Aug 13 - Past-due student loans, credit card debt could weigh on U.S. growth

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section BX Daily Bugle

6 days ago '11        #1
532 page views
22 comments

Sin 2207 heat pts2207
space
space
$32,928 | Props total: 102011 102011
Aug 13 - Past-due student loans, credit card debt could weigh on U.S. growth

NEW YORK (Reuters) - More people in the United States appear to be struggling to keep up with their credit card and student loan debt, which could put pressure on one of the strongest drivers of economic growth.

U.S. credit card balances grew to $868 billion in the second quarter, from $848 billion in the previous three months, and the proportion of those balances seriously past due is on the rise, according to Federal Reserve Bank of New York data released on Tuesday.

U.S. consumer debt has continued to hit new peaks, rising $192 billion, or 1.4%, to $13.86 trillion in the second quarter. The figure is higher than the previous peak of $12.68 trillion before the 2008 global financial crisis, according to the New York Fed’s U.S. household debt and credit report.

While total student loan balances decreased slightly, from $1.49 trillion to $1.48 trillion in the quarter, the share of those loans being left unpaid for several months increased.

Payments on some 9.9% of student loan balances started being at least 90 days late during the three months that ended in June, compared with 9.4% in the January-March period.

A comparable measure shows credit card users, too, are falling behind. Payments on about 5.2% of those balances were 90 days overdue in the latest quarter, up from 5.0% in the first quarter. The figure has been on the rise since 2017. Similar delinquency rates declined for auto loans, home equity lines of credit, mortgages and other debt categories.

Consumer spending accounts for two-thirds of activity in the world’s largest economy, and a growing job market and higher wages have helped the longest U.S. economic expansion on record continue this year.

But fears the U.S.-China trade war and other issues could cloud that economic picture led the Federal Reserve to cut interest rates for the first time since 2008 late last month. That could ease pressures for some borrowers and cause consumers to load up on more debt to make purchases, a short-term stimulus for the economy.

“We may see more consumers making a large purchase they had been putting off because it seems relatively more affordable,” said Dieter Scherer, a financial planner at Adaptive Wealth Solutions LLC.

“We’ll likely see credit card rates decline by a small amount in response to the cut in the target federal funds rate. However, charge-off rates have been increasing over the past few years, which has also contributed to increased credit card rates among less credit-worthy consumers. So, I’d expect the effect to be more muted among those with low credit scores.”

visit this link https://www.reuters.com/a .. KCN1V31HA?il=0
+2   

best
worst
22 comments

6 days ago '04        #2
Exs 535 heat pts535
space
space
$14,928 | Props total: 36910 36910
Let that bi*ch build.

800 Billion worth of credit card debt divided amongst every citizen in the US is a measly 2700.00.

meanwhile the country itself is in a 23 Trillion dollar hole with even less accountability than the citiziens' have for their personal debts

This is a trickle down effect.

Collapse is a good remedy.
+17   

6 days ago '19        #3
Bucks414 38 heat pts38
space
space
$1,031 | Props total: 2655 2655
had credit card debt when i was 21 but managed to pay it off within 2 years now i understand how to leverage credit cards to my benefit, cant believe I how many people dont understand the benefits to using credit cards and paying the balance off monthly.

as far as college loans i only racked up 4k while i received 18k in grants

+4   

5 days ago '04        #4
skillahmang 3 heat pts
space
space
$28,991 | Props total: 24708 24708
 Exs said
Let that bi*ch build.

800 Billion worth of credit card debt divided amongst every citizen in the US is a measly 2700.00.

meanwhile the country itself is in a 23 Trillion dollar hole with even less accountability than the citiziens' have for their personal debts

Real sh*t.

5 days ago '04        #5
skillahmang 3 heat pts
space
space
$28,991 | Props total: 24708 24708
 Bucks414 said
had credit card debt when i was 21 but managed to pay it off within 2 years now i understand how to leverage credit cards to my benefit, cant believe I how many people dont understand the benefits to using credit cards and paying the balance off monthly.

as far as college loans i only racked up 4k while i received 18k in grants

Cool story bro.
+7   

5 days ago '16        #6
OWPE 109 heat pts109
space
space
$6,660 | Props total: 17152 17152
Why don't those democrat universities lower their tuition fees? That way students wouldn't need to get loans. The rich universities should take a pay cut.

5 days ago '04        #7
Hakim Cobain 4 heat pts
space
space
$7,338 | Props total: 16011 16011
 OWPE said
Why don't those democrat universities lower their tuition fees? That way students wouldn't need to get loans. The rich universities should take a pay cut.

I actually agree with you, trump university should definitely reduce their tuition rates because......wait there is no more trump university

+3   

5 days ago '15        #8
TheCompanyMan 61 heat pts61
space
space
$1,007 | Props total: 3025 3025
 OWPE said

Because all those private institutions are taking public tax dollars.
+3   

5 days ago '19        #9
Bucks414 38 heat pts38
space
space
 TheCompanyMan said
Because all those private institutions are taking public tax dollars.
A state college is a private institution?

5 days ago '15        #10
space
space
 Bucks414 said
A state college is a private institution?
Nah. It’s in response to the comment of “democrat universities” which I took to mean public schools. Private schools like ivy leagues or private Methodist colleges or Liberty university or whatever lobbied the government in the 70s to get tax subsidies to fund their conservative ideologies, forcing public universities, which are legally required to be open to a broader base of the population, to raise tuition.

5 days ago '19        #11
Bucks414 38 heat pts38
space
space
 TheCompanyMan said
Nah. It’s in response to the comment of “democrat universities” which I took to mean public schools. Private schools like ivy leagues or private Methodist colleges or Liberty university or whatever lobbied the government in the 70s to get tax subsidies to fund their conservative ideologies, forcing public universities, which are legally required to be open to a broader base of the population, to raise tuition.
I think public universities are raising tuition not based on that but because college loans are so easy to get and colleges can get away with it
+4   

5 days ago '15        #12
space
space
Capitalisms dirty little secret: eventually you run out of customers.

+9   

5 days ago '14        #13
King Maximus 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,616 | Props total: 4878 4878
 Exs said
Let that bi*ch build.

If collapse is “allowed” to happen

It really broke in 08 but what Followed..
+1   

5 days ago '04        #14
Exs 535 heat pts535
space
space
 King Maximus said
If collapse is “allowed” to happen

It really broke in 08 but what Followed..
08 was a specific section of greed and irresponsibility. it got bailed out because the entire house of cards could come tumbling even if one tiny segment of it failed.

the whole thing is failing now. top to bottom.

tax money funds pedophilia and s*x trafficking for the elite.

social security pays for a generation of takers that never gave a thing back to their children other than stories of war and a mission to the moon

this is the end of the smoke and mirrors.

Last edited by Exs; 08-13-2019 at 02:24 PM..
+3   

5 days ago '15        #15
Prad Bitt 
space
space
$2,400 | Props total: 4741 4741
 Exs said
08 was a specific section of greed and irresponsibility. it got bailed out because the entire house of cards could come tumbling even if one tiny segment of it failed.

the whole thing is failing now. top to bottom.

tax money funds pedophilia and s*x trafficking for the elite.

social security pays for a generation of takers that never gave a thing back to their children other than stories of war and a mission to the moon

this is the end of the smoke and mirrors.
I love this kind of talk cause it’s pure truth, but it will be dark days ahead, suggest to get fit and work on being offensive and defensive in urban situations.
+2   

5 days ago '04        #16
Exs 535 heat pts535
space
space
 Prad Bitt said
I love this kind of talk cause it’s pure truth, but it will be dark days ahead, suggest to get fit and work on being offensive and defensive in urban situations.
never better prepared is the motto
i'm way passed presence
workin for tomorrow

off top!

+1   

5 days ago '18        #17
Gmac 
space
space
space
$443 | Props total: 1339 1339
We all know what needs to happen here. Government bailout to erase all consumer and student debt.

For the people!!

5 days ago '06        #18
kip99 
space
space
space
$683 | Props total: 363 363
 Exs said
Let that bi*ch build.

This guy gets it!

5 days ago '16        #19
foshoVoodoo 290 heat pts290
space
space
$17,019 | Props total: 39672 39672
the rich gotta pay for something

fu*king freeloaders
+1   

5 days ago '15        #20
space
space
 Bucks414 said
I think public universities are raising tuition not based on that but because college loans are so easy to get and colleges can get away with it
Can’t argue with a belief.

5 days ago '13        #21
North!!! 455 heat pts455
space
space
$62,901 | Props total: 58488 58488
College debt the only debt that can’t be erased by bankruptcy

Stay woke

5 days ago '12        #22
Di Warlord 9 heat pts
space
space
$13,160 | Props total: 18082 18082
no sh*t

more and more people put themselves into debt, the less purchasing power the average citizen has yeah I may make 50k, but if I'm making min payments on my mortgage, min payments on my CC and min payments on my student loans... how am I supposed to be out buying sh*t with money that I actually have?

interest rates for CCs and student loans (along with personal loans) make it so that you're hustling backwards if you take your time to pay em off. It's like trying to swim your way out of quick sand
+2   

5 days ago '12        #23
OldBusiness 183 heat pts183
space
space
$31,787 | Props total: 61476 61476
 Hakim Cobain said
I actually agree with you, trump university should definitely reduce their tuition rates because......wait there is no more trump university

Hot damn
+1   

Join bx

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+28online now  24
Video inside Madden 20 - This Play Got Him A Refund!
68 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
+40online now  18
Freddie Gibbs Says F*ck Kaepernick, and Hopes Jay-Z Owns A Team
84 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  10
Image(s) inside YFN Lucci wants all the smoke from Young Thug