Teddy Atlas says boxing needs a ‘dictator’ like Dana White

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

7 days ago '16        #1
394 page views
24 comments

BornInvincible 1411 heat pts1411
space
space
$6,980 | Props total: 36201 36201
Teddy Atlas says boxing needs a ‘dictator’ like Dana White

As the UFC brand and MMA as a sport continue to grow, the sport of boxing finds itself still struggling to stay at the top of the combat sports world. There are several ongoing complaints in the world of boxing, and Teddy Atlas feels he has the answer to boxing’s issues.

Talking on his podcast about how fans miss out on matchups due to the politics of boxing, Atlas said the biggest change that can happen to benefit the sport is to make it more like the UFC. Atlas said the best thing for boxing to do is to get a promoter — or “dictator” — like UFC President Dana White involved.

“I’ll tell you how it changes, make boxing the UFC,” Atlas said. “Get Dana White, it’s not happening, but he’s a dictator. You know what, dictators usually are not good but sometimes in some places, they can be useful.”

Teddy Atlas would go on to say that the UFC has grown as much as it has because of Dana White’s presence and the fact that he’s able to make the rules within the UFC when it comes to make f*ghts and such.

“The UFC and the building of that product, the development, the building, and the growing of the UFC — and boy did they grow — was because they have a dictator. Because the dictator can make all the rules. There was no separate powers. There’s no one saying we are f*ghting on our network, or our network, or our network, and we do what we want to do. There was one place, one guy laying the rules out. You f*ght him, or you’re out.”

“You know what? That’s why he [Dana White] grew that sport and he grew that product because he can demand competitive f*ghts. That’s what you’re asking for. You just want competitive f*ghts, that’s all the fans are asking for. He [White] can do it, because he’s a dictator.”

Teddy Atlas has long been very vocal about his displeasure with boxing and the way they handle business in the sport. Do you agree with his opinion on Dana White and White’s handling of the UFC?

This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 3/12/2019.
+6   

24 comments for "Teddy Atlas says boxing needs a ‘dictator’ like Dana White"

Top 10 most slapped recently  7 days ago '19        #2
Bang On Em 1 heat pts
space
space
$501 | Props total: 1170 1170
Boxing needs more entertaining characters. There's no one outside of Floyd but his f*ghts are boring to watch. They need a brawler who will win on a consistent basis. Emiliano Vargas will save the sport in due time.

7 days ago '05        #3
Hold That 111 heat pts111
space
space
$40,707 | Props total: 24337 24337
Boxing just needs to reduce each weight class to just one belt. All these multiple belts in each division are ruining the sport. Boxers ducking oher boxers once they get one of the many belts in their division. They realize once that belt goes their money goes so they are less likely to put it on the line for another belt. Just have one and this problem will be eliminated.

If there’s just one belt then you’ll see more f*ghters calling each other out to get that belt.

Last edited by Hold That; 03-12-2019 at 11:38 AM..
+15   

7 days ago '17        #4
Jrblack01 1 heat pts
space
space
$331 | Props total: 1420 1420

[pic - click to view]

6 days ago '15        #5
Hellmatic 2 heat pts
space
space
$20,957 | Props total: 28754 28754
 Hold That said
Boxing just needs to reduce each weight class to just one belt. All these multiple belts in each division are ruining the sport. Boxers ducking oher boxers once they get one of the many belts in their division. They realize once that belt goes their money goes so they are less likely to put it on the line for another belt. Just have one and this problem will be eliminated.

If there’s just one belt then you’ll see more f*ghters calling each other out to get that belt.
Not gonna happen. Thats a pipe dream, too many sanctioning bodies making money from them belts. But I agree if you make one belt then the best would be forced to f*ght the best. Or Wed have the best f*ghts at least..
+4   

6 days ago '06        #6
kmstokes 
space
space
$11,464 | Props total: 2456 2456
Reduce the belts and someone like Dana white would make a difference
+1   

6 days ago '16        #7
Aztlan 108 heat pts108
space
space
$12,338 | Props total: 32664 32664
Even if you had one belt per weight class, promoters and networks aren't gonna do business with the other side. They're gonna keep the belts hostage within their promotions.
+3   

6 days ago '05        #8
space
space
 Aztlan said
Even if you had one belt per weight class, promoters and networks aren't gonna do business with the other side. They're gonna keep the belts hostage within their promotions.

I don’t think so many networks would even get involved in boxing if they didn’t have the opportunity to promote a champion. All these networks are now having an opportunity to promote a champion on their network because theirs so many due to the amount of belts.. I agree networks would attempt to hold a belt hostage but atleast their would be more pressure on that f*ghter from the contender to f*ght. Now it’s no pressure because the two rivals in most cases both have their own belts and don’t feel any sense of urgency in unifying because they don’t want to lose a belt and take a pay cut in doing so..

Now it’s an environment of, “you got your belt, and I got mine.” “If we f*ght we f*ght if not it’s no big deal let’s just keep f*ghting mandatories and use the excuse of “were just waiting to build a mega f*ght like floyd and manny” n*gga floyd and manny waited because floyd knew manny was on something not because they wanted to make fans wait.. it’s too many games being played today with bullsh*t excuses on why f*ghters aren’t f*ghting. And both networks are about making money, if n*ggas wanted to f*ght the networks aren’t the problem that’s the excuse given. The promoters are using the networks as an excuse. Since when has a network never been interested in generating millions from a mega f*ght

Last edited by Hold That; 03-13-2019 at 08:11 AM..
+4   

6 days ago '16        #9
Aztlan 108 heat pts108
space
space
 Hold That said
I don’t think so many networks would even get involved in boxing if they didn’t have the opportunity to promote a champion. All these networks are now having an opportunity to promote a champion on their network because theirs so many due to the amount of belts.. I agree networks would attempt to hold a belt hostage but atleast their would be more pressure on that f*ghter from the contender to f*ght. Now it’s no pressure because the two rivals in most cases both have their own belts and don’t feel any sense of urgency in unifying because they don’t want to lose a belt and take a pay cut in doing so
PBC, Golden Boy, and Top Rank have enough good f*ghters to still retain network exclusivity.

The belts are really only important for young f*ghters. Once you're established, you can make all the Keith Thurman vs Josesito Lopez main events you want.

But I do agree that it would create even more fan pressure to get the top guys to f*ght.
+2   

6 days ago '05        #10
space
space
 Aztlan said
PBC, Golden Boy, and Top Rank have enough good f*ghters to still retain network exclusivity.

The belts are really only important for young f*ghters. Once you're established, you can make all the Keith Thurman vs Josesito Lopez main events you want.

But I do agree that it would create even more fan pressure to get the top guys to f*ght.
The belts are good for anyone who is not a PPV draw. And there’s only 5 f*ghters in all of boxing who have potential to be a draw. In order to be a draw you have to be a champion or have had to been one. So I think it’s more important than just for younger f*ghters.

Only Canelo can say belts don’t mean sh*t for him. Nobody else in boxing can say that because nobody is that popular without the belt not even triple G.
+3   

6 days ago '05        #11
Tha TC 68 heat pts68
space
space
$8,527 | Props total: 12504 12504
 Hold That said
The belts are good for anyone who is not a PPV draw. And there’s only 5 f*ghters in all of boxing who have potential to be a draw. In order to be a draw you have to be a champion or have had to been one. So I think it’s more important than just for younger f*ghters.

Only Canelo can say belts don’t mean sh*t for him. Nobody else in boxing can say that because nobody is that popular without the belt not even triple G.
That’s a marketing problem we know America wants that “look”. IMHO only 3 f*ghters have that potential, skill, and charisma to be that “one”. Problem is 2 of them speak broken English and the other doesn’t fit the “style/look”

Lomachenko
Canelo

Caleb Plant
+1   

6 days ago '05        #12
space
space
 Tha TC said
That’s a marketing problem we know America wants that “look”. IMHO only 3 f*ghters have that potential, skill, and charisma to be that “one”. Problem is 2 of them speak broken English and the other doesn’t fit the “style/look”

Lomachenko
Canelo

Caleb Plant
I’m surprised Tank isn’t on that list because to me he has the highest potential to be a PPV draw out of any American boxer. Guy has over a 1mil social media followers right now. That sounds silly to you possibly but that’s what being a draw means. Popularity.

Canelo is already a draw there’s no potential skill or what if. He is that right now. Not sure why you got him on a lost with Loma. Canelo has made more in his last three f*ghts than Loma has in his entire career.

Last edited by Hold That; 03-13-2019 at 08:39 AM..
+2   

6 days ago '05        #13
Tha TC 68 heat pts68
space
space
 Hold That said
I’m surprised Tank isn’t on that list because to me he has the highest potential to be a PPV draw out of any American boxer. Guy has over a 1mil social media followers right now. That sounds silly to you possibly but that’s what being a draw means. Popularity.

Canelo is already a draw there’s no potential skill or what if. He is that right now. Not sure why you got him on a lost with Loma. Canelo has made more in his last three f*ghts than Loma has in his entire career.
Canelo doesn’t speak English well enough to tap into the potential of the American market and tbh he doesn’t care.

And I didn’t include Tank because of his legal issues and knowing “America” will never give him a pass and overlook them

6 days ago '05        #14
space
space
 Tha TC said
Canelo doesn’t speak English well enough to tap into the potential of the American market and tbh he doesn’t care.
and saying all of that he's still the highest paid and does the most PPV buys out of any active boxer. Nobody is writing you 200mil contracts if you aren't a draw already.

And I didn’t include Tank because of his legal issues and knowing “America” will never give him a pass and overlook them
America don't care about legal issues in boxing if you're a KO artist.. Legal issue only become an issue when getting sponsors not people buying f*ghts and filling up arenas.. It's why Mike Tyson was one of the most polarizing figures. It's not because he boxed beautifully, it's because he destroyed his opponents. Tank is no different, and he's not out of control like Tyson. Your f*ght style is what makes you a draw, if you aren't a KO artist then you better be a good talker outside the ring and undefeated inside.

Last edited by Hold That; 03-13-2019 at 11:28 AM..

6 days ago '05        #15
Tha TC 68 heat pts68
space
space
 Hold That said
America don't care about legal issues in boxing if you're a KO artist. It's why Mike Tyson was one of the most polarizing figures. It's not because he boxed beautifully, it's because he destroyed his opponents. Tank is no different, and he's not out of control like Tyson. Your f*ght style is what makes you a draw, if you aren't a KO artist then you better be a good talker outside the ring and undefeated inside.
we’re talking about Tank here…

Never outshine the master… you think someone will push him to that point

You should know why he’ll never get that push… plus the media then and now are different.

6 days ago '05        #16
space
space
 Tha TC said
we’re talking about Tank here…

Never outshine the master… you think someone will push him to that point

You should know why he’ll never get that push… plus the media then and now are different.
Floyd is on Tank d*ck right now, if you havent noticed. He's allowing tank to speak more because word is Eddie Hearn is about to make tank a lucrative offer to sign with Dazn..

Don't matter what hidden agenda Floyd has, he will lose Tank if someone puts a massive Dazn bag in front of him and Floyd is on some fu*k sh*t. Let Hearn offer Tank 100m's for a 10 f*ght deal.. Floyd wouldn't be able to keep Tank, unless he brainwashed and misguided like Broner was in rejecting that original Roc Nation deal.

Last edited by Hold That; 03-13-2019 at 11:35 AM..

6 days ago '16        #17
Aztlan 108 heat pts108
space
space
 Hold That said

Tha TC said

Lomachenko
Canelo

Caleb Plant
 Hold That said

Tha TC said

Broner is a draw.
+1   

6 days ago '18        #18
baddie 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$5,208 | Props total: 14468 14468
Him and joe rogan aren’t the same person?

6 days ago '05        #19
Tha TC 68 heat pts68
space
space
I get what Teddy is saying but he said it wrong… there needs to be a UBC (universal boxing commission/council) to ween out all the corruption and fu*k sh*t but there’s too much money in the way
+2   

6 days ago '15        #20
BamaBoy91 54 heat pts54
space
space
$17,609 | Props total: 7740 7740
That ain't happening.

That would mean all these promoters would have to give up their f*ghters

6 days ago '15        #21
BamaBoy91 54 heat pts54
space
space
$17,609 | Props total: 7740 7740
Another thing people act like UFC is the only company in MMA

6 days ago '17        #22
Que 1 heat pts
space
space
$155 | Props total: 257 257
fu*k that deluded old bi*ch.
+1   

5 days ago '14        #23
El Caballero 79 heat pts79
space
space
$29,313 | Props total: 34421 34421
I disagree with the people saying one belt per division
MMA doesn't have nearly the talent pool boxing does.

Multiple champions isn't a bad thing at all. And everyone loves unification f*ghts.

One of the many problems is the inconsistently in enforcing the mandatories, and the garbage mandatories that we get to begin with.

Nobody wants sh*t like Carlos Ocampo being mandated to f*ght Spence, or Brezeale being mandated to f*ght Wilder

5 days ago '15        #24
kami 43 heat pts43
space
space
$15,676 | Props total: 19381 19381
Mad cause don king and al haymon saved boxing.

5 days ago '04        #25
Javon23 331 heat pts331
space
space
$51,656 | Props total: 22686 22686
Actually that has been the overall problem with Boxing = too many dictators.
Boxing needs a council to regulate and accurately rank.

Home      

most viewed right now
+90online now  60
The RATCHETS in Miami Beach was CUTTING UP for Spring Break 2019.
248 comments
21 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+135online now  55
Image(s) inside Come Get Your Auntie Before I Fvck Her, Bruh
83 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+19online now  34
Image(s) inside Shorty from tory lanez video