Jun 27 - U.S. Megadrought Is Worst for Over 1,000 Years: How Long Could It Last?

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

5 months ago '06        #1
1127 page views
12 comments

RAZAH CUTS  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x84
Props total: 72602 72 K  Slaps total: 10195 10 K
Jun 27 - U.S. Megadrought Is Worst for Over 1,000 Years: How Long Could It Last?

Droughts are periods characterized by abnormally dry conditions. But what are megadroughts, and how bad is the one currently affecting parts of the United States?

While there are no clear definitions of what a megadrought is, in general these events are defined as droughts that last for multiple decades, i.e. two or more, according to Ashok Mishra, a professor in the Glenn Department of Civil Engineering at Clemson University.

"Although there may be a few wet spells, most periods remained dry," he told Newsweek.

Vast swathes of the western United States are currently being impacted by a megadrought, including states such as California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Nevada as well as Texas, Oklahoma, Utah, Montana, and New Mexico.

"The megadrought that started in 2000 is almost in its twenty-third year," Mishra said.

Recent research has suggested that this ranks as the driest 22-year period in southwestern North America since at least 800 C.E.

"As much as 80 percent of the 17 western states that comprise the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation's area of operations have experienced severe or worse drought conditions at times during the past two decades," Jonathan Deason, co-director of the Environmental & Energy Management Institute at George Washington University, and a professor in the School of Engineering and Applied Science, told Newsweek.

"And overall, more than 20 percent of the land area in the western states has been in severe, extreme or exceptional drought conditions during the majority of time since the turn of the century," he said.

How Long Will the Megadrought Last?
Like most droughts, it is difficult to predict how long the current event is going to last, according to Rick Relyea, director of the Darrin Fresh Water Institute at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

"Megadroughts are relatively rare—scientists have only documented eight megadroughts in this region during the past 1,200 years," he told Newsweek. "These eight megadroughts have lasted 20-30 years, suggesting that there may be an end to the current drought in the coming years."

But Deason said he does not expect to see much, if any, relief for a number of years because, even when the dry conditions abate, it is going to take several years of above-average rainfall for there to be a significant recovery.

"Rainfall data for 2022 show essentially no relief yet for the vast majority of these areas," Deason said.

While Earth's monitoring system models are, in principle, capable of providing insight on the occurrence, duration and severity of megadroughts, their predictions are still highly uncertain.

"There is clearly a lot of room for improvement and the research community is actively working towards that goal," Efthymios Nikolopoulos, an engineering professor at Florida Institute of Technology, told Newsweek.

visit this link https://www.newsweek.com/ .. d-last-1719472
+4   

best
worst
12 comments

5 months ago '20        #2
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 75508 75 K  Slaps total: 13773 13 K
Desalination
+4   

5 months ago '18        #3
0msoc 
Props total: 1515 1 K  Slaps total: 445 445
It's interesting to me that we have reached a point of innovation in pretty much every industry outside of AI and nano-technology, so they started pushing these drastic changes in the energy sector around the time this "mega-drought" started. The current goal is to undo the damage that was done by capitalism by 2030, which is conveniently enough the time when past "mega-drought"s have aged out.

5 months ago '04        #4
ohhohh 
Props total: 10083 10 K  Slaps total: 879 879
Yikes
+1   

5 months ago '16        #5
Humblegold 
Props total: 12692 12 K  Slaps total: 3348 3 K
Depleting million year aqueducts to water golf courses
+13   

5 months ago '11        #6
indagame 
Props total: 13167 13 K  Slaps total: 1113 1 K
Gonna have to put some legislation in place, enact policies that work to be more efficient with water and sacrifices might still have to be made

On Netflix's Explained, there was an episode on water and they showed that Cape Town drastically reduced its water consumption when there was a looming rationing. They got lucky with rain too, but it's definitely possible for to start doing better. Sometimes I think Americans might be a different breed of selfish, but in the end I think its doable
+5   

5 months ago '17        #7
lucifershammer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 76118 76 K  Slaps total: 7224 7 K
I was really surprised to find out that the number one cattle state is Florida.

5 months ago '22        #8
Booda Sack  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 18184 18 K  Slaps total: 11775 11 K
Damn almost like when you build big cities in the desert it’s an issue
+2   

5 months ago '21        #9
Holycity21 
Props total: 1659 1 K  Slaps total: 100 100
Blew my mind when I saw them growing corn and other water intensive crops in southern Arizona. The hubris of humans knows no bounds
+1   

5 months ago '17        #10
Skrr 
Props total: 8543 8 K  Slaps total: 1470 1 K
You go to any comments and mention "global warming" and you'll get people flipping sh*ts and saying "it's fake GOD will provide"

like nah all our crops about to dry up
+1   

5 months ago '20        #11
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 75508 75 K  Slaps total: 13773 13 K
Are you really creating fear to raise people's water bill op ?

5 months ago '15        #12
ChoAssUp 
Props total: 100916 100 K  Slaps total: 5350 5 K
I went to the Antelope Canyon Marina today and the water level as of today is 300 feet at the deepest and its 160 feet below what it was in 1999. The people who work there told me it's mostly due to high demand from the big cities like L.A., Phx, Vegas etc.

The dark part is where the water used to be at.
+3   

5 months ago '13        #13
SimpinAintEz 
Props total: 56580 56 K  Slaps total: 11803 11 K
 Xiox said
Desalination
Arguably the most expensive method and is only remotely viable for those living near the ocean. Where the money for that coming from?

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  27
Image(s) inside What Books Are Yall Reading Right Now
75 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+101online now  16
[Workout] The difference between a weightlifter and a bodybuilder
97 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+296online now  15
Article inside Psychologists say only 30-50% of people have an internal monologue
273 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  8
Rick ross signs fat trel to be back on maybach music group label!
26 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy