Anyone seen QUEEN & SLIM?

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

New replies show every 10 seconds
 3 days ago '19        #126
pxssykxlla 
space
space
space
Props total: 307 307  Slaps total: 131 131
Black people aren't tired of these kinds of movies yet? Like, ain't being black in America already a daily boot to the throat? We wanna turn off the news and turn on a movie showing us exactly what the news did? I'm sorry, I love Lena and support her to the end but gotdamn I don't have any bandwidth for 'entertainment' like this.

Can I see some black happiness that's Tyler Perry free?
+2   

3 days ago '07        #127
Avon_Barksdale  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x17
space
space
Props total: 114297 114 K  Slaps total: 12036 12 K
 QuietPack said
Anyone got a link for research? Couldn't find this morning
Go support it g, damn!

3 days ago '19        #128
blackthorn 
space
space
space
Props total: 279 279  Slaps total: 40 40
 SiqkWidaPen said
Think realistically how many incidents have we seen black ppl get k*lled by police with no remorse you’re crazy if you think they would have got off... they’d call them the aggressors for not agreeing/cooperating with the police...

The ending runs with the “fear for my life” narrative that most cops run with with facing black ppl add to the fact that they were already on the run...

Bruh y’all k*lling me
How many times has there been 100% clear footage from the entire incident that was unobstructed? Never. Because sh*tty cops are smart enough muddy up the evidence enough to give themselves the benefit of the doubt.

Yes they would have gotten off. ESPECIALLY with the extent of the cooperation. They cooperated so much it's impossible for the footage not to be in their favor. It's bad writing. And it's written so poorly that your post does not even apply. Thats the point of what I'm saying. If it was written better... you'd have a point.

And even so. The entire situation was exacerbated by how sh*tty a lawyer she was. She literally made everything worse... because she was acting like she didn't know wtf she was doing.

Last edited by blackthorn; 12-02-2019 at 10:12 PM..

3 days ago '19        #129
blackthorn 
space
space
space
Props total: 279 279  Slaps total: 40 40
 Johnny Cinco said
You living in a fairytale if you think the footage would play in they favor
The footage would play in their favor. It was written to be so. Once again... that's my point.

Plus. It's a fu*king movie. The whole thing is a fu*king a fairytale.
+2   

3 days ago '06        #130
DJ Endo 
space
space
Props total: 866 866  Slaps total: 89 89
Wasn't feeling it. Typical woe is me/I'm a poor black person in America type of movie.

I feel like we have enough of these already. We don't need no more "awareness". We been knowing cops shoot n*ggas for nothing. And the ending really just pissed me off.
+3   

3 days ago '17        #131
Tony Outlaw 
space
space
Props total: 3275 3 K  Slaps total: 626 626
To the people who seen it, is it better than 21 Bridges?

3 days ago '07        #132
ototo7 
space
space
space
Props total: 4030 4 K  Slaps total: 384 384
 dymablink said
But why the white guy have then address to
[spoiler - click to view]

3 days ago '17        #133
1Oh 
space
space
Props total: 23051 23 K  Slaps total: 938 938
It was aiiight. The movie had some good cinematography, I really liked the soundtrack, had some good character moments, and i was rooting for the two leads by the end.

But Queen? I disliked her a*s for 90% of the movie. She was on some bullsh*t alot of the time, talking outta turn. It took a murder and running for their lives for her to start acting right and respecting Slim as a human being, which isnt worth the trouble in hindsight. And I also didnt understand why she chose to run from the law, cuz she didnt pull the trigger and had no ties to Slim at the time. It was like she just wanted to do some wild sh*t.

The hyper misogynistic fat dad and his son was unnecessary, cartoonish, and dumb. I ain't never met a nicca that publicly ignorant among strangers in my life. Just ranting about wives and hoes. Everybody in the theater was simply puzzled like why is this in the movie?

Another wild choice was the protester kid character arc. It was cool until

wild unnecessary.

The two creative choices above makes me feel like the filmmakers are trying to send a message that black ppl are fools in the face of injustice & oppression. That tragedy fuels the ignorant, particularly in the black community.

Then the white gas station cashier part? Madd puzzling. I would understand this scene in the context of Slim not wanting to live anymore, but it was too early in the movie for that. So to simply give the cashier you're robbing your gun in exchange for gas??? Why tho, cuz Slim is green as a criminal?? And then the cashier gives the gun back, lets them get free gas, and lets them bounce. It's just odd.

And by the end, the message I got from it all is that

Like wtf.

The visuals and the concept is there for Queen & Slim, but alot of the other sh*t is just a mess.
+3   

3 days ago '06        #134
Celsius 
space
space
Props total: 3310 3 K  Slaps total: 881 881
Here’s my question:

What ending did people expect or want?

Because I see everyone online and on Boxden and Twitter and they didn’t like the ending and had issues with the storyline.

I went and saw it like a month ago, so I didn’t see huge gaping issues until now when people are pointing it out.

What would y’all have liked?

3 days ago '17        #135
1Oh 
space
space
Props total: 23051 23 K  Slaps total: 938 938
 Celsius said
Here’s my question:

Because I see everyone online and on Boxden and Twitter and they didn’t like the ending and had issues with the storyline.

I went and saw it like a month ago, so I didn’t see huge gaping issues until now when people are pointing it out.

But it all seemed like a setup that went nowhere or was scrapped late in the game.

And for me, the ending that we got solved nothing.

+1   

3 days ago '16        #136
Negusis 
space
space
space
Props total: 13377 13 K  Slaps total: 2055 2 K
Old school maps would've been the smart thing

3 days ago '16        #137
hakim1 
space
space
space
Props total: 532 532  Slaps total: 43 43
I didn't think they'd make it. But the whole reason they were on the run was because a cop got trigger happy. So for it to come full circle and both of them to die because a cop got trigger happy was just a special kinda bullsh*t. And both times it's on camera and both times the reaction is a collective shrug. It felt like a BLM wet dream. It felt cheap and unearned.

I don't think there was a lot of character development, outside of queen calming down a bit and the character of the world around them just went crazy for no reason.

I really enjoyed watching them just live it up while on the run.
Endings that would've been better:

They get k*lled running as they get more desperate and as more people want the money and you feel the walls close in
OR
Public opinion shifts in their favor and they decide to try their case in the public or in the court. I think this one would've been pretty exciting. They hide in plain sight and leave messages that tout their innocence and the law and how evil that cop was and the public protests back them up. We can see them go to jail and how they get treated, or eventually get off, or not hear what happens but they really do become immortal.
OR
They split up and Queen remembers the (presumed dead -- maybe he is) Slim with his family
OR
They get to Cuba and realize there's nothing for them there and they're stateless/they start an okay life but still look over their shoulder
OR
Thanos snaps away Queen.

There were a lot of better possible endings. The writing just got lazy. It was easy to suspend disbelief til the third act when nothing made sense.

Celsius said
Here’s my question:

3 days ago '10        #138
Daytona5000 
space
space
space
Props total: 1418 1 K  Slaps total: 90 90
Fat hoodrich Pablo Juan tho smfhhhhh

3 days ago '15        #139
Preacher Mane 
space
space
Props total: 36787 36 K  Slaps total: 2419 2 K
 hakim1 said
I didn't think they'd make it. But the whole reason they were on the run was because a cop got trigger happy. So for it to come full circle and both of them to die because a cop got trigger happy was just a special kinda bullsh*t. And both times it's on camera and both times the reaction is a collective shrug. It felt like a BLM wet dream. It felt cheap and unearned.

I don't think there was a lot of character development, outside of queen calming down a bit and the character of the world around them just went crazy for no reason.

I really enjoyed watching them just live it up while on the run.
Endings that would've been better:

They get k*lled running as they get more desperate and as more people want the money and you feel the walls close in
OR
Public opinion shifts in their favor and they decide to try their case in the public or in the court. I think this one would've been pretty exciting. They hide in plain sight and leave messages that tout their innocence and the law and how evil that cop was and the public protests back them up. We can see them go to jail and how they get treated, or eventually get off, or not hear what happens but they really do become immortal.
OR
They split up and Queen remembers the (presumed dead -- maybe he is) Slim with his family
OR
They get to Cuba and realize there's nothing for them there and they're stateless/they start an okay life but still look over their shoulder
OR
Thanos snaps away Queen.

There were a lot of better possible endings. The writing just got lazy. It was easy to suspend disbelief til the third act when nothing made sense.
Thanos snaps away Queen

2 days ago '06        #140
SM  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1 OP
space
space
Props total: 137678 137 K  Slaps total: 28266 28 K
 DeadPresident said
The movie pushed me off... they could’ve been to Cuba a day earlier if they stopped trying to check things off they’re bucket list lol.

“Ooh let’s stop and ride a horse we may never do it again.”
Yeah sh*t was dumb but I still liked the movie

2 days ago '06        #141
Kingme 
space
space
Props total: 14531 14 K  Slaps total: 2770 2 K
 1Oh said
It was aiiight. The movie had some good cinematography, I really liked the soundtrack, had some good character moments, and i was rooting for the two leads by the end.

But Queen? I disliked her a*s for 90% of the movie. She was on some bullsh*t alot of the time, talking outta turn. It took a murder and running for their lives for her to start acting right and respecting Slim as a human being, which isnt worth the trouble in hindsight. And I also didnt understand why she chose to run from the law, cuz she didnt pull the trigger and had no ties to Slim at the time. It was like she just wanted to do some wild sh*t.

The hyper misogynistic fat dad and his son was unnecessary, cartoonish, and dumb. I ain't never met a nicca that publicly ignorant among strangers in my life. Just ranting about wives and hoes. Everybody in the theater was simply puzzled like why is this in the movie?

Another wild choice was the protester kid character arc. It was cool until

wild unnecessary.

The two creative choices above makes me feel like the filmmakers are trying to send a message that black ppl are fools in the face of injustice & oppression. That tragedy fuels the ignorant, particularly in the black community.

Then the white gas station cashier part? Madd puzzling. I would understand this scene in the context of Slim not wanting to live anymore, but it was too early in the movie for that. So to simply give the cashier you're robbing your gun in exchange for gas??? Why tho, cuz Slim is green as a criminal?? And then the cashier gives the gun back, lets them get free gas, and lets them bounce. It's just odd.

And by the end, the message I got from it all is that

Like wtf.

The visuals and the concept is there for Queen & Slim, but alot of the other sh*t is just a mess.
You nailed it

Movie was straight but at no point in the film did Queen or Slim seem American (they was legit making Michael Blackson faces during some parts) but maybe that's because outside of the old folks at the lounge and the cops, 99% of the Black characters were ignorant or portraying negative stereotypes in this film.
+1   

2 days ago '16        #142
KWizzle 
space
space
Props total: 12517 12 K  Slaps total: 1066 1 K
 Doomque said
Movie was great from a cinematography standpoint. Score and visuals perfect. However, this movie paints us in a light that reinforces stereotypes.
1. Stupidly tragic decisions from the very beginning.
2. Our community banding behind criminals foolishly.
3. Our youth looking up to criminals and committing crimes because they admire what was done.
4. We are gonna sell each other out.

The writing could have been better and had a story that painted us in a better light without reinforcing stereotypes. Non-minorities will leave that theatre with the same beliefs they had from the beginning.

The director out here calling this a "revolutionary film". Nah this ain't it. You have got to change the narrative and I don't think this helps at all.
Gotta disagree to an extent
1.no one trully knows what to do in that situation cuz we havent been in the situation but for those who survived near death situations always what to do things they thought would never get the chance to do so i think that made sense

2.black ppl didnt get behind them because they was criminals they got behind them because they were victims of a system they know all to well

3.again they were victims not criminals in the eyes of the youth in that movie not only that victims that fought back and they used it as empowerment

4. Thats not true cause we there was plenty of black ppl that helped them the cop the mechanic the whole night club so again one bad apple aint reinforcing that narrative

2 days ago '16        #143
KWizzle 
space
space
Props total: 12517 12 K  Slaps total: 1066 1 K
 j-gip said
It was meh. A lot of unrealistic situations.

n*ggas on the run and decide to get some food and eat it on the back of the truck lol Going horseback riding and hitting up a club while on the run. It was silly

They also reinforced a lot of black stereotypes(outside of Queen and Slim). The pimp uncle, the father calling his wife a hoe and cursing out his son, the young boy k*lling the black cop for no reason, the black mechanic who blamed Queen and Slim for what happened, and the typical black man who sells out his people for money.

The acting was solid, but the script was far from "pro black". The endng was predictable and bad too. I'm just tired of seeing black horror stories.
I dont get what kind of movie ppl wanted its not supposed to be super realistic its more of a tragic love story than anything i think most black ppl wanted some type of black superhero movie where they was super genius escape artist k*lling cops and racing towards freedom was this the greatest movie ever nope was it a very good movie yes it was the food scene im sure that was a visuals thing for the director Plus it was for a purpose in the film the night club scene was to show black love for queen and slim plus the love they got from the community the pimp uncle is and oversimplification of his character he was also a veteran that the government turned its back on which lead him down that road And even then they made the audience sympathetic towards his character now the so called father calling his wife a hoe was obviously put there to lighten the mood why you would take his character as anything other than that idk. The young dude k*lling the cop was not for no reason it was a reflection of society as a whole it he even talked about it when he kept talking about being “immortal” the over sensationalism of these situations could blind some of us to the point we only see black and white and when that happens situations become worse on both sides he only saw an enemy when he pulled that gun not someone trying to help or give him some good advise and by only seeing an enemy he k*lled what couldve been an ally and what i said about the son is the exact thing his father was talking about he didnt so much as blame them he blamed the over sensationalism of them like they were heros. Now i dont get the “typical black man turning them in for money” thing ppl keep talking about all movies regardless of race has this trope why when its black all of a sudden its a issue.
+1   

2 days ago '17        #144
92baby 
space
space
Props total: 33587 33 K  Slaps total: 5295 5 K
 SM said

I was watching but then I was faded and had to go handle business

Ima have to watch alone next time

2 days ago '16        #145
Illogic 
space
space
Props total: 4660 4 K  Slaps total: 3392 3 K
The ending still got me fu*ked up they had slip some gay sh*t in on us that damn near fu*ked the movie up

New replies show every 10 seconds

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+30online now  16
Video inside Which Movies Can You Watch Over and Over Again and Not Get Tired of It...
112 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+29online now  13
Spotify Wrapped 2019 just dropped... what is your top artist and top song?
181 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+67online now  10
Video inside 8 years ago we lost a comedy goat
48 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+41online now  6
Video inside Micahel J. Fox is Martin McCholo in Back to...THE HOOD.
24 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy