Want to start a career in tech? Ask me anything

section    |  0 bx goons and 3 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section The Money Spot

2 months ago '05        #1
8279 page views
72 comments

Tonero 8 heat pts
space
space
$8,334 | Props total: 5912 5912
Want to start a career in tech? Ask me anything

Software developers are here to stay. Been working as a software engineer past 4 years.

Here's my  LinkedIn

Ask me anything recruiters in my DMs everyday let's work.

Edit

This is an excellent  post on the software developer path in 2019, it goes into a high level overview on every path you can take today.

Disclaimer.
The most experienced software developers don't know everything. Typically you would want to pick a few and be really really good to get paid.

Last edited by Tonero; 07-08-2019 at 09:10 PM..
+18   

best
worst
72 comments

2 months ago '17        #2
Kingz2 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$5,868 | Props total: 15220 15220
How did you land your first programming job?
+1   

2 months ago '05        #3
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 Kingz2 said
How did you land your first programming job?
I used to run a blog, building that blog got me my first job out of school.
+1   

2 months ago '05        #4
ghost213 32 heat pts32
space
space
$3,328 | Props total: 2526 2526
What's a good language to start with?
+2   

2 months ago '07        #5
Sincere730 16 heat pts16
space
space
$14,146 | Props total: 20060 20060
How do i start?
+2   

2 months ago '17        #6
Kingz2 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$5,868 | Props total: 15220 15220
 Tonero said
I used to run a blog, building that blog got me my first job out of school.
Ok maybe I should create one bc Iím struggling to find one and I have languages like java, Javascript, react, css,php, html down.

2 months ago '05        #7
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 ghost213 said
What's a good language to start with?
JavaScript. If you can learn that plus React or Angular you can easily command 6 figures with two years experience
+10   

2 months ago '05        #8
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 Kingz2 said
Ok maybe I should create one bc Iím struggling to find one and I have languages like java, Javascript, react, css,php, html down.
Just use wordpress. Or it musnt be a blog make sure u have a personal project that showcases some sort of feature.

It must even be complete matter of fact my last two jobs have been come incomplete projects.

As long as you understand the concepts and can vocalize it your golden
+1   

2 months ago '17        #9
justin747 50 heat pts50
space
space
$14,577 | Props total: 73428 73428

I'm back studying code heavily right now. Once I get my first gig I'm gonna come back to this thread.
+7   

2 months ago '05        #10
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 Sincere730 said
How do i start?
Depends do you have a background in math / science already if so.. I'd go straight to udemy.

You can take developer courses that are cheap but note that the biggest battle is landing your first job.

If you go this route ensure you have a personal project your working on as your learning. Guaranteed that will get you interviews.

Or look at school. They train you for free till you get hired.

I won't lie to you it's a bit or hard work but if you like the concepts it won't really be so bad.

As a motivation think of the money. $100k annually plus bonuses plus all the other stuff like 401k matching. Stocks and so on is pretty common.

Some companies are mandated to hire more brothers as they want to show they are diverse so the future is bright
+9   

2 months ago '16        #11
Blackaveli 
space
space
$1,136 | Props total: 1554 1554
 Tonero said
Depends do you have a background in math / science already if so.. I'd go straight to udemy.

You can take developer courses that are cheap but note that the biggest battle is landing your first job.

If you go this route ensure you have a personal project your working on as your learning. Guaranteed that will get you interviews.

Or look at school. They train you for free till you get hired.

I won't lie to you it's a bit or hard work but if you like the concepts it won't really be so bad.

As a motivation think of the money. $100k annually plus bonuses plus all the other stuff like 401k matching. Stocks and so on is pretty common.

Some companies are mandated to hire more brothers as they want to show they are diverse so the future is bright
What if you donít have a science or math background?
+3   

2 months ago '11        #12
gnelsonq09 
space
space
space
$331 | Props total: 850 850
Whats the deal with AWS? My friend who works in IT already told me that I can easily get a good job if I get an AWS cert.
+2   

2 months ago '05        #13
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 Blackaveli said
What if you donít have a science or math background?
Its not impossible but it would be an uphill battle because you have to be able to visualize abstract concepts.

I would take it in baby bites and work my way out. I took couple online courses in college so im able to self teach. If that works for you , id suggest starting

Else u may need to take a web development certificate in a community college to get your feet wet. The college route give you more clout as you will be more rounded in the concepts compared to being self taught.

If you can combine both , even better.

Just know that to get good it takes time , so its a process and wont be over night. Overtime these concepts become more familiar and things will come easy for you.
+3   

2 months ago '15        #14
AggressiveTYPE 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$299 | Props total: 2064 2064
Am tying to get in HR software development like workday, any experience with that? I already have a Bachelors of Science in HRM. Looking to move into the Technical side of things.

2 months ago '05        #15
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 gnelsonq09 said
Whats the deal with AWS? My friend who works in IT already told me that I can easily get a good job if I get an AWS cert.
AWS is kool as Amazon has the largest marketshare of all Cloud hosting platforms.

AWS (Amazon Web Service) is part of the tech stack for many companies for sure Getting certified is good . but in the long run i would aim to be more well rounded plus a if possible certification.

Being well rounded means as technologies come and go you still stay relevant.

I dont think ive seen any job thus far that requires mandatory AWS certification.
So im guessing its something that is nice to have say u have 4 people with similar skill sets after an interview , an AWS certification may give you and edge over the rest.
+2   

2 months ago '05        #16
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 AggressiveTYPE said
Am tying to get in HR software development like workday, any experience with that? I already have a Bachelors of Science in HRM. Looking to move into the Technical side of things.
I took a quick look at their in north america and they looks like a java heavy shop.

So thats your best bet , usually i creep people that work there as devs on Linkedin and look at their skill sets as well so i can gauge myself.

As a rule of thumb to get hired , u have to be as good or better than the currently employed developers to make it to the top of the hiring list.

Now do you know java? if not u need to ramp up and that may mean getting a jr position that works with java and working ur way out.

Or if u already have software dev experience and are working in the field , ensure to take on java related projects at your company to give you the experience you need.

Java is a good language its very legacy so there are still lots of jobs however it may be difficult getting your foot in the door as its an enterprise level language that requires experience.

But i wouldnt focus on just java , make sure u add a new framework to it such as
+1   

2 months ago '05        #17
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 justin747 said

I'm back studying code heavily right now. Once I get my first gig I'm gonna come back to this thread.
Nice what languages are you learning?
+2   

2 months ago '14        #18
strungout 410 heat pts410
space
space
$37,207 | Props total: 92083 92083
do you have to be a mathematician to get a job in this field?

edit/ saw someone already asked this earlier

I'm more inclined in art & English and subjects like that

sometimes I wish it was the other way around though

2 months ago '05        #19
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 strungout said
do you have to be a mathematician to get a job in this field?
No but all science is rooted in math so with a math degree , ur in good shape. But u can work in the field without a degree. It may be a challenging getting your foot in the door but once u do ur set.

Edit

You dont need to be a software dev , with that incline u can look at being a

less technical , more customer facing but u do work closely with developers. At my job we have one product owner per team. So they are the connection between us the customers and upper management

Last edited by Tonero; 07-02-2019 at 10:27 AM..
+2   

2 months ago '17        #20
justin747 50 heat pts50
space
space
$14,577 | Props total: 73428 73428
 Tonero said
Nice what languages are you learning?
I'm learning Kotlin and Swift to transition into Java and C#. I want to write apps and Operating Systems. Eventually I plan to dip into everything. I was fu*kin with Python and Js last month, and I'm going to try out Ruby too once publish a few apps.

I took C++ in college. I barely passed cause I failed most of the tests, but I understood ALL the concepts and logic. I just didn't vibe well with the teacher.

Honestly, most of the concepts are the same across the languages with slight differences here and there.
+1   

2 months ago '16        #21
Blackaveli 
space
space
 Tonero said
Its not impossible but it would be an uphill battle because you have to be able to visualize abstract concepts.

I would take it in baby bites and work my way out. I took couple online courses in college so im able to self teach. If that works for you , id suggest starting

Else u may need to take a web development certificate in a community college to get your feet wet. The college route give you more clout as you will be more rounded in the concepts compared to being self taught.

If you can combine both , even better.

Just know that to get good it takes time , so its a process and wont be over night. Overtime these concepts become more familiar and things will come easy for you.
Well, I hope Iím not SOL because my math skills are nonexistent. It sucks, you canít do anything without math, canít find any good careers without that sh*t.
+1   

2 months ago '16        #22
Blackaveli 
space
space
 Tonero said
No but all science is rooted in math so with a math degree , ur in good shape. But u can work in the field without a degree. It may be a challenging getting your foot in the door but once u do ur set.

Edit

You dont need to be a software dev , with that incline u can look at being a

less technical , more customer facing but u do work closely with developers. At my job we have one product owner per team. So they are the connection between us the customers and upper management
Iím in the same boat as dude with the arts and English stuff, Iím not saying that I think thatís the path to money, but Iím extremely better at those subjects where as I am extremely terrible at math.

How do you become a product owner: manager? How much math is in that?

2 months ago '05        #23
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 justin747 said
I'm learning Kotlin and Swift to transition into Java and C#. I want to write apps and Operating Systems. Eventually I plan to dip into everything. I was fu*kin with Python and Js last month, and I'm going to try out Ruby too once publish a few apps.

I took C++ in college. I barely passed cause I failed most of the tests, but I understood ALL the concepts and logic. I just didn't vibe well with the teacher.

Honestly, most of the concepts are the same across the languages with slight differences here and there.
100% id suggest sticking to one thing and know the fu*k out of it. In tech experience is "T" shaped , meaning you have a vast knowledge of a couple diffrent things but u know one thing very very well.

For me , my bread and butter is (Javascript) and (PHP) . ironically i learn both for free on , and so far my last three jobs were angular based. I had to ramp up on Ruby on Rails at my current job and that has opened a bunch of other doors within 8 months of using it.
+2   

2 months ago '05        #24
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 Blackaveli said
Iím in the same boat as dude with the arts and English stuff, Iím not saying that I think thatís the path to money, but Iím extremely better at those subjects where as I am extremely terrible at math.

How do you become a product owner: manager? How much math is in that?
Dont give up bro , we are all good at something. Here is a good article on being a
+2   

2 months ago '05        #25
Tonero 8 heat pts OP
space
space
 Blackaveli said
Well, I hope Iím not SOL because my math skills are nonexistent. It sucks, you canít do anything without math, canít find any good careers without that sh*t.
Dont give up , we are all good at something u can peep the product owner article i theres very little math but u will need some minor understanding of technologies today.
+2   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+72online now  56
Image(s) inside Yo trying to cop a popeyes chicken sandwich tonight is like trying to ..
355 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+33online now  45
Workout Change the look of your body in only 2 workouts w/ The Snatch Grip Hig..
59 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+43online now  36
Image(s) inside BREAKING... Tee Grizzly Shot Up In Detroit, Manager Killed
296 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+57online now  23
DAME NO JUMPER INTERVEW goes off on JAY-Z "Everybody no Jay ain't sh!t" Fallou..
172 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy