Aug 14 - Trump official: Statue of Liberty poem refers to Europeans

most viewed right now
58 comments @hiphop

section    |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section BX Daily Bugle

1 week ago '17        #1
490 page views
27 comments

kghah 1305 heat pts1305
space
space
space
$5,852 | Props total: 67888 67888
Aug 14 - Trump official: Statue of Liberty poem refers to Europeans

WASHINGTON (AP) — A top Trump administration official said Tuesday that the famous inscription on the Statue of Liberty welcoming immigrants into the country is about “people coming from Europe” and that America is looking to receive migrants “who can stand on their own two feet.”

The comments from Ken Cuccinelli, the acting director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, came a day after the Trump administration announced it would seek to deny green cards to migrants who seek Medicaid, food stamps, housing vouchers or other forms of public a*sistance. The move — and Cuccinelli’s defense — prompted an outcry from Democrats and immigration advocates who said the policy would favor wealthier immigrants and disadvantage those from poorer countries in Latin America and Africa.

“This administration finally admitted what we’ve known all along: They think the Statue of Liberty only applies to white people,” tweeted former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke, a Democratic presidential candidate.

The administration’s proposed policy shift comes as President Donald Trump is leaning more heavily into the restrictive immigration policies that have energized his core supporters and were central to his 2016 victory. He has also spoken disparagingly about immigration from majority black and Hispanic countries, including calling Mexican immigrants rapists and criminals when he launched his 2016 campaign. Last year, he privately branded Central American and African nations as “sh*thole” countries and he suggested the U.S. take in more immigrants from European countries like predominantly white Norway.

Cuccinelli said in an interview with CNN on Tuesday night that the Emma Lazarus poem emblazoned on the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty referred to “people coming from Europe where they had class based societies where people were considered wretched if they weren’t in the right class.”

Lazarus’ poem, written in 1883 to raise money to construct the Statue of Liberty’s pedestal and cast in bronze beneath the monument in 1903, served as a beacon to millions of immigrants who crossed past as they first entered the U.S. in New York Harbor. It reads, “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.”

Cuccinelli was asked earlier Tuesday on NPR whether the words “give me your tired, your poor” were part of the American ethos. Cuccinelli responded: “They certainly are. Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge.”

A hard-line conservative from Virginia, Cuccinelli was a failed Republican candidate for governor in 2013 after serving as the state’s attorney general. He backed Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas for president in 2016 and for a time was a harsh critic of Trump.

He is one of a slew of immigration hardliners brought in by Trump to implement the president’s policies. He was appointed to the post in June in a temporary capacity, which doesn’t require Senate confirmation.

Trump, asked Tuesday about Cuccinelli’s comments on NPR, appeared to back him up.

“I don’t think it’s fair to have the American taxpayer paying for people to come into the United States,” Trump told reporters before boarding Air Force One for Pennsylvania. “I think we’re doing it right.”

Immigrant rights groups strongly criticized the Trump administration’s new rules for immigrants receiving public a*sistance, warning that the changes would scare immigrants away from asking for needed help. And they voiced concern that officials were being given too much authority to decide whether someone is likely to need public a*sistance in the future.

Another Democratic presidential candidate, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, also condemned Cuccinelli’s comments.

“Our values are etched in stone on the Statue of Liberty. They will not be replaced,” she tweeted. “And I will f*ght for those values and for our immigrant communities.”

visit this link https://www.wavy.com/news .. -to-europeans/
+1   

best
worst
27 comments

1 week ago '12        #2
Di Warlord 9 heat pts
space
space
$13,150 | Props total: 18083 18083
the statue was dedicated by the French to the Americans, and even features Lady Liberty breaking free from her chains to symbolize the abolition of slavery

dude that made this dumbass comment must've forgotten that Europeans (especially his Italian ancestors) were treated like sh*t. They didn't fu*k with their non-English speaking Catholic a*ses. They even went as far as changing their last names because the immigration officers couldn't pronounce their names. It wasn't until WW1 where most of that discrimination went away for the European migrants (except for the Germans)

If you look at the Republicans of today, you'll see they have a problem with accepting migrants that are fleeing warfare & poverty. Well:

-the Italians were fleeing violence in Italy and widespread poverty from the 1850s-today
-the Irish were escaping the famine and British persecution from 1780s-onwards (unsure when their migration levels dropped, I'd imagine it would've been after Ireland gained independence in the 1920s)
-The Norwegians fled war in the early 1800s and poverty after separation from Sweden
-The Spanish came in droves due to warfare, poverty, and dictators in the late 1800s-today
-The Germans were the largest group to immigrate to the United States. Even had a term for those coming in 1848, due to the revolutions that were taking place in Germany. They were called 48'ers

and all of this migration took place as the Chinese were literally being excluded. See the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882

I could go on & on, but this isn't homework and I don't care that much. Anyone that has a basic understanding of history should see right through this bullsh*t. Immigrants aren't usually a country's "best", and when they are, they're fleeing oppression and immediate danger. The Euros that came through didn't have to rely on SSI, welfare, or healthcare, because those things didn't exist before the Great Depression, when everyone was already settled in the US
+27   

1 week ago '16        #3
NoLvstName 154 heat pts154
space
space
$9,521 | Props total: 52747 52747
 Di Warlord said
the statue was dedicated by the French to the Americans, and even features Lady Liberty breaking free from her chains to symbolize the abolition of slavery

dude that made this dumbass comment must've forgotten that Europeans (especially his Italian ancestors) were treated like sh*t. They didn't fu*k with their non-English speaking Catholic a*ses. They even went as far as changing their last names because the immigration officers couldn't pronounce their names. It wasn't until WW1 where most of that discrimination went away for the European migrants (except for the Germans)

If you look at the Republicans of today, you'll see they have a problem with accepting migrants that are fleeing warfare & poverty. Well:

-the Italians were fleeing violence in Italy and widespread poverty from the 1850s-today
-the Irish were escaping the famine and British persecution from 1780s-onwards (unsure when their migration levels dropped, I'd imagine it would've been after Ireland gained independence in the 1920s)
-The Norwegians fled war in the early 1800s and poverty after separation from Sweden
-The Spanish came in droves due to warfare, poverty, and dictators in the late 1800s-today
-The Germans were the largest group to immigrate to the United States. Even had a term for those coming in 1848, due to the revolutions that were taking place in Germany. They were called 48'ers

and all of this migration took place as the Chinese were literally being excluded. See the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882

I could go on & on, but this isn't homework and I don't care that much. Anyone that has a basic understanding of history should see right through this bullsh*t. Immigrants aren't usually a country's "best", and when they are, they're fleeing oppression and immediate danger. The Euros that came through didn't have to rely on SSI, welfare, or healthcare, because those things didn't exist before the Great Depression, when everyone was already settled in the US
Grand Opening Grand Closing
+7   

1 week ago '07        #4
iswerve 210 heat pts210
space
space
$7,290 | Props total: 14569 14569
another distraction tactic.....so the news media/cycle can be consumed by this nonsense, debating it....while more sinister sh*t is being done

dont feed the trolls
+3   

1 week ago '12        #5
OldBusiness 183 heat pts183
space
space
$31,838 | Props total: 61687 61687
Fox News has been sounding the dog whistle for white supremacy this week

Even ran an article criticizing Anderson Cooper for pointing out the US Census says by 2044 whites will not be the majority.

Read how they wrote this sh*t

+6   

1 week ago '16        #6
Ghostface Killa 7 heat pts
space
space
$1,253 | Props total: 4408 4408
He ain't lying tho

Nothing they did back then was for us

1 week ago '12        #7
Di Warlord 9 heat pts
space
space
$13,150 | Props total: 18083 18083
 Ghostface k*lla said
He ain't lying tho

Nothing they did back then was for us
he's making it sound as if the Europeans all came and worked hard via legitimate means, and took no offers from the government for a*sistance

when in reality, social govt programs didn't really exist before the Great Depression, and those that were really broke got cheap af land that was dangerous and isolated for weirdos to live in (ie. Norwegians in Minnesota). Europeans of that time also turned to criminal activity to support their communities (mafias, political corruption, labor union gooning, etc.)

A Republican of today would really hate on their European ancestors. They were largely looked at as Catholic non-English speaking non-conforming to "American" society, drunkards. Don't believe me? PBS did a documentary on Prohibition. They even said that a lot of the reasons why Prohibition was passed was due to the Germans setting up beer halls and wandering around cities drunk af causing problems & creating "German a*sociations", which had the "native" Americans scared af
+16   

1 week ago '06        #8
Skateboard T 57 heat pts57
space
space
$26,694 | Props total: 44673 44673

From the Federal Government (national parks service team put together to investigate the statue's history and meaning):

Claim 4: By the time of its dedication in 1886, European immigration to the United States had increased so substantially that earlier meanings a*sociated with the statue were eclipsed, and this a*sociation has continued to be the predominant understanding of the statue’s meaning from then until now.

Finding: The conventional interpretation of the statue as a monument to American immigrants is a twentieth-century phenomenon. In its early years (1871-1886), that view was only rarely and vaguely expressed, while references to the Civil War and abolition of slavery occur repeatedly from its first introduction to the United States in 1871 up to and including the dedication celebrations in 1886. Immigrants did not actually see the Statue of Liberty in large numbers until after its unveiling. In the early twentieth century, the statue became a popular symbol for nativists and white supremacists. Official use of the statue's image to appeal to immigrants only began in earnest with public efforts to Americanize immigrant children and the government’s advertising campaign for World War I bonds. The "immigrant" interpretation gained momentum in the 1930s as Americans prepared for war with Hitler and by the 1950s, it had become the predominant understanding of the statue's original purpose and meaning.

Source:
+6   

1 week ago '17        #9
Ifeellikekobe 114 heat pts114
space
space
$8,454 | Props total: 37086 37086
And Some have the nerve to claim we just throwing the word racism around
+7   

1 week ago '04        #10
erickonasis 26 heat pts26
space
space
$33,015 | Props total: 36576 36576
+10   

1 week ago '04        #11
space
space
+6   

1 week ago '04        #12
space
space
+2   

1 week ago '04        #13
space
space
+12   

1 week ago '10        #14
Sk8bamboo 48 heat pts48
space
space
$1,595 | Props total: 1482 1482
How you gonna rebrand the sentiment of a gift . I hope trump and friend all suffer
+1   

1 week ago '05        #15
Rockstar718 75 heat pts75
space
space
$12,907 | Props total: 17268 17268
 erickonasis said
Conservative evangelicals are pretty much the American Taliban
+8   

Top 10 most propped recently  1 week ago '16        #16
00010111 137 heat pts137
space
space
$5,203 | Props total: 19645 19645
@

Don't shirk this bullsh*t, I know your bi*ch a*s heard this particular dog whistle.
+3   

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 week ago '13        #17
dtdroid 171 heat pts171
space
space
$28,478 | Props total: 41825 41825
 00010111 said
@

Don't shirk this bullsh*t, I know your bi*ch a*s heard this particular dog whistle.
What the fu*k do I have to do with this thread

1 week ago '08        #18
stlcardinals19 35 heat pts35
space
space
$20,218 | Props total: 9091 9091
Trump admin ain't even trying to hide it anymore. I can't believe how desensitized to blatant racism from a Presidential regime I've become now, but I can't even muster up outrage anymore. Just been facepalming for 3 yrs straight now
+3   

1 week ago '19        #19
Von Doom 
space
space
space
$27 | Props total: 52 52
This my 5th account. And its not even debatable who directpy profited amd benifited from privilage

Yall are riggt about Euros not havibg to be on Government programs.

But they were the slum of America. They brought famine, disease, nation wide corruption and a litany of other problems.

All that unchecked illegal lifestyles living. Grew into lies about Education, fake certificates, fake loans, fake mortages..when none of c9nsisted of actually money. It was a bargain-negotiate era.

I keep saying there will never be any substantial proof that those people earned their living ...PERIOD! Having a history of Brutality, r*pe, pillaging, robbing and manipulating what is perceived as Economics is their legacy
+2   

1 week ago '09        #20
ShadyVsEminem 252 heat pts252
space
space
$23,408 | Props total: 9943 9943
The statue of get the fu*k out of here peasants unless white and Norwegian
+1   

1 week ago '12        #21
OldBusiness 183 heat pts183
space
space
$31,838 | Props total: 61687 61687
 Di Warlord said

Hot damn.

About to go read.about the contents of this post.
+1   

1 week ago '04        #22
space
space
 dtdroid said
What the fu*k do I have to do with this thread
did u wear your blackface today?
+1   

1 week ago '07        #23
iswerve 210 heat pts210
space
space
$7,290 | Props total: 14569 14569
 Ifeellikekobe said
And Some have the nerve to claim we just throwing the word racism around
they say you racist for calling out racism.....i swear we truly are living in bizarro world
+3   

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 week ago '13        #24
dtdroid 171 heat pts171
space
space
 erickonasis said
did u wear your blackface today?

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 week ago '13        #25
dtdroid 171 heat pts171
space
space
 iswerve said
they say you racist for calling out racism.....i swear we truly are living in bizarro world
Not one white person on bx has ever accused you of racism on account of accurately pointing out racism.

That's the part that always gets left out: when you're inserting race into a topic for which it is NOT relevant.

This situation isn't those other situations where race baiting actually was taking place..The president actually was dog whistling a racist sentiment with this press release. When did any bx member tell you otherwise?

Your dishonesty makes for a good straw man.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+38online now  23
Workout Change the look of your body in only 2 workouts w/ The Snatch Grip Hig..
88 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+60online now  15
DAME NO JUMPER INTERVEW goes off on JAY-Z "Everybody no Jay ain't sh!t" Fallou..
195 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  8
Image(s) inside The TOP 5 MOST CRINGEST, UNCOMFORTABLE, DISTRUBING BRILLANT MOVIES OF ..
49 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+64online now  4
Video inside How much sugar is in Sodas (quick re-look)
74 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy