Mar 10 - $15 Minimum Wage Laws Are Wiping Out Jobs in New York and Illinois

most viewed right now
32 comments @misc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 weeks ago '04        #26
JJH35 16 heat pts16
space
space
$2,100 | Props total: 1318 1318
 Aztlan said
Make it the federal minimum wage. Motherfu*kers won't have nowhere to run.

People are losing their jobs because execs don't wanna give up their bonuses and companies wanna fatten their war chests. That's fu*ked up.

If paying people a livable wage is not sustainable, what does that say about capitalism and the cost of living in this country?
You can believe this pile of sh*t all you want, but you have not a single clue what you are talking about or clamoring for with your buzz words. You have clearly never run a business yourself either.

2 weeks ago '04        #27
realkilla3 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,988 | Props total: 10187 10187
Survival of the fittest

You can't cut it in a new environment either pack it up or pack it in .

2 weeks ago '18        #28
Binary 103 heat pts103
space
space
$3,345 | Props total: 6220 6220
There are a bunch of jobs that do not deserve to pay 15.00 for a starting wage.

And on the other side of that coin there a bunch of jobs that you can start at 15.00 or more

I’m sure we can all agree that

McDonald’s
Starbucks
Entry level car detailers
Cashiers
Retail a*sociates
Loss prevention
Etc

Don’t deserve a 15 minimum wage.

But you can find jobs such as forklift operators, machine operators(paper mill), and other entry level jobs like those will pay 15 or above.

Here in Wisconsin, especially the fox valley area you can earn between 15.00 to 19.50 an hour for working at a paper plant and those are entry level positions.

I know by experience there are a ton of people who fled Chicago-land to come up north in Wisconsin to get paid more and taxed less.

2 weeks ago '15        #29
thirssty58 6 heat pts
space
space
$13,930 | Props total: 20539 20539
Seems to me higher wages or benefits either way someones gonna pay guess it gets shifted to the taxpayer. People need some accountability though.
+2   

2 weeks ago '05        #30
Sub Crazy 15 heat pts15
space
space
$14,081 | Props total: 3346 3346
 Fortune said
so wait ppl want 15 an hour for being a cashier? Lol wow
That's what I was thinking.

These cumbucket thots with 6 kids and 4 baby daddies do not deserve $15 an hr. You want to get paid more? Go to fu*king school and learn a skill. McDonalds, Burger Kind and Wal-Mart should not be paying that much.

If they spent as much time completing an RN program, HVAC, Culinary or something as much as they did lobbying they would find themselves in positions making more than $15 a fu*king hour. Uneducated people do not attain high wages. That's just how the fu*k it works.

1 week ago '11        #31
Darealness420 
space
space
$766 | Props total: 458 458
And that is why itís always good to learn a trade
+3   

1 week ago '09        #32
Zaosyn 264 heat pts264
space
space
$15,043 | Props total: 3135 3135
Last year I was working at a luxury dog hotel in a Chicago suburb making $9.50 a hour. Minimum wage went to a mandatory $10.50 in that city and the owners were pissed. All prices for services went up $4-5. So someone has to pay for it in some way. Whether the employees getting their hours cut or the customers paying more.
+2   

1 week ago '16        #33
Aztlan 108 heat pts108
space
space
$12,352 | Props total: 32673 32673
 JJH35 said
You can believe this pile of sh*t all you want, but you have not a single clue what you are talking about or clamoring for with your buzz words. You have clearly never run a business yourself either.
If your business can't afford to pay its employees a living wage, then a business that can will replace it.

Places like Seattle aren't devoid of essential and miscellaneous businesses, despite hiking minimum wage and accommodating small businesses with options as to how to reach the $15 minimum wage.

So no, I'm not worried about business. They'll be just fine in the long-term.
+11   

1 week ago '13        #34
jae dub 336 4 heat pts
space
space
$1,246 | Props total: 2632 2632
It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

+12   

1 week ago '12        #35
mars15 22 heat pts22
space
space
$3,118 | Props total: 14843 14843
There’s absolutely zero reason why corps can’t afford this while making billions in profits. This is straight propaganda so they can wage class warfare. Also people making $15 an hour or minimum wage, immediately invest much of their earnings back into the economy.
+18   

1 week ago '17        #36
Fortune 178 heat pts178
space
space
$7,466 | Props total: 40282 40282
 Sub Crazy said
That's what I was thinking.

These cumbucket thots with 6 kids and 4 baby daddies do not deserve $15 an hr. You want to get paid more? Go to fu*king school and learn a skill. McDonalds, Burger Kind and Wal-Mart should not be paying that much.

If they spent as much time completing an RN program, HVAC, Culinary or something as much as they did lobbying they would find themselves in positions making more than $15 a fu*king hour. Uneducated people do not attain high wages. That's just how the fu*k it works.
it's true, all true. but frfr it's dudes thinking like this too smh

1 week ago '16        #37
Birdmans Hands 4 heat pts
space
space
$3,374 | Props total: 7713 7713
 Aztlan said

People are losing their jobs because execs don't wanna give up their bonuses and companies wanna fatten their war chests. That's fu*ked up.

If paying people a livable wage is not sustainable, what does that say about capitalism and the cost of living in this country?
it says improve yourself instead of being a bumass n*gga. you're not supposed to support your family of 6 on minimum wage, it's for highschool kids

1 week ago '14        #38
Soaring Seagull 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,410 | Props total: 6264 6264
 Fortune said
so wait ppl want 15 an hour for being a cashier? Lol wow
If you're gonna raise the cost of living for them then yes you should raise the pay.
+13   

1 week ago '14        #39
space
space
 Strong Side Iso said
Like I said in another thread:

Politicians aren't fiscally realistic.

They are non financial people trying to make funny a*s numbers work when they don't. They couldn't run companies with this bum a*s logic so why the hell should they be running the country?

The problem is these people who minimun wage has to work for. Why does the MINIMUM have to work for you? Yo a*s always gonna be on the bottom being complacent with the minimum a motherfu*ker can pay you.
Well how much do you expect people to make? Think about it, if you make 15 an hour NOW then you're still probably not able to afford bills and your wage is considered a higher than the current minimum.
+4   

1 week ago '17        #40
Fortune 178 heat pts178
space
space
 Soaring Seagull said
If you're gonna raise the cost of living for them then yes you should raise the pay.
to 15 an hour for menial jobs that can be replaced by a kiosk?

if I'm opening a store and they tell me I have to pay a cashier 15 an hour, I'm going elsewhere.

1 week ago '14        #41
space
space
 Fortune said
being a cashier isn't a job that requires that level of pay honestly. it's just not.

what'll end up happening is they'll just automate most jobs with self checkout/machines

saw a fully automated gas station in Memphis. no cashiers.

if the job you have isn't the pay level you need, it's time to learn skills that pay the level that you seek.

life ain't fair. but it ain't fair to nobody, so I guess that's fair as it gets.
They'll automate jobs regardless because it saves them a dime. The "we replace people with robots because of minimum wage" argument falls apart right there. I mostly agree with your last sentence, but try to remember that in a country of 300 million people not everybody can work for what's considered higher wages.
+5   

1 week ago '04        #42
realkilla3 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,988 | Props total: 10187 10187
Meanwhile the people that voted for this sitting in a mansion with they're feet kicked up y'all wanna be mad at someone be mad at them.
+3   

1 week ago '14        #43
space
space
 Binary said
There are a bunch of jobs that do not deserve to pay 15.00 for a starting wage.

And on the other side of that coin there a bunch of jobs that you can start at 15.00 or more

Iím sure we can all agree that

McDonaldís
Starbucks
Entry level car detailers
Cashiers
Retail a*sociates
Loss prevention
Etc

Donít deserve a 15 minimum wage.

But you can find jobs such as forklift operators, machine operators(paper mill), and other entry level jobs like those will pay 15 or above.

Here in Wisconsin, especially the fox valley area you can earn between 15.00 to 19.50 an hour for working at a paper plant and those are entry level positions.

I know by experience there are a ton of people who fled Chicago-land to come up north in Wisconsin to get paid more and taxed less.
Wages should match your cost of living at a minimum. That's the bottom line for me.
+9   

1 week ago '04        #44
focused313 3 heat pts
space
space
$5,994 | Props total: 2701 2701
 Aztlan said

for corporations over a certain annual profit, I'm ok with your line of thinking.

But for a small business where the owner(s) generate less than X amount of profit, I see how changing wages can really change the bottom line.
+5   

1 week ago '14        #45
space
space
 Fortune said
to 15 an hour for menial jobs that can be replaced by a kiosk?

if I'm opening a store and they tell me I have to pay a cashier 15 an hour, I'm going elsewhere.
Let's be serious though. If you could replace a worker with a kiosk, why wouldn't you ? The answer is that you would. You think McDonald's only put up kiosks because minimum wage is climbing ? Nah. It was happening anyway because it saves money.
+8   

1 week ago '17        #46
Fortune 178 heat pts178
space
space
 Soaring Seagull said
They'll automate jobs regardless because it saves them a dime. The "we replace people with robots because of minimum wage" argument falls apart right there. I mostly agree with your last sentence, but try to remember that in a country of 300 million people not everybody can work for what's considered higher wages.
not every company has a desire to do so. but when paying menial workers higher wages bleeds them into or near the red, they are going to seek more cost effective to measures. so nah, that argument doesn't fall apart.

from a business owning perspective

trust me, ppl are going to do whatever they can to lower their overhead if they are being forced to do something.

Soaring Seagull said
Let's be serious though. If you could replace a worker with a kiosk, why wouldn't you ? The answer is that you would. You think McDonald's only put up kiosks because minimum wage is climbing ? Nah. It was happening anyway because it saves money.
simple. machines cannot offer the human element of customer service. if ppl like you they will pay you. it's one of the most over looked aspect of running a business.

but when that human element becomes too costly -- especially when the gov is trying to force their hand, then they are going to x that out and think of other ways to offer a lasting customer experience sans human.

Last edited by Fortune; 03-10-2019 at 10:41 PM..

1 week ago '17        #47
Ifeellikekobe 109 heat pts109
space
space
$7,665 | Props total: 33585 33585
 mars15 said
Thereís absolutely zero reason why corps canít afford this while making billions in profits. This is straight propaganda so they can wage class warfare. Also people making $15 an hour or minimum wage, immediately invest much of their earnings back into the economy.
The first page looks like a bunch of fox new viewers. It really is a shame to see a people repeating debunked conservative talking points. While these corporations is making billions while not paying taxes.
+11   

1 week ago '14        #48
space
space
 Fortune said
not every company has a desire to do so. but when paying menial workers higher wages bleeds them into or near the red, they are going to seek more cost effective to measures. so nah, that argument doesn't fall apart.

trust me, ppl are going to do whatever they can to lower their overhead.
But you just proved my point with your last sentence. "people are going to do what they can to lower their overheard" including replacing workers with kiosks regardless. Minimum wage is a laughable 10.10 in my state but guess what? Walmarts and m Donald's are still filling up with kiosks because it's cheaper. That's why you have to find a way to make businesses, big businesses to be exact, at least pay current employees at a decent rate.
+5   

1 week ago '17        #49
Fortune 178 heat pts178
space
space
 Soaring Seagull said
But you just proved my point with your last sentence. "people are going to do what they can to lower their overheard" including replacing workers with kiosks regardless. Minimum wage is a laughable 10.10 in my state but guess what? Walmarts and m Donald's are still filling up with kiosks because it's cheaper. That's why you have to find a way to make businesses, big businesses to be exact, at least pay current employees at a decent rate.
edited because I left out being forced.

if they so choose to want to pay ppl that then they will. If they are being forced to do so then there will be a bad reaction.

if you don't like minimum wage step your game up and left new skills. I don't really have a lot of sympathy in that regard.

1 week ago '14        #50
space
space
 Fortune said

trust me, ppl are going to do whatever they can to lower their overhead if they are being forced to do something.

simple. machines cannot offer the human element of customer service. if ppl like you they will pay you. it's one of the most over looked aspect of running a business.

but when that human element becomes too costly -- especially when the gov is trying to force their hand, then they are going to x that out and think of other ways to offer a lasting customer experience sans human.
Nah fam. "if they like you they'll pay you". If that's the case there would be no argument about liveable wages. Profit is the number one goal of a business. If they can replace you with a computer they will, period. No businessman is out here saying "well I can save 40,000 a month if I use four kiosks instead of workers, but I like them so fu*k it".
+6   

Home      

most viewed right now
+20online now  48
Spring Break aint what it used to be. IG/Thotiana Culture effect
163 comments
19 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+44online now  43
goes to my college... damn yo. Middle finger to this life fahm.
31 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
+42online now  34
GAME claps back with the quickness, straight ethers Tami Lahren
91 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+95online now  26
Rap Concerts are a weird environment