PS5 to use SSD cartridges (?)

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
+76  43
80 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

3 weeks ago '08        #1
3478 page views
41 comments

ExNihilo 
space
space
Props total: 35640 35 K  Slaps total: 563 563
PS5 to use SSD cartridges (?)

If this rumor has been posted, a mod can delete

We recently reported that Sony has patented a new gaming cartridge that could be used in a new PlayStation handheld device. However, it's possible that this PlayStation cartridge may actually be an external SSD for the PlayStation 5.

LetsGoDigital spotted the patent published by INPI (Instituto Nacional da Propriedade Industrial) in Brazil. Loosely translated, the patent is for 'configuration applied to / in data recording and storage device' and the artwork shows an old school-style gaming cartridge.

While the cartridge, could be for a handheld device, there are suggestions it could actually be an external SSD for Sony's next-generation hardware. Here's why that's more likely.

Best portable SSD: top external solid state drives
Xbox Project Scarlett: release date, news, specs and features
Best PS4 games: the most essential PlayStation 4 releases
The PlayStation 5 will have a built-in SSD
We already knew the PlayStation 5 will have a built-in SSD. However, while it will certainly improve loading times for games, it's possible the amount of storage will be limited - especially considering how large PS5 games are likely to be.

Therefore, it's likely an external SSD will be needed to improve the amount of storage - especially as external SSDs are much more expensive than the external HDDs typically used with current consoles.

So it would make sense for Sony to patent its own external SSD, even if it's in the form of a gaming cartridge, that could easily be slotted into the PS5 to increase its storage capacity - which we expect it will need.

LetsGoDigital has rendered a 3D image of what the external SSD could look like. Check it out below:

While a Sony SSD could prevent players from buying any old SSD for the console, how that would affect the overall cost of the PS4 remains to be seen - especially considering the high price of the PlayStation 3 resulted in lower sales than the company expected.

Again, this is just speculation and it's still possible the cartridge could be for a handheld device or for another piece of Sony hardware altogether. Let's wait and see.
IMO: Always wondered why consoles didn't utilize this technology, even though people usually have external drives to house games.

My bad, source: visit this link https://www.techradar.com .. sd-for-the-ps5

Last edited by ExNihilo; 11-21-2019 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Added sauce
+5   

best
worst
41 comments

3 weeks ago '07        #2
jhj26 
space
space
Props total: 3039 3 K  Slaps total: 928 928
excellent...

3 weeks ago '13        #3
gnots 
space
space
Props total: 1916 1 K  Slaps total: 349 349
The sonomad 5.

3 weeks ago '05        #4
Greece 
space
space
Props total: 2573 2 K  Slaps total: 183 183
Sounds expensive.
+27   

3 weeks ago '15        #5
CALL AGAIN 
space
space
Props total: 7126 7 K  Slaps total: 1079 1 K
Thatd be dope and they definitely can do it i remember some years back i got a monster ssd 110GB and it was only 40 bucks it can def be done. Idunno tho with the big push to digital but i would collect cartridges.

3 weeks ago '04        #6
chubs189 
space
space
Props total: 10005 10 K  Slaps total: 427 427
Only thing I worry about is if they do the same BS they did with Vita and only allow proprietary drives made by Sony. Those memory cards (SD cards) were extremely overpriced. If they allow other brands then that’s good.
+9   

3 weeks ago '17        #7
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 73250 73 K  Slaps total: 4312 4 K
 CALL AGAIN said
Thatd be dope and they definitely can do it i remember some years back i got a monster ssd 110GB and it was only 40 bucks it can def be done. Idunno tho with the big push to digital but i would collect cartridges.
But were talking about a completely different type of memory. That's like saying I just bought a Dodge pick-up with a V8 for a good price so a Ferrari shouldn't be too fast. It's supposedly faster than NVME drives so expect the price per cartridge for Sony to be $20-50 each. And blu-ray discs cost Sony pennies but the games still sell for $60 so these games have a high chance of being expensive. I remember Genesis and Snes games costing up to $100 a piece with AAA titles costing $60-80 on average back in the 90's. Sony would have to bite a huge bullet if they expect to sell games on these cartridges for only $60.
+6   

3 weeks ago '16        #8
MrMAHA 
space
space
Props total: 206 206  Slaps total: 7 7
Just reminded me of having 2-3 memory cards in my book bag at all times back in the day
+7   

3 weeks ago '04        #9
matik23 
space
space
Props total: 423 423  Slaps total: 15 15
Past consoles didnt use it because it was too expensive at the time. And if you were gonna use an external drive anyway what would be the point of an SSD in a console
+1   

3 weeks ago '05        #10
Daddy Black 
space
space
Props total: 8714 8 K  Slaps total: 814 814
 Greece said
Sounds expensive.
Yeap. Definitely does sound expensive. I already hate paying retail for games now, ps5 stuff might price me out.
+4   

3 weeks ago '17        #11
JacobWatch 
space
space
space
Props total: 15729 15 K  Slaps total: 1148 1 K
Yup the return of memory cards...

I’m sure they wish they thought of it for PS4 launch since you really need a hard drive unless you delete an old game everytime you install a new one smh
+1   

3 weeks ago '18        #12
Oswaldgatesjr 
space
space
space
Props total: 21973 21 K  Slaps total: 7677 7 K
Uh oh.. this ps5 sh*t gon flop lol

3 weeks ago '16        #13
Blunted Sultan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 7874 7 K  Slaps total: 967 967
1 This news is old, was mentioned in the first ps5 story where sony was giving out a few details about the console
2 it wont make the ps5 higher than it already will be, the price of SSDs have gone down a lot to where they’re almost the same as HDDs now. Consoles are always the last ones to implement technology changes like this, so that console can remain competitively priced and not be damn near a High end laptop

3 weeks ago '06        #14
Kingme 
space
space
Props total: 14548 14 K  Slaps total: 2772 2 K
 Naga Sadow said
But were talking about a completely different type of memory. That's like saying I just bought a Dodge pick-up with a V8 for a good price so a Ferrari shouldn't be too fast. It's supposedly faster than NVME drives so expect the price per cartridge for Sony to be $20-50 each. And blu-ray discs cost Sony pennies but the games still sell for $60 so these games have a high chance of being expensive. I remember Genesis and Snes games costing up to $100 a piece with AAA titles costing $60-80 on average back in the 90's. Sony would have to bite a huge bullet if they expect to sell games on these cartridges for only $60.
Yep, the more memory the game needed the more the game cartridge cost to buy. It's why the NeoGeo cartridges cost $200+.

Cartridges would get rid of installing discs but at what cost?

Having an SSD and no disc drive would eliminate moving parts but Microsoft, Apple, and Google are going the no console route which does the same for a much lower price.
+3   

3 weeks ago '17        #15
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 73250 73 K  Slaps total: 4312 4 K
 Kingme said
Yep, the more memory the game needed the more the game cartridge cost to buy. It's why the NeoGeo cartridges cost $200+.

Cartridges would get rid of installing discs but at what cost?

Having an SSD and no disc drive would eliminate moving parts but Microsoft, Apple, and Google are going the no console route which does the same for a much lower price.
Google and Apple are but Phil Spencer said that they're already working on the next console after the next Xbox. I think it might a some type of fast load storage unit. The PS5 is gonna have a blu-ray drive so it's pointless and too expensive to have two game drives. Regardless I'm excited to get the PS5 and next Xbox.

3 weeks ago '06        #16
Kingme 
space
space
 Blunted Sultan said
1 This news is old, was mentioned in the first ps5 story where sony was giving out a few details about the console
2 it wont make the ps5 higher than it already will be, the price of SSDs have gone down a lot to where theyíre almost the same as HDDs now. Consoles are always the last ones to implement technology changes like this, so that console can remain competitively priced and not be damn near a High end laptop
At the cheapest an internal 500GB SSD costs $50 you can get an internal 4TB HDD for $80 bro the prices have not gone down that much. Cartridges are way more expensive than disc so the price of games would have to go up no?

Maybe cartridges is Sony's way of forcing gamers to go digital?

3 weeks ago '06        #17
Kingme 
space
space
 Naga Sadow said
Google and Apple are but Phil Spencer said that they're already working on the next console after the next Xbox. I think it might a some type of fast load storage unit. The PS5 is gonna have a blu-ray drive so it's pointless and too expensive to have two game drives. Regardless I'm excited to get the PS5 and next Xbox.
True Microsoft will keep making consoles but they also have a no console option. If you get Xbox live and a Bluetooth controller you can buy and play Xbox 1x games on any device without buying a console but if you want a console they will keep making them.

You think it's some sort of removable SSD drive?

3 weeks ago '06        #18
mrep3 
space
space
Props total: 11313 11 K  Slaps total: 1444 1 K
 Greece said
Sounds expensive.
Exactly

I really don’t play video games like that anyway so

Last edited by mrep3; 11-21-2019 at 10:52 PM..
+1   

3 weeks ago '17        #19
PackerTrelli3 
space
space
Props total: 18007 18 K  Slaps total: 7074 7 K
Soon it’s gonna be, u have to read the programming to a game and u play it through thought

Yea. No disc, no digital downloads. Just games programmed in ur mind like the matrix.
+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #20
Da_realness 
space
space
Props total: 5728 5 K  Slaps total: 1143 1 K
This is stupid
+1   

3 weeks ago '16        #21
mobchip 
space
space
Props total: 6779 6 K  Slaps total: 1054 1 K
PS5 is a system that not only has a 4K drive, its supposed to display content in 8K as well.
In Japan they have NHK BS8K4K and the 8K channel is stunning.

I bet this ends up to be a peripheral for recording programing like off of NHK BS4K or NHK BS 8K off satellite.

So here is my guess. PS5 has a built in SSD that is intended to house the system OS and game data, and some media files. However this peripheral is an external SSD/ TV tuner strictly for non-gaming use.

I could imagine people in Japan using their PS5 as a DVR for recording and streaming of 4K-8K content.

3 weeks ago '05        #22
Double M Set 
space
space
Props total: 5295 5 K  Slaps total: 987 987
Yooooooo That sh*t Is fu*king Heat And Crazy Groundbreaking Futuristic sh*t...While Xbox Working On XBoxCloud And Unresponsive/Bullsh*t Lag/Connection Activity On A Bullsh*t Server That’ll Probably Shut Down And Your Single Player Is fu*ked 7-10 Years Down The Line. (Crackdown Running Physics Off A Cloud Means At Some Point It’ll Get Downgraded/Shutdown) They Like fu*k IT! We Gon Supply The The Harddrive And It’s SSD! 2TB! Won’t Be Costy For Them!! But Computers Just Got ALOT More Interesting! We’re At The Point Where TB Is Being Consumed Like GB! Mfs Gon Wipe The Games And Use The Drive ? Digital Space Is Bout As Precious As Land And Houses In The Sense Of Equity...And Sony Has The Funds To Supply Low Cost And Eventually See Ah Turn In Profit! :emwhoa: With GTA 6 As A PS5 Exclusive....Red Dead 2 Like 100Gigs Alone!!! sh*t Finna Get WAVY In My Early 30’s Fellas!!

3 weeks ago '09        #23
K0ntrast 
space
space
Props total: 18999 18 K  Slaps total: 1577 1 K
Ps5 on the go and at home

3 weeks ago '12        #24
kiddalex 
space
space
Props total: 14136 14 K  Slaps total: 1239 1 K
 Double M Set said
Yooooooo That sh*t Is fu*king Heat And Crazy Groundbreaking Futuristic sh*t...While Xbox Working On XBoxCloud And Unresponsive/Bullsh*t Lag/Connection Activity On A Bullsh*t Server Thatíll Probably Shut Down And Your Single Player Is fu*ked 7-10 Years Down The Line. (Crackdown Running Physics Off A Cloud Means At Some Point Itíll Get Downgraded/Shutdown) They Like fu*k IT! We Gon Supply The The Harddrive And Itís SSD! 2TB! Wonít Be Costy For Them!! But Computers Just Got ALOT More Interesting! Weíre At The Point Where TB Is Being Consumed Like GB! Mfs Gon Wipe The Games And Use The Drive ? Digital Space Is Bout As Precious As Land And Houses In The Sense Of Equity...And Sony Has The Funds To Supply Low Cost And Eventually See Ah Turn In Profit! :emwhoa: With GTA 6 As A PS5 Exclusive....Red Dead 2 Like 100Gigs Alone!!! sh*t Finna Get WAVY In My Early 30ís Fellas!!
You still f*ghting in the console wars in 2020 my guy ? In incomprehensible gibberish no less ?

+4   

3 weeks ago '08        #25
Kewop Decam 
space
space
space
Props total: 20291 20 K  Slaps total: 1803 1 K
I highly doubt it. They want to push more digital, not selling hardware for software purposes.

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+170online now  17
Image(s) inside 80s & Early 90s Babies: Part ii...
205 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  7
Video inside Switch That Turns GLOCK Into Mini-Machine Gun Showing Up in Chiraq!!!
73 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  6
Star Wars: Rise Of Skywalker leaks have hit the web (Rey is...... *SPOILER*)
63 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+44online now  6
Image(s) inside Shaq Shares A Pic Of Him And A Young Rick Ross
128 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy