why do people think mos def is smart?

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
137 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
66 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside January Rose
12 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
60 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '05        #61
daliff89 1 heat pts
space
space
$13,412 | Props total: 45 45
 Soda Pop said:
What did he say that was so unintelligent?
he's arguing that in order to get countries like Iran, who want to immediately decimate the world with nuclear weapons, to stop developing nuclear weapons we must destroy our own

that's stupid.

let's say you slept with a man's wife and now he wants to k!ll you........you've got a gun in your hand and there is a gun laying beside his feet........you don't want to k!ll the man, you're just carrying to defend yourself, but he definitely wants to k!ll you..........in order to convince him not to k!ll you with the gun that is within arm's reach of his person, you throw your gun into a river that's 30 feet away.......

do you think that man will the stop trying to k!ll you? or will he simply pick up the gun by his feet and shoot you with it?

that's what someone would do if everyone dropped nuclear weapons suddenly, someone would try to take the world hostage with the few that still existed

then when somebody made that point, Mos just completely ignored what he said and kept trying to hammer his completely irrelevant point home

MissLoveOne said:
I see where you're coming from. But at the same time, just because you can't debate politics or world events effectively public wise, doesn't mean you're not smart. Even geniuses mess up and are prone to human error. Besides, Mos, Nas ect...never claimed to be perfect, or that they know everything. They're just trying to get people to think. It all boils down to this, before the intellect, before the rap, they are human beings. They are people, just like we are.
but the thing is, he got on a show trying to debate some s**t, that's not getting people to 'talk about it', that's trying to debate s**t publicly

if he just made a song about it then there'd be no problem, he got on a television show with people who actually knew what they were talking about and got shown up....

Peterparker said:
Whoa you f**king piece of european s**t the points Mos Def stated were on point and valid... and anybody who disagrees with Mos Def is a f**king idiot who only buys into what mainstream society tells you?

Let's anyalyze...you all can't tell me Mos Def is an idiot and not state why?? Tell me exactly what is it that he stated that he had a lack of knowledge of???

1.Mos Def said "There should be no Nuclear club" basically stating America and Europe the western countries(the countries controlled by caucasians are being hypocritical to tell other countries,islamic countries not to have nuclear weapons when they actually done there fair share of dirt with nuclear weapons)..the f**got cracka point was Iran is lying and there extremist so they shouldn't have it...again Mos Def said it's simple hypocrisy which it is...

2.Now you have 2 white f**gots who co-sign a hypocritical democracy like the western countries who colonized dark countries and exploit dark countries..who was the only country who used these nuclear weapons to wipe out a large population (ex:Hiroshima and Nagasaki ) show me where any of these islamic groups have rival the catasophere of United States when it comes nuclear weapons?? I'll be waiting(ohhhhhh it COULD HAPPEN..f**k outta here)

3.Mos Def said "diggin uranium and steel out of the ground is an evinornmental issue"...prove this statement wrong??

4.The statement about everbody has a religion..these dumb a.sses took it as him saying you were a christian or muslim or jew or any other popular religion that believes in some spook in the sky, when he clearly went into detail about what he ment by "everbody has a religion"...which he was pretty damn correct on his execution

The only problem with Mos Def was he went into a fixed f!ght..you know the crackas was not going to agree with his point of view..there hypocritical as you motherf**kers are..this is how the elite and the ppl who support there ideologies work...If the powers that be do it it's right and legal.. if the ppl they oppress do it, it's wrong and illegal..bottom line I don't want to hear what a wet dog smelling devil has to say about what these "terrorist" want to do or might can do...I want to hear it from the "terrorist" mouth..your b**ching about articulation...motherf**ker aslong as his points were made that's the bottom line..the audience agreed with him so who lost???
nobody, including the other panel members, disputed the validity of Mos' statements

we're just saying it's stupid because it's inconceivable that something he's talking about would happen.....

using nothing more than common sense you should know that if someone wants to do something 'wrong', that they're not going to stop when shown 'this is wrong, you shouldn't do this' because they already know that

it's like saying outlawing guns will make the crime rate go down, except if someone's going to commit a crime with a gun, they're probably not going to obtain the gun legally anyway, so legally restricting access to guns wouldn't have any effect on the ability of criminals to obtain guns, it'd only stop law-abiding citizens from obtaining guns, therefore decreasing their ability to defend themselves from people who do have guns....
 7 years ago '05        #62
CalcuoCuchicheo 
space
space
$6,478 | Props total: 3 3
 Zo1987 said:
please, at least he went to college. You always like to s**t about whose smart and who isn't. What are ur education stats then my good fellow.

p.s. u better have a degree in mechanical engineering or something similar to back up all the trash u spew in this forum.
"I told you before, Boxden is not equivalent to speed dating. Please refrain from asking questions about me - it's pretty weird.

Now as to Mos Def, the famous rapper, what exactly did he study at "NYU" - music? Drama?
"

Gattsau said:
I bet u immortal tech would hold his own in a debate. Ive been hoping hed get on bill maher. I remember hearing immortal speak in NYC dude truly is smart. Same with chino xl.

It is pretty foolish to except mos to hold his own versus these guys. Cornell west needed to be there .
I agree it would be foolish to expect Mos Def to hold his own in that kind of company; but many on here appear to think otherwise &, further, believe that Mos Def gave a sterling account of himself.

Immortal Technique might do better than Mos Def, but I think he'd still succumb to the same fate because I doubt he has the intellect, background knowledge or oratory skills to match Rushdie or Hitchens, despite being a seemingly keen figure. He, too, would likely make anti-elitist arguments that are not relevant. Same with Chino; hip-hop's culture of education is a different strain to classical education &, while variances in education is not a bad thing at all as it is a good prime for debate & even has potential to solve problems classical education cannot, it is always going to appear inferior when pitted against classical education on matters which academics have considered for far longer, & in far more depth.

knowlege bass said:
He's just a pacifist. Just because you or don't agree doesn't mean its dumb.
And he's right about everyone having a "religion". Hitchens is just trying to clown him because Hitchens views himself as the leading authority on religion (do some research on the guy and see that although he has good points he's full of himself), but he's not getting Mos's point that even if you dont believe in God, everyone has something they believe in that guides them, whether it be TV, Money, s3x or whatever.
Rushdie is a pacifist too - he's just not an idiot, unlike Mos Def.

And no, he's not right about this "religion" point; this would be akin to someone saying they "overstand" things - both Rushdie & Hitchens would understand the childish play on words, but would rightly dismiss it as irrelevant & idiotic.
I'm sure both men "got" Mos Def's pathetic little point; it was Mos Def that failed to grasp that if you place whimsical concepts in front of educated persons, they will process them then dismiss them in no time. And no amount of petulance can change that.
You mentioning TV, money & s3x is hilarious; do you even understand what religion is? It is not any of those things, that's for sure. Faith is a more flexible term but one which also failed to serve Mos Def's point when he used it, only succeeding in appearing ignorant. Pathetic.

Last edited by CalcuoCuchicheo; 08-23-2010 at 02:04 PM..
 08-23-2010, 05:01 PM         #63
Dos-effect  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 knowlege bass said:
I do agree with that...or they should stick to just rhyming it. This actually goes for many celebrities even beyond hip-hop. They are not equipped.
It actually takes a great amount of intelligence to be a skilled musician, actor, singer, what have you. And Im not talking about these mother goose rhyming fools, Im talking real lyrical composure and composing of beats and sounds......to hear and think outside the box and use words like never before takes a alot of intelligence.....

I mean we cant all be brilliant internet chumps who has significant points of genius on the internet like yourself,.............intelligence is not limited by your career dummy, there are plenty of people who are successful in entertainment who are smater then you.
 7 years ago '10        #64
knowlege bass 
space
space
$3,220 | Props total: 562 562
 Dos-effect said:
It actually takes a great amount of intelligence to be a skilled musician, actor, singer, what have you. And Im not talking about these mother goose rhyming fools, Im talking real lyrical composure and composing of beats and sounds......to hear and think outside the box and use words like never before takes a alot of intelligence.....

I mean we cant all be brilliant internet chumps who has significant points of genius on the internet like yourself,.............intelligence is not limited by your career dummy, there are plenty of people who are successful in entertainment who are smater then you.
Nice, so now I am an internet chump..and trust me I dont ever think I've had any "significant points of genius".....lmao. And I fully realize that they are smarter than me when they are the ones driving Porches and I am debating like a fool on some internet forum, I am fully cognizant of that lol.
Let me articulate myself fully so you fully understand what I was saying. I have nothing against Mos Def or most other artists.
Basically in response to the post I was replying to I meant that I have seen many celebrities interviewed and they do not always come across the way maybe they meant to come across.
I am not dissing their profession, many are brilliant in their own right. I have no artistic skills so I would never devalue actors, painters, musicians etc. In fact I have huge respect for musicians, especially those who can read and compose music. My day job is that I am an IT exec but I've found some of the best programmers are people who can read music. Mos could probably put together a response and position on what he was talking about better in a rhyme than he could actually talking...thats what I meant by the "they should stick to just rhyming it". But for the most part celebrities do not always look good when debating politics, because many times they are unprepared and dont live it everyday like the politicians or pundits. They respond in a knee jerk manner and end up saying something stupid ...Jon Maher, Asher Roth, Nas, Sean Penn and many others have fallen victim.
At the end of the day I dont look to any entertainer/artist to educate me on anything. The saddest part about our Western society to me is that we look to entertainers to be our guide posts when in reality that's what parents and teachers do.
 7 years ago '10        #65
knowlege bass 
space
space
$3,220 | Props total: 562 562
 CalcuoCuchicheo said:
"[I]
Rushdie is a pacifist too - he's just not an idiot, unlike Mos Def.

And no, he's not right about this "religion" point; this would be akin to someone saying they "overstand" things - both Rushdie & Hitchens would understand the childish play on words, but would rightly dismiss it as irrelevant & idiotic.
I'm sure both men "got" Mos Def's pathetic little point; it was Mos Def that failed to grasp that if you place whimsical concepts in front of educated persons, they will process them then dismiss them in no time. And no amount of petulance can change that.
You mentioning TV, money & s3x is hilarious; do you even understand what religion is? It is not any of those things, that's for sure. Faith is a more flexible term but one which also failed to serve Mos Def's point when he used it, only succeeding in appearing ignorant. Pathetic.
Something obviously got under your skin with this particular interview, and you are obviously very upset about it. Mos did not articulate himself very well at all, I actually agree with that part. You want to mock me...that's fine. You can go to sleep tonight with the a.ssurance that you are smarter than Mos Def and everyone on boxden.
I'll offer a small rebuttal since it'll be my final word and since I am just not as invested in this as you are. I am also happy in a way to see someone calling people out, although you are starting to get a little emotional now. Maybe u truly are not, but thats the way the words are coming across.
Anyway rebuttal time. On the topic of "tv, s3x and money" not being religions. Maybe what I should have said is that some people have substituted the space in their lives that religion would usually fill with money, or tv or s3x.
I'll make it simple, I'll throw that up against a few of the definitions of the word "religion" from dictionary.com

3.the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of f!ghting prejudice.

Ok so "religion" does not necessarily need to be about a creator, it is a belief system. So that is why I do not find Mos Def's belief to be "pathetic".
But obviously you have your view on this, you realize you dont have to be a Mos Def fan.
 08-23-2010, 10:08 PM         #66
Icemouth  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Beaker said:
rappers need to shut the f**k up about political issues

none of them are smart enough to be commenting
Chino Xl is in MENSA.....
 7 years ago '05        #67
Switchc2390 10 heat pts10
space
space
$17,965 | Props total: 3223 3223
I just said this in another thread...Mos is on the short list of rappers that really don't need to say much when they aren't rapping to a beat. Nas is the same way..they can't really think on their feet but give them time and a beat and they will say something insightful.
 7 years ago '04        #68
D. Norman 6 heat pts
space
space
$14,847 | Props total: 1982 1982
n*gga are you serious, did u not know Mos Def is a doctor and he found the cure for blue babies, this n*gga is a doctor! Look at him with his doctor coat, looking all doctorish, doing doctor things with doctor people, n*gga!

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '05        #69
CalcuoCuchicheo 
space
space
 knowlege bass said:
Anyway rebuttal time. On the topic of "tv, s3x and money" not being religions. Maybe what I should have said is that some people have substituted the space in their lives that religion would usually fill with money, or tv or s3x.
I'll make it simple, I'll throw that up against a few of the definitions of the word "religion" from dictionary.com

3.the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of f!ghting prejudice.

Ok so "religion" does not necessarily need to be about a creator, it is a belief system
. So that is why I do not find Mos Def's belief to be "pathetic".
But obviously you have your view on this, you realize you dont have to be a Mos Def fan.
What I have underlined is you, like Mos Def, trying to explain a simple-minded concept to someone who has understood that concept & dismissed it because that's the intelligent thing to do. You seem incapable of comprehending this because you, like the concept, are overly simple; too much so to successfully hold up under the slightest scrutiny.

I know what religion can be. I know what TV can be. They are not the same thing, & cannot be. For you to act like it is even remotely possible that Rushdie or Hitchens have a belief system that revolves around a television set is ridiculous; similarly so in regards to s3x; & even a desire for wealth (which neither of them exhibit to any unusual extent) is not akin to belief system revolving around it.

There you go. A hideously simple concept refuted with ease. The concept was pathetic; Mos Def was pathetic in presenting it to greater minds & you were pathetic in presenting it. Call it a day, chump.
 08-24-2010, 07:23 PM         #70
imjustbeingme86  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Peterparker said:
Whoa you f**king piece of european s**t the points Mos Def stated were on point and valid... and anybody who disagrees with Mos Def is a f**king idiot who only buys into what mainstream society tells you?

Let's anyalyze...you all can't tell me Mos Def is an idiot and not state why?? Tell me exactly what is it that he stated that he had a lack of knowledge of???

1.Mos Def said "There should be no Nuclear club" basically stating America and Europe the western countries(the countries controlled by caucasians are being hypocritical to tell other countries,islamic countries not to have nuclear weapons when they actually done there fair share of dirt with nuclear weapons)..the f**got cracka point was Iran is lying and there extremist so they shouldn't have it...again Mos Def said it's simple hypocrisy which it is...

2.Now you have 2 white f**gots who co-sign a hypocritical democracy like the western countries who colonized dark countries and exploit dark countries..who was the only country who used these nuclear weapons to wipe out a large population (ex:Hiroshima and Nagasaki ) show me where any of these islamic groups have rival the catasophere of United States when it comes nuclear weapons?? I'll be waiting(ohhhhhh it COULD HAPPEN..f**k outta here)

3.Mos Def said "diggin uranium and steel out of the ground is an evinornmental issue"...prove this statement wrong??

4.The statement about everbody has a religion..these dumb a.sses took it as him saying you were a christian or muslim or jew or any other popular religion that believes in some spook in the sky, when he clearly went into detail about what he ment by "everbody has a religion"...which he was pretty damn correct on his execution

The only problem with Mos Def was he went into a fixed f!ght..you know the crackas was not going to agree with his point of view..there hypocritical as you motherf**kers are..this is how the elite and the ppl who support there ideologies work...If the powers that be do it it's right and legal.. if the ppl they oppress do it, it's wrong and illegal..bottom line I don't want to hear what a wet dog smelling devil has to say about what these "terrorist" want to do or might can do...I want to hear it from the "terrorist" mouth..your b**ching about articulation...motherf**ker aslong as his points were made that's the bottom line..the audience agreed with him so who lost???
and u dont need a college degree to see this. jus common sense
 7 years ago '04        #71
downtown33 
space
space
$1,094 | Props total: 0 0
mos def is smart, his opinions might be skewed a lil, ive watched dude on bill maher a couple times and at least he could hold it down with them white dudes and has some knowledge of politics, but his opinion is basically against the fear of terrorism because the realer problems are right here in front of our face, just cuz he doesnt agree with u doesnt mean hes stupid
 08-25-2010, 03:29 PM         #72
MasakoX  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
He attended Philippa Schuyler Middle School in Bushwick, Brooklyn on Greene street. He majored in Musical Theater at Talent Unlimited High School of the Performing Arts in Manhattan, New York City. He studied at New York University in the Gallatin School of Individualized Study

uneducated aint that
 08-25-2010, 03:36 PM         #73
MasakoX  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
mos has some crazy theories but he isn't dumb.
 7 years ago '06        #74
hood135 2 heat pts
space
space
$8,607 | Props total: 3 3
This thread and some of the logic in it pissed me off yesterday. Just thought I'd say that. Mos Def is both smart and intelligent.

An unintelligent and uneducated person would not have the mental capacity to communicate that type of logic to that panel. Even if his logic was flawed (last time I checked, nobody was perfect), he still pushed the issue and asked the question that the "intelligent ones" still can not answer. As "intelligent" as yall think the other panelist are, they all sat there and couldn't come up with a reasonable solution.

And if you think he's "unintelligent" because of his tone, demeanor, attire, facial expressions...etc...then you really don't know people and need to shut the f**k up. Last time I checked, we lived in a diverse world where people settle there differences differently. What makes the "intelligent ones" way the right way?

That's mighty f**king arrogant of us ain't it? I'm not a person who hates but I'll make exceptions for people with elitist view points.
 08-26-2010, 12:39 PM         #75
Jerseyelite89  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Gattsau said:
chino is a brilliant mind and what ive heard from immortal at his speeches far outweighs the avg rapper, really its not comparable the knowledge he spits in the language he uses to that of your avg "conscience" rapper. Im not sure if u watch bill maher alot but alot of celebs have been able to hold their own in similar debates. Mos just isnt articulate enough and clearly is not a great public speaker. s**t ben affleck did a better job than mos def. Id love to see immortal on that show I think hed do great since he uses facts to backup his statements unlike mos and others.
at the same time they hold rappers to a higher standard to make an a.ss of themselves, thanks in part to a cam'ron on FOX. Now i am gona watch that episode on repeat or online but with Sarah Silverman they gave her more respect then they seem to have given Mos. Of course Ben Affleck is going to do better when they allow him to speak and go at his points instead of attacking his wording. Mos made great points from an average persons point of view dealing with Nuclear weapons and Nuclear tools and such, yet these are the types of people who do these jobs for a living I mean be fair, if they had a discussion on the politics of the music industry or hip hop Mos would have run circles around everyone on that panel. The real atrocity is that they seem to not agree that Nuclear weapons are bad instead just trying to make Mos look mad, and i could understand cuz Bill Maher tends to be an a.ss and his panelist tend to be a.sses.
 7 years ago '08        #76
lifetimez 
space
space
$2,807 | Props total: 0 0
While Mos Def was wrong, he's not an idiot by any means.

"Smart" is highly relative.
 7 years ago '05        #77
CalcuoCuchicheo 
space
space
 Deckster said:
what makes someone educated or not??? cause mos def says smarter s**t in his msuic than these too old a.ss crackers have evers said
Have you ever read the works of Rushdie or Hitchens? These guys are lightyears beyond Mos Def in education AND creativity.

MasakoX said:
He attended Philippa Schuyler Middle School in Bushwick, Brooklyn on Greene street. He majored in Musical Theater at Talent Unlimited High School of the Performing Arts in Manhattan, New York City. He studied at New York University in the Gallatin School of Individualized Study

uneducated aint that
So he went to school...doesn't everyone? And he "majored in Musical Theater"...that contributes absolutely nothing to his education on these specific matters or to the development of a high standard of critical thought.

And yeah, we've already established he went to university & "studied" some weak, insignificant nonsense. Thanks for the recap.

hood135 said:
An unintelligent and uneducated person would not have the mental capacity to communicate that type of logic to that panel. Even if his logic was flawed (last time I checked, nobody was perfect), he still pushed the issue and asked the question that the "intelligent ones" still can not answer. As "intelligent" as yall think the other panelist are, they all sat there and couldn't come up with a reasonable solution.

And if you think he's "unintelligent" because of his tone, demeanor, attire, facial expressions...etc...then you really don't know people and need to shut the f**k up. Last time I checked, we lived in a diverse world where people settle there differences differently. What makes the "intelligent ones" way the right way?
"An unintelligent and uneducated person would not have the mental capacity to communicate that type of logic to that panel" - Mos Def FAILED to "communicate" any "logic" beyond the childish. Children can communicate childish thoughts, it does not make them intelligent nor educated.

"pushed the issue" - in an ignorant manner.

"still can not answer" - except the other panelists DID answer his childish queries. His mind could not process that his stance had been dismantled, however.

"a reasonable solution" - to what, Mos Def's childishness? Both Rushdie & Hitchens have considered opinions on the Iran issue; they offered them, in part, whilst Mos Def strained to get their attention like a child. Unfortunately, men of real thinking tend to express ideas & approaches with justification that requires more than a brief youtube clip.

"tone, demeanor, attire, facial expressions" - nobody mentioned "attire" but hey, I guess you want to feel persecuted. Here's an idea though, if you use a tone, have a demeanor, sport attire, or exhibit facial expressions that are childish & otherwise entirely out of place in any defined interactive setting, then you are in the wrong, & likely ignorant.

"What makes the "intelligent ones" way the right way?" - knowledge is power. Is that pithy enough for you?

Last edited by CalcuoCuchicheo; 08-27-2010 at 06:14 AM..
 7 years ago '07        #78
Pr0pa_Sh0rti 
space
space
$4,993 | Props total: 10 10
 Icemouth said:

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '10        #79
ThRoWeD MaN LaN 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,302 | Props total: 1495 1495
haha that's who Aaron Mcgruder was going at in that "d!ckriding obama"... Thugnificent was sitting in the same position that Mos Def was in during that video
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Time Traveler Came From 4126 To Give This Message
66 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
23 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
51 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 9 - serial killer todd kohlhepp - there are more victims :iseeyou2:
20 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
67 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
105 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside R.I.P. Polar Bears
106 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
77 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy