Marvel signs Destin Daniel Cretton for Phase IV's Shang-Chi

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

2 weeks ago '14        #1
1069 page views
18 comments

mumbosauce 273 heat pts273
space
space
space
$11,011 | Props total: 17010 17010
Marvel signs Destin Daniel Cretton for Phase IV's Shang-Chi

Marvel Studios has hired its director for Shang-Chi, the project that will feature the studio's first Asian lead.

Destin Daniel Cretton will direct the feature, based on the classic character known for his martial arts prowess. Cretton broke out with the 2013 indie favorite Short Term 12, which starred Brie Larson as a woman working in a group home for teenagers. Cretton reteamed with Larson for 2017's The Glass Castle, and he is currently directing the Captain Marvel star and Black Panther's Michael B. Jordan in Just Mercy, based on the memoir of Equal Justice Initiative founder Bryan Stevenson.

Other filmmakers who were in the running for Shang-Chi included Dear White People's Justin Tipping, Master of Young's Alan Yang, who is behind the upcoming John Cho movie Tigertail, and Deborah Chow, whose credits include episodes of Reign, Jessica Jones and the upcoming Star Wars Disney+ series The Mandalorian.

Shang-Chi, who in the comics is half-Chinese and half-American, first appeared in 1973ís Special Marvel Edition No. 15 and was created by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin after Marvel failed to acquire the comic book rights to the television series Kung Fu. Shang-Chi was trained as a martial artist a*sassin by his father, the infamous pulp villain Fu Manchu, but later became a hero after rebelling against his father's ways. Shang-Chi was a hit character in the '70s, and recently saw a revival as a member of The Avengers during 2012ís Marvel Now! Publishing event.

Wonder Woman 1984 screenwriter Dave Callaham is penning the script for Shang-Chi and will update the character for modern audiences. Marvel is said to be planning on a*sembling a largely Asian-American and Asian cast for this feature.

Marvel head Kevin Feige is producing, with Marvelís Louis D'Esposito, Victoria Alonso, and Jonathan Schwartz executive producing. The studio is coming off of last week's successful opening of Captain Marvel, which has already passed the $500 million mark at the box office and is the studio's first female-led outing.

News of Shang-Chi comes as Marvel eyes an end to the 11-year journey it began with 2008's Iron Man and will in some ways conclude with next month's Avengers: Endgame. Aside from Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5), the studio has not revealed its post-Endgame plans, though films it has in the works include sequels to Black Panther and Doctor Strange; a Black Widow prequel and The Eternals.

Cretton is represented by WME.
+7   

18 comments for "Marvel signs Destin Daniel Cretton for Phase IV's Shang-Chi"

Top 10 most propped recently  2 weeks ago '10        #2
Black Excellence 233 heat pts233
space
space
$71,760 | Props total: 40241 40241
Wow this is fu*king huge..

Y’all understand the significance of this?

Asians really haven’t gotten represented well on screen but Rich Asians changed up the whole game.

Not just that but a character that really isn’t known getting a film made? People talk about Iron Man & Cap America being D+ characters when they got films, Shang Chi is a fu*king Z list

This is crazy, salute to marvel.

And they got bruh from Short Term 12
+18   

2 weeks ago '16        #3
mobchip 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,737 | Props total: 5445 5445
This movie should pass 2 billion easy in china

Joking aside...its going to pass 1 billion easy
+9   

2 weeks ago '05        #4
Sluggernaut 24 heat pts24
space
space
$25,971 | Props total: 9010 9010
never even heard of him
+4   

2 weeks ago '09        #5
spider-man 1 heat pts
space
space
$402 | Props total: 69 69
I collected ALOT of Shang chi Master of kung fu books... This is going to be interesting..what a time to be alive.
+1   

2 weeks ago '04        #6
tnice 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,815 | Props total: 8461 8461

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

+9   

2 weeks ago '04        #7
GodsFavorite 108 heat pts108
space
space
space
$9,778 | Props total: 4850 4850
I didn’t realize an Asian dude directed Short Term 12...look up the cast of that movie if y’all aint seen it
+1   

2 weeks ago '17        #8
92baby 2 heat pts
space
space
$11,663 | Props total: 23168 23168
 Black Excellence said
Wow this is fu*king huge..

Yíall understand the significance of this?

Asians really havenít gotten represented well on screen but Rich Asians changed up the whole game.

Not just that but a character that really isnít known getting a film made? People talk about Iron Man & Cap America being D+ characters when they got films, Shang Chi is a fu*king Z list

This is crazy, salute to marvel.

And they got bruh from Short Term 12
Yea I hear you and everything but them folks ain't rooting for us like you giving them high praise
+7   

2 weeks ago '16        #9
Dilated 
space
space
$92 | Props total: 101 101
I need the homie sammo hung to choreograph the f*ghts in this

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

+11   

2 weeks ago '12        #10
Baron Greenback 
space
space
space
$361 | Props total: 509 509
This dude ain't even Z list...n*gga is nowhere to be found in the alphabet

Last time I think I saw Shang Chi in a Marvel comic was a side issue of World War Hulk when he was running with Misty Knight's crew. But eff it, this will do numbers in China like others have said...Marvel are all about getting that paper right now.

I'm willing to bet this gets released in Asia same day as the UK / US...no way in hell are they gonna allow the whole continent to wait to watch this on bootleg
+4   

2 weeks ago '12        #11
ezduzit 9 heat pts
space
space
$10,729 | Props total: 5938 5938
 Baron Greenback said

Last time I think I saw Shang Chi in a Marvel comic was a side issue of World War Hulk when he was running with Misty Knight's crew. But eff it, this will do numbers in China like others have said...Marvel are all about getting that paper right now.

I'm willing to bet this gets released in Asia same day as the UK / US...no way in hell are they gonna allow the whole continent to wait to watch this on bootleg
nah this has huge potential...also I hope he teaches Spider-Man martial arts at some point
+2   

2 weeks ago '17        #12
1Oh 8 heat pts
space
space
$3,381 | Props total: 17443 17443
Marvel tryin to break the bank in China.

Folks can talk sh*t now, but Shang Chi could do Black Panther numbers, and possibly higher. My only request is that they hire only the best f*ght choreographers and that the production design is top notch.
+4   

2 weeks ago '06        #13
Mintz 12 heat pts12
space
space
$6,381 | Props total: 1016 1016
Will see...looking forward to seeing less popular characters get time
+1   

2 weeks ago '16        #14
Yung Tee 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$832 | Props total: 1969 1969
 Baron Greenback said

Iím deceased
+2   

2 weeks ago '12        #15
Baron Greenback 
space
space
space
$361 | Props total: 509 509
 ezduzit said
nah this has huge potential...also I hope he teaches Spider-Man martial arts at some point
Oh yeah, he was involved in the Spider Island arc, I think?

Top 10 most propped recently  2 weeks ago '10        #16
Black Excellence 233 heat pts233
space
space
$71,760 | Props total: 40241 40241
 92baby said
Yea I hear you and everything but them folks ain't rooting for us like you giving them high praise
Thatís absolutely true, canít do anything prop your post.

For me Iíve always been intrigued by Asian culture and the lack of representation but youíre 100% correct fam.
+1   

2 weeks ago '16        #17
Boogersugar 55 heat pts55
space
space
$4,998 | Props total: 16933 16933
Incels are furious at Marvel for pandering, they've demanded that all starring roles go to white males going forward after the disastrous box office debut of Captain Marvel that they all easily predicted

For real though even as someone that collected Spider-Man comics for about a decade I've never read anything featuring this character. It's wild that Marvel has the juice to make a movie starring a character they're introducing to not only the general public but also people that have been reading Marvel a long time
+1   

2 weeks ago '17        #18
92baby 2 heat pts
space
space
$11,663 | Props total: 23168 23168
 Black Excellence said
Thatís absolutely true, canít do anything prop your post.

For me Iíve always been intrigued by Asian culture and the lack of representation but youíre 100% correct fam.
And that's the fu*ked up thing most of the black community all are being we grew up watching kung fu movies and Anime

I will go as far to say Bruce Lee is a huge icon in the black community

All we ever done was embrace most everybody but we as Black Americans continue to get sh*t on and talked about

America sh*t the world would be different without the Black American

And we'll continue to make change
They can like it or not
+2   

2 weeks ago '04        #19
xbossxplayax 
space
space
$5,604 | Props total: 3530 3530
After countless “z-list” movies that wanda & co conjured up during the past few years the communist party must have finally gotten sick of how sh!tty they all were with absolutely none to salvage so they just offed all the middlemen decided just to go straight to the top

Wouldnt expect anything other than them just pouring more money to buy out hollywood. Would not be surprised if wanda flat out buys out disney altogether by 2020

Home      

most viewed right now
+39online now  33
Image(s) inside B00ty Movement
41 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
online now  25
Peter Griffin's Stupidity Isn't Funny
96 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+29online now  21
Video inside Remember when Jay z Forbode and banned Beyonce from filming with Sean P..
76 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+127online now  12
Image(s) inside #SurvivingCardiB Spreads Across Social Media, After She Admits To Drug..
375 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy