Danny Ainge spotted trouble with Celtics after this Jaylen Brown exchange

section    |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section BX SportsCenter

1 week ago '19        #1
2413 page views
39 comments

SuperPawgHunter 22 heat pts22
space
space
$1,565 | Props total: 4468 4468
Danny Ainge spotted trouble with Celtics after this Jaylen Brown exchange

That Celtics team was loaded with talent but couldn't make it past the second round of the playoffs, doomed by poor chemistry and inconsistent play. What they didn't lack, however, was confidence -- perhaps too much of it. (Or at least the wrong kind of it.)

Appearing on the latest episode of "The Michael Holley Podcast" alongside Celtics managing partners Wyc Grousbeck and Steve Pagliuca, C's president of basketball operations Danny Ainge shared a telling exchange he had with Jaylen Brown last season in the team's lunch room.

"He came and sat behind me, and he said, 'Do you think we're as good as the 1986 Celtics team?' " Ainge told host Michael Holley. "And I went, 'Oh my gosh. He's so young.' "

The 1986 Celtics, teeming with future Hall of Famers like Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish as well as a young Ainge, are considered one of the best teams in NBA history and steamrolled to a championship after a 67-win season.

The 2018-19 Celtics had Kyrie Irving, a still-recovering Gordon Hayward and a bunch of young kids. And to Ainge, Brown's comparison was a sign of that group's naivete.

"I mean, I just don't think they could even grasp that 1985 loss to the Lakers and the torture of that series and what that led (to), and Larry Bird was in his prime, one of the greatest Celtics of all time," Ainge said.

"But it was just fascinating. (Brown) was looking at it like matchup to matchup to matchup, like you're doing a video game. That was a real awakening to me -- just the perspective of guys."

Ainge then pinpointed what would prove to be a critical problem for the C's as players like Brown and Jayson Tatum fought for minutes on a crowded roster.

"Certain guys thought they were going to be All-Stars this year," Ainge said. "And they work hard all summer to reach these individual goals, but we just had too much individual goals. We didn't have enough guys that winning was the most important thing. And when you have 21- and 22-year-old kids, that's gonna happen.

Ainge added he understood that mindset, having toiled in Bird's shadow on the '80s Celtics. But those C's teams also were fiercely focused on a common goal of team success, while the '18-'19 Celtics failed to do so -- and paid the price.
+9   

best
worst
39 comments

1 week ago '18        #2
baddie 108 heat pts108
space
space
space
$7,725 | Props total: 23692 23692
Kyrie gone bruh, why you still on the Celtics d*ck...
+10   

1 week ago '19        #3
SuperPawgHunter 22 heat pts22 OP
space
space
 baddie said
Kyrie gone bruh, why you still on the Celtics d*ck...
You should ask the Celtics fans and media that same question. They're writing articles about Kyrie almost everyday; the podcast guys are talking about why he left weekly; and the fans are discussing on him on Reddit, RealGM, and FB groups.

What am I on his d*ck, but they're not?

1 week ago '17        #4
Lite 36 heat pts36
space
space
$6,945 | Props total: 17656 17656
Bullsh*t... you moved Jaylen too the bench and he was professional about it..

Meanwhile some starter was all smiles over a defensive 2 guard starting who wouldn't take many shots away from certain others

Shots were fired

+7   

1 week ago '14        #5
CEITEDMOFO 612 heat pts612
space
space
$25,970 | Props total: 36253 36253
+2   

1 week ago '19        #6
space
space
 Lite said
Bullsh*t... you moved Jaylen too the bench and he was professional about it..

Meanwhile some starter was all smiles over a defensive 2 guard starting who wouldn't take many shots away from certain others

Shots were fired

Jaylen wasn't professional about it.

It was stated a no. of times that those - not just Jaylen - guys were sulking all year.

When Mook pushed Jaylen Brown in the huddle, was that, somehow, Kyrie's doing?

Also, Kyrie only averaged 18.5 shots per game. That is far from chucker territory, especially with his efficiency. Jaylen went to the bench because he was playing like sh*t, He wanted Smart in because Smart was having more of an impact on the game.
+1   

1 week ago '19        #7
Droopy 86 heat pts86
space
space
$1,019 | Props total: 4771 4771
What i do know is kyrie isnt a leader, and there's absolutely no way he will carry brooklyn to the playoffs. The media propaganda really got yall brainwashed
+5   

1 week ago '14        #8
Mvpmania 106 heat pts106
space
space
$2,421 | Props total: 7057 7057
 Droopy said
What i do know is kyrie isnt a leader, and there's absolutely no way he will carry brooklyn to the playoffs. The media propaganda really got yall brainwashed
Man shut cho a*s up
+1   

1 week ago '19        #9
Droopy 86 heat pts86
space
space
 Mvpmania said
Man shut cho a*s up
Whats does cho mean?

Do you speakali English

1 week ago '17        #10
Lite 36 heat pts36
space
space
 SuperPawgHunter said
Jaylen wasn't professional about it.

It was stated a no. of times that those - not just Jaylen - guys were sulking all year.

When Mook pushed Jaylen Brown in the huddle, was that, somehow, Kyrie's doing?

Also, Kyrie only averaged 18.5 shots per game. That is far from chucker territory, especially with his efficiency. Jaylen went to the bench because he was playing like sh*t, He wanted Smart in because Smart was having more of an impact on the game.
not even gonna waste my time.. you're not here to have a discussion

mook pushed jaylen there for jaylen wasnt professional
mannnn if you dont gtfoh with that stupid a*s sh*t

+3   

1 week ago '04        #11
Tikyle2 4 heat pts
space
space
$5,318 | Props total: 2498 2498
As a Lakers fans, first and foremost fu*k the Celtics. With that being said Ainge is being a little disingenuous here. He talking about being in Bird's shadow and comparing that to Brown and Tatum. Ainge wasn't 1/10th the player Bird was. Tatum and Brown are both better than Hayward or any other wing the Celtics have.

Golden boy coach mismanaged the hell outta that team. Sure Kyrie didn't help but you got two young hungry a*s wings and you playing a semi-washed recovering wing forcing it. Coach deserves just as much blame as Kyrie and the Kids.
+9   

1 week ago '04        #12
gimmethat 1 heat pts
space
space
$13,531 | Props total: 6248 6248
Media and Ainge were praising Tatum so much ,made it impossible to be the one coming from the bench .
JB needed to keep growing and given a chance to learn leadership as a starter.

so many mistakes were made
+2   

1 week ago '19        #13
space
space
 Tikyle2 said
As a Lakers fans, first and foremost fu*k the Celtics. With that being said Ainge is being a little disingenuous here. He talking about being in Bird's shadow and comparing that to Brown and Tatum. Ainge wasn't 1/10th the player Bird was. Tatum and Brown are both better than Hayward or any other wing the Celtics have.

Golden boy coach mismanaged the hell outta that team. Sure Kyrie didn't help but you got two young hungry a*s wings and you playing a semi-washed recovering wing forcing it. Coach deserves just as much blame as Kyrie and the Kids.
This all fell on Kyrie, 'cause he made himself very unlikable this year with some of the things he said. People WANTED it all to be his fault.

That being said, if Kyrie's personality made him unlikable and is the reason everyone wanted to dump everything on him, then Brad Stevens did the opposite. He's so generic, that people have no motivation to blame him for anything. There is nothing about him to particularly love personality wise, but also nothing about him to make you hate him.

It's no secret that people's willingness or unwillingness to place blame comes down to likability or lack their of.

1 week ago '15        #14
The South 17 heat pts17
space
space
$8,421 | Props total: 20750 20750
 Droopy said
Whats does cho mean?

Do you speakali English

Be annoying all you want. Donít be a lil ho.

1 week ago '15        #15
kami 51 heat pts51
space
space
$17,508 | Props total: 23136 23136
Gordon Hayward held brown back and hes still on that roster.

1 week ago '19        #16
Droopy 86 heat pts86
space
space
 The South said

Be annoying all you want. Donít be a lil ho.

1 week ago '18        #17
BrooklynDamien 5 heat pts
space
space
$3,607 | Props total: 15899 15899
86 Celtics lol I would've laughed in his face and asked him for an eighth of whatever he's smoking IF it's weed...
+3   

1 week ago '13        #18
rifair 9 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,633 | Props total: 3625 3625
 Droopy said
Whats does cho mean?

Do you speakali English
You're on a hip hop forum complaining about people using slang?

1 week ago '15        #19
Quillajones 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,366 | Props total: 2615 2615
These athletes and their jiggy fly video games comparisons and ratings
+1   

1 week ago '17        #20
Harasnart 5 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,998 | Props total: 10332 10332
I feel bad if the Celtics have to pay jaylen brown 25 million a year. His contract is up this year.

Might be a worse deal than Wiggins

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 week ago '17        #21
SPdaGOAT 42 heat pts42
space
space
$18,336 | Props total: 39109 39109
I wish I could post that excerpt about video games everytime you jackasses try to say this garbage a*s era is the best.

1 week ago '14        #22
tygamann1 178 heat pts178
space
space
$13,555 | Props total: 17911 17911
Slapped endlessly throughout the season but everything I said came/coming to fruition and straight from the horses mouth at that

1 week ago '19        #23
KING48 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,322 | Props total: 2543 2543
Jaylen brown an all star ?

1 week ago '17        #24
Lite 36 heat pts36
space
space
 Harasnart said
I feel bad if the Celtics have to pay jaylen brown 25 million a year. His contract is up this year.

Might be a worse deal than Wiggins
brown and wiggins have absolutely nothing in common

1 week ago '14        #25
tygamann1 178 heat pts178
space
space
$13,555 | Props total: 17911 17911
And this whole Hayward held the youngins back is a detraction now that we know that it wasn't Kyrie who held them back

The truth is that Jaylen wasn't that good and wasn't ready for those expectations and couldn't perform to meet those expectations, and Tatum was still too ripe, inconsistent, nonaggressive and a bit slow-footed

Excuses being made out the a*s but the truth is that Jaylen and Jayson held the Celtics back, and it wasn't due to anything wrongdoing, but rather their inability to perform

Celtics actually got better in the off-season so y’all can miss me with @ing me every time they win a game this season, but we’ll see that Jaylen is no greater than the 4th best player on a championship squad and his inability to perform in Hayward’s absence was one of the hugest reasons last year was a failure

Last edited by tygamann1; 08-14-2019 at 02:21 PM..

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+73online now  48
Image(s) inside Yo trying to cop a popeyes chicken sandwich tonight is like trying to ..
355 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+33online now  38
Workout Change the look of your body in only 2 workouts w/ The Snatch Grip Hig..
69 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+57online now  32
DAME NO JUMPER INTERVEW goes off on JAY-Z "Everybody no Jay ain't sh!t" Fallou..
173 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+43online now  17
Image(s) inside BREAKING... Tee Grizzly Shot Up In Detroit, Manager Killed
296 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy