Ask (Almost) Anything | Cardio, Weights, Nutrition, Supplements, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
+17  81
27 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section health

2 years ago '06        #51
chrisf249 
space
space
Props total: 794 794  Slaps total: 109 109
Can you guys recommend me some running shoes for a wide foot person? I currently run I nike metcons

2 years ago '05        #52
rotstreetz 
space
space
space
Props total: 3202 3 K  Slaps total: 416 416
 get_ate said
When you say you have "high" calves, are you saying that you have high calf inserts?

In other words, you have long Achilles tendons and short muscle bellies?

If that's the case, the answer is no.

You cannot make your calves grow because you're genetically limited by the amount of space you have available to you to add mass to, as opposed to an individual with short Achilles tendons and long muscle bellies who has more room to fill out.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't train your calves, though.

It just means that they're not going to be near as impressive as someone with lower calf inserts.
So is it possible for me to obtain an proportioned aesthetic physique with high calve inserts?

2 years ago '17        #53
The Gary Group  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x61
space
space
Props total: 62238 62 K  Slaps total: 8138 8 K
Couple questions for you. Im trying to gain muscle. What are good pre workout/ amino acids/post workout supplements should I take, what time during/after I workout should I take them? How much should I take?

2 years ago '08        #54
get_ate  OP
space
space
Props total: 1290 1 K  Slaps total: 117 117
 5 Sigma said
I need some help with nutrition, this is what I know so far-

Low glycemic intake pre workout
And high glycemic intake post-work out..

My question is, what about dinner? Since post work out I'm pretty much idle, what should I be eating?
It doesn't really matter.

But there are two schools of thought.

One is to cut out all carbs after lunch or 6 PM or some other arbitrary time.

The thinking is that eating carbs at night impairs fat loss and abstaining from them will force the body to burn fat for fuel in their absence.

Research hasn't exactly proven that to be true, but it's true as long as you tell yourself it is!

The other school of thought, which I subscribe to, says to eat low-glycemic foods later in the day so your body can remain in an anabolic state during the 8 hours of sleep that you go without food, thus preserving calorie-burning muscle and preventing the body from turning to it as an energy source.

5 Sigma said
Also I'm having trouble with portion sizes I've never really been good with counting calories and sh*t. my goal is to lose 20 lbs and in the way to that goal build some muscle.

I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks guys.
I can't help you with that.

My advice for someone who's actually serious about wanting to lose weight is to buy a fu*king food scale and open an account on any one of the calorie counting apps so they can not only learn the invaluable skill of making meals fit their total daily calorie allotment but so they can also have a visual of what food weighs.

It's then that after weighing EVERYTHING they eat for a while that they can start eye-balling their portions within a certain realm of accuracy.

2 years ago '08        #55
get_ate  OP
space
space
 rotstreetz said
So is it possible for me to obtain an proportioned aesthetic physique with high calve inserts?
Yeah, it's possible and it's something that's done quite frequently.

There are many people in possession of aesthetic physiques with high calf inserts.

It's not a limiting factor to how the rest of your body grows, neither is it really a big deal.

To be honest, unless you plan on becoming a physique competitor in the bodybuilding or classic bodybuilding division, no one is really going to give a fu*k about your calf development.

2 years ago '08        #56
get_ate  OP
space
space
 The Gary Group said
Couple questions for you. Im trying to gain muscle. What are good pre workout/ amino acids/post workout supplements should I take, what time during/after I workout should I take them? How much should I take?
I'm the wrong guy to ask about supplements.

If you're new to weight training, which most people who ask questions of this nature are, you should be spending more time learning how to meet and exceed your total daily requirements than on what bullsh*t in a fancy bottle is going to work magic on you.

Food is the best pre- and post-workout supplement you can take.

Period!

It's not the answer many want to fu*king hear, but it's the fu*king answer.

Come back to me when you have your food squared away (i.e. you know how many calories per day you should eat to place you in a surplus to build muscle, know your macros, know how to create meals to fit your daily macros, and routinely nail your macros with your food intake).

When you do, I'll then tell you to come back to me when you know how to train properly.

After then, I might suggest something to you.

...but I most likely won't because a lot of the products on the market are all hype and no substance.

2 years ago '11        #57
5 Sigma 
space
space
Props total: 1620 1 K  Slaps total: 185 185
 get_ate said
It doesn't really matter.

But there are two schools of thought.

One is to cut out all carbs after lunch or 6 PM or some other arbitrary time.

The thinking is that eating carbs at night impairs fat loss and abstaining from them will force the body to burn fat for fuel in their absence.

Research hasn't exactly proven that to be true, but it's true as long as you tell yourself it is!

The other school of thought, which I subscribe to, says to eat low-glycemic foods later in the day so your body can remain in an anabolic state during the 8 hours of sleep that you go without food, thus preserving calorie-burning muscle and preventing the body from turning to it as an energy source.

I can't help you with that.

My advice for someone who's actually serious about wanting to lose weight is to buy a fu*king food scale and open an account on any one of the calorie counting apps so they can not only learn the invaluable skill of making meals fit their total daily calorie allotment but so they can also have a visual of what food weighs.

It's then that after weighing EVERYTHING they eat for a while that they can start eye-balling their portions within a certain realm of accuracy.
Thanks for the reply. I know I can Google, food scale, are there any particular good ones?

2 years ago '08        #58
get_ate  OP
space
space
 5 Sigma said
Thanks for the reply. I know I can Google, food scale, are there any particular good ones?
I've been fu*king with particular brand and model for well over a decade now.

During that span of time, I've went through about three of them.

I dropped two from considerable heights, and the one I'm currently using I've now had for maybe five years or some sh*t.

2 years ago '07        #59
DoctorNBA 
space
space
Props total: 7720 7 K  Slaps total: 5710 5 K
 get_ate said
I'm the wrong person to ask about because I don't subscribe to them.

Other than protein powder, I don't use anything nor push supplements of any kind on my clients.

And somehow results have been achieved without that sh*t.

Go figure!

It probably has to do with the fact that other than protein powder, creatine, fish oil, and a VERY SELECT FEW other products, most of the supplements on the market fall well short of living up to their advertised claims (e.g. like the multi-vitamins and preworkout you're taking).

If you're cutting, worry more about nailing your nutrition each and every day so you're in an actual caloric deficit instead of focusing on what placebo you can take to allow you to think you don't have to be so disciplined on that front because you have a magic pill to fall back on, which is the trap many people fall into.

Well then what protein powder do you take? And what protein would you recommend someone who is trying to lose weight and get shredded take?

2 years ago '08        #60
get_ate  OP
space
space
 JordanWest86 said
What protein would you recommend someone who is trying to lose weight and get shredded take?
If you're not vegan, whey protein should be your of choice.

Regarding the particular type, whey protein concentrate should meet all your needs.

If you have money to blow and have an overwhelming need to spend it for no real greater benefit, then go with whey hydrolysate.

2 years ago '16        #61
smokealot716 
space
space
space
Props total: 748 748  Slaps total: 149 149
Any recommend products for a strong colon cleanse/detox? Are there any benefits to indoor cyling for building leg muscles and strength?

2 years ago '08        #62
get_ate  OP
space
space
 smokealot716 said
Any recommend products for a strong colon cleanse/detox? Are there any benefits to indoor cyling for building leg muscles and strength?
There's no need to cleanse/detox the body.

Why?

Because the liver and kidneys already do that.

If they didn't, you'd be in a hospital or dead right now.

Are you in a hospital or dead right now?

As for the other matter, cycling will primarily build muscular endurance.

Sure, there are some cyclists with considerable quad development, but it's from cycling into the wind or at an incline (e.g. up hills) in addition to actual leg training in the gym to help build the muscle necessary to generate more pedal power.

In other words, cyclists with monster quads got those monstrous quads from doing sh*t that has nothing to do with cycling on a stationary bike in the comfort of a climate-controlled gym.

2 years ago '08        #63
get_ate  OP
space
space
 smokealot716 said
Are there any benefits to indoor cyling for building leg muscles and strength?
While I don't advocate cycling for leg development, you may be interested in this, primarily the last section:

2 years ago '05        #64
Sluggernaut  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 11630 11 K  Slaps total: 1497 1 K
@ is your IG down?

2 years ago '08        #65
get_ate  OP
space
space
 Sluggernaut said
@ is your IG down?
The account?

I took a break from IG and archived the posts.

I've been busy with other things, as well as turning my business efforts away from IG.

I plan on posting something later today, though.

2 years ago '05        #66
Sluggernaut  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 11630 11 K  Slaps total: 1497 1 K
 get_ate said
The account?

I took a break from IG and archived the posts.

I've been busy with other things, as well as turning my business efforts away from IG.

I plan on posting something later today, though.
Aiight because I couldn’t see you and I wanted to know whom is spitting all this knowledge. And my man, keep doing your thang.

Update us with your next business move.

2 years ago '10        #67
Mopaito 
space
space
Props total: 52 52  Slaps total: 2 2
Hey man. I'm 5ft8 225. I wanna lose weight but right now am on a tight budget so for the moment I can't go to the gym. only exercise at home. What are the best way for me to get started at home (exercise and eating habit wise)

I am a huge bread eater and coke drinker(I will cut on the coke completely and the bread if necessary lol)

2 years ago '08        #68
get_ate  OP
space
space
 Mopaito said
Hey man. I'm 5ft8 225. I wanna lose weight but right now am on a tight budget so for the moment I can't go to the gym. only exercise at home. What are the best way for me to get started at home (exercise and eating habit wise)

I am a huge bread eater and coke drinker(I will cut on the coke completely and the bread if necessary lol)
As I've said earlier in this thread, you don't need to exercise in order to lose weight. Why? Because physical activity, even when exercise is added in, counts for very little of total calorie burn.

VERY LITTLE!

That means it's not as responsible for weight loss as many, many people believe.

The lion's share of total calorie burn is your basal metabolic rate (BMR). I'm not going to get into explaining that because I've already done so here. Nevertheless, this means that the bulk of weight loss comes down to the simple act of you not eating so much sh*t.

The best way to get started is to calculate how many calories you need to eat per day to place you in a caloric deficit (i.e. you not eating so much sh*t). There are online calculators that can figure that out for you.

Look, !

From there, purchase a digital food scale and open an account on LoseIt!, CalorieKing, or MyFitnessPal. Doing the former will allow you to weigh your food and the latter will help you keep track of your entire intake for the day. In sum, both will allow you to have an accurate count of your calories to help ensure that you're not overshooting them.

If you do the above, there's no real need to cut out bread or soda (or anything, for that matter). You'd be doing what's called flexible dieting, where a particular food or food group isn't restricted. The only thing you have to keep in mind is this:

Let's say you decide to have some pizza for breakfast and wash it down with a soda.

fu*k, why not?

You're flexible dieting and can eat and drink whatever the fu*k you want!

Now, let's say two slices of pizza come out to 1,000 calories and a can of soda has 200. Let's also say that the total amount of calories you're supposed to eat for the day are 1,600.

So the question is, how the fu*k are you going to get through the rest of the day when you only have 400 calories left to play with?

The answer is that you're not.

That's why you would end up eating and drinking the sh*t you want in moderation and also making better food choices, all without completely restricting the food items you want, which can lead to cravings, which can lead to binging, which can lead to you completely falling off the wagon.
+1   

2 years ago '04        #69
quintosis03 
space
space
Props total: 1408 1 K  Slaps total: 60 60
What's up man, I'm currently 5'8 around 178 and I'm struggling to cut down these last few pounds before trying to bulk up. I'm currently running 2 miles (hiit training on treadmill for 2 minutes on 1 off) and doing an starting strength program. Diet is pretty much 3 eggs turkey sausage for breakfast, leftover dinner for lunch, nuts and cheese for a snack, and dinner is usually a meat (chicken brea*t, ground beef, of fish) and a veggie for dinner. I'm seeing little to no movement in my weight. What the hell am I doing wrong?

2 years ago '08        #70
get_ate  OP
space
space
 quintosis03 said
What's up man, I'm currently 5'8 around 178 and I'm struggling to cut down these last few pounds before trying to bulk up. I'm currently running 2 miles (hiit training on treadmill for 2 minutes on 1 off) and doing an starting strength program. Diet is pretty much 3 eggs turkey sausage for breakfast, leftover dinner for lunch, nuts and cheese for a snack, and dinner is usually a meat (chicken brea*t, ground beef, of fish) and a veggie for dinner. I'm seeing little to no movement in my weight. What the hell am I doing wrong?
As I just said in the immediate post above, and elsewhere in this thread on multiple occasions now, physical activity isn't responsible for weight loss - at least not as much as people believe. Taking in fewer calories is (i.e. eating less food).

Telling by your decision to list out the type of food you're consuming and NOT the exact amount (e.g. 4 oz of chicken brea*t), I would venture to guess that you have no idea how many total calories you're consuming per day.

As such, your problem is that you're NOT in a caloric deficit because you're overshooting your calorie intake.

Figuring out how many calories you're currently eating is where you should begin, as well as how many calories you should be eating on a daily basis to place you in a negative energy balance, if you haven't calculated that yet.

On another note, the scale isn't the best indicator of fat loss. It measures the body's relationship with gravity. And by body, I mean the organs, bones, water, fecal matter and other waste products, lean tissue, adipose, etc. In other words, the scale does NOT measure body composition.

So while the scale may read the same weight, someone may actually lose fat, with the scale reading the same weight because they're retaining water, holding more glycogen in your muscles, whatever, and that's skewing things. It's for this reason that people should go by progress photos or circumference measurements.

I doubt that's your case because of the vitals you gave, but I'm putting it out there for the benefit of others.

2 years ago '04        #71
quintosis03 
space
space
Props total: 1408 1 K  Slaps total: 60 60
 get_ate said
As I just said in the immediate post above, and elsewhere in this thread on multiple occasions now, physical activity isn't responsible for weight loss - at least not as much as people believe. Taking in fewer calories is (i.e. eating less food).

Telling by your decision to list out the type of food you're consuming and NOT the exact amount (e.g. 4 oz of chicken brea*t), I would venture to guess that you have no idea how many total calories you're consuming per day.

As such, your problem is that you're NOT in a caloric deficit because you're overshooting your calorie intake.

Figuring out how many calories you're currently eating is where you should begin, as well as how many calories you should be eating on a daily basis to place you in a negative energy balance, if you haven't calculated that yet.

On another note, the scale isn't the best indicator of fat loss. It measures the body's relationship with gravity. And by body, I mean the organs, bones, water, fecal matter and other waste products, lean tissue, adipose, etc. In other words, the scale does NOT measure body composition.

So while the scale may read the same weight, someone may actually lose fat, with the scale reading the same weight because they're retaining water, holding more glycogen in your muscles, whatever, and that's skewing things. It's for this reason that people should go by progress photos or circumference measurements.

I doubt that's your case because of the vitals you gave, but I'm putting it out there for the benefit of others.
Thanks, think I'm going to get a food scale and start logging my food intake again. I do think it's some water weight in there like u mentioned, just got home from the gym and weighed myself before and after and after I ran and I was a half of pound lighter. Really appreciate that!

2 years ago '15        #72
Whatchumean 
space
space
Props total: 3419 3 K  Slaps total: 840 840
As well as other workouts, I’ve been doing consistent leg days each week & no progress whatsoever. Meanwhile, every other part of my body is progressing well. What are some tips to help my calves grow?

2 years ago '08        #73
get_ate  OP
space
space
 Whatchumean said
As well as other workouts, I’ve been doing consistent leg days each week & no progress whatsoever. Meanwhile, every other part of my body is progressing well. What are some tips to help my calves grow?
So your legs aren't responding, but you're only concerned with your calves?

Either that or you phrased your inquiry wrong.

Nevertheless, let's consider this.

Your calves, much like your quads and hamstrings, are responsible for locomotion. That means that they're responsible for moving the bulk of your mass day in and day out. That then means that they can withstand a lot of stress.

It's for this reason that doing a set of calf raises at the very end of your leg workout for 12 bullsh*t reps and then calling it a day, as most people do, isn't going to cut it.

If the calves are unresponsive, you may want to try moving them to the beginning of the workout (or a separate day) when you're physically and mentally fresh, which means you can put your energy into training them seriously.

How do you train them seriously?

By moving the weight in a controlled manner with the balls of your feet and pausing the movement at the top of the lift in order to squeeze the calf muscle. Yeah, do that instead of rapidly bouncing the weight up and down like most people do.

Another thing you might want to consider is varying the poundages and reps. So perform calf raises with heavy a*s weight for a few reps to hit the fast-twitch gastrocnemius. Or with a lighter load for 20+ reps to stimulate the slow-twitch soleus. Or use a moderate weight and do 8-12 reps for a slight mixture of both. You can change the poundages and reps every session, week, or mesocycle (i.e. training block).

Also, you may want to align the above with the proper exercises. When targeting the gastrocs, you should be doing calf raises that require the knee in full extension (e.g. standing calf raises, donkey calf raises, calf presses). When aiming for the soleus, perform calf raises that involve the bending of the knee (e.g. seated calf raises).

With all of that said though, you can do everything right and still have nothing to show for it because calves are a matter of genetics, as in whether you have high or low calf inserts and the proportion of fast- and slow-twitch muscles.

Refer to earlier posts about this sh*t on .

2 years ago '05        #74
rotstreetz 
space
space
space
Props total: 3202 3 K  Slaps total: 416 416
@ could a person obtain a lean physique by only lifting weights twice a week and adhering to a calorie deficit diet?

2 years ago '08        #75
get_ate  OP
space
space
 rotstreetz said
@ could a person obtain a lean physique by only lifting weights twice a week and adhering to a calorie deficit diet?
This is where a definition is required.

I don't know what you mean by "lean" physique.

To me, a lean physique is a muscular one, to a certain extent. It's a body that isn't that of a behemoth but you can tell is jacked in street clothes.

Operating under that definition, as well as a*suming that someone is relatively new to weight training (which logically follows that they don't ALREADY have a "lean" physique), the answer to both questions is no.

For one, lifting only twice per week isn't going to be enough volume to prompt considerable muscle growth. Lifting only twice per week, however, may be enough for an experienced lifter who's already jacked to maintain -- NOT increase -- their muscle mass, although it's not ideal.

Second, muscle is metabolically expensive. That means it requires a sh*t load of energy (i.e. calories) to build and maintain it. So if a newb only adhered to a calorie-restricted diet, they would not build muscle. Instead, the calorie-restricted diet would only help to reveal the muscle (or lack of it) they already have.

On the other hand, if you mean "lean" physique as in someone who looks like a stick figure, then yeah, that body type is indeed possible by lifting twice per week and eating at a deficit.

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+23online now  20
One regret Lebron will have in his career...
90 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+16online now  17
America's Infrastructure Is Crumbling
52 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+95online now  16
All-Star Weekend was cool but Ludacris hoodie gotta go
113 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+77online now  12
Image(s) inside Just Blaze Releases Lost Nas+Jay-Z-'The Scientist' Track...
102 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy