Starting strength 5x5

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
+19  44
32 comments @hiphop
most viewed right now
+36  30
119 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section health

3 months ago '04        #26
Propel Water 
space
space
Props total: 6494 6 K  Slaps total: 1648 1 K
 dinono10 said
I feel you my brah. Problem is when you are training by yourself at home it's so easy to get distracted by the phone or tablet that your rest become longer even with a timer on need to become more dedicated/disciplined lol
For sure. Thats definitely one of the pitfalls. I have all my notes on my phone to keep track. Distractions happen
+3   

3 months ago '09        #27
Zaosyn 
space
space
Props total: 9119 9 K  Slaps total: 1933 1 K
I did 5x5 for a while and once I started to plateau on certain lifts (mostly the bench and OHP if I recall) I switched those specific lifts to 3x5 instead of 5x5 and continued to progress.. I know that's not what you're supposed to do but I cut the volume of those lifts down and my numbers went up.
+4   

3 months ago '18        #28
dinono10  OP
space
space
space
Props total: 1743 1 K  Slaps total: 66 66
 Zaosyn said
I did 5x5 for a while and once I started to plateau on certain lifts (mostly the bench and OHP if I recall) I switched those specific lifts to 3x5 instead of 5x5 and continued to progress.. I know that's not what you're supposed to do but I cut the volume of those lifts down and my numbers went up.
When do you know when to switch it up? For example, 5 weeks in. 85kg on squat. 3 minutes rest between exercises.
+1   

2 months ago '17        #29
DeadendBoy 
space
space
Props total: 4762 4 K  Slaps total: 604 604
5x5 is decent but if you wanna get stronger and a better look gotta go high volume

4-5 exercise per body par 4 sets 15, 12, 10, 8

2 months ago '17        #30
CityofChampions  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 13327 13 K  Slaps total: 8326 8 K
 DeadendBoy said
5x5 is decent but if you wanna get stronger and a better look gotta go high volume

Wrong. Not everybody is the same and depends on where you are at. Newbies should do something like a 5x5.

4-5 exercises per body 4 sets is overkill. That's for people who have been lifting for 5-10 years and can only get like 5 < lbs of muscle a year.
+2   

2 months ago '18        #31
dinono10  OP
space
space
space
So 2 months into it now brahs. Been following the programe.
Only problem I've faced is my right shoulder getting sore during the OHP.
Turns out it's the rotator cuff. To deal with this, when I do bench press, I'm not going mega low and touching the chest, and having a narrow width on the bar.

I'm also switching it up with the OHP. Brought a landmine attachment for my rig so I can do my shoulder press using the landmine attachment.

It may not be as good but it would be better for my shoulders and I really don't want to make things worse I can always go back to shoulder press in the future.
+2   

2 months ago '05        #32
anonymous414 
space
space
space
Props total: 606 606  Slaps total: 211 211
Homeboy Pavel on JRE said 3-6 rep range is where you wanna stay. In this manner you won't build up too much lactic acid and can recover faster. He also does this thing where he'll work a muscle group hard for maybe 30 seconds, then switch to another muscle group and not hit that same group until 10-15 minutes have passed allowing full recovery in between sets
+4   

2 months ago '06        #33
God Emcee 
space
space
Props total: 3117 3 K  Slaps total: 339 339

Iíve been doing this variation of SS. Itís a little more volume, and has the perfect rep range for strength, and hypertrophy. Its helped my bench tremendously.
+3   

2 months ago '12        #34
Gulla 
space
space
Props total: 117 117  Slaps total: 5 5
My workouts used to be a lot more complex but I strained my rotator cuff, haven't worked out since Mid October.

Y'all think I should start with starting strength to get back on the grind (or just resume my normal sh*t just lower weight)

Keeping in mind I'm also trying to gain some muscle I lost back?
+1   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '17        #35
92baby 
space
space
Props total: 37432 37 K  Slaps total: 5785 5 K
 dinono10 said
I feel you my brah. Problem is when you are training by yourself at home it's so easy to get distracted by the phone or tablet that your rest become longer even with a timer on need to become more dedicated/disciplined lol
Put on a good movie

And workout

I put on hard sh*t like 300 or some f*ghting movie or some sh*t

sh*t get real
+4   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '17        #36
92baby 
space
space
 DeadendBoy said

CityofChampions said
Wrong. Not everybody is the same and depends on where you are at. Newbies should do something like a 5x5.

4-5 exercises per body 4 sets is overkill. That's for people who have been lifting for 5-10 years and can only get like 5 < lbs of muscle a year.
Both of you are right

But yes it does depend on the person

I switch it up

Light heavy and medium weeks

Light higher reps

Heavy low reps

Medium low or high or smeidum
+1   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '17        #37
92baby 
space
space
 Gulla said
My workouts used to be a lot more complex but I strained my rotator cuff, haven't worked out since Mid October.

Y'all think I should start with starting strength to get back on the grind (or just resume my normal sh*t just lower weight)

Keeping in mind I'm also trying to gain some muscle I lost back?
Start with calisthenics

How is your shoulder?

You also donít need to lift to fu*kin heavy
+1   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '17        #38
92baby 
space
space
 God Emcee said

Iíve been doing this variation of SS. Itís a little more volume, and has the perfect rep range for strength, and hypertrophy. Its helped my bench tremendously.
What you bench now
+1   

2 months ago '06        #39
God Emcee 
space
space
 92baby said
What you bench now
Got 205 for 4x4 this past Sunday. Only been lifting since August. Been bouncing around programs, and finally sticking to this 4-4-8 program. I havenít progressed my bench like this on anything else. I should be up to 225 in 2 weeks which is huge for me. Been a goal of mine since I started.
+3   

2 months ago '18        #40
dinono10  OP
space
space
space
 92baby said
What you bench now
Brah surely for the shoulders this isn't good. All that bench. I already have to do closeish grip bench press and not too low due to my shoulder being slightly fu*ked.

If it works good for you playa.
+1   

2 months ago '18        #41
dinono10  OP
space
space
space
 92baby said
Start with calisthenics

How is your shoulder?

You also don’t need to lift to fu*kin heavy
I was basically doing pull ups and different type of press ups with weighted vest (20 kg).

Very easy to fu*k the joints up. Which I done on my right shoulder due to overuse I think.

SS is okay for me at the moment but I have to adapt such as not going too low on bench and narrow grip.

Shoulder press is proving more difficult playa. Narrow grip on the press along with not going down too low. My mantra is, if it hurts don't do it. 38 years old. My posture is poor so don't need my joints getting equally bad.

SORRY BRAH thought that we aimed at me that question lol.

Last edited by dinono10; 12-24-2019 at 05:32 AM..
+2   

2 months ago '06        #42
God Emcee 
space
space
 dinono10 said
Brah surely for the shoulders this isn't good. All that bench. I already have to do closeish grip bench press and not too low due to my shoulder being slightly fu*ked.

If it works good for you playa.
So far, so good. Only issue Iíve had is all the deadlift volume. 4x4 working sets is extremely taxing. I got 335 a week ago and it hurt like hell. Tried to go for 355 today, and couldnít get it once. Had to drop down to 315, and that was hard as hell smh.
+2   

2 months ago '10        #43
Trilluminati GA 
space
space
Props total: 19541 19 K  Slaps total: 879 879
I'm trying to lose weight and put on muscle...I'm losing fat and getting stronger (maxing out at 295-300) but not packing on muscles like I'd like.
My neck/shoulder area is popping out though I work out after work 5-6 times a week. I do 5-6 sets of 10 reps, 30 minutes on treadmill, then 2 sets of 20 reps of 80 lbs on cable weights. Any suggestions? Btw I've been training off and on for years.

Last edited by Trilluminati GA; 12-24-2019 at 09:13 AM..
+2   

2 months ago '19        #44
PolloFrito 
space
space
Props total: 1313 1 K  Slaps total: 99 99
 Propel Water said
I did this for a couple months and wont lie, it got me in great shape fast however i stopped do to my inability to perfect my form for squats and deadlifts. I lift by myself and didnt have a mirror at my gym by the squat decks that allow me to watch my form.

Just started again except im using the hack squat machine/leg press/back extensions to make up for it minimally
Try box squats. You can use the end of a bench. Eventually you will know what it feels like when you get the position right to lift up.

dinono10 said
A month into it now. Starting to take a bit longer as the weights get heavier now and phying myself up for each exercise especially the heavier squats.

When I start to really struggle, eventually the app willchanges it's set up to 3 x 5 instead of 5 x 5 which will shorten the workouts hopefully. I expect that to be in another month's time probably the 8-week mark.
I've never heard of this. Are you doing 3x5 SS, or Madcow's 5x5?
Switching up the program mid way is a big deal. There's a difference in volume between those programs. Might could lead to injury.

Props on having your own squat rack too. I have one and it's one of my favorite things to own.
+2   

2 months ago '18        #45
dinono10  OP
space
space
space
 PolloFrito said
Try box squats. You can use the end of a bench. Eventually you will know what it feels like when you get the position right to lift up.

I've never heard of this. Are you doing 3x5 SS, or Madcow's 5x5?
Switching up the program mid way is a big deal. There's a difference in volume between those programs. Might could lead to injury.

Props on having your own squat rack too. I have one and it's one of my favorite things to own.

I've literally just started putting a bench and basically barely touching it before going back up. Thing is, not sure it's deep enough as it just about parallel.

Also, been putting small plates under my heels as apparently that's a good thing to do for your knees.

For some reason I felt easier to me?.not sure if that's what it's meant to do ..

Merry Christmas brah
+2   

2 months ago '15        #46
Teddy KGB 
space
space
Props total: 61790 61 K  Slaps total: 7930 7 K
 92baby said

I dont know if I can respect a n*gga that cant bench 135

Then people be in that bi*ch doing all the wrong movements and sh*t

n*ggas ain't earned enough muscle to just do isolation movements
All these things you said here should be posted in every gym in the world. Big facts.
+1   

2 months ago '09        #47
faceoffizhere 
space
space
Props total: 1833 1 K  Slaps total: 407 407
 92baby said
How old are you if you don't mind me asking

I'll never get why men dont like to lift

n*ggas talkin bout they like to run tho
Lifting can injure you if not done properly or if the weight is too heavy. Talking permanent damage to bones joints etc. You can get the same workout or even better doing calisthetics
+1   

2 months ago '09        #48
faceoffizhere 
space
space
 Trilluminati GA said
I'm trying to lose weight and put on muscle...I'm losing fat and getting stronger (maxing out at 295-300) but not packing on muscles like I'd like.
My neck/shoulder area is popping out though I work out after work 5-6 times a week. I do 5-6 sets of 10 reps, 30 minutes on treadmill, then 2 sets of 20 reps of 80 lbs on cable weights. Any suggestions? Btw I've been training off and on for years.
Try sprinting instead of running a distance. Also invest in a jump rope and do sets
+1   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '17        #49
92baby 
space
space
 faceoffizhere said
Lifting can injure you if not done properly or if the weight is too heavy. Talking permanent damage to bones joints etc. You can get the same workout or even better doing calisthetics
Yes thank you for reinforcing my thoughts
I agree 100 percent

I donít deadlift and or squat much just for those reasons

Iím good at 315 for both
+1   

2 months ago '09        #50
faceoffizhere 
space
space
 92baby said
Yes thank you for reinforcing my thoughts
I agree 100 percent

I donít deadlift and or squat much just for those reasons

Iím good at 315 for both
Yup as you get older things get worse. You can always wear a weighted vest with squats or just hold something while doing them. Definitely avoids injury
+1   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+23online now  15
One regret Lebron will have in his career...
91 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+95online now  15
All-Star Weekend was cool but Ludacris hoodie gotta go
113 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+16online now  12
America's Infrastructure Is Crumbling