Apr 6 - Will.i.am and Honeywell introduce the first connected mask for $299

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
+42  143
49 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 weeks ago '17        #1
5335 page views
106 comments

Ifeellikekobe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 66918 66 K  Slaps total: 4288 4 K
Apr 6 - Will.i.am and Honeywell introduce the first connected mask for $299

The story begins with Marc Benioff, the chief executive of the cloud computing company Salesforce, watching the MTV Video Music Awards last summer.

To be specific, he was watching Will.i.am, the rapper, entrepreneur and founding member of the Black Eyed Peas, cavorting around wearing what appeared to be a cross between a gas mask and an alien space helmet. So he called Will.i.am, whose full name is William Adams and who has been a regular at Salesforce’s Dreamforce tech conference since 2010, and asked what in the world he had on his face.

Will.i.am said it was an idea he had been noodling. So Mr. Benioff told Will.i.am that he really ought to talk to Darius Adamczyk, the chief executive of Honeywell, the multinational conglomerate that happened to be responsible for making millions of N95 face masks over the last year. Mr. Benioff made the introduction, and on April 8 the results of that conversation are coming to market.

After the surgical mask and the do-it-yourself mask and the fashion mask: the smart mask.

“It’s a new category,” said Will Lange, Honeywell’s chief commercial officer for personal protective equipment.

Called Xupermask and made of silicon with athletic mesh fabric on the sides, it is a joint venture between Will.i.am and Honeywell. It fits snugly around the bottom half of the face and comes with three dual-speed fans, a Honeywell HEPA filtration system (which the company is careful to say is not medical quality), as well as noise-canceling headphones, LED lights for nighttime, a rechargeable battery and Bluetooth capability. It allows you to play music and take calls, has a seal over the nose to keep glasses from fogging and makes the wearer look sort of like a sci-fi rhino warrior.

It’s not exactly subtle.

The mask costs $299, which is very expensive for a simple face mask but the average top-end price for noise-canceling headphones (less than Sony and Bose, more than Apple). It was designed by Jose Fernandez, the Hollywood costume designer who created the SpaceX suits for Elon Musk and worked on “Black Panther,” “The Avengers” and “X-Men 2.” And it is going to be sold in direct-to-consumer, Supreme-style drops.

It’s a bet, in other words, that hypebeast culture will embrace the mask. Coming just as vaccines are being more widely distributed and just as states like Texas, Indiana and Mississippi are relaxing mask mandates, the debut represents either the future of face masks or a yet another fashion-tech misfire.

“We are living in sci-fi times,” Will.i.am said. The pandemic, he said, “is straight out of a friggin’ movie. But we are wearing masks from yesterday’s movie. So I wanted to make a mask to fit the era that we’re in.”

That means, in part, learning the lesson of the sneaker. (Well, and the smartphone. The sneaker and the smartphone combined!)

Editors’ Picks

When an Estranged Relative Dies, Some Face Grief, Regret and Relief

Imagining the Timeless Childhood of Beverly Cleary’s Portland

When the Pandemic Came to Sullivan Prison
Continue reading the main story
After all, what are shoes, Will.i.am said, but protective equipment for the feet? We’ve just forgotten that was their original purpose because shoes have become a form of self-expression. You could not, he pointed out, “walk into a mall or a restaurant or an airplane without shoes on,” just as you aren’t supposed to walk into any of those places without a mask. “But you don’t have to tell anyone to wear shoes,” he said. Therefore, if you can make a mask serve the same purpose (or multipurpose), you win.

Will.i.am was speaking via Zoom from his HQ in Los Angeles, a space that contains a sound stage, a recording studio, his “fab lab” (where he makes prototypes) and now, his Xupermask team.

Will.i.am got the idea for Xupermask last March, just before his 45th birthday, when he was in Britain filming “The Voice” (he has been a judge on the program for 10 years) and Europe was beginning to go into lockdown. “I was worried about not being able to come in to America, and even if I was able to get in, about being on an airplane,” he said. So he called his hardware team and told them to get working.

He has been dipping in and out of technology since helping to found Beats Electronics in 2006. In 2014, he developed a fashion smartwatch called Puls, and in 2016 came out with fashion earbuds you could wear around your neck like jewelry — Naomi Campbell and Kendall Jenner were ambassadors — but neither product really took off (arguably the whole wearables market is not exactly a rocket ship). He doesn’t care. He loves research and development.

“I think L stands for learn, not loss,” he said.

Now, however, he has the might of Honeywell behind him and plans for Xupermask-related collaborations with artists and other brands. (He won’t name names, though he did talk about how much he loved the North Face-Gucci collaboration.) And he really, really doesn’t think masks are going away any time soon. Not if recent history is any indication.

“SARS happened in Japan and Southeast Asia, and they got over it, and they still wear masks,” he said, suggesting the same would be true in the West. Especially since masks seemed to have helped limit flu cases, too. In any case, whatever happens on the ground, he expects masks on airplanes to be the new norm. “That’s what I’m hearing,” he said.

He’s gotta feeling.

visit this link https://www.nytimes.com/2 .. face-mask.html
+8   

best
worst
106 comments

2 weeks ago '18        #2
SFamilyRep  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 99997 99 K  Slaps total: 12328 12 K
One thing about this man is he knows how to get to the bag. No matter how cringe we might think some of the thing are.
+77   

2 weeks ago '17        #3
Ifeellikekobe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2 OP
Props total: 66918 66 K  Slaps total: 4288 4 K
 SFamilyRep said
One thing about this man is he knows how to get to the bag. No matter how cringe we might think some of the thing are.
Oh yeah. They gonna be alot of people buying this mask
+16   

2 weeks ago '21        #4
MrDoubtfire 
Props total: 902 902  Slaps total: 419 419
nah i ain't buyin into this. i actually just threw out all of my masks yesterday

1 week ago '04        #5
skillahmang 
Props total: 43444 43 K  Slaps total: 9465 9 K
Hard!

Rocking Masks even when this pandemic is “over”

+65   

1 week ago '05        #6
kronzsw 
Props total: 14966 14 K  Slaps total: 3109 3 K
Buying one for work so i could listen to music
+32   

1 week ago '16        #7
B86 
Props total: 14591 14 K  Slaps total: 3079 3 K
Will I Am was behind Wink home automation. I used that sh*t for years then all of a sudden there's a mandatory monthly fee (I already own the hardware), and constant outages; one lasting two weeks with no updates from support, which will fu*k up an entire smart house. I ended up building a whole new setup based on Raspberry Pi and Home a*sistant because of his sh*tty a*s company (or company he owned a part of)

I said that to say, fu*k this dude and anything he stands behind or invests in.
+37   

1 week ago '05        #8
ONESUN187  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 4441 4 K  Slaps total: 1145 1 K
People start walking around with those will quickly become a target
+29   

1 week ago '17        #9
Cronion2415  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 19831 19 K  Slaps total: 977 977
Not too bad

+5   

1 week ago '06        #10
xastey 
Props total: 7682 7 K  Slaps total: 590 590
Ngl that looks pretty good. I got money to burn may cop one just for history purposes

Last edited by xastey; 04-07-2021 at 05:29 AM..
+7   

1 week ago '17        #11
thc 
Props total: 11898 11 K  Slaps total: 1080 1 K
 ONESUN187 said
its 300 bucks bro not even that serious
+19   

1 week ago '15        #12
Tobinmont  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 47099 47 K  Slaps total: 2771 2 K
Damn son. And we are gonna buy it. Lawwwd.
+5   

1 week ago '11        #13
Tooly Da Gawd 
Props total: 7493 7 K  Slaps total: 2019 2 K
 ONESUN187 said
bruh your phone is worth more lol
+27   

1 week ago '16        #14
The Waraba  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 9072 9 K  Slaps total: 2332 2 K
 Tobinmont said
Damn son. And we are gonna buy it. Lawwwd.
Bet !

+2   

1 week ago '17        #15
Officialjm3 
Props total: 7481 7 K  Slaps total: 1200 1 K
Only way something like this works if the worst is yet to come...
+4   

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 week ago '18        #16
Oswaldgatesjr  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 50545 50 K  Slaps total: 17269 17 K
Nah I like to see and hear clearly. n*gga might try to snuff me from the side son
+18   

1 week ago '15        #17
jealousonesen v 
Props total: 3545 3 K  Slaps total: 192 192
 ONESUN187 said
People walk around with airpods, beats, phones, etc lol
+8   

1 week ago '16        #18
The Waraba  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 9072 9 K  Slaps total: 2332 2 K
Shoulda bought some Honeywell stock smh
+4   

1 week ago '15        #19
suavehooper  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x56
Props total: 95776 95 K  Slaps total: 128575 128 K
he's way too late, the coroanvirus "pandemic" is already over

notice I put the pandemic is quotes, because this was never a real pandemic in the first place. Just a bunch of nonsense fear mongering

1 week ago '16        #20
BlackJew 
Props total: 4127 4 K  Slaps total: 1106 1 K
Does it come on black?
+5   

1 week ago '06        #21
new2hiphop 
Props total: 58358 58 K  Slaps total: 4057 4 K
 Oswaldgatesjr said
Nah I like to see and hear clearly. n*gga might try to snuff me from the side son
U won’t even hear the snuff coming , gang of lil niccas walking behind u sayin ima duff this nicca u listening to a mixtape with that damn smart helmet shyt
Then bam u punched u look wild asf.
+6   

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 week ago '18        #22
Oswaldgatesjr  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 50545 50 K  Slaps total: 17269 17 K
 new2hiphop said
U won’t even hear the snuff coming , gang of lil niccas walking behind u sayin ima duff this nicca u listening to a mixtape with that damn smart helmet shyt
Then bam u punched u look wild asf.
n*gga walking thru the hood like radio with that sh*t on
+8   

1 week ago '20        #23
Blafy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 27564 27 K  Slaps total: 2038 2 K
With these gloves

+16   

1 week ago '19        #24
MMA  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 3000 3 K  Slaps total: 189 189
If I was16-17 and I might have saved up for this...Now nahhhhhhhhhh
+4   

1 week ago '05        #25
pnoi89  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 22975 22 K  Slaps total: 2454 2 K
 ONESUN187 said
Like people walking around with Yeezy’s and other high end fashion stuff aren’t any more of a target?
+5   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
-32online now  19
Video inside Apr 15 - Latin Kings have Announced War against the Chicago PD
206 comments
21 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
+80online now  19
Image(s) inside Apr 15 - Certificate Of Vaccine I.D '19 reactions thus far...
304 comments
24 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
+19online now  16
Why I think Rory And Mal Left The Joe Budden Podcast
100 comments
24 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  11
Who is the greatest cornerback of all time skill wise