This new THE WEEKND album is flames - does bx listen to good music anymore?

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
+29  141
77 comments @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

1 week ago '19        #1
429 page views
35 comments

48laws  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
Props total: 6540 6 K  Slaps total: 793 793
This new THE WEEKND album is flames - does bx listen to good music anymore?

man the hiphop section is lacking something crazy. I guess you can say Weeknd isn't technically hiphop but fu*k it, the line has been blurred so much these days that he might as well be

either way, this section is riddled with gossip and "who shot who" bullsh*t, hoping we can talk about some music for a change and not that lipstick alley sh*t

This new album is fu*king fire, Abel really came through correct. i wasn't feeling the two singles at first but when you listen to the album in its entirety you see how well it all fits

anyone got this new sh*t on repeat?

Last edited by 48laws; 03-26-2020 at 11:06 AM..
+6   

best
worst
35 comments

1 week ago '07        #2
swiftkid21 
space
space
Props total: 4119 4 K  Slaps total: 366 366
It don't sound like the dude my friends who loved Weeknd used to listen to. They don't go crazy for his sh*t anymore and I went and peep his new stuff to hear why... I kind of understand
It's not bad, the sound he decided to lean into, I a*sume a lot of ppl like my friends just don't rock with
+5   

1 week ago '17        #3
PROV  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
space
space
Props total: 65756 65 K  Slaps total: 14683 14 K
 swiftkid21 said
It don't sound like the dude my friends who loved Weeknd used to listen to. They don't go crazy for his sh*t anymore and I went and peep his new stuff to hear why... I kind of understand
It's not bad, the sound he decided to lean into, I a*sume a lot of ppl like my friends just don't rock with
I took a look back thru his discog and besides house of balloons his albums are always inconsistent. House of balloons reigns supreme.

So i dont buy the narrative that he fell off, i just think the last few albums his star power had people saying they were perfect when they really weren't
+5   

1 week ago '19        #4
48laws  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3 OP
space
space
 swiftkid21 said
i got friends who feel the same way, but here's my thing

why do fans always want an artist to stay stagnant in their career? which artist who came out 10 years ago sounds the same? i applaud the growth, if he kept dropping albums that sounded like house of balloons people would say he was one dimensional
+4   

1 week ago '17        #5
space
space
 48laws said

why do fans always want an artist to stay stagnant in their career? which artist who came out 10 years ago sounds the same? i applaud the growth, if he kept dropping albums that sounded like house of balloons people would say he was one dimensional
Check out my reply above, i think its similar to your take.
+1   

1 week ago '19        #6
space
space
 PROV said
Check out my reply above, i think its similar to your take.
weeknd def had some misses, i didnt really fu*k with his first mainstream album (forget the name)

some of his sh*t been a little too billboard-y for me, but this new album is channeling that early weeknd for me

that "after hours" song has vintage weeknd written all over it
+2   

1 week ago '04        #7
Mike T  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 42143 42 K  Slaps total: 6266 6 K

bruh use the search function at the bottom of the site. That's what it's there for. ol I just found out Abel the gawd just dropped a cool album. It's not that great outside a few tracks. We've been talked about & praised the album. Goofy a*s op. the thread is probably on the 3rd or 4th page by now..n*gga thinking his ear for music is soooooo top tier & special nobody gets the The Weekend like i do looking a*s

Last edited by Mike T; 03-26-2020 at 11:35 AM..
+2   

1 week ago '17        #8
92baby 
space
space
Props total: 39400 39 K  Slaps total: 6116 6 K
It’s not that good and I thought all his lead singles were hits especially after hours

After hours is a god damn super hit

Most tracks on there no energy and he not saying much at all

The beats are meh

Like I’m kinda disappointed
+5   

1 week ago '17        #9
space
space
 48laws said
weeknd def had some misses, i didnt really fu*k with his first mainstream album (forget the name)

some of his sh*t been a little too billboard-y for me, but this new album is channeling that early weeknd for me

that "after hours" song has vintage weeknd written all over it
Even going back to trilogy....its front loaded like a motherfu*ker. 95% of the songs i like from it are from House of Balloons

There is wisdom in quality over quantity
+1   

1 week ago '19        #10
space
space
 Mike T said

bruh use the search function at the bottom of the site. That's what it's there for. ol I just found out Abel the gawd just dropped a cool album. It's not that great outside a few tracks. We've been talked about & praised the album. Goofy a*s op. the thread is probably on the 3rd or 4th page by now..n*gga thinking his ear for music is soooooo top tier & special nobody gets the The Weekend like i do looking a*s
Lmao ... I knew there was an album thread but this album deserves multiple threads ole unpaid boxden moderator let me use my free time to filter a free forum looking a*s :pgdead:
+1   

1 week ago '19        #11
space
space
 92baby said
Itís not that good and I thought all his lead singles were hits especially after hours

The beats are meh

Like Iím kinda disappointed
Interesting. Iíve been bumping it front to back multiple times and havenít had the need to skip anything

1 week ago '17        #12
space
space
 48laws said
Lmao ... I knew there was an album thread but this album deserves multiple threads ole unpaid boxden moderator let me use my free time to filter a free forum looking a*s
These "theres already a thread!!!" dudes the typa fool to ask "wheres my hug??" I swear. Unless the thread is identical word for word both are valid and 30 page threads suck....so much reading and scrolling.... id much rather have 3 10 page threads

1 week ago '18        #13
FireBeats  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
space
space
Props total: 39045 39 K  Slaps total: 9064 9 K
 48laws said

It ain't staying stagnant, it's continuing to make good music. Keeping a certain sound is not staying stagnant
+1   

1 week ago '17        #14
space
space
 FireBeats said
It ain't staying stagnant, it's continuing to make good music. Keeping a certain sound is not staying stagnant
I think there is two arguments to make:

1) if he made every album sound identical to house of balloons it might hurt his mass appeal

2) if he tries too hard to appeal to the masses, it wont sound like house of balloons AT ALL

He needs to be somewhere in the middle I think
+1   

1 week ago '18        #15
Pot Astronaut 
space
space
Props total: 1114 1 K  Slaps total: 71 71
His weakest effort yet...
+2   

1 week ago '16        #16
YKing 
space
space
Props total: 29632 29 K  Slaps total: 1950 1 K
this song is one of the best songs ive heard in a minute

1 week ago '17        #17
92baby 
space
space
 48laws said
Interesting. Iíve been bumping it front to back multiple times and havenít had the need to skip anything
I probably just thought it wouldíve been more darker to me falling in love with after hours

Then blinding lights sounds pretty good

And heartless is pretty dark

So I thought that was the direction

1 week ago '04        #18
Mike T  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 42143 42 K  Slaps total: 6266 6 K
 48laws said
Lmao ... I knew there was an album thread but this album deserves multiple threads ole unpaid boxden moderator let me use my free time to filter a free forum looking a*s
It's not that my guy. It's like the album is brand new. There's still plenty active threads parsing the album sharing the exact same appreciation for the album. To each it's own. your mission is accomplished. We're here still talking about the music
+1   

1 week ago '17        #19
space
space
 Mike T said
It's not that my guy. It's like the album is brand new. There's still plenty active threads parsing the album sharing the exact same appreciation for the album. To each it's own. your mission is accomplished. We're here still talking about the music
The album is no longer brand new tho

This aint the 90s or early 2000s anymore. After a week an album is no longer "brand new"

Shidd, after 3 days its no longer brand new

1 week ago '12        #20
allmaddenking 
space
space
space
Props total: 1901 1 K  Slaps total: 242 242
Only was feeling one song from the whole album. It just didn't sound like him. I understand changing and diversifying your self but the beats were trash lyrics weren't there either.
+1   

1 week ago '04        #21
skillahmang 
space
space
Props total: 31361 31 K  Slaps total: 7225 7 K
 92baby said
It’s not that good and I thought all his lead singles were hits especially after hours

The beats are meh

Like I’m kinda disappointed
Feel the same.

3 singles are really good but this sh*t lacking.
+1   

1 week ago '17        #22
92baby 
space
space
 skillahmang said
Feel the same.

3 singles are really good but this sh*t lacking.
Itís like the n*gga just said fu*k it
+1   

1 week ago '05        #23
StateProperty88 
space
space
Props total: 15800 15 K  Slaps total: 1748 1 K
i love the album
+1   

1 week ago '16        #24
MrNobody  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 13111 13 K  Slaps total: 3782 3 K
I think the forced falsetto thing heís doing now is a nod to carti who he referenced in heartless.

Itís like a falsetto baby voice. I rock with it sometimes, but for a whole song (after hours)? Nah.

Iím still wrestling with this album. The sound takes itself too seriously and is way too grandiose all the time. Even the simple max martin melodies, while really good, ignore how melody is consumed today.

So in an attempt to reinvent the 80s, the album does it in a way that doesnít fully resonate.

Look at some of drakeís recent stuff, especially the Pain 1993 leak.

U donít gotta take us to the moon and back just to take us to the moon. Keep it simple.

Thatís my problem, the production on this album never put on a pair of basketball shorts. Abel def did, but then he was just in a room full of ppl in suits while wearing basketball shorts.

And ironically, he wasnít the one who looked ridiculous cause we all enjoy a cheeky punchline from Abel every now and then.

Production just looked at Abel like he was disrupting the class.

sh*t was plainly overproduced. We just want a cool beat, Abelís voice, his flippant lyrics, and maybe a synth breakdown. You donít gotta bring a whole spaceship wit u every single time to prove that youre an alien
+2   

1 week ago '04        #25
thetrapper 
space
space
space
Props total: 3349 3 K  Slaps total: 182 182
its not a bad album at all

but his earlier work was fresher when it dropped

i love the metro records on the album but sonically this album sounds like a cross between daft punk and the new wave retro sh*t i listen to and mix in that euro trap sound

its just not for everybody

but from a creative standpoint i understand what he was going for

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+17online now  100
Video inside Kooda B Goes On Ig Live After Being Released From Prison
35 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now