Mar 13 - 48 billion robocalls annoyed Americans last year

most viewed right now
63 comments @hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 weeks ago '05        #1
702 page views
45 comments

phantomnation 3118 heat pts3118
space
space
$11,100 | Props total: 48336 48336
Mar 13 - 48 billion robocalls annoyed Americans last year

HBO late-night host John Oliver called out the FCC on his show last week for the robocall problem plaguing American cellphones, drawing nationwide attention to the problem that almost every American is dealing with.

Data: Robocall Index, American Community Survey; Map: Harry Stevens/Axios

Why it matters: It's one of the most complained-about issues in America. The FCC gets roughly 200,000 complaints each year about robocalls. Nearly 48 billion robocalls were made in 2018, according to YouMail Robocall Index.

Driving the news: While the problem impacts almost every cellphone user in America, data from Robocall Index shows that area codes from certain parts of the country are much more likely to be used for robocalls.

How it works: Robocalls from certain areas in the U.S. don't necessarily reflect where the originator of the call is coming from. Often scammers use a very popular technique called "neighbor spoofing," in which they copy the area codes of local jurisdictions to make it more likely that people will pick up the phone.
•Washington, D.C., has a high population of robocalls to its population because scammers often pretend to be calling on behalf of government agencies like the IRS or ICE.
•Robocall area codes also tend to reflect highly-populated areas. Some regions, like Atlanta, and parts of the Southeast region of the U.S. and southern border states also have high percentages of robocalls mimicking those area codes.
•This could be, according to a telecom source who works very closely on the robocall issue, because robocallers tend to target vulnerable populations, like older people, immigrants and minorities.

The big picture: The FCC has prioritized the problem and has introduced new standard to tackle robocalls last month. Most of the major wireless carriers have committed to implementing standards that verify if a call is real or if it comes from a computer.

Go deeper: New efforts could reduce robocalls over the next few years

visit this link https://www.axios.com/48- .. c9ef84548.html
+4   

45 comments for "Mar 13 - 48 billion robocalls annoyed Americans last year"

2 weeks ago '10        #2
tallulahmademe 16 heat pts16
space
space
$12,938 | Props total: 18686 18686
that sh*t so fu*king irritating
+16   

2 weeks ago '15        #3
Bunkavell 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$1,445 | Props total: 4338 4338
Dude I'm not sure if it's cause I have metro, live in Miami, or they know something about my knee needing a brace that I don't. But I get these calls all the damn time
+10   

2 weeks ago '08        #4
tdnupe3 15 heat pts15
space
space
$9,063 | Props total: 27704 27704
I watched the report on this on John Oliver's show a couple of days ago. I knew it was a problem, but I didn't realize just how much of a problem it was. That sh*t is crazy and may be the reason people acutally put their phones down.
+3   

2 weeks ago '17        #5
Ncstate86 
space
space
$1,507 | Props total: 2470 2470
fu*k spam callers

What is something that will block robocallers?
+4   

2 weeks ago '06        #6
J Money B&W 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,265 | Props total: 699 699
 tdnupe3 said
I watched the report on this on John Oliver's show a couple of days ago. I knew it was a problem, but I didn't realize just how much of a problem it was. That sh*t is crazy and may be the reason people acutally put their phones down.
My personal line gets them multiple times a day Its to the point I hardly check it and only use my business phone
+3   

2 weeks ago '05        #7
phantomnation 3118 heat pts3118 OP
space
space
$11,100 | Props total: 48336 48336
 Ncstate86 said
fu*k spam callers

FTC had regulations that forbid calling cell phones. But there is no enforcement. That’s why the no-call list does not work.
+1   

2 weeks ago '09        #8
Msfourfteleven 23 heat pts23
space
space
$6,973 | Props total: 1039 1039
The big picture: The FCC has prioritized the problem and has introduced new standard to tackle robocalls last month. Most of the major wireless carriers have committed to implementing standards that verify if a call is real or if it comes from a computer.
This is why some of those robocalls come up "Scam Likely" as the caller on cells phone.

I get at least 2-3 of those per day. It's annoying but at least I can just hit the decline button when I see that.
+2   

2 weeks ago '10        #9
tallulahmademe 16 heat pts16
space
space
$12,938 | Props total: 18686 18686
 Bunkavell said
Dude I'm not sure if it's cause I have metro, live in Miami, or they know something about my knee needing a brace that I don't. But I get these calls all the damn time
aint sh*t wrong with me and i don't have no outstanding debt but them bi*ches call all damn day. I actually did it to get transferred through 1 day just to curse the operator out. bi*ch sounded so shook and apologized. I was getting ready to apologize back but she hung up in my face lol
+1   

2 weeks ago '08        #10
tdnupe3 15 heat pts15
space
space
 J Money B&W said
My personal line gets them multiple times a day Its to the point I hardly check it and only use my business phone
Seriously man. This sh*t is going to make people stop talking on the phone. They spoof numbers to look like a local number so that you'll have a higher likelihood of picking it up. I have a miami number still, but live in birmingham, so whenever I see a 786 or 305 number I don't answer it, and I block the number.

John Oliver said that it looks like the number of robo calls you receive in the future (next year) will be more than half the number of calls you receive. That sh*t will make me just not talk on the phone and only communicate via text or video call.

Last edited by tdnupe3; 03-13-2019 at 11:12 AM..
+3   

2 weeks ago '05        #11
projectd06 2 heat pts
space
space
$7,864 | Props total: 11569 11569
I never get them, but immediately after filing my taxes John Smith from the social security office called me 3 times, told dude that with all due respect there aint a single person in india names John Smith and got hung up on.
+3   

2 weeks ago '08        #12
tdnupe3 15 heat pts15
space
space
 projectd06 said
I never get them, but immediately after filing my taxes John Smith from the social security office called me 3 times, told dude that with all due respect there aint a single person in india names John Smith and got hung up on.

2 weeks ago '14        #13
Hoodsta1e11 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,684 | Props total: 2413 2413
I always get these Bull sh*t calls
they always say My name is john I'm a trip adviser with the gifting department
how are you doing today??
and even if I don't answer they leave a message on my vm, gets on my damn nerves
+1   

2 weeks ago '17        #14
KobeThompson 14 heat pts14
space
space
$7,126 | Props total: 13084 13084
pu**ys keep calling me from same area code new number each time so cant block

2 weeks ago '05        #15
Scorpz 7 heat pts
space
space
$7,123 | Props total: 35623 35623
I get these calls all day starting at 9am.. My fu*kin voicemail box is usually full cuz these a**holes keep stocking that sh*t up.. I block some numbers but they just come back with a new number..

fu*k these scanmers..

Last edited by Scorpz; 03-13-2019 at 12:01 PM..
+2   

2 weeks ago '04        #16
The_Most_H8ed 
space
space
$1,348 | Props total: 1327 1327
 Msfourfteleven said
This is why some of those robocalls come up "Scam Likely" as the caller on cells phone.

I get at least 2-3 of those per day. It's annoying but at least I can just hit the decline button when I see that.
Look at that damn map man...almost all of jersey is inside that dot lol. None come up as scam likely or possible spam because all the area codes they use are local lmao
+1   

2 weeks ago '17        #17
RayDonovan 
space
space
space
$83 | Props total: 168 168
 Bunkavell said
Lmaoo man these mufu*kas keep calling like you still need the knee brace right lol
Credit cards
Student loan debt
Healthcare and "you won a free vacation we just need 400 today"

Atleast 5x a day
+3   

2 weeks ago '05        #18
_Player2 417 heat pts417
space
space
space
$17,808 | Props total: 23164 23164
I get these calls from dirty Hispanics all the time. They don't even give me a chance to curse them out, they instantly hang up when they realize I'm mad.

2 weeks ago '17        #19
Jdog168 4 heat pts
space
space
$1,048 | Props total: 3047 3047
 Ncstate86 said
fu*k spam callers

Idk, but my Pixel has a built in call screener.

2 weeks ago '18        #20
GustavoB88 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$144 | Props total: 282 282
I get them daily n im n va.
+1   

2 weeks ago '18        #21
GustavoB88 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$144 | Props total: 282 282
 RayDonovan said
Lmaoo man these mufu*kas keep calling like you still need the knee brace right lol
Credit cards
Student loan debt
Healthcare and "you won a free vacation we just need 400 today"

Atleast 5x a day
I get those daily..n u block one they call from another

2 weeks ago '04        #22
badboy600 16 heat pts16
space
space
$5,872 | Props total: 2985 2985
Amazon Employement
Student loan debt
Medicare
Auto warranty

And that's just so far this morning
+3   

2 weeks ago '04        #23
Mumbletaker 69 heat pts69
space
space
$15,792 | Props total: 14930 14930
 Scorpz said
I get these calls all day starting at 9am.. My fu*kin voicemail box is usually full cuz these a**holes keep stocking that sh*t up.. I block some numbers but they just come back with a new number..

fu*k these scanmers..
For every call I block, two different numbers take it's place

2 weeks ago '05        #24
Scorpz 7 heat pts
space
space
$7,123 | Props total: 35623 35623
 Mumbletaker said
For every call I block, two different numbers take it's place
Earlier today was the ultimate disrespect.. the persistence was real.. never seen anything like this before.. check this out..

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

+5   

2 weeks ago '07        #25
andros06 
space
space
space
$1,166 | Props total: 787 787
Can anyone shed light on how to minimize or help ourselves out with this??? It wasn't that bad for me until the last few months.
+1   

Home      

most viewed right now
+46online now  51
Busting big nuts on this Big Butt
56 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+34online now  49
Image(s) inside Mar 24 - Man spikes coworkers’ drinks with LSD to change their ‘negati..
121 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+28online now  46
I let it soak in but "Us" wasn't it.
166 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  17
Paper work of Casanova 2x snitching surfaces