Want to start a career in tech? Ask me anything

most viewed right now
+33  83
81 comments @wild'ish
most viewed right now
+60  51
91 comments @sports

section    |  0 bx goons and 7 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section The Money Spot

2 months ago '16        #26
Blackaveli 
space
space
$1,137 | Props total: 1556 1556
 Tonero said
Dont give up , we are all good at something u can peep the product owner article i theres very little math but u will need some minor understanding of technologies today.

Thank you bro, Iíve pretty much have given up already, but Iím glad you made this thread. Iím good with tech, but yeah like I said my math skills are nonexistent and I already tried tutors, taking extra classes, staying after with teachers, etc.

So yeah, but hopefully this can work out, Iíll read up on it.
+1   

2 months ago '05        #27
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
$8,337 | Props total: 5913 5913
 Blackaveli said
Thank you bro, Iíve pretty much have given up already, but Iím glad you made this thread. Iím good with tech, but yeah like I said my math skills are nonexistent and I already tried tutors, taking extra classes, staying after with teachers, etc.

So yeah, but hopefully this can work out, Iíll read up on it.
Im here feel free to reach out with any questions
+1   

2 months ago '17        #28
justin747 50 heat pts50
space
space
$14,607 | Props total: 73565 73565
 Tonero said
100% id suggest sticking to one thing and know the fu*k out of it. In tech experience is "T" shaped , meaning you have a vast knowledge of a couple diffrent things but u know one thing very very well.
I'm the exception to this rule. I've been in tech my whole life. I can balance everything.

If I can't use multiple languages then I don't even wanna get involved. My advantage in tech jobs is that I can use literally every OS at a high level. I use Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux daily.
+1   

2 months ago '05        #29
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 justin747 said
I'm the exception to this rule. I've been in tech my whole life. I can balance everything.

If I can't use multiple languages then I don't even wanna get involved. My advantage in tech jobs is that I can use literally every OS at a high level. I use Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux daily.
W.e works for you young king ride on
+1   

2 months ago '17        #30
justin747 50 heat pts50
space
space
$14,607 | Props total: 73565 73565
 Tonero said
W.e works for you young king ride on
I'll report back here. Just watch. I can do this. I promise to report back here.

For me it's really just translating what I know from C++ to other languages. The coding logic is universal for the most part. (with a few exceptions)
+1   

2 months ago '14        #31
strungout 410 heat pts410
space
space
$37,231 | Props total: 92131 92131
some real gems in here props

2 months ago '05        #32
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 justin747 said
I'll report back here. Just watch. I can do this. I promise to report back here.

For me it's really just translating what I know from C++ to other languages. The coding logic is universal for the most part. (with a few exceptions)
Bruh I believe in you. U sound confident in ur abilities, that exactly the attitude u want in interviews.
+1   

2 months ago '07        #33
Ghost Terp 18 heat pts18
space
space
$16,500 | Props total: 6502 6502
 strungout said
do you have to be a mathematician to get a job in this field?

edit/ saw someone already asked this earlier

I'm more inclined in art & English and subjects like that

sometimes I wish it was the other way around though
 Blackaveli said
Iím in the same boat as dude with the arts and English stuff, Iím not saying that I think thatís the path to money, but Iím extremely better at those subjects where as I am extremely terrible at math.

How do you become a product owner: manager? How much math is in that?

If art is your thing you can get into UX/UI design. You won't have to code much, if at all, and if you do it will be simple front-end stuff with no logic.
+2   

2 months ago '05        #34
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 Ghost Terp said
If art is your thing you can get into UX/UI design. You won't have to code much, if at all, and if you do it will be simple front-end stuff with no logic.
This, UI/UX is huge too in the space. At Amazon there are two front end developers , two back end devs, one product owner and a UI UX person on every team

Same thing at my job.

Each team is typically a*signed to a certain space in the app

Last edited by Tonero; 07-03-2019 at 09:58 AM..

2 months ago '16        #35
Blackaveli 
space
space
 Ghost Terp said
What can I do right now to learn this and stand out to get a job over n*ggas with degrees?

2 months ago '07        #36
Ghost Terp 18 heat pts18
space
space
$16,500 | Props total: 6502 6502
 Blackaveli said
What can I do right now to learn this and stand out to get a job over n*ggas with degrees?

I don't think there are too many people with UI/UX degrees, I don't know if that's a thing yet. I got into the tech industry this year so maybe @ has more knowledge about this. I did a full-time bootcamp that also guaranteed an internship opportunity. I would a*sume there's bootcamps that are specific to UI/UX, don't do a traditional coding bootcamp if that's the path that you want to take though. You won't learn very much about that topic, maybe a few guest speakers. At the very least take some free online courses to see if it's for you.

In UI/UX, your portfolio is what matters the most. I just got my first text job and it's with a pretty big company. It was a lot of hard work and I still have a ton to do, specifically learn Java. It's not an easy road but I love it. Be prepared for the bumps and bruises that come with a career change.

I went to a JavaScript meet up last month, at the end they ask if anyone's looking for a job and to stand up and introduce yourself. Everyone that stood up basically said the same thing word for word, "React, JS, prefer front-end", except one dude. He was a designer and you could see the room perk up after he mentioned that. He wasn't very experienced either but designers are in demand right now.

Last edited by Ghost Terp; 07-02-2019 at 09:14 PM..
+4   

2 months ago '13        #37
vandalizm 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,535 | Props total: 5788 5788
Hey @

Nice thread.

Question for you - do you have time / are you interested to work on any side projects?

I’ve been doing SEO for a decade - in-house director of digital, agency director, etc

I’m in the middle of vetting devs on Fiverr to put together a basic version of my utility web app to help facilitate introductory meetings for potential marketing clients.

Can I pick your brain and you tell me best technology stack / process to use?

I don’t know how to manage my dev / what technology we should use

2 months ago '16        #38
Blackaveli 
space
space
@

Do you know anything about UI/UX and what I can do to get a career in it?

2 months ago '05        #39
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 vandalizm said
Hey @

Nice thread.

Question for you - do you have time / are you interested to work on any side projects?

yea i do work on the side , im super stretched thin right now tho, i have an app im leading and i really want the project done so i can get my time back after my real job

I’ve been doing SEO for a decade - in-house director of digital, agency director, etc

I’m in the middle of vetting devs on Fiverr to put together a basic version of my utility web app to help facilitate introductory meetings for potential marketing clients.

Can I pick your brain and you tell me best technology stack / process to use?
Sure , what did you have in mind? Im guessing you need video conferencing?

Depending on your budget i would have one UI/UX and a full stack developer.

Building video from the ground up will be super expensive because u will need a developer who specializes in video technology.

An alternative would be to use . I haven't used it before but im fairly certain their api will have every thing you need to setup a video app. it wont be free tho so in the long run look at the prices and factor that into your costs.

is another alternative that provides video apis that can be integrated into your app.

You need to build an MVP (Minimum Viable Product) so keep the budget and the scope of the project lean.

A UI/UX developer isnt quite needed but the best apps have one. They make a huge difference in my opinion

I wont recommend doing this on Fiverr those indians can be funny. I had to fire one already on my project because he couldnt do the work.

The current other dev right now is good on paper but if we had the budget for a UI/UX developer the entire app would look much cleaner.

Unfortunately u get what u pay for in this industry.

The stack id go with is

() Angular 7
(Node)

Twillo/Zoom

This is a little bias tho cause i use Angular
+1   

2 months ago '13        #40
vandalizm 2 heat pts
space
space
 Tonero said
Sure , what did you have in mind? Im guessing you need video conferencing?

Depending on your budget i would have one UI/UX and a full stack developer.

Building video from the ground up will be super expensive because u will need a developer who specializes in video technology.

An alternative would be to use . I haven't used it before but im fairly certain their api will have every thing you need to setup a video app. it wont be free tho so in the long run look at the prices and factor that into your costs.

is another alternative that provides video apis that can be integrated into your app.

You need to build an MVP (Minimum Viable Product) so keep the budget and the scope of the project lean.

A UI/UX developer isnt quite needed but the best apps have one. They make a huge difference in my opinion

I wont recommend doing this on Fiverr those indians can be funny. I had to fire one already on my project because he couldnt do the work.

The current other dev right now is good on paper but if we had the budget for a UI/UX developer the entire app would look much cleaner.

Unfortunately u get what u pay for in this industry.

The stack id go with is

() Angular 7
(Node)

Twillo/Zoom

This is a little bias tho cause i use Angular
Thanks for this info my G!

Appreciate it very much.

Video tbh I had not thought about that to this point but I think that would be the natural progression. I will keep that in mind.

Thanks for sharing those technologies.

From what I’m hearing I should be going with angular then.

Correct me if I’m wrong - the webapp can be written a bunch of different languages (potential devs have suggested PHP as well) angular just happens to be the latest solid technology/Library for modern coders - correct?

I’m pretty familiar with hiring devs I’ve been doing it for years but unfortunately don’t really know if the wor they do is good as it’s mostly for small stuff - for instance for websites I can recognize inline code - but other than that - I don’t know. I’m also familiar with Lean and MVP.

You are correct about the Indian Devs tho on paper everything looks good and then you hire and things go to sh*t!

Keeping it 100 I usually try to negotiate based on features and a flat price and then 100% upon delivery.

Last edited by vandalizm; 07-05-2019 at 03:00 PM..

2 months ago '05        #41
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 vandalizm said
Thanks for this info my G!

Appreciate it very much.

Video tbh I had not thought about that to this point but I think that would be the natural progression. I will keep that in mind.

Thanks for sharing those technologies.

From what Iím hearing I should be going with angular then.

Correct me if Iím wrong - the webapp can be written a bunch of different languages (potential devs have suggested PHP as well) angular just happens to be the latest solid technology/Library for modern coders - correct?

Iím pretty familiar with hiring devs Iíve been doing it for years but unfortunately donít really know if the wor they do is good as itís mostly for small stuff - for instance for websites I can recognize inline code - but other than that - I donít know. Iím also familiar with Lean and MVP.

You are correct about the Indian Devs tho on paper everything looks good and then you hire and things go to sh*t!

Keeping it 100 I usually try to negotiate based on features and a flat price and then 100% upon delivery.
Angular is good for small to large apps.

You can build a web app all in one language but the preferred architecture is separating the front end back end.

The front end and back end are separated to bring out the best in both.

By using angular / react or any other modern frontend framework (Vue.js), u can create clean UI's that are app like.

Using PHP on the back end isolates that logic to just server side code. Isolation is good as the code grows because teams wont step on each others toes. and the code is more organized
+1   

2 months ago '16        #42
Boogersugar 86 heat pts86
space
space
$6,342 | Props total: 23550 23550
@ this is a powerful thread!

I hope you don't mind but my experiences have been a little different and I'd like to share a bit of a different perspective

1. You don't have to have a math/science/compsci background. My specific field is a little different as I'm a Salesforce developer which is a bit more niche than software development(Salesforce uses a proprietary language) but I'm an English major and I didn't have too much trouble transitioning from a sales role to a development role. It was all about developing the skills, being able to speak to and demonstrate them in an interview, and having a portfolio that piqued people's interests.

Language skills are extremely valuable in most development environments - someone is going to have to parse the business requirements coming from non-technological stakeholders into actionable goals in relation to the software you're working on. That's one of the most crucial processes within software development and its importance is often undersold within organizations. Sell that in your interview.

2. As someone that was entirely self-taught I am strongly biased towards free resources. is an AWESOME resource for html/css/Javascript and is another good option. Udemy and Coursera have some nice free courses. Coursera in particular has a couple introductory computer science courses from schools like Harvard. And if you're familiar with Salesforce and want to get in on this honeypot there's

This isn't to talk down on bootcamps or community college courses or anything else. As some people have mentioned in this thread that has worked for them so I don't want to cast aspersions on that. If you learn better in a structured environment maybe that IS the best answer for you. But I would urge people to at least consider free resources too. If these work for you, why pay?

All that being said, if you're coming in with no degree then you need some other proof that you can actually do the work. Build a portfolio. Write some websites. Build an app. Display your skills. GET THIS fu*kING MONEY because it's certainly out there.
@ check this out man
+9   

2 months ago '17        #43
ddy807 20 heat pts20
space
space
$3,451 | Props total: 9372 9372
subbed @
+2   

2 months ago '16        #44
GazaVybz7 1 heat pts
space
space
$850 | Props total: 1284 1284
Love This Thread.
So Many Different Avenues In IT.

I went to school & got a B.S in Computer Info Systems
The Programming Like C++ Didn't Really Stick But I Understood The basics like libraries, arrays, loops, classes , etc ; Luckily the SQL did stick & Now I Do Database For an Auto Group That Houses 6 Dealerships.

@

What programs/applications do you use on a daily basis?

Also I'm trying to get into systems engineering or systems admin , have any advice on that? Or do you think with my SQL experience I should just take that to PM
+2   

2 months ago '05        #45
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 GazaVybz7 said
Love This Thread.
So Many Different Avenues In IT.

I went to school & got a B.S in Computer Info Systems
The Programming Like C++ Didn't Really Stick But I Understood The basics like libraries, arrays, loops, classes , etc ; Luckily the SQL did stick & Now I Do Database For an Auto Group That Houses 6 Dealerships.

@

What programs/applications do you use on a daily basis?

Also I'm trying to get into systems engineering or systems admin , have any advice on that? Or do you think with my SQL experience I should just take that to PM
At my current job i work with Ruby on Rails and Typescript.

I would think , sys admin would require alot of experience plus really good experience with Linux but dont quote me.

With SQL , why not become a backend developer?

Ive posted an excellent blog on what web developer path in 2019 in my original post

Last edited by Tonero; 07-08-2019 at 09:09 PM..

1 month ago '13        #46
vandalizm 2 heat pts
space
space
 Tonero said
Angular is good for small to large apps.

You can build a web app all in one language but the preferred architecture is separating the front end back end.

The front end and back end are separated to bring out the best in both.

By using angular / react or any other modern frontend framework (Vue.js), u can create clean UI's that are app like.

Using PHP on the back end isolates that logic to just server side code. Isolation is good as the code grows because teams wont step on each others toes. and the code is more organized
Thanks for breaking this down for me these few words clarified quite a bit for me.

Appreciate it!

Ima come back with my MVP soon
+1   

1 month ago '05        #47
rotstreetz 
space
space
space
$2,331 | Props total: 2684 2684
@ What are your thoughts on Information a*surance and Cybersecurity a*sociate degree and Cyber Defense? I'm debating on taking one or the other at my local community college. Also, do you know anything about Health Informatics and Information Technology degree?
+1   

1 month ago '14        #48
King Maximus 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,623 | Props total: 4895 4895
 Tonero said
I used to run a blog, building that blog got me my first job out of school.
It seems that a lot of people I talk to ( who donít work in tech ) have an idea that Ďtechí in general is a progressive job field and that your ability to display your knowledge and skill as a programmer can land you a job with or without that ever increasingly expensive degree.

I have read a few stories of people whoíve built a solid portfolio consisting of a few projects that prospective employers deemed acceptable enough to hire that person.

Is that at all true or one in a million type of thing?
+2   

1 month ago '14        #49
King Maximus 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,623 | Props total: 4895 4895
 Boogersugar said
@ this is a powerful thread!

I hope you don't mind but my experiences have been a little different and I'd like to share a bit of a different perspective

1. You don't have to have a math/science/compsci background. My specific field is a little different as I'm a Salesforce developer which is a bit more niche than software development(Salesforce uses a proprietary language) but I'm an English major and I didn't have too much trouble transitioning from a sales role to a development role. It was all about developing the skills, being able to speak to and demonstrate them in an interview, and having a portfolio that piqued people's interests.

Language skills are extremely valuable in most development environments - someone is going to have to parse the business requirements coming from non-technological stakeholders into actionable goals in relation to the software you're working on. That's one of the most crucial processes within software development and its importance is often undersold within organizations. Sell that in your interview.

2. As someone that was entirely self-taught I am strongly biased towards free resources. is an AWESOME resource for html/css/Javascript and is another good option. Udemy and Coursera have some nice free courses. Coursera in particular has a couple introductory computer science courses from schools like Harvard. And if you're familiar with Salesforce and want to get in on this honeypot there's

This isn't to talk down on bootcamps or community college courses or anything else. As some people have mentioned in this thread that has worked for them so I don't want to cast aspersions on that. If you learn better in a structured environment maybe that IS the best answer for you. But I would urge people to at least consider free resources too. If these work for you, why pay?

All that being said, if you're coming in with no degree then you need some other proof that you can actually do the work. Build a portfolio. Write some websites. Build an app. Display your skills. GET THIS fu*kING MONEY because it's certainly out there.
@ check this out man
See what happens when you read first

Lol

Answered my question I just asked
+3   

1 month ago '05        #50
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 rotstreetz said
@ What are your thoughts on Information a*surance and Cybersecurity a*sociate degree and Cyber Defense? I'm debating on taking one or the other at my local community college. Also, do you know anything about Health Informatics and Information Technology degree?
My degree is specialized in security. I wont lie I find that sh*t booring. And your math has to be on point. I'm glad I don't work with anything security. But it's a good fringe field that if your good, u will get paid one of the highest salaries in the industry.
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+65online now  36
OT Lilí Wayne gifts Undisputed crew chains
72 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  33
Image(s) inside The writers of life present to you. Some sick ass sh-t.
48 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+54online now  16
Who green lit this dumb ass movie and why are people praising it?
145 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  10
Video inside quick review of the Jeezy album TM104
74 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy