Want to start a career in tech? Ask me anything

most viewed right now
86 comments @wild'ish

section    |  0 bx goons and 3 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section The Money Spot

New replies show every 10 seconds
 1 month ago '04        #51
shady4180 3 heat pts
space
space
$4,739 | Props total: 1174 1174
Great Thread!

I'm mid career, making good money with some great benefits, but looking to make myself more marketable and broaden my skills. I don't want to be automated out of a job.
My career has been heavily general accounting and compliance based...Been looking into learning some coding, what would you recommend I start with to translate my experience into an IT related field? I have dual degrees, Econ and Accounting.

Should I start with Javascript?
+2   

1 month ago '16        #52
Boogersugar 83 heat pts83
space
space
$6,318 | Props total: 23371 23371
 shady4180 said
Great Thread!

I'm mid career, making good money with some great benefits, but looking to make myself more marketable and broaden my skills. I don't want to be automated out of a job.
My career has been heavily general accounting and compliance based...Been looking into learning some coding, what would you recommend I start with to translate my experience into an IT related field? I have dual degrees, Econ and Accounting.

Should I start with Javascript?
Javascript and web development in general is the broadest application of coding and will give you the most career opportunities if you want to go that route but switching careers to go into web development would probably be a bit of a step back in pay for a while.

What exactly do you do now? Depending on the role you may be better off continuing to specialize and doing CISSP or something

1 month ago '19        #53
Perfectibilist 
space
space
space
$383 | Props total: 1158 1158
I see that Python is a pretty hot coding language at the moment. What are you thoughts on that as an insider?

Also, if you had to choose between going into Cybersecurity and coding, which would it be?

1 month ago '04        #54
shady4180 3 heat pts
space
space
$4,739 | Props total: 1174 1174
 Boogersugar said
Javascript and web development in general is the broadest application of coding and will give you the most career opportunities if you want to go that route but switching careers to go into web development would probably be a bit of a step back in pay for a while.

What exactly do you do now? Depending on the role you may be better off continuing to specialize and doing CISSP or something
Right now, I'm in banking and doing compliance work on bank spending. It's not that exciting, but I do like improving processes through Macros (Excel) and such.

I'm feeling my job might be automated in the near future, and I'm not anywhere near retirement age so I'd like to broaden my skill set. I though I would need to learn JavaScript, before anything specific such as Python or something similar.

I also thought about learning SQL, but confused on where to start.

1 month ago '17        #55
Kingz2 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$5,866 | Props total: 15204 15204
 Tonero said
Just use wordpress. Or it musnt be a blog make sure u have a personal project that showcases some sort of feature.

It must even be complete matter of fact my last two jobs have been come incomplete projects.

As long as you understand the concepts and can vocalize it your golden
Iíve used Wordpress with php. I have a portfolio online I have to redesign it though so that itís mobile friendly. It has 2 projects one is a password generator and and the other is a barbershop appointment web application.

Whatís tripping me up is the technical terminology I just need someone to give me a coding challenge so I can show what I can do but getting to that part has been difficult

1 month ago '12        #56
BlessInTheSky 8 heat pts
space
space
$7,355 | Props total: 14604 14604
I wanna quit my job and go into something like this. But it would be a total career change. I live in the Bay Area so it's pretty much the best to place to be for tech. But at the same time, it also means it's way more competitive because most of the people who want to work in tech move out here.

I honestly don't feel like I'm smart enough to do this. Everybody says, "Yeah you should learn to code!" But if it was easy everybody would be doing it.

How stressful is your job?

There's so much to learn in this field that it's pretty intimidating. Aside from the stuff like HTML/CSS - there's so much more out there that I wouldn't even know what to pick.

1 month ago '05        #57
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
$8,329 | Props total: 5907 5907
 BlessInTheSky said
I wanna quit my job and go into something like this. But it would be a total career change. I live in the Bay Area so it's pretty much the best to place to be for tech. But at the same time, it also means it's way more competitive because most of the people who want to work in tech move out here.

I honestly don't feel like I'm smart enough to do this. Everybody says, "Yeah you should learn to code!" But if it was easy everybody would be doing it.

How stressful is your job?

There's so much to learn in this field that it's pretty intimidating. Aside from the stuff like HTML/CSS - there's so much more out there that I wouldn't even know what to pick.
Work can be stressful especially when u want to make more and take on extra work. Any high paying gigs will need some work for sure.

Like right now after my current side project I'm done with side work for the rest of the year. I'm trying to settle down next year with my girl so I don't want to b stressed out no more

1 month ago '12        #58
BlessInTheSky 8 heat pts
space
space
$7,355 | Props total: 14604 14604
 Tonero said
Work can be stressful especially when u want to make more and take on extra work. Any high paying gigs will need some work for sure.

Like right now after my current side project I'm done with side work for the rest of the year. I'm trying to settle down next year with my girl so I don't want to b stressed out no more
What your hours look like?

1 month ago '14        #59
keepitrio 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$239 | Props total: 231 231
So you can be a software engineer without having an engineering degree?

4 weeks ago '04        #60
LikeABoss38701 12 heat pts12
space
space
$2,747 | Props total: 2501 2501
Question...I'm considering a career change, even thought I earned my bachelor's degree in Computer Information Systems, I have been working in fields such as banking & fundraising... What certifications should I be looking into to build a solid foundation.. I'm honestly not sure which IT avenue would be the best, but I would definitely appreciate some advice/guidance on the matter. I like in Mississippi, so as you can imagine, the IT field isn't exactly booming here.

4 weeks ago '05        #61
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 keepitrio said
So you can be a software engineer without having an engineering degree?
People switch careers all the time. I have a co worker who was a virologist and switched. Usually have a degree is advised as everyone else will most likely have one.

LikeABoss38701 said
Question...I'm considering a career change, even thought I earned my bachelor's degree in Computer Information Systems, I have been working in fields such as banking & fundraising... What certifications should I be looking into to build a solid foundation.. I'm honestly not sure which IT avenue would be the best, but I would definitely appreciate some advice/guidance on the matter. I like in Mississippi, so as you can imagine, the IT field isn't exactly booming here.
Depends on what you want to do. Any physical IT field I.e networking needs certification.

The good thing with software is u can get certified in AWS for instance but u don't need anything but ur degree and little experience to get started.

If you have management experience you can consider wing a development manager. Some code is needed but not all

4 weeks ago '16        #62
GazaVybz7 1 heat pts
space
space
$848 | Props total: 1284 1284
One Of My Bros , Has a degree in IT , but caught a Felony on some bullsh*t.
He still has the skills as this n*gga helps me sometimes but He be asking me for advice and honestly Idk what to tell him but freelance.

Anybody have any advice I could tell him ?

4 weeks ago '17        #63
Kingz2 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$5,866 | Props total: 15204 15204
Has anyone delt with recruiters did good on a online code test that they required for JP Morgan and they submitted my application to them. What’s the likely you get a call back for a actual interview. It’s a CTH

4 weeks ago '08        #64
606robin 29 heat pts29
space
space
$7,263 | Props total: 7761 7761
 GazaVybz7 said
One Of My Bros , Has a degree in IT , but caught a Felony on some bullsh*t.
He still has the skills as this n*gga helps me sometimes but He be asking me for advice and honestly Idk what to tell him but freelance.

Anybody have any advice I could tell him ?
He can't touch any place that has a SC-TS required clearances. Try and tell him to shoot for making his own repair or consulting. Or learn how to code, and make his own business. Or just shoot for IT positions not dealing with clearances.

4 weeks ago '06        #65
detroitdipset 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,144 | Props total: 1968 1968
Man I been on this path for quite sometime. I am studying SQL, SSIS and SSRS. My day to day is so busy i kinda fell behind but i have seen great things in this field.

Ive learned though this is something you have to give extreme focus to. I hope to be started sometime next year.

What are you thoughts on this segment of the field Business Analytics

3 weeks ago '18        #66
Rosebud 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$1,082 | Props total: 2486 2486
.NET / Angular checking in.

3 weeks ago '18        #67
Rosebud 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$1,082 | Props total: 2486 2486
 justin747 said
I'm the exception to this rule. I've been in tech my whole life. I can balance everything.

If I can't use multiple languages then I don't even wanna get involved. My advantage in tech jobs is that I can use literally every OS at a high level. I use Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux daily.
stfu

3 weeks ago '05        #68
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 detroitdipset said
Man I been on this path for quite sometime. I am studying SQL, SSIS and SSRS. My day to day is so busy i kinda fell behind but i have seen great things in this field.

Ive learned though this is something you have to give extreme focus to. I hope to be started sometime next year.

What are you thoughts on this segment of the field Business Analytics
Business Analysis needs a strong focus in SQL and Statistics. Cause thats all you will be doing mainly. Create models using a ton of data

3 weeks ago '13        #69
vandalizm 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,534 | Props total: 5782 5782
 Blackaveli said
What can I do right now to learn this and stand out to get a job over n*ggas with degrees?
Keeping it all the way 100 there is literally nothing stopping you from setting up a website and calling yourself an expert UX/UI guy and getting work tomorrow - Nothing.

This is an output based business. As long as you do good work you are good. Noone cares about degrees or certificates you do good work and make my life easier youre good money. Quite frankly I'd rather work with someone that can work on a team well vs the best talent. 85% good is good enough.

If you really want to get started in this this is what I would suggest.

1) Learn Google Analytics Basics - you can get certified in a day with Google Analytics Academy - learning the terminology and basics of GA works is mandatory.

2) Learn Terminology - get comfortable with the language used to execute what you want to do. This should be more than enough:

3) Set up your own "proprietary" checklist by reading articles and tutorials. Literally just read every article you can find and cut + paste each new nugget into a Google Doc. These are some great articles:
- - pay attention to the "What Happens During a UX Audit?" section to get a full grasp of your targeted outcome. Another one:
-
-
-
**these articles are more than enough to get you rolling. Note all that sh*t in a process on a document and you are ready to go.

4) Learn the TOOLS of the industry and how to deliver a project:

5) See what other companies audits look like. Videos are super useful see what these guys are doing:
- these guys used to charge $40 for a 5 minute review of your site and would go over things like "if you looked at the website 1x for 5 seconds do you know what the site is about?" and other things that may be confusing the user.
See more videos here:

Lastly

6) Make yourself a profile on Fiverr and charge a flat fee like $50 for UX UI review. The object on this is not to make a bunch of money but to get a handful of projects completed. This is the key to making yourself full time.

Really man - all it takes is doing the work and inserting yourself where you are needed there is literally nothing stopping you from doing this.
+3   

3 weeks ago '16        #70
Blackaveli 
space
space
$1,129 | Props total: 1542 1542
 vandalizm said
Keeping it all the way 100 there is literally nothing stopping you from setting up a website and calling yourself an expert UX/UI guy and getting work tomorrow - Nothing.

This is an output based business. As long as you do good work you are good. Noone cares about degrees or certificates you do good work and make my life easier youre good money. Quite frankly I'd rather work with someone that can work on a team well vs the best talent. 85% good is good enough.

If you really want to get started in this this is what I would suggest.

1) Learn Google Analytics Basics - you can get certified in a day with Google Analytics Academy - learning the terminology and basics of GA works is mandatory.

2) Learn Terminology - get comfortable with the language used to execute what you want to do. This should be more than enough:

3) Set up your own "proprietary" checklist by reading articles and tutorials. Literally just read every article you can find and cut + paste each new nugget into a Google Doc. These are some great articles:
- - pay attention to the "What Happens During a UX Audit?" section to get a full grasp of your targeted outcome. Another one:
-
-
-
**these articles are more than enough to get you rolling. Note all that sh*t in a process on a document and you are ready to go.

4) Learn the TOOLS of the industry and how to deliver a project:

5) See what other companies audits look like. Videos are super useful see what these guys are doing:
- these guys used to charge $40 for a 5 minute review of your site and would go over things like "if you looked at the website 1x for 5 seconds do you know what the site is about?" and other things that may be confusing the user.
See more videos here:

Lastly

6) Make yourself a profile on Fiverr and charge a flat fee like $50 for UX UI review. The object on this is not to make a bunch of money but to get a handful of projects completed. This is the key to making yourself full time.

Really man - all it takes is doing the work and inserting yourself where you are needed there is literally nothing stopping you from doing this.
Thanks so much for the detailed information man!! I really appreciate it!!
+2   

3 weeks ago '13        #71
vandalizm 2 heat pts
space
space
 Blackaveli said
Get to it broski!

Iím a college drop out Iím doing my own thing now but when I was at my last agency I had an executive position and my a*sistant had a masters from USC.

None of that sh*t matters this is an output based business
+3   

3 weeks ago '13        #72
vandalizm 2 heat pts
space
space
 Blackaveli said
One more thing - if you want to skip a few levels immediately:
- put together $300
- figure out an app you want to create (something simple)
- create the wire frames for the app and how it works
- Iíll link you with a cheap dev
- have them create it
- do a few rounds of feedback and edits
- launch the app and put it on the App Store

Practice your own UX / UI audit on YOUR OWN app

Iím launching a web app soon Iíll send over for your review for your portfolio.

Now you really gettin to the chicken you just jumped past 85% of your competition thatís 2 projects under your belt.
+5   

3 weeks ago '16        #73
Blackaveli 
space
space
$1,129 | Props total: 1542 1542
 vandalizm said
One more thing - if you want to skip a few levels immediately:
- put together $300
- figure out an app you want to create (something simple)
- create the wire frames for the app and how it works
- Iíll link you with a cheap dev
- have them create it
- do a few rounds of feedback and edits
- launch the app and put it on the App Store

Practice your own UX / UI audit on YOUR OWN app

Iím launching a web app soon Iíll send over for your review for your portfolio.

Now you really gettin to the chicken you just jumped past 85% of your competition thatís 2 projects under your belt.
Real sh*t my man, thank you.
+2   

New replies show every 10 seconds

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+22online now  30
Image(s) inside Young Jeezy Reveals TM104 Tracklisting
94 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  20
Satanist In The Suburbs (Vice Series)
108 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+64online now  13
NBA devin booker dislikes being doubled in open gym...noah tells him to deal w..
153 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+63online now  9
Video inside Bride begs her newly groom for forgiveness after being caught kissing h..
137 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy