning all back end currently
+4   

3 months ago '17        #7
VicDamone 
space
space
space
Props total: 59 59  Slaps total: 3 3
I would love to learn SQL...at a point in my life where I want to do something different and get paid well.
+6   

3 months ago '15        #8
TayloredSince83 
space
space
Props total: 5354 5 K  Slaps total: 296 296
Don't just get caught up in SQL, learn noSQL too. I recommend learning cloud Azure, AWS, etc., Ansible (infrastructure by code). Cloud and automation is the wave of the future.
+21   

3 months ago '04        #9
Maroon_Tiger 
space
space
Props total: 9296 9 K  Slaps total: 2377 2 K
 King Tyr said
Some topics we'll cover:

1. Machine Learning

2. Data Structures & Algorithms

3. Videogame development

4. Linux , Python, C/C++, etc.

5. Devops

6. Math/Physics

Keep me in the loop for 1-2 and python.. im already a sql expert (certified)... but im tryna migrate to the new cutting edge solutions

Last edited by Maroon_Tiger; 12-07-2019 at 06:07 PM..
+5   

3 months ago '11        #10
bd2eazy 
space
space
Props total: 1117 1 K  Slaps total: 115 115
im fresh in my helpdesk career, just hit 5 months. already looking for the next thing.

They said i couldnt get this job without certs or school and did it without either.
My management experience got me a position as a help desk lead out the gate. We just built and launched the service desk for a big national broadcaster.

Thinking about going for AWS practitioner cert to start
+15   

3 months ago '16        #11
rizzo1914 
space
space
Props total: 1695 1 K  Slaps total: 172 172
props book marking for later
+5   

3 months ago '06        #12
xastey 
space
space
Props total: 4674 4 K  Slaps total: 441 441
So it's that time of year again... Self employed /consultant software engineer/system architecture for 11years.

If y'all have any questions let me know
+23   

3 months ago '18        #13
Losantana16x3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 6614 6 K  Slaps total: 1364 1 K
Subbed.
+1   

3 months ago '15        #14
Lord Funkington 
space
space
Props total: 3550 3 K  Slaps total: 605 605
 xastey said
So it's that time of year again... Self employed /consultant software engineer/system architecture for 11years.

If y'all have any questions let me know
What kind of education do you have?

What was your career path to your current position?
+1   

3 months ago '04        #15
doczdaname 
space
space
Props total: 8452 8 K  Slaps total: 1618 1 K
I have been a sys ad for several years but I got too comfortable and now I am wanting more..good thread.
+2   

3 months ago '19        #16
AnuthaOne 
space
space
space
Props total: 1815 1 K  Slaps total: 1175 1 K
 detroitdipset said
There are people in India who don't speak english yet are learning these skills via youtube and competing for 100K+ jobs here.
my buddy used to run one of those teams
he would get 200 dollars an hour
to run a team of hindus in india
coding an import export database
they would get 98 dollars a week
+1   

3 months ago '06        #17
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 TayloredSince83 said
Don't just get caught up in SQL, learn noSQL too. I recommend learning cloud Azure, AWS, etc., Ansible (infrastructure by code). Cloud and automation is the wave of the future.
Oh for sho, its just where I'm starting. Im actually on SSIS, AND SSRS now, Trying to complete the database development loop and slilde in somewhere.

Im not necessarily in this for a long time.. Long enough to get bread up for other endeavors but I will keep adding skills if its this user friendly
+2   

3 months ago '06        #18
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 bd2eazy said
im fresh in my helpdesk career, just hit 5 months. already looking for the next thing.

They said i couldnt get this job without certs or school and did it without either.
My management experience got me a position as a help desk lead out the gate. We just built and launched the service desk for a big national broadcaster.

Thinking about going for AWS practitioner cert to start
Bro this whole field is about showing and proving. I would def suggest trying to move out into AWS or other cloud integration. Much more money and less work per say.

Lets get it!
+2   

3 months ago '05        #19
bi0  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 10933 10 K  Slaps total: 1123 1 K
Leaned SQL In about 2 weeks as far as writing the statements needed for my job. Just trying to figure out to resolve errors with my queries.

Props Op
+9   

3 months ago '06        #20
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 AnuthaOne said
my buddy used to run one of those teams
he would get 200 dollars an hour
to run a team of hindus in india
coding an import export database
they would get 98 dollars a week
Yea its not enough people in america to fill the voids.

Black americans in specific are in high demand with the rise of company "culture"
+12   

3 months ago '06        #21
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 VicDamone said
I would love to learn SQL...at a point in my life where I want to do something different and get paid well.
Its very simple and me not being into coding/hacking/tech stuff it was a good transition for confidence level. Its very doable dog trust me.

I work full time, have 2 small kids and run a small business and still make it work.
+13   

3 months ago '06        #22
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 bi0 said
Leaned SQL In about 2 weeks as far as writing the statements needed for my job. Just trying to figure out to resolve errors with my queries.

Props Op
SQL select statements are so basic and all the info is online. You really just need to get your foot in the door and can google damn near everything. I was surprised how fast I caught on too

WHat type of SQL work are they getting you to do? database development, etl?
+5   

3 months ago '06        #23
detroitdipset  OP
space
space
 Maroon_Tiger said
Keep me in the loop for 1-2 and python.. im already a sql expert (certified)... but im tryna migrate to the new cutting edge solutions
Nice, you working with databases now?

3 months ago '15        #24
Honzou 
space
space
space
Props total: 1564 1 K  Slaps total: 59 59
I’m in a different section of IT.

I got my A+ and I’m about to take my Network + cert. test in the beginning of the year.
I’d like to learn more and get my feet wet in other fields.

I know in the IT career questions reddit I’ve seen many people who are sysadmins and are making bank.

As one not too familiar with coding how is SQL compared to other languages like Python and HTML?
+8   

3 months ago '09        #25
Zaosyn 
space
space
Props total: 9225 9 K  Slaps total: 1955 1 K
I've written a lot about this before so I don't wanna keep writing big walls of text you can read about my story (and some advice I give) in this thread on the first page about coding

But I have a high school education from KENTUCKY, never went to college and I have a violent offense still on my record (can't get that bi*ch expunged until the end of 2020). I got denied a fu*king $9 an hour nursing home job because of it. It made me feel low as sh*t. Anyways with all that said I'm making almost $60k a year MY FIRST YEAR doing web development. I started off as a paid intern then got a $50k offer then gotten little promotions throughout this year and now I'm at $57k. I'll be making $60k+ next year at my job.

What I love most is I have the ability to work remote. My company lets us work from home 3 days a week and after a few years, I can apply to work remotely permanently. That means moving somewhere cheap like back to Kentucky with a $60k+ salary. That's like having a 100k+ salary in Chicago. I'll beable to buy real estate or do way more with my money than I can now living in a big city (I live in Chicago)

The tech industry (especially coding and IT) is the way out for people who never went to college (though having a degree can help but it's NOT needed at all). The tech industry is more about what you can do. You also don't have to know how to code to get in. If you are more of a sells type person, customer service oriented and manager type you can look into becoming a project manager.

Last edited by Zaosyn; 12-07-2019 at 09:26 PM..
+15   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  37
Feb 22 - drug dealer loses $60 million in bitcoin...when landlord threw his co..
66 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+91online now  29
Image(s) inside Husband Plucks 4 Teeth From Wifeís Mouth After Discovering His 3 Child..
208 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+88online now  17
Idiot prefers a Rolex and chain over a rental property
108 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  8
Video inside Feb 23 - BREAKING: Bernie Wins Nevada Caucus, MSNBC is MELTING DOWN!
41 comments
19 hours ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy