The Smashmouth Job Search Guide

most viewed right now
+36  76
87 comments @wild'ish

section    |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section The Money Spot

6 years ago '11        #26
DJ STRIVER 26 heat pts26 OP
space
space
$3,927 | Props total: 4157 4157
@misterethoughts - Depends on what careers you're looking to get into. This applies to just about everything considered 'entry level' but outside that, you're looking at either having to work your way up into a career, getting a state or federally mandated license or get into the right circles. In all honesty, your best bet is creating your own job through your own business.

@Mariel619 - I'd be surprised if anyone actually reads those things. I never did when I worked HR gigs and every cover letter I've ever sent was an internet rip on the blandest scale possible. Throw a couple industry specific buzzwords in there if you know them and be plentiful in your resume tossing because nothing will sell you better than your voice and your physiccal presence; everyone can be equal on paper but it's up to you to stand out in person.

6 years ago '05        #27
Mariel619 101 heat pts101
space
space
$1,416 | Props total: 94 94
yea i used a template and replace a few words here n there, would you say that a shortened cover letter should be your Objective on your resume?
also whats your view on LinkedIn is it actually helpful?

Thanks for this stuff too, i am a very skilled & meticulous worker, just having problems with the resume stuff and the terms of specific jobs i have performed, trying to get construction management without a
degree is troublesome, yet i am over qualified in terms of experience, sound like i need a degree?

6 years ago '11        #28
space
space
@Mariel - I was once told by a temp agency recruiter to not even put an objective on the resume--the reason being it gets skipped when skimmed and takes up room that could either be better used for experience/skills or keeping the resume 1 page max in length.

LinkedIn? Never saw the use. Don't confuse your mission: finding a job. As in a means to feed yourself, keep a roof over your head and most importantly propel yourself into a business. To me, LinkedIn is nothing more than an online version of one of those bum networking conventions: a million worker bees trading war stories with no real means of advance.

IMO time: you can imagine a dress shop telling women they look slim in an expensive, non-fitting dress just to get that commission? The term 'career' is that dress and none of us really fit it. The closest thing to a real career is a trade (mechanic, doctor, heating/air, lawyer, etc.) because at the end of the mentorship you're SUPPOSED to go out and do for yourself, not work your way up the ladder.

6 years ago '05        #29
Mariel619 101 heat pts101
space
space
$1,416 | Props total: 94 94
Thanks, and yes linkedIn unless you pay is def a workforce facebook

6 years ago '07        #30
biff 19 heat pts19
space
space
$3,942 | Props total: 359 359
i want to make my mom a resume but she really hasnt had a job she use to claen houses and do telemarketing in spanish and deliver food to the elderly but what should i put on the objective or qualifications

6 years ago '11        #31
space
space
@Biff -

6 years ago '12        #32
Chase Bands 8 heat pts
space
space
$797 | Props total: 2 2
Great read, props

5 years ago '14        #33
RaiderRomero 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$214 | Props total: 356 356
Good looking on the tips. I'm big on the job hunt right now and definitely got some needed motivation from this. thanx

5 years ago '14        #34
RaiderRomero 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$214 | Props total: 356 356
Hughes How should I address the fact that I havent had any real employment in the last 5 years? I was locked up.. I dont think a background check would show the amount of time I actually served, so I'm thinking of using your "make up a job" to fill some of the gap in my resume. Please explain how to use google voice for this.. I had a very basic cell phone when I was locked up and am basically 5 years behind on the technology curve. Thanx for any help G.

5 years ago '11        #35
space
space
@ There are two things here: 1. if they run a criminal background check they'll pick it up, maybe not the amount of time but on just about every app there's a space to fill that in. Don't try to hide that fact because doing so tends to be an automatic disqualification. 2. Building solid rapport with the interviewer and company is far more important than what your resume says so if you come across as someone who can be trusted you should be fine. I would actually suggest getting as menial a job as possible that will still pay bills and look to starting your own business; having a record makes an already difficult situation harder to overcome and when you're working for someone else you don't need that strike.

5 years ago '04        #36
thatruth022 
space
space
$13 | Props total: 1 1
Nice...

5 years ago '07        #37
Cadillac51 3 heat pts
space
space
$390 | Props total: 100 100
respect and props for this post. Thank you

5 years ago '10        #38
Account001 
space
space
$3,458 | Props total: 380 380
comment for reference

4 years ago '09        #39
Toss 
space
space
space
$7,737 | Props total: 2593 2593
thanks im read over this later just graduated and been having a rough time

4 years ago '15        #40
Esha Mae 17 heat pts17
space
space
$60 | Props total: 6 6
Very good read!

4 years ago '04        #41
BayBuryYa 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,908 | Props total: 6903 6903
 Miles J Hughes said
I understand why you'd think bringing a resume is important but in the grand scheme of things if they really need that resume they'll print a copy themselves. As a former HR generalist (I worked for Universal Studios hiring people for the park in Universal City) I never hired anyone that was a 'qualified' because being qualified means you already have an accurate accounting of what you're worth and when factoring in the profit margin looked for per person, qualified people cost too much. I say that to say this: a good job candidate for the majority of jobs are a mixture of slightly inept and spiritually broken. Those who might excel are viewed as threats to the status quo and that (and to a lesser degree woefully inadequate) is what you don't want to portray when getting a job.

Solid thread. Quality info. From my experience, I can definitely cosign plenty including the underlined. I'm searching for a better position now so I'll update this thread with anything that has worked for me in my industry and geographic location.

3 years ago '15        #42
JdamienH 18 heat pts18
space
space
$1,500 | Props total: 2032 2032
just lost my job and currently looking to switch careers. this thread was definitely what i needed to get me back out there.

3 years ago '11        #43
space
space
 REG773 said
I've been a pt supervisor at ups for 3 years and started with the company in 2010 as an 18 yr old out of high school. I've had a tough time finding a better job while not sacrificing the last two years of a computer engineering degree upon acceptance to a school. I even had an interview where I intimidated a guy I upper management because of the education I would have coupled with experience. I've tried filling out for railroads, IT jobs, etc. Not to mention, one does not want to sacrifice school and UPS well it's a no brainer why I would want out.
If you could summarize your job, what would it be?

Once you have that, what service could you provide companies with it?

What kind of companies could use that type of service?

What information products could you create with that knowledge and sell to others looking to get into a supervisory role in a corporate environment like UPS?

Long story short, reverse engineer whatever you do and see how you could see that knowledge and expertise to someone who either has need of it or needs to know it in preparation to get there.

3 years ago '11        #44
space
space
 BayBuryYa said
Solid thread. Quality info. From my experience, I can definitely cosign plenty including the underlined. I'm searching for a better position now so I'll update this thread with anything that has worked for me in my industry and geographic location.
Please do. The game isn't just for one man, but for all of us to be able to absorb and contribute to. When you think good thoughts, you do good things. When you eat good food, you have good fuel and when you share good game, you grow good communities.

3 years ago '11        #45
space
space
 JdamienH said
just lost my job and currently looking to switch careers. this thread was definitely what i needed to get me back out there.
As another man told me to which I never forgot it: you go through hell to get out of it, not to finder a cooler seat next to the devil. Go apply game and build something of and for yourself.

3 years ago '12        #46
seanie 13 heat pts13
space
space
$1,104 | Props total: 95 95
If your using Craigslist or a online submission. Do you put your cover letter:

1. as a second document.
2. including it in the same document as resume.
3. in the body of the email and just put a single document for resume as attachment in email.

I think too much of the details and not enough about the numbers

3 years ago '05        #47
pnoi89 18 heat pts18
space
space
$14,054 | Props total: 11139 11139
 seanie said

1. as a second document.
3. in the body of the email and just put a single document for resume as attachment in email.

Separate document altogether, when possible.

3 years ago '11        #48
space
space
 seanie said

1. as a second document.

In the body of the email. Reason is, there's a high probability no one's going to read it. Not that it can't be useful in some situations, but cover letters don't get forwarded to the correct HR personnel; resumes do. Cover letters don't get scanned by keyword fetching programs; resumes do.

If anything, don't spend a lot of time on cover letters because if they're going to give you a shot, it'll be because of how well you align with what they're looking to hire for, not because you were able to compose a document pre-ass kissing.

3 years ago '16        #49
Topguyzaa 
space
space
$179 | Props total: 490 490
After the interview process, how long should one wait to follow up?

3 years ago '11        #50
space
space
 Topguyzaa said
After the interview process, how long should one wait to follow up?
I typically follow up after 2 days. There's some that believe sending a thank you letter helps in the HR personnel remembering who you are; I won't say you shouldn't but I rarely do because I think that if they plan on hiring you, they won't need a reminder.

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  43
Image(s) inside The writers of life present to you. Some sick ass sh-t.
49 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+65online now  29
OT Lil’ Wayne gifts Undisputed crew chains
72 comments
24 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
online now  14
Video inside quick review of the Jeezy album TM104
74 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+55online now  11
Who green lit this dumb ass movie and why are people praising it?
145 comments
2 days ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy