Android Officially Releasing RCS Messaging Today 11/14/19.

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

4 weeks ago '06        #1
3541 page views
80 comments

Darell_ftb  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 84011 84 K  Slaps total: 10261 10 K
Android Officially Releasing RCS Messaging Today 11/14/19.

Texting on Android phones is about to get a lot better, Google said Thursday. The maker of the widely used operating system is launching a major update to its Messages app in the US that will modernize texting on Android phones. The update, which will incorporate features such as read receipts and exiting group chats, is one of the biggest steps Google has taken with Android, which lags far behind Apple's iOS when it comes to texting.

The much-anticipated update is made possible by the rollout of a technology called RCS, or Rich Communication Services. RCS is meant to replace SMS, or Short Message Service, a stalwart but tired protocol that's more than 25 years old.

The update will give you features including:

Chat over Wi-Fi
Sending and receiving high-resolution photos and videos
Read receipts
Typing indicators
Group chat naming
Adding and removing people from group chats

In an interview, Sanaz Ahari, director of product management for Google's communications services, acknowledged the update was long overdue, saying the SMS protocol currently used in the Android system lacks "lacks the features users expect from modern messaging."

People can turn on RCS by opening up the Android Messages app and, when prompted, enabling the chat features. If another Android phone also has RCS enabled, text messages will automatically use the new protocol. Google is doing a slow rollout and only about 1% of Android phones will get the update Thursday. Most people in the US will get the new features "by the end of the year."

These are table stakes features. It's a very important step in the right direction.

One feature that's notably missing is end-to-end encryption, which secures messages so only the sender and receiver can read them. It has become a privacy standard in messaging apps, including Apple's iMessage, WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. Ahari said the company continues to study the issue.

"It's a fairly complicated topic," Ahari said when asked why end-to-end encryption isn't included. She said there are "technical complexities," as well as legal and policy implications. Google also has to think about its ecosystem of partners, which includes wireless carriers, phone makers and third parties. She said Google doesn't read messages or use them for personalized ad-targeting.

With RCS, messages will flow through Google's servers, said Drew Rowny, Google's product lead for Messages. That means Google would have to comply with law enforcement requests if, say, it was issued a subpoena. But Rowny said Google deletes messages from its servers as soon as they're sent, so it's less likely it would have the data to hand over.

We need to get our own house in order'
The RCS announcement has been a long time coming. The company has been working on the initiative since 2016. Google introduced RCS in the UK and France in July. Rolling out the product hasn't been as simple as just building and releasing it like any other Google service. Because of Android's labyrinthine ecosystem, the company has to navigate a tangled web of carrier and device partners.

Texting on Android will include things like typing indicators and read receipts.

Google
Still, Google is taking charge of the RCS rollout instead of relying on the carriers to do it -- an unusual step for a company so dependent on its ecosystem of partners. The search giant took the same route when rolling out RCS in the UK and France. Ahari said Google has been in "close contact" with the carriers, and stressed that they all broadly want messaging to be powered by RCS. Last month, the four major US carriers -- Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint -- teamed up to form the Cross Carrier Messaging Initiative, a joint venture aimed at standardizing RCS.

Google wielding its power to take charge of the RCS rollout could worry regulators already scrutinizing the company's market dominance. The tech giant is facing multiple antitrust investigations in the US. In Europe, Google was fined Google $5 billion last year for anticompetitive practices regarding Android.

While Thursday's launch is focused on the US, it's a crucial move for Android as a whole, which accounts for almost nine of every 10 smartphones shipped. The strength of Android's services is also important to Google's overall business because the operating system serves as a gateway to the company's other services, like search and maps.

The RCS update is also critical when it comes to Google's rivalry with Apple. iPhone users often deride Android's texting deficiencies. They also mock the green bubble used to indicate Android users on iMessage. The difference in platforms often causes glitches in group texts.

While the RCS launch is a big step, it isn't the "end-all, be-all," Ahari said. It won't make a difference in Apple-Android interactions unless Apple supports it on iPhones. Google would love that, though it's unlikely Apple would give up the status barrier, which legitimately keeps some people from switching to Android. (Apple didn't respond to a request for comment.)

The launch is about getting texting on Android up to par rather than solving the issue of the "green bubble problem," Ahari said. "We need to get our own house in order."

visit this link https://www.cnet.com/news .. droid-texting/
+6   

best
worst
80 comments

4 weeks ago '07        #2
iswerve 
space
space
Props total: 15873 15 K  Slaps total: 2418 2 K
the big 4 carriers literally just announced who they contracted the rcs service to (some company in japan thats running rcs there) and all of a sudden google drops this????

why the fck have they been holding out for so long?
+4   

4 weeks ago '04        #3
Mr AirRic 
space
space
Props total: 5905 5 K  Slaps total: 1012 1 K
nice. got Samsung One UI 2 & this on the same day

by the way Samsung users, One UI 2 is niiice. animations are on point, and the devices bar at the top is waaay better
+2   

4 weeks ago '05        #4
Y.G. 
space
space
space
Props total: 22271 22 K  Slaps total: 3118 3 K
Google or Samsung should have done this years ago, instead of waiting for carrier approval. At least Google is finally manning up. Fock the carriers and anybody that love em.
+7   

4 weeks ago '04        #5
1nonly 
space
space
Props total: 2270 2 K  Slaps total: 168 168
appreciate it. just downloaded it now. and will see how well it works
+1   

4 weeks ago '06        #6
Darell_ftb  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2 OP
space
space
 iswerve said
the big 4 carriers literally just announced who they contracted the rcs service to (some company in japan thats running rcs there) and all of a sudden google drops this????

why the fck have they been holding out for so long?
I guess they got tired of playing nice with the carriers lol.

Last edited by Darell_ftb; 11-14-2019 at 02:44 PM..
+3   

4 weeks ago '04        #7
Fresh Beats 
space
space
Props total: 8414 8 K  Slaps total: 388 388
Might come back to android now that they finally dropped this. They should enable it by default tho because it's useless if people don't activate it.
+6   

4 weeks ago '19        #8
zzxxccvvbb 
space
space
space
Props total: 5952 5 K  Slaps total: 854 854
We should all be using Signal anyway...

Until our company's app comes out at least
+4   

4 weeks ago '05        #9
HARBINGER 
space
space
Props total: 16767 16 K  Slaps total: 5532 5 K
all I care about from android right now is them getting the one UI 2.0 to my note 10+
+2   

4 weeks ago '08        #10
Chedda  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 55092 55 K  Slaps total: 2922 2 K
This was easier to deploy on Apple since its one uniformed platform. Android has a lot of different components and variables such as devices, carriers, etc.

I'm glad they are finally getting things situated. RCS is easily one of the best things about the iPhone.

4 weeks ago '16        #11
Head Coach 
space
space
space
Props total: 5038 5 K  Slaps total: 461 461
Read receipts are pointless all it does is p*ss people off, been happy af android didnt have that
+7   

4 weeks ago '17        #12
justin747  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 90280 90 K  Slaps total: 9620 9 K
 Fresh Beats said
Might come back to android now that they finally dropped this. They should enable it by default tho because it's useless if people don't activate it.
I think there is some kind of anti trust laws that say they can't make it the default, but they can just prompt everybody to "opt in" instead.

The real hope is that open up the Universal Profile so that apps like Textra and Chomp and Pulse can add RCS capabilities also.
+4   

4 weeks ago '05        #13
MyZ28 
space
space
Props total: 2151 2 K  Slaps total: 239 239
T-Mobile still not allowing it...
+1   

4 weeks ago '05        #14
P-Hill|M 
space
space
Props total: 21210 21 K  Slaps total: 1667 1 K
 Chedda said
This was easier to deploy on Apple since its one uniformed platform. Android has a lot of different components and variables such as devices, carriers, etc.

I'm glad they are finally getting things situated. RCS is easily one of the best things about the iPhone.
Nah man... Google just dragged their feet trying not to upset the carriers and play nice. Sometimes you gotta force the issue like apple did.
+2   

4 weeks ago '05        #15
P-Hill|M 
space
space
 MyZ28 said
Do it yourself until its fully rolled out.

I'm using it on t mobile right now
+1   

4 weeks ago '09        #16
Willi263 
space
space
Props total: 7499 7 K  Slaps total: 318 318
 1nonly said
appreciate it. just downloaded it now. and will see how well it works
Where do u download it?

4 weeks ago '04        #17
Mr AirRic 
space
space
 Chedda said
iphone doesnt have RCS. they have their own in-house messaging platform (imessage), similar to Signal, Whatsapp, etc.. RCS is just being added to android right now.

but this will be like imessage for android (without the encryption...). hopefully google eventually adds encryption to Messages (like they had in Allo), and that apple isnt stubborn and allows RCS on imessage soon.

or Americans can catch up to the rest of the world and ditch imessage/sms for better, 3rd party messaging apps.
+2   

4 weeks ago '05        #18
Y.G. 
space
space
space
Props total: 22271 22 K  Slaps total: 3118 3 K
 P-Hill said
Nah man... Google just dragged their feet trying not to upset the carriers and play nice. Sometimes you gotta force the issue like apple did.
That n*gga has been repeating that dumb sh*t since the last thread. Clearly don't know what tha fock he talkin bout.

4 weeks ago '04        #19
Mr AirRic 
space
space
 Willi263 said
Where do u download it?
You have to get the Google Messages app from the play store. From there, you just have to wait until your phone gets the update (will happen over the next month), then Messages will prompt you to enable RCS chat
+2   

4 weeks ago '07        #20
Cambury 
space
space
space
Props total: 18039 18 K  Slaps total: 8222 8 K
I have ATT and a Galaxy S10, I tried a few weeks ago and it didn't work someone school me.

4 weeks ago '06        #21
space
space
 MyZ28 said
I got it on t mobile.

4 weeks ago '17        #22
JacobWatch 
space
space
space
Props total: 15717 15 K  Slaps total: 1147 1 K
Is RCS the sh*t where people can see what I’m typing before I hit send?

You a nut if you think I’m texting bi*ches with that sh*t on

+9   

4 weeks ago '06        #23
space
space
 Cambury said
I have ATT and a Galaxy S10, I tried a few weeks ago and it didn't work someone school me.
Download Google messenger. I already had it installed and got promoted to opt in earlier today even tho I was already using rcs for about two weeks. They're tired of waiting on phone carriers to work with them.

4 weeks ago '17        #24
justin747  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 90280 90 K  Slaps total: 9620 9 K
 MyZ28 said
False. I have it on my phone.

4 weeks ago '05        #25
P-Hill|M 
space
space
 Y.G. said
That n*gga has been repeating that dumb sh*t since the last thread. Clearly don't know what tha fock he talkin bout.
Damn Chedda not getting chedda
+2   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
-36online now  54
Video inside Lizzo the rapper has a mental breakdown after internet backlash
313 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+133online now  36
Image(s) inside Most iconic timberlands are about to release
148 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
+61online now  28
Patrice O'Neal Being a Human In A Room Full Of Robots
63 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+39online now  14
Video inside Do You Agree With Anthony Mackie About Hollywood?
72 comments
24 hours ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy