Dec 1 - “Black Friday is Dying”: Shopping Malls Turn to “Ghost Towns” Amid Online Shift

most viewed right now
+71  80
79 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 weeks ago '06        #1
2636 page views
66 comments

RAZAH CUTS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x15
space
space
Props total: 47639 47 K  Slaps total: 7252 7 K
Dec 1 - “Black Friday is Dying”: Shopping Malls Turn to “Ghost Towns” Amid Online Shift

Millennials would rather "Netflix and chill" while surfing for deals on their mobile devices.

Black Friday is undergoing a transformative period where consumers are ditching brick-and-mortar stores for online shopping.

Reuters noted Friday, that traffic volumes at stores across the country on Thanksgiving eve were soft—and it’s likely the trend will continue through the weekend.

Another report via KeyBanc Capital Markets found traffic “somewhat muted at malls” during Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

KeyBanc’s analyst Edward Yruma attributed the decline to more online sales. KeyBanc’s note said Gap, Banana Republic, Express and Zara offered 50% discounts, but that still wasn’t enough to attract shoppers.

Though traffic was steady at Walmart, Target, and Lululemon.

As of noon, Salesforce.com observed online sales of $7.4 billion on Black Friday, 16% higher than a year ago.

“It speaks to the fact that we’re amidst this digital transformation that’s happening for both the consumers and the retailers,” Rob Garf, vice president of industry strategy and insights at Salesforce, told Bloomberg.

Some other possible reasons behind the weak turn out could be due retailers already offered an entire month of aggressive sales leading up to Black Friday. There are often limitations of how much a consumer can purchase as credit card rates soar to 25-year highs.

The National Retail Federation (NRF) polled consumers earlier this month who said most of their shopping has already been done, many of whom took advantage of the deals leading up to Black Friday.

NRF said retail sales for November through December are expected to increase by 3.8% to 4.2% YoY, for a total of around $730 billion, but a larger portion could be coming from e-commerce.

Another reason for the softer turn out could be generational trends. As millennials take over the workforce, they don’t want to follow in the footsteps of their ‘OK Boomer’ parents who have been herded like sheep into stores for decades. Millennials would rather “Netflix and chill” while surfing for deals on their mobile devices.

There’s also evidence that the US economy is rapidly slowing and the US consumer is pulling back on spending as a recession could be nearing. The chart below shows the industrial recession has likely transmitted weakness into the consumer, which could produce a rather weak holiday spending period.

As for some evidence of consumers ditching brick-and-mortar stores this Black Friday, we turn to Twitter:

And to get an idea of what Black Friday used to look like before the consumer went broke and the internet came around… Here are a few short minutes of f*ghts, stampedes, riots, and utter chaos, all over cheap plastic junk that was mostly made in China.

visit this link https://themindunleashed. .. day-dying.html
+1   

best
worst
66 comments

2 weeks ago '19        #2
Djay2020 
space
space
space
Props total: 195 195  Slaps total: 41 41
Millennials k*lling everything

2 weeks ago '05        #3
Danger Zone 
space
space
Props total: 28512 28 K  Slaps total: 1163 1 K
Sheit not in my gotdamn city it didnt. sh*t was a warzone. I got caught in the crossfire
+30   

2 weeks ago '11        #4
megalomaniacal 
space
space
Props total: 9988 9 K  Slaps total: 1311 1 K
 Djay2020 said
internet k*lling everything financially and socially,

Millinenials just take advantage of it
+16   

2 weeks ago '14        #5
Daptism 
space
space
space
Props total: 31446 31 K  Slaps total: 5741 5 K
 Djay2020 said
Ok boomer.
+18   

2 weeks ago '18        #6
DUCEDUCE 
space
space
Props total: 21532 21 K  Slaps total: 2025 2 K
Im in LA sh*t was packed everywhere. But one thing I did notice all the black friday deals were just there. Retailers are just making it another shopping day, not like before.
+12   

2 weeks ago '05        #7
Based_One 
space
space
Props total: 14783 14 K  Slaps total: 1185 1 K
This sh*t a fu*king lie. Malls were booming by me.
+15   

2 weeks ago '16        #8
Strong Side Iso 
space
space
Props total: 15827 15 K  Slaps total: 2735 2 K
That twitter photo of Macy's is such a lie.

Its a photo from 7:40 in the morning.

And Macy's was open on Thanksgiving. That's when the Black Friday sale started.
+14   

2 weeks ago '05        #9
blah blah blah  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
Props total: 59727 59 K  Slaps total: 56470 56 K
Only bums and dumbasses flood malls
+3   

2 weeks ago '05        #10
pnoi89 
space
space
Props total: 12146 12 K  Slaps total: 1366 1 K
 Based_One said
This sh*t a fu*king lie. Malls were booming by me.
Where you live doesn't represent the entire country. In my area in Denver, sh*t was booming too; however, gotta remember that "average America" looks like this:

+16   

2 weeks ago '15        #11
naledgestate 
space
space
Props total: 8062 8 K  Slaps total: 470 470
 Strong Side Iso said
That twitter photo of Macy's is such a lie.

Its a photo from 7:40 in the morning.

And Macy's was open on Thanksgiving. That's when the Black Friday sale started.
Of course they gotta be extra in selling their point.

That still doesn't take away the fact that malls are slowly dying
+3   

2 weeks ago '15        #12
MemphisBleek 
space
space
Props total: 3832 3 K  Slaps total: 1877 1 K
The problem isn’t online shopping. Retail has taken the life out of Black Friday. It use to be a event. You would do it with friends and family just to have a good time and see the f*ghts. Now the door busters and sales start the Sunday before the main event starts at like 5pm on Thanksgiving. Remember when consumers were complaining about the stores starting the sale earlier and earlier? They wouldn’t listen and kept starting them earlier and was offering limited stock to get people in the store.

Greed
+14   

2 weeks ago '13        #13
Flow Mo88  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 3098 3 K  Slaps total: 1196 1 K
Who wants to go out and shop with a bunch of animals?

Idiots act like wild rabid dogs on days like that, but would be all up in arms and begging and pleading if you decided to drop them off in the middle of the jungle where they can be animals with real animals. Act crazy and wild with them, nah you don't want that though huh?

I don't get it

Last edited by Flow Mo88; 12-02-2019 at 12:43 PM..
+14   

2 weeks ago '15        #14
amarti9 
space
space
space
Props total: 5672 5 K  Slaps total: 445 445
Eliminate Student debt

Wage growth should be on Pace with cost of living.

Remove bad credit reporting from 7 to 5 years.

Make credit scoring/history mandatory curriculum for all Junior and seniors in high school.
+19   

2 weeks ago '14        #15
guccibandana 
space
space
Props total: 1435 1 K  Slaps total: 482 482
People get smarter, and also less money
+2   

2 weeks ago '11        #16
Wes10 
space
space
Props total: 346 346  Slaps total: 43 43
if I was in management in retail...like high level....I'd jump ship now and get my a*s in in management of online retail distribution or some sh*t. let the young bucks have the dying brick and mortar scraps.
+2   

2 weeks ago '05        #17
pnoi89 
space
space
 amarti9 said
Eliminate Student debt

Wage growth should be on Pace with cost of living.

Remove bad credit reporting from 7 to 5 years.

Make credit scoring/history mandatory curriculum for all Junior and seniors in high school.
Aside on emphasizing this with the children, the rest does not address and will only enable the inept general public into repeating the same process with their financial illiteracy.
+2   

2 weeks ago '05        #18
pnoi89 
space
space
 guccibandana said
People get smarter, and also less money
Or they’re just spending it online.
+1   

2 weeks ago '06        #19
"SS" 
space
space
Props total: 18387 18 K  Slaps total: 1281 1 K
Every news outlet is reporting the biggest black Friday numbers ever...so idk about this one
+4   

2 weeks ago '14        #20
OCT DION 
space
space
Props total: 22147 22 K  Slaps total: 2411 2 K
I went to the mall a month ago and that hoe was packed.

2 weeks ago '17        #21
lucifershammer 
space
space
Props total: 34495 34 K  Slaps total: 3625 3 K
I think people go to the mall to socialize then to actually buy stuff. I read somewhere that the average purchase per mall visit was $20
+1   

2 weeks ago '05        #22
BurninLz 
space
space
Props total: 5321 5 K  Slaps total: 376 376
I made out like a fu*king champ. Physical stores damn near going outta business with deals plus you throw black friday on top, they were practically giving sh*t away
+2   

2 weeks ago '05        #23
pnoi89 
space
space
 lucifershammer said
I think people go to the mall to socialize then to actually buy stuff. I read somewhere that the average purchase per mall visit was $20
$20 per person per visit is a lot of money. I rarely spend any money when I go out unless I’m getting my monthly free truffle at Godiva, free triple espresso and Nespresso, freebies at Chick-Fil-A, or I found some slick 90% off deals.
+1   

2 weeks ago '05        #24
pnoi89 
space
space
 BurninLz said
I made out like a fu*king champ. Physical stores damn near going outta business with deals plus you throw black friday on top, they were practically giving sh*t away
Same. After cashback, rebates, Kohl’s cash, etc., I stocked up on enough wedding gifts, housewarming gift, etc. for the next decade, all to net out at around $0 out of pocket at the end of the day.
+2   

2 weeks ago '10        #25
eightytyson06 
space
space
Props total: 14064 14 K  Slaps total: 1105 1 K
I stayed in crib and did a little online shopping but deals were horrible I had tabs open on my computer of items I wanted and just for kicks and giggles I refreshed those same items and price went up with the discount
+3   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+170online now  18
Image(s) inside 80s & Early 90s Babies: Part ii...
205 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  11
Star Wars: Rise Of Skywalker leaks have hit the web (Rey is...... *SPOILER*)
63 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  10
Video inside Switch That Turns GLOCK Into Mini-Machine Gun Showing Up in Chiraq!!!
73 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
-26online now  4
Image(s) inside Eminem’s has a weak lineup of bodies
303 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy