Martin Scorsese's THE IRISHMAN [Official Movie Discussion Thread] 11/27

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x8   |  3 bx goons and 5 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

2 weeks ago '16        #326
TrillSp 
space
space
Props total: 12920 12 K  Slaps total: 1469 1 K
 justinjones said
the movie is getting some criticism because Anna Paquin only had 7 lines in it. She didn’t really talk to her dad unless she had to except when it was about why he didn’t call hoffa’s wife. The only reason she did that was to see his reaction because she was always looking at his reaction to things and knew that he did it. Hence not talking to him again

In other words, her not having a lot to say with her words was probably better because you can tell that they didn’t have a relationship besides being father/daughter which was the point
Exactly. She was terrified of him as a child you could feel the tension. And she was closer to Hoffa than she was to Frank(her dad) so she definitely felt Frank was responsible/tied to Hoffa's death.
+1   

2 weeks ago '17        #327
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 43238 43 K  Slaps total: 10077 10 K
 Thworldisyours said
Loved the movie but I agree...

They should've just hired a younger actor for the first 20 or so mins, like in Goodfellas where a younger actor plays Liotta's role in the beginning...

Or just cut out that beatdown scene altogether because it's actually not needed really.

All it does is establish that the daughter doesn't like her father's way of life but that is already established by the end of the movie without that scene.
I feel like Scorsese was trying to convey something with Bobby D kickin like that. There was a million ways he could’ve done that scene and chose that one.
+3   

2 weeks ago '18        #328
Blaffy 
space
space
Props total: 64164 64 K  Slaps total: 5540 5 K

2 weeks ago '08        #329
904Nole 
space
space
Props total: 10713 10 K  Slaps total: 1151 1 K
I feel like Scorsese should have had DeNiro have an injury from his war days that justified him moving much older than his actual age. 2 birds one stone.

Movie gets better with every viewing. instant classic
+12   

2 weeks ago '13        #330
solidsnake1864 
space
space
Props total: 1955 1 K  Slaps total: 376 376
2 hours in, this sh*t is fire as expected. Easily the movie of the year

That’s dope that Crazy Joe Gallo and Fat Tony Salerno are in this too

Is he being played by that cop from The Wire wearing a fat suit?
+2   

2 weeks ago '13        #331
solidsnake1864 
space
space
 TrillSp said
After running it back a 3rd time I have a question that hit me

Hoffa's son drove his pops (unknowingly) to the "meeting" where he got clapped. So he dropped his pops off and never asked hey man where is my dad, why hasn't he came out yet?. Did I miss something or.....

Maybe he was just dumb. But there's a
"idk what type of fish I just bought" dumb and there's "idk where my dad could be even though I was one of the last people who saw him alive and sent him into a house with just him and a notorious hitman" dumb. And the latter is a really tough sell
Bro I noticed this immediately... He wasn’t able to point out to anybody that was the last place he saw his dad alive?

Apparently not, because nobody has a clue where he was k*lled. Makes no sense, should’ve left Jessie Plemons out of the scene.

Last edited by solidsnake1864; 12-02-2019 at 11:45 PM..
+2   

2 weeks ago '18        #332
Proffesor X 
space
space
Props total: 25783 25 K  Slaps total: 5503 5 K
 solidsnake1864 said
Bro I noticed this immediately... He wasn’t able to point out to anybody that was the last place he saw his dad alive?

Apparently not, because nobody has a clue where he was k*lled. Makes no sense, should’ve left Jessie Plemons out of the scene.
His son went to jail..so they didnt k*ll him..which means either was paid off..was in on it..or was just so loyal to the family that he accepted the L for what it was and kept it moving
+2   

2 weeks ago '07        #333
Daville502 
space
space
Props total: 4131 4 K  Slaps total: 248 248
I loved this movie. One of my favorites of the year. Deniro and pachino were great imo. I already started rewatching this.
+5   

2 weeks ago '16        #334
TrillSp 
space
space
Props total: 12920 12 K  Slaps total: 1469 1 K
 Proffesor X said
His son went to jail..so they didnt k*ll him..which means either was paid off..was in on it..or was just so loyal to the family that he accepted the L for what it was and kept it moving
Gotcha
+1   

2 weeks ago '14        #335
BasedGawd  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 11188 11 K  Slaps total: 1446 1 K
 astrotrain said
Just watched it. Pesci and Pacino were great. Deniro felt too old to be playing his role. Those deaging flashbacks looked silly especially when Deniro first meets Pesci at the gas station and Pesci calls him kid. Even with the deaging he still looked 55+.
Spot on.
+3   

2 weeks ago '13        #336
solidsnake1864 
space
space
 Daville502 said
I loved this movie. One of my favorites of the year. Deniro and pachino were great imo. I already started rewatching this.
Shyt, one of my favorites of the decade. Definitely watching it again real soon, great replay value.

kronzsw said
sh*t was trash
so you're either a female or your brain capacity/attention span is trash

Which is it?
+3   

2 weeks ago '19        #337
Johnnydash20 
space
space
space
Props total: 126 126  Slaps total: 24 24
I feel as if some of the scenes in this movie will def go down in history....like certain scenes from the classic mob moves...as a whole..I don’t think it’s a classic but still a great movie with classic scenes.....tremendous acting
+1   

2 weeks ago '10        #338
BEASTMODE863 
space
space
Props total: 1318 1 K  Slaps total: 125 125
i finally got around to watching this, what a fantastic film. easily one of the best this year.

2 weeks ago '17        #339
YAYO101 
space
space
Props total: 13599 13 K  Slaps total: 897 897

Small Role but Domenick Lombardozzi k*lled it as Fat Tony Salerno, didn't even know that was him at first

Very good Movie...LONG but well done. I totally get what Martin Scorsese Means about "CINEMA" now. His Films Let the Actors Shine!

Last edited by YAYO101; 12-03-2019 at 09:22 PM..
+14   

2 weeks ago '14        #340
Bill Wallace  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
Props total: 17404 17 K  Slaps total: 756 756
 YAYO101 said

Small Role but Domenick Lombardozzi k*lled it as Fat Tony Salerno, didn't even know that was him at first

Very good Movie...LONG but well done. I totally get what Martin Scorsese Means about "CINEMA" now. His Films Let the Actors Shine!
Always been a fan of dude, glad he got some shine in this...but can you imagine James Gandolfini in the role tho!!! woulda been dope seeing him in the old folks home with old Russ and Frank at the end
+10   

2 weeks ago '19        #341
PolloFrito 
space
space
Props total: 764 764  Slaps total: 56 56
I'm convinced that Jim Norton isn't that bad as an actor but does it for the giggles.

Action Bronson was completely miscast. I'm not buy a casket off that bozo made out of particle board that's been spiffed up. It'll take longer for your body to break down that it will for that trash he's selling.

Anyways movie went by fast, I didn't think it would. Long movies are tough cause I get sidetracked with life but this was rather compelling, even if it wasn't anything really ground breaking, and reminded me of some of his older work.

Good movie overall. If you liked this you will like Ice Man, it's about the murder Machine. True story.

I also gotta say this movie made me appreciate Godfather of Harlem more. It's way lower budget but really done with compelling characters and good acting, and presenting the mob in a different light through Bumpy Johnson and them.
+1   

2 weeks ago '04        #342
JFamis 
space
space
Props total: 8077 8 K  Slaps total: 1138 1 K

+3   

2 weeks ago '19        #343
Big Tymerz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
space
space
Props total: 32141 32 K  Slaps total: 22173 22 K
Al Pacino

+4   

2 weeks ago '07        #344
TH35 
space
space
Props total: 23491 23 K  Slaps total: 2765 2 K
 JFamis said
I need to Uncut Gems now.

Anyway, I liked The Irishman

2 weeks ago '13        #345
solidsnake1864 
space
space
 YAYO101 said

I could tell it was him almost instantaneously lol

Guy has an unmistakable voice
+5   

2 weeks ago '04        #346
JFamis 
space
space
Props total: 8077 8 K  Slaps total: 1138 1 K

1 week ago '16        #347
space
space
Props total: 133 133  Slaps total: 31 31
 gemini8686 said
Just saw it. Then I saw reviews. You can tell who’s a trump supporter just by looking at it.

Movie was great
Links? Interested but not sure what you mean

1 week ago '17        #348
1Oh 
space
space
Props total: 23262 23 K  Slaps total: 942 942
Would I say Irishman is best picture? I dont know yet. It's a nominee for sure.

It's good. Did it have to be 3+ hours? absolutely not. Was the de-aging hit or miss? yep. Deniro moved like an old man even when he wasnt supposed to be old, kinda threw me off.

Pesci is getting best supporting actor Oscar, hands down. Movie had some great scenes in general.

But I would call this mid-tier Scorcese. The novelty of so many legends involved with this movie makes me appreciate it more.

1 week ago '12        #349
44wade  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 21713 21 K  Slaps total: 7582 7 K
I seriously put this movie on once a day, or every other day since it dropped. I liked it alot.

Anyhow, I dont know if anyone has brought it up, most likely since its obvious, but the fairy Ferris, is the role, that Pesci played in the JFK movie correct?

Im pretty sure it was, and Im pretty sure it would have been mentioned by now, but just checkin if it was.

Last edited by 44wade; 12-05-2019 at 11:14 PM..

1 week ago '17        #350
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 43238 43 K  Slaps total: 10077 10 K
 JFamis said
I wanna see 1917 so bad, hope they pull it off

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+131online now  45
Memorable pictures from this decade
213 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+71online now  31
Video inside Top Winning Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe!
85 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  27
Video inside SMACK/URL - SMACK Volume 5 [DISCUSSION THREAD/LIVE UPDATES]
363 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+34online now  16
Image(s) inside Most Powerful Weapons In The Marvel Universe, Ranked By Destructive Fo..
58 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy