Mar 3 - Hawaii decides again not to legalize marijuana

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
+94  130
145 comments @hiphop
most viewed right now
+133  88
104 comments @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

9 months ago '16        #1
1966 page views
32 comments

Aztlan 
space
space
Props total: 46196 46 K  Slaps total: 6250 6 K
Mar 3 - Hawaii decides again not to legalize marijuana

HONOLULU >> On the political spectrum, Hawaii is among the bluest of states. Democrats control all the levers of power at the state and federal levels, and voters back Democratic presidential candidates over Republicans by some of the widest margins in the U.S.

The state has committed to the Paris climate agreement that President Donald Trump rejected and was the first state to require people to be 21 to buy cigarettes. The tourist haven even banned certain types of sunscreen because they can harm coral reefs.

But when it comes to legalizing recreational marijuana for adult use, the islands are out of step with liberal stalwarts such as California and Vermont that have already done so, and other left-leaning states such as New York and New Jersey that are racing toward joining them. On Friday, a legalization bill that made it farther in the legislative process than previous efforts died when lawmakers failed to consider it in time for a deadline.

Senate Majority Leader J. Kalani English has introduced marijuana legalization bills for the past 15 years — but Hawaii has a track record of moving slowly on social issues. For example, other states moved far more quickly to sanction gay marriage and medically a*sisted suicide.

Half the Democrats in the state Senate co-sponsored English’s measure, helping spur speculation this would be the year legalization becomes reality.

But the effort fizzled as other leaders worried about contradicting federal law, which continues to classify marijuana as an illegal drug, and jeopardizing Hawaii’s existing medical marijuana program.

To move forward, the bill had to pass the Senate Health Committee and Senate Ways and Means Committee by a Friday deadline so it could be considered by the full Senate. But the Health Committee did not schedule a meeting on Friday to consider any bills, effectively k*lling the marijuana legalization measure.

Rep. Della Au Belatti, the House majority leader, said before the bill died that she believes Hawaii will legalize adult use marijuana at some point. But she said lawmakers will vet the issue carefully.

“I also think that we have enough folks who are sitting around the table who are saying ‘Let’s do it right. Let’s not just rush into things and let’s do it right,’” she said.

Belatti said lawmakers must closely study the experiences of states that have legalized marijuana. She also wants to have abuse prevention, treatment and education programs set up before legalization. Hawaii also will have to make sure legalized marijuana doesn’t lead to more impaired driving, she said.

For now, Belatti said she’s just inclined toward decriminalizing marijuana, or reducing fines and criminal penalties for possession.

Twelve states and the District of Columbia have recreational marijuana laws. All except Vermont did it by ballot initiative, an option not available in Hawaii.

Sen. Karl Rhoads, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said Hawaii residents are becoming more accepting of legalization now because it has happened elsewhere and “the world hasn’t come to an end.” There’s also recognition that the status quo isn’t working, he said, noting that juniors at a high school near his district tell him they can get pot whenever they want.

“It’s like Prohibition,” he said. “We’ve been trying to squish it out, squeeze it out, by making it illegal. And it’s just failed miserably.”

Rhoads’ committee passed an amended version of English’s bill last month, the first time a legalization measure has ever made it out of any committee.

Health Committee Chairwoman Sen. Roz Baker said she did not want to do anything that would threaten Hawaii’s nascent medical cannabis dispensary system. Dispensary sales began just two years ago.

Baker believes the federal government will leave medical marijuana alone but might take a more active approach to enforcing federal drug laws if Hawaii takes the next step. Democratic Gov. David Ige expressed similar concerns.

Rep. Joy San Buenaventura said it did not make sense to push the measure through without Ige’s support. San Buenaventura represents Puna, a mostly rural area on the Big Island long known for pot growing.

Brian Goldstein, the founder and CEO of the medical marijuana dispensary Noa Botanicals, said it is inevitable Hawaii will eventually allow adult use. He acknowledged it may take a while.

Hawaii’s Legislature approved medical marijuana in 2000 — four years after California became the first state with such a law — but it took island lawmakers another 15 years to set up a dispensary system.

Carl Bergquist, the executive director of the pro-legalization Drug Policy Forum of Hawaii, said progress is being made even though the idea failed again this year.

“It’s a huge step … just to have that conversation started,” he said.

visit this link Star Advertiser
+6   

best
worst
32 comments

9 months ago '08        #2
cohs 
space
space
space
Props total: 18844 18 K  Slaps total: 1228 1 K
They fu*king up.
+8   

9 months ago '18        #3
KingBossHellBoy 
space
space
Props total: 8349 8 K  Slaps total: 4189 4 K
Non legal weed is for the birds

the michigan life is crzy

i only buy quarters at a time. go to the dispencary and talk to all the cute girls, huge selection menu of all types of weed, edibles, all types of sh*t u can imagine, then they weigh up the weed right in front of u and always over weigh it and give u free weed, every week i get atleast 2-3 free grams of fire. ride past cops with weed out no worries. never buyin street weed again either fu*k that..waitin on people for hours to skimp u and some times they dont even give u plastic bags n sh*t. the dispensary is the way to go+ if your a dude who cops ounces and sh*t at a time then u kno they aint gonna rip u off. all 100% square businuess walk in when ever you want 10 AM to 9 PM ...

Last edited by KingBossHellBoy; 03-04-2019 at 12:17 AM..
+26   

9 months ago '17        #4
Wavie Crockett 
space
space
Props total: 4476 4 K  Slaps total: 3639 3 K
@
+2   

9 months ago '17        #5
lucifershammer 
space
space
Props total: 34551 34 K  Slaps total: 3626 3 K
Sounds like a bunch of politicians looking for corporate handouts
+6   

9 months ago '07        #6
Postradamus  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 21011 21 K  Slaps total: 5641 5 K

9 months ago '04        #7
onlyonesmoke 
space
space
Props total: 2034 2 K  Slaps total: 508 508
Smart fu*king choice. The fu*kery that is going on in California is a fu*king joke. I vote against it here. fu*k Prop 64.
+1   

9 months ago '04        #8
jaynat603 
space
space
Props total: 2236 2 K  Slaps total: 273 273
 lucifershammer said
Corporations are pumping money in the marijuana industry including pharmacies and tobacco companies, Its not organic at all now. Something is seriously wrong when the Rastas in Jamaica is saying don't smoke the ganja, it's tainted

I'll just leave this here, do your research and you decide what to believe

Last edited by jaynat603; 03-04-2019 at 01:55 AM..
+3   

9 months ago '15        #9
Hitek 
space
space
Props total: 802 802  Slaps total: 149 149
I never understood how you can make a plant illegal. It literally grows from the earth. That's like making tomatoes illegal.

Our politicians are idiots.
+10   

9 months ago '18        #10
BrooklynDamien  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 17606 17 K  Slaps total: 1962 1 K
Bruh... Sometimes n*ggas ain't giving you plastic bags with your quarters??? They just giving you buds in your hands? Lol on another note, that scientist was saying that the frogs were turning from male to female. Not even gay. Straight feminizing males. I remember seeing that years ago. He was being persecuted for that study. Looking like fat D'Angelo...
+9   

9 months ago '09        #11
red100 
space
space
Props total: 801 801  Slaps total: 200 200
 jaynat603 said
Corporations are pumping money in the marijuana industry including pharmacies and tobacco companies, Its not organic at all now. Something is seriously wrong when the Rastas in Jamaica is saying don't smoke the ganja, it's tainted

Sleeper post fam. Major props!

I hope they realize this A.S.A.P. because this agenda is getting out of control.
+3   

9 months ago '14        #12
wuzgooch 
space
space
Props total: 3479 3 K  Slaps total: 161 161
 KingBossHellBoy said

i only buy quarters at a time. go to the dispencary and talk to all the cute girls, huge selection menu of all types of weed, edibles, all types of sh*t u can imagine, then they weigh up the weed right in front of u and always over weigh it and give u free weed, every week i get atleast 2-3 free grams of fire. ride past cops with weed out no worries. never buyin street weed again either fu*k that..waitin on people for hours to skimp u and some times they dont even give u plastic bags n sh*t. the dispensary is the way to go+ if your a dude who cops ounces and sh*t at a time then u kno they aint gonna rip u off. all 100% square businuess walk in when ever you want 10 AM to 9 PM ...
over here the legal weeds actually trash, always underweighed and dry. all the illegal dispensary and sites here always have better prices and quality.

got an oz of sorbet for 150

+14   

9 months ago '18        #13
PAPLE 
space
space
Props total: 12077 12 K  Slaps total: 2077 2 K
land of the free
+1   

9 months ago '11        #14
Silencer 
space
space
Props total: 8476 8 K  Slaps total: 450 450
Dog The Bounty Hunter said "Hell naw yall aint cutting into my funds"
+4   

9 months ago '06        #15
1 of 1 Houston 
space
space
Props total: 10585 10 K  Slaps total: 1132 1 K

Tripping. People could be smoking that Hawaain blue cheese in Hawaai legally while walking around in Hawaii.

Or have a Pow-Wow with Maui Wowie while in Maui

Last edited by 1 of 1 Houston; 03-04-2019 at 04:47 AM..
+14   

9 months ago '04        #16
hammertime71604 
space
space
space
Props total: 618 618  Slaps total: 122 122
 lucifershammer said
That sums up Hawaii politics
+4   

9 months ago '07        #17
Bullseye 
space
space
Props total: 3454 3 K  Slaps total: 756 756
Why they need weed when they got Maui Wowie?
+1   

9 months ago '04        #18
cold_young_thug  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 6262 6 K  Slaps total: 1475 1 K
 Aztlan said
HONOLULU >> On the political spectrum, Hawaii is among the bluest of states. Democrats control all the levers of power at the state and federal levels, and voters back Democratic presidential candidates over Republicans by some of the widest margins in the U.S.

The state has committed to the Paris climate agreement that President Donald Trump rejected and was the first state to require people to be 21 to buy cigarettes. The tourist haven even banned certain types of sunscreen because they can harm coral reefs.

But when it comes to legalizing recreational marijuana for adult use, the islands are out of step with liberal stalwarts such as California and Vermont that have already done so, and other left-leaning states such as New York and New Jersey that are racing toward joining them. On Friday, a legalization bill that made it farther in the legislative process than previous efforts died when lawmakers failed to consider it in time for a deadline.

Senate Majority Leader J. Kalani English has introduced marijuana legalization bills for the past 15 years — but Hawaii has a track record of moving slowly on social issues. For example, other states moved far more quickly to sanction gay marriage and medically a*sisted suicide.

Half the Democrats in the state Senate co-sponsored English’s measure, helping spur speculation this would be the year legalization becomes reality.

But the effort fizzled as other leaders worried about contradicting federal law, which continues to classify marijuana as an illegal drug, and jeopardizing Hawaii’s existing medical marijuana program.

To move forward, the bill had to pass the Senate Health Committee and Senate Ways and Means Committee by a Friday deadline so it could be considered by the full Senate. But the Health Committee did not schedule a meeting on Friday to consider any bills, effectively k*lling the marijuana legalization measure.

Rep. Della Au Belatti, the House majority leader, said before the bill died that she believes Hawaii will legalize adult use marijuana at some point. But she said lawmakers will vet the issue carefully.

“I also think that we have enough folks who are sitting around the table who are saying ‘Let’s do it right. Let’s not just rush into things and let’s do it right,’” she said.

Belatti said lawmakers must closely study the experiences of states that have legalized marijuana. She also wants to have abuse prevention, treatment and education programs set up before legalization. Hawaii also will have to make sure legalized marijuana doesn’t lead to more impaired driving, she said.

For now, Belatti said she’s just inclined toward decriminalizing marijuana, or reducing fines and criminal penalties for possession.

Twelve states and the District of Columbia have recreational marijuana laws. All except Vermont did it by ballot initiative, an option not available in Hawaii.

Sen. Karl Rhoads, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said Hawaii residents are becoming more accepting of legalization now because it has happened elsewhere and “the world hasn’t come to an end.” There’s also recognition that the status quo isn’t working, he said, noting that juniors at a high school near his district tell him they can get pot whenever they want.

“It’s like Prohibition,” he said. “We’ve been trying to squish it out, squeeze it out, by making it illegal. And it’s just failed miserably.”

Rhoads’ committee passed an amended version of English’s bill last month, the first time a legalization measure has ever made it out of any committee.

Health Committee Chairwoman Sen. Roz Baker said she did not want to do anything that would threaten Hawaii’s nascent medical cannabis dispensary system. Dispensary sales began just two years ago.

Baker believes the federal government will leave medical marijuana alone but might take a more active approach to enforcing federal drug laws if Hawaii takes the next step. Democratic Gov. David Ige expressed similar concerns.

Rep. Joy San Buenaventura said it did not make sense to push the measure through without Ige’s support. San Buenaventura represents Puna, a mostly rural area on the Big Island long known for pot growing.

Brian Goldstein, the founder and CEO of the medical marijuana dispensary Noa Botanicals, said it is inevitable Hawaii will eventually allow adult use. He acknowledged it may take a while.

Hawaii’s Legislature approved medical marijuana in 2000 — four years after California became the first state with such a law — but it took island lawmakers another 15 years to set up a dispensary system.

Carl Bergquist, the executive director of the pro-legalization Drug Policy Forum of Hawaii, said progress is being made even though the idea failed again this year.

“It’s a huge step … just to have that conversation started,” he said.

Its sad when they always have excuses. "lets not rush it." They said the same thing about slavery.
+5   

9 months ago '14        #19
504  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x15
space
space
Props total: 67117 67 K  Slaps total: 12716 12 K
Would have attracted even more tourists
+3   

9 months ago '07        #20
space
space
Props total: 3972 3 K  Slaps total: 620 620
 onlyonesmoke said
Smart fu*king choice. The fu*kery that is going on in California is a fu*king joke. I vote against it here. fu*k Prop 64.
We need to go back to prop 215. Causal smokers dont know

9 months ago '04        #21
goodi 
space
space
Props total: 2336 2 K  Slaps total: 596 596
welp, looks like Hawaii will stay off my vacation destination list.

+3   

9 months ago '16        #22
Abyss1 
space
space
space
Props total: 248 248  Slaps total: 28 28
 KingBossHellBoy said

Word ...im in Cali and I remember having to go to some shady a*s house to get m

9 months ago '16        #23
Abyss1 
space
space
space
Props total: 248 248  Slaps total: 28 28
 KingBossHellBoy said

Word ...im in Cali and I remember having to go to some shady a*s house complete with crazy a*s pitbull to get my ganja...one time dudes fronted me a sack and when I went to pay them back they were nowhere to be found for months...

Got my card in 2007 and been buying legal ever since, it's perfect because I can get whatever most times and have not even had one incident with cops or neighbors
+1   

5 months ago '14        #24
Greenghost2212 
space
space
Props total: 1987 1 K  Slaps total: 568 568
 jaynat603 said

Lol are you slow U actually believe those clickbait a*s youtube fake a*s woke videos?? Not only is that bullsh*t because a n*gga can easily grow thier own but the only thing that changed was n*ggas intelligence in growing and the access to different growing materials and potancy. I'll choose real life research over some bullsh*t youtube videos thanks anyway tho lol.

5 months ago '12        #25
OldBusiness 
space
space
Props total: 81160 81 K  Slaps total: 5755 5 K
I been growing for a long time now. Recently stepped it up from 6 plants to 12 and got a fullly dedicated room with tents, lighting, fans and all.

Havent paid for tree in a long time. Cant wait for my blue dream and cookies to finish.
+5   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  39
People are fed up with the sky-high cost of smartphones
62 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
+62online now  28
Image(s) inside Dame got it right but Choke broke it down about R.O.C. Nation
107 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  24
Dec 13 - A 51-year-old man who violently attacked two children inside a Lodi T..
66 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  17
Video inside SMACK/URL - SMACK Volume 5 [DISCUSSION THREAD/LIVE UPDATES]
351 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy