Dec 3 - US city to pay reparations to AfricanAmerican community with tax on marijuana sale

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
+121  132
97 comments @sports
most viewed right now
+90  103
134 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 weeks ago '17        #1
3619 page views
113 comments

Jdog168 
space
space
Props total: 8028 8 K  Slaps total: 193 193
Dec 3 - US city to pay reparations to AfricanAmerican community with tax on marijuana sale

A city in Illinois has announced it will create a reparations fund for its African American community through a new tax on marijuana sales.

Recreational use of the drug will become legal in the state from January and officials in Evanston, which is 12 miles north of Chicago, have voted to approve a 3 per cent tax on the sales to fund a local reparations programme.

The tax is expected to generate between $500,000 and $750,000 annually for the reparations fund, which will be capped at $10 million over the next ten years.

The city's lawmakers will meet next week to determine exactly how the fund will be distributed, but one idea being proposed is for the money to go towards things like skills training or financial a*sistance for down payments on a home in the area.

The fund will be available to all of the city's black residents, rather than merely those who can prove they had an ancestor who was enslaved, as long as they can meet certain residency criteria.

The move comes amid a renewed national debate over whether the federal government should pay reparations to the descendants of former slaves.

Congress heard arguments on a reparations commission this summer
Congress heard arguments on a reparations commission this summer CREDIT: REUTERS
This summer the House of Representatives held a hearing on a bill which would establish a commission to study how a restitution programme would work, and several Democratic presidential candidates have indicated their support for the idea.

However polling suggests the majority of the American public opposes monetary reparations, while President Donald Trump and other senior Republicans have publicly criticised the idea.

Robin Simmons, the alderman who proposed the reparations bill, said the hope was to “implement funding to directly invest in black Evanston”.

Ms Simmons said the source of the reparations fund was fitting, given the federal government's "war on drugs" campaign disproportionately affected African Americans for several decades.

African Americans accounted for 71 per cent of all those arrested for marijuana possession in Evanston during the past three years - a trend which mirrors the national picture.

Ms Simmons added that the reparations plan would also help African Americans who have been priced out of the city by high property taxes and racially biased lending practices.

US census figures show Evanston's black population fell from around 22.5 per cent in 2000 to under 17 per cent in 2017.

“This [reparations fund] is something radical to preserve the black population and let the black community know that we see the flight,” Ms Simmons told the Washington Post

However, not all of the city's lawmakers support the measure. Alderman Thomas Suffredin voted against the proposal, arguing more detail was needed on how the funding will be dispensed.

“In a town full of financial needs and obligations, I believe it is bad policy to dedicate tax revenue from a particular source, in unknown annual amounts, to a purpose that has yet to be determined,” he said in a message to his constituents.

Ms Simmons said she wants the reparations to be distributed as direct payments to black residents, rather than “another diversity policy”.

City officials and national reparations advocates will decide on the details of the programme at a town hall meeting on December 11.

visit this link https://www.telegraph.co. .. tax-marijuana/
+38   

best
worst
113 comments

2 weeks ago '18        #2
SFamilyRep  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 43104 43 K  Slaps total: 5708 5 K
Capped at $10 million? Are they really saying they'll only be will to go up to $10 million? If I'm not mistaken, Illinois has been particularly involved in the imprisonment/enslavement of black people.

Edit: just pulled some additional info & the numbers a fu*king crazy aka r*pe

All cannabis-infused products are taxed at 20 percent of the purchase price. Other cannabis with a THC level of 35 percent or less is taxed at 10 percent of the purchase price. Cannabis with a THC level of greater than 35 percent is taxed at 25 percent of the purchase price.

The Cannabis Purchaser Excise Tax must be stated separately on customers’ bills. It is also worth noting that the Cannabis Purchaser Excise Tax is not a portion of the tax base used for calculation of the Retailers’ Occupation Tax, aka sales tax, on cannabis purchases. Sales of cannabis to end users are still subject to all general state and local retailers’ occupation taxes. The state tax rate is currently 6.25 percent of the selling price and local tax rates obviously vary by location.

The Cannabis Purchaser Excise Tax is also required to be electronically reported to the IDOR under requirements that mirror those for cultivators.

Another point to be mindful of is that the legislation contains a specific prohibition of bundling cannabis sales with non-cannabis products. In other words, cannabis retailers cannot bundle sales of cannabis with smoking paraphernalia.

HB 1438 also imposes two new local retailers’ occupation taxes on cannabis sales to end users. The first is the Cannabis County Retailers’ Occupation Tax. The tax can be imposed in .25 percent increments, and the maximum tax rate that may be imposed by a county depends on the seller’s location. Sales in an unincorporated area of a county may be taxed at a maximum rate of 3.75 percent. Sales made in a municipality located in a home rule county, namely Cook County, may be taxed at a maximum rate of 3 percent. Sales made in a municipality in a non-home rule county (every county other than Cook) may be taxed at a maximum rate of .75 percent. These county taxes are also collected and enforced by the IDOR.

The legislation also authorizes the imposition of the Municipal Cannabis Retailers’ Occupation Tax. These taxes can be imposed in .25 percent increments up to 3 percent of gross receipts.

In effort to satiate Illinois’ craving for legal cannabis revenues and the broader social and economic benefits of a newly legal industry, the Illinois General a*sembly has attempted to develop a recreational cannabis taxing scheme that will maximize state and local revenues. At the same time, the state is attempting to avoid setting tax rates that are so high that, when combined with the cost of cannabis, consumers continue to find black-market cannabis more attractive from a price standpoint. We will have to wait and see whether the drafters of the taxes got it right.

Last edited by SFamilyRep; 12-03-2019 at 12:07 PM..
+25   

2 weeks ago '06        #3
philly337 
space
space
Props total: 24574 24 K  Slaps total: 6139 6 K
Good idea...but at 750k per year itd be about $60 per year based on what Google says popukation of blacks are in the city
+23   

2 weeks ago '19        #4
Dark Cobra  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
Props total: 10994 10 K  Slaps total: 1141 1 K
 SFamilyRep said
Capped at $10 million. Are they really saying they'll only be will to go up to $10 million? If I'm not mistaken, Illinois has been particularly involved in the imprisonment/enslavement of black people.
Their white supremacist police force k*lled Chairman Fred Hampton also
+38   

2 weeks ago '18        #5
SFamilyRep  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 43104 43 K  Slaps total: 5708 5 K
 Dark Cobra said
That's EXACTLY what I was referring
+16   

2 weeks ago '18        #6
Lord God  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 33088 33 K  Slaps total: 2681 2 K
 philly337 said
Good idea...but at 750k per year itd be about $60 per year based on what Google says popukation of blacks are in the city
Well that math a*sumes every resident will partake in skills training and down payment a*sistance on a home.
+5   

2 weeks ago '10        #7
Frasier  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 12957 12 K  Slaps total: 13881 13 K

Reparations.

REPARATIONS!?

2 weeks ago '05        #8
YoungHope 
space
space
Props total: 3369 3 K  Slaps total: 377 377
Definitely will end up being another diversity program if funds are not directly given to black residents.
It's like letting hunters pick which zoo a bear cub 'wants' to go to after k*lling his whole family
+11   

2 weeks ago '06        #9
philly337 
space
space
Props total: 24574 24 K  Slaps total: 6139 6 K
 Frasier said

Reparations.

REPARATIONS!?

Here comee the racist
+25   

2 weeks ago '18        #10
space
space
 Frasier said

Reparations.

REPARATIONS!?

Tell me again why I should reward a party with my vote that laughs at efforts to pay a debt.
+13   

2 weeks ago '10        #11
space
space
 Lord God said
Tell me again why I should reward a party with my vote that laughs at efforts to pay a debt.
Tell me why people who never owned slaves, should pay people who were never slaves.

Tell me why a piece of paper suddenly makes your ancestors suffering all better. fu*k that GOVT piece of paper. It doesn't really change sh*t.

Last edited by Frasier; 12-03-2019 at 01:22 PM..

2 weeks ago '10        #12
Bandito 
space
space
Props total: 33777 33 K  Slaps total: 4637 4 K
 Dark Cobra said
Fred Hampton was a*sassinated in Chicago. Not Evanston.

I said this in a thread a couple weeks ago. Reparations should be sought on a local level.

I used the example of Birmingham, Alabama.

Here's the only evidence you need for an argument for reparations from that city.

I am pretty sure people have seen those images before of people getting hit with water hoses and dogs. They were school children.

The Children's Crusade was a controversial episode of themodern civil rights movement and the 1963 Birmingham Campaign in which African American school children marched for desegregation.

On April 29, 1963, King convened an emergency meeting of the ACMHR-SCLC Central Committee to discuss the campaign's impending collapse if they did not change their tactics and attract more volunteers. During this meeting, leaders James Bevel and Ike Reynolds mentioned the 150 or so adolescent volunteers who had participated in the campaign and who were eager to contribute toward its success. Previously, King and other civil rights leaders had refused to allow school-aged children to participate in their efforts. Many found the suggestion of exposing children to the violence of Commissioner of Public Safety T. Eugene "Bull" Connor's police force morally reprehensible. During the meeting, King wavered on the issue of child demonstrators as the Central Committee argued against Bevel and Reynolds' proposal. Nevertheless, Bevel and Reynolds convinced King to allow them to host a rally on May 2 in which adolescents would skip school and join together at several local churches.

Bevel immediately began to advertise the event, which he billed as a youth "summit meeting," rather than a "rally" or "march," to avoid any controversy surrounding the participation of school-aged marchers. In particular, Bevel recruited popular African American students, such as athletes and prom queens, reasoning that these individuals could most effectively motivate and unify Birmingham's adolescent population around the school boycott so as to make it more effective.

Those kids would be in their 60's and 70's right now.

That gets rid of the argument that "you were not even alive during slavery" that dumbfu*ks always trot out.
+17   

2 weeks ago '18        #13
space
space
 Frasier said
Tell me why people who never owned slaves, should pay people who were never slaves.

Tell me why a piece of paper suddenly makes your ancestors suffering all better. fu*k that GOVT piece of paper. It doesn't really change sh*t.

Tell me why people that don't have kids pay for public school. Cry me a river.

The fruits of your labor are possible due to the foundation in which this country was founded upon.
+26   

2 weeks ago '07        #14
GrezyNclean 
space
space
Props total: 1528 1 K  Slaps total: 237 237
When it comes to reparations, obtaining the money (in my opinion) isn't really the problem, its dispersing the money and deciding who it goes to and why....That is when sh*t will get ugly.

The EXACT same thing happened during reconstruction. America was able to decide what former slaves were to receive (40 acres, a mule and a stipend), but when it came down to dispersing the money that's when sh*t went to hell
+10   

2 weeks ago '10        #15
space
space
 Lord God said
Tell me why people that don't have kids pay for public school. Cry me a river.

The fruits of your labor are possible due to the foundation in which this country was founded upon.
I'll agree to one reparation check to people with direct connections to slaves.

After those checks go out, if any person mentions racism or uses the race card they get the death penalty. Sound fair?

2 weeks ago '16        #16
OWPE 
space
space
Props total: 18734 18 K  Slaps total: 26172 26 K
Terrible idea. These democrat states dont know what they doing.

2 weeks ago '12        #17
OldBusiness 
space
space
Props total: 81160 81 K  Slaps total: 5755 5 K
Look at the local two teeth having, wife whose never satisfied at home type, broke a*s bigot @

Aye @ your wife sucked me off in a Church's Chicken line and I dropped the bi*ch off at an abandoned Kmart parking lot
+14   

2 weeks ago '16        #18
l3altimore7  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 3833 3 K  Slaps total: 431 431
Haitians paid France for ending their own enslavement & k*lling Frenchmen in the process
+14   

2 weeks ago '10        #19
space
space
 OldBusiness said
Look at the local two teeth having, wife whose never satisfied at home type, broke a*s bigot @

Aye @ your wife sucked me off in a Church's Chicken line and I dropped the bi*ch off at an abandoned Kmart parking lot
Your wife sucked me off while I ate unseasoned chicken and wore Air Monarchs.

2 weeks ago '06        #20
DominicanLou 
space
space
Props total: 8724 8 K  Slaps total: 429 429
 Frasier said
I'll agree to one reparation check to people with direct connections to slaves.

After those checks go out, if any person mentions racism or uses the race card they get the death penalty. Sound fair?
for the umpteenth time, reparations is not a check.
+7   

2 weeks ago '14        #21
PolarBear 
space
space
Props total: 8584 8 K  Slaps total: 4464 4 K
Essentially free weed.

2 weeks ago '06        #22
DominicanLou 
space
space
Props total: 8724 8 K  Slaps total: 429 429
 l3altimore7 said
Haitians paid France for ending their own enslavement & k*lling Frenchmen in the process
France sent Haiti a bill for loss and damages because they got their a*s kicked. They wanted compensation & restitution for all the plantation owners in exchange for acknowledging Haiti's independence from them. Aint that bi*ch? And that bill turned into a "debt". Pretty much stopped the country in its tracks for at least a century, as monies that wouldve went towards infrastructure, development etc went towards paying down the "debt".

Haitians first paid with their bodies, as slaves. Now their sons and daughters are paying in a different way. Today Haiti is asking France for reparations.

I feel like this is why I see so many Haitian-Americans supporting reparations for ADOS/African Americans.
+16   

2 weeks ago '05        #23
old head  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
Props total: 31249 31 K  Slaps total: 2360 2 K
 Frasier said

Reparations.

REPARATIONS!?

Frasier said

+28   

2 weeks ago '17        #24
Hurricane 
space
space
Props total: 1840 1 K  Slaps total: 517 517
Don’t know if someone asked this but what is the criteria? Seems shaky. They may give you the money for exchange for a microchip being inserted into your wrist. 5G is coming
+3   

2 weeks ago '04        #25
xbossxplayax 
space
space
Props total: 5965 5 K  Slaps total: 1448 1 K
Will never b enough and they gon blow it all on drugs anyways oh wait what if we have drug sales fund it....

There u have it
+3   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+61online now  40
Image(s) inside Dame got it right but Choke broke it down about R.O.C. Nation
107 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  28
People are fed up with the sky-high cost of smartphones
58 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
online now  27
Dec 13 - A 51-year-old man who violently attacked two children inside a Lodi T..
64 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  11
Video inside SMACK/URL - SMACK Volume 5 [DISCUSSION THREAD/LIVE UPDATES]
349 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy