IBM Supercomputer Identifies 77 Compounds That Could Fight Coronavirus

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

2 weeks ago '08        #1
3178 page views
27 comments

thetfd 
space
space
Props total: 8693 8 K  Slaps total: 1607 1 K
IBM Supercomputer Identifies 77 Compounds That Could f*ght Coronavirus

The Summit supercomputer came online several years ago with more computing power than any other non-distributed system. The US Department of Energy announced earlier this month that it would turn the systemís massive computing power toward the COVID-19 pandemic. The machine has been crunching the numbers, and it has now identified 77 chemical compounds that could help stop coronavirus.

Summit is the most powerful supercomputer on Earth by a wide margin, and itís also the third most energy-efficient. It uses 10MW of power to keep its 9,216 POWER9 22-core CPUs and 27,648 Nvidia Tesla V100 GPUs humming. It has a theoretical peak performance of over 200 petaflops and has demonstrated 148.6 petaflops in practice while operating at Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

The target of Summitís massive computing power is a specific protein on the surface of the virus particle. Like other viruses, SARS-CoV-2 needs to infect cells to make copies of itself, and it does that with the help of the Spike protein. These molecules on the surface of the virus link to angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) receptors on human cells, allowing the virus to inject its genome and hijack cellular machinery.

Summit has run simulations on more than 8,000 compounds, searching for molecules that could inactivate the virus. Early results from Summit have identified 77 compounds that could bind to the Spike protein, preventing it from binding to human cells.

Unfortunately, Summit canít devise a treatment all by itself. All that processing power is great at simulating molecular interactions, but not ideal for the nuanced process of clinical analysis. All we know right now is these 77 molecules stand a good chance of blocking the Spike protein from attaching to cells. We donít even know if the compounds Summit has identified are safe for use in humans.

Medical authorities will need to evaluate the compounds and conduct laboratory testing, which may eventually lead to clinical tests with human subjects. This is just part of our efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19. Work on a vaccine is separate from this. A vaccine could stop infections from taking place at all, but a treatment based on Summitís work could help alleviate the symptoms of COVID-19 and increase survival rates. Unfortunately, vaccines are much harder to develop.

visit this link https://www.extremetech.c .. m_medium=title
+8   

best
worst
27 comments

2 weeks ago '19        #2
925  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
space
Props total: 4987 4 K  Slaps total: 3639 3 K
Just think our immune systems have multiple times the computing power of even this supercomputer, regulate ACE2 and are familiar with the proteins required.

Boost your immune system you don't need a super computer

There needs to be an immune boosting thread.

Vitamin A,C, and especially D
Minerals...Zinc, Selenium
Good sleep
Limit stress
Fasting if you sick and not hungry don't eat.
If you cold and have a fever get under a breathable blanket.

Some antivirals even garlic would work... things like Elderberry, Tumeric

There are even articles on foods that inhibit ACE2 if that ever even becomes necessary. Think whey was on there. Imo lowering blood pressure and blood sugar probably inhibit ACE2.

Last edited by 925; 03-23-2020 at 08:27 PM..
+57   

2 weeks ago '16        #3
foshoVoodoo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
Props total: 48364 48 K  Slaps total: 10604 10 K
Heal yourselves breddren
+8   

2 weeks ago '12        #4
acefresh 
space
space
space
Props total: 48659 48 K  Slaps total: 4145 4 K
Imagine if they used all that computing power to create an entire livable playable world...

+15   

2 weeks ago '15        #5
Prad Bitt 
space
space
Props total: 7458 7 K  Slaps total: 791 791
 925 said
Just think our immune systems have multiple times the computing power of even this supercomputer, regulate ACE2 and are familiar with the proteins required.

Good sleep
Limit stress

There are even articles on foods that inhibit ACE2 if that ever even becomes necessary. Think whey was on there. Imo lowering blood pressure and blood sugar probably inhibit ACE2.
Everytime I extol vitamin c, vitamin d, and zinc people think Iím a quack. These Iíd trust over anything prescribed especially vitamin c.
+9   

2 weeks ago '06        #6
realgunta  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
Props total: 78269 78 K  Slaps total: 4144 4 K
take care of yourself guys

be strong

strengthen your body with proper foods, exercise, water, rest and being stress free.

you will be better off in all aspects of life.
+10   

2 weeks ago '17        #7
Wavie Crockett 
space
space
Props total: 5328 5 K  Slaps total: 5285 5 K
 925 said

Good sleep
Limit stress

Whats your thoughts on seamoss?
+1   

2 weeks ago '06        #8
JUICEbox 
space
space
Props total: 2396 2 K  Slaps total: 439 439
 acefresh said
Imagine if they used all that computing power to create an entire livable playable world...

It would take more energy than we have ever consumed in the entirity of mankind
+2   

2 weeks ago '14        #9
TrillbertArenas 
space
space
Props total: 6242 6 K  Slaps total: 388 388
 925 said

Good sleep
Limit stress

i Agree with you wholeheartedly. Immune system primed with adequate rest, vitamin/mineral intake and just overall eating healthier goes a long way for most ppl. Diet is incredibly underrated. However for some ppl a strong immune system means an even worse immune response. This is why you hear of some ppl that were very healthy before contracting the virus and have debilitating symptoms. Its a double edged sword. I had a taste of it 2 yrs ago when i suffered from autoimmune symptoms of Follicular occlusion syndrome. It got so bad all the docs i went to suggested id need to be on Humira; a powerful immunosuppressant for the rest of my life. I chose to change my eating habits instead and now im ok. The immune system is pretty complicated and interconnected in ways that are still a mystery to scientists. But you right. The right foods good for you overall
+5   

2 weeks ago '17        #10
JacobWatch 
space
space
Props total: 20862 20 K  Slaps total: 1538 1 K
I don’t understand super computers.

Did they type in “how to stop corona virus” and then it printed out that list?
+4   

2 weeks ago '15        #11
biggydski 
space
space
space
Props total: 561 561  Slaps total: 110 110
 JacobWatch said
I donít understand super computers.

Did they type in ďhow to stop corona virusĒ and then it printed out that list?
Google on a super computer can load more accurate answers than a regular computer
+3   

2 weeks ago '19        #12
space
space
space
 Prad Bitt said
Everytime I extol vitamin c, vitamin d, and zinc people think Iím a quack. These Iíd trust over anything prescribed especially vitamin c.
Luckily I live in Florida. Everytime my throat so much as tickles I go in the backyard and get some sun on my chest. Hasn't failed me yet.

Yesterday I read how the experts instructed seriously ill patients to wear a mask and be kept indoors during the Spanish flu pandemic. Some brave nurses defied these orders tookoff their patients masks and let them sun bath. They did remarkably better in the fresh air/sunlight than patients stuck in the hospital.

Like you I trust my instincts and vitamins more than a prescription pad. Doctors are only good for emergency situations day to day regular life they make worse.
+5   

2 weeks ago '19        #13
space
space
space
 Wavie Crockett said
Whats your thoughts on seamoss?
Never used it personally. Gets great reviews apparently for skin conditions and the skin is one of your immune systems primary defenses. You fix your gut and fix your skin you fix your immune system.
+3   

2 weeks ago '19        #14
space
space
space
 TrillbertArenas said
i Agree with you wholeheartedly. Immune system primed with adequate rest, vitamin/mineral intake and just overall eating healthier goes a long way for most ppl. Diet is incredibly underrated. However for some ppl a strong immune system means an even worse immune response. This is why you hear of some ppl that were very healthy before contracting the virus and have debilitating symptoms. Its a double edged sword. I had a taste of it 2 yrs ago when i suffered from autoimmune symptoms of Follicular occlusion syndrome. It got so bad all the docs i went to suggested id need to be on Humira; a powerful immunosuppressant for the rest of my life. I chose to change my eating habits instead and now im ok. The immune system is pretty complicated and interconnected in ways that are still a mystery to scientists. But you right. The right foods good for you overall
Yeah. I agree with the exception of the "autoimmune" angle. Rarely does the body attack itself for no reason. What it most likely is is the body f*ghting off a systematic infection or in your case sounds like a food intolerance. The body may attack itself but in that case the immune system needs to be reset not suppressed-exceot in severe cases. Either way you are right because if the body is attacking itself, attacking a systematic infection or dealing with intolerances the immune system is being taxed.

At any rate there are ways to reset the immune system to distinguish the present dangers. Fasting being the most researched and undoubtedly probably the best way to reset. Lately I been focusing on exercise and breathing techniques which also can reset the parasympathetic nervous system.
+6   

2 weeks ago '15        #15
Prad Bitt 
space
space
Props total: 7458 7 K  Slaps total: 791 791
 925 said
Yeah. I agree with the exception of the "autoimmune" angle. Rarely does the body attack itself for no reason. What it most likely is is the body f*ghting off a systematic infection or in your case sounds like a food intolerance. The body may attack itself but in that case the immune system needs to be reset not suppressed-exceot in severe cases. Either way you are right because if the body is attacking itself, attacking a systematic infection or dealing with intolerances the immune system is being taxed.

At any rate there are ways to reset the immune system to distinguish the present dangers. Fasting being the most researched and undoubtedly probably the best way to reset. Lately I been focusing on exercise and breathing techniques which also can reset the parasympathetic nervous system.
You are supposed to fast when faced with a viral situation your body tells you this when you lose appetite.
+4   

2 weeks ago '06        #16
tonygunz 
space
space
space
Props total: 1746 1 K  Slaps total: 81 81
Over this past weekend, I went down the rabbit hole of reading up on studies on NIH.gov that were published prior to this COVID-19 stuff, just seeing what types of research and studies were conducted on previous coronavirus strains and other viruses. There's so much misinformation out there now that this has become a worldwide phenomena, so I focused on studies that were conducted well before all of this. There's quite a number of studies showing whether or not certain compounds have been effective, and some folks may be quite surprised (others already know) that there are a lot of OTC and natural supplements that have been researched/tested and proven to be effective in either minimizing the ability to get infected or minimize symptoms after infection for a number of different viruses. Some of the research studies I read were conducted on mice/monkeys, and others on humans.

Long story short, I would suggest people get their study on regarding supplements that have been PROVEN via research to be effective in strengthening your immune system. Make sure you're staying hydrated, stay active, lay off the alcohol and smoking, and try to limit the amount of junk/bullsh*t you eat.

Vitamin C
Vitamin D
Black Seed Oil
Beta Glucan 1,3/1,6
AHCC

Those are a few that I looked into that have some really interesting, proven, or promising use for preventing infection or minimizing the damage/symptoms after becoming infected.
+5   

2 weeks ago '18        #17
Mr Tibbs 
space
space
Props total: 4953 4 K  Slaps total: 605 605
 JacobWatch said
I don’t understand super computers.

Did they type in “how to stop corona virus” and then it printed out that list?

+3   

2 weeks ago '17        #18
JacobWatch 
space
space
Props total: 20862 20 K  Slaps total: 1538 1 K
 Mr Tibbs said
Dope

2 weeks ago '04        #19
Dj KraZ 
space
space
Props total: 1435 1 K  Slaps total: 142 142
Liposomal Vitamin C
ZINC
VITAMIN D
VITAMIN A
THIEVES OIL
OREGANO OIL
+3   

2 weeks ago '11        #20
Illdoctor 
space
space
Props total: 976 976  Slaps total: 311 311
 TrillbertArenas said
However for some ppl a strong immune system means an even worse immune response. This is why you hear of some ppl that were very healthy before contracting the virus and have debilitating symptoms. Its a double edged sword. I had a taste of it 2 yrs ago when i suffered from autoimmune symptoms of Follicular occlusion syndrome. It got so bad all the docs i went to suggested id need to be on Humira; a powerful immunosuppressant for the rest of my life. I chose to change my eating habits instead and now im ok. The immune system is pretty complicated and interconnected in ways that are still a mystery to scientists. But you right. The right foods good for you overall
Your post doesn't make much sense there, I don't see the connection. Unless there's something you haven't explained.
I'm quite knowledgeable in this topic (and the medical condition) by the way.

What you imply could be attributed to different factors, it would be incorrect though to attribute a weakness/stronger response to a stronger immune system. It's very contextual.

In the case of autoimmune diseases, people often refrain from eating certain foods. This is needed to let your gut heal for example. Some of these foods should actually not be consumed for the rest of life. But unfortunately what often happens is that people go on a more and more restricted diet trying to "weed out" all sorts of potential immunoreactive compounds that their immune system, while being objectively better in many ways (through healed gut, etc.), is actually worse off in the long term because as soon as one of those compounds enters the body, the immune system doesn't know how to respond and overreacts.

Think of a person who has a problem that they attribute to gluten or whatever. Bit by bit they start excluding dairy, nuts, lectins, alkaloids, you name it. sh*t, maybe even coffee due to "cross-reactivity". Soon enough, perhaps after a year or two or three they're on a fukking carnivore diet lol but healthier than ever by any metric. Now the next thing you know, a damn piece cashew falls into their salad at the restaurant and they get a seizure and have to be transported to the hospital lmao!! You really have to find a delicate balance that works for you, as I'm sure you know.

This phenomenon is akin to a castle that has the thickest and highest walls imaginable and is manned by the most elite soldiers. And they built this years ago to protect themselves from, let's say, white walkers. But they haven't had to deal with an actual, real life situation in forever and next thing you know a dozen rogue Dothraki bring the entire empire down lol

Now please don't get me wrong, I actually believe that dairy and such stuff is not good for us. Just trying to corroborate in my own way your statement about the complexity of immunology and the human body in general.
+4   

2 weeks ago '04        #21
JayR04 
space
space
Props total: 10434 10 K  Slaps total: 560 560
 925 said

Good sleep
Limit stress

When people first started hoarding toilet paper and hand sanitizer, all the vitamins and vegetables were fully stocked

+6   

2 weeks ago '18        #22
Eyesofchaos 
space
space
Props total: 4343 4 K  Slaps total: 3112 3 K
 TrillbertArenas said
Gut flora and all that. Kombucha works wonders as well because it replenishes all of the good bacteria your gut (where the immune system is located) needs.
+1   

2 weeks ago '07        #23
cankstoochie 
space
space
Props total: 6319 6 K  Slaps total: 2028 2 K
 tonygunz said
Over this past weekend, I went down the rabbit hole of reading up on studies on NIH.gov that were published prior to this COVID-19 stuff, just seeing what types of research and studies were conducted on previous coronavirus strains and other viruses. There's so much misinformation out there now that this has become a worldwide phenomena, so I focused on studies that were conducted well before all of this. There's quite a number of studies showing whether or not certain compounds have been effective, and some folks may be quite surprised (others already know) that there are a lot of OTC and natural supplements that have been researched/tested and proven to be effective in either minimizing the ability to get infected or minimize symptoms after infection for a number of different viruses. Some of the research studies I read were conducted on mice/monkeys, and others on humans.

Long story short, I would suggest people get their study on regarding supplements that have been PROVEN via research to be effective in strengthening your immune system. Make sure you're staying hydrated, stay active, lay off the alcohol and smoking, and try to limit the amount of junk/bullsh*t you eat.

Vitamin C
Vitamin D
Black Seed Oil
Beta Glucan 1,3/1,6
AHCC

Those are a few that I looked into that have some really interesting, proven, or promising use for preventing infection or minimizing the damage/symptoms after becoming infected.

whats your take on beta glucan? does it work?

2 weeks ago '12        #24
GoldRush 
space
space
Props total: 809 809  Slaps total: 30 30
 925 said
Never used it personally. Gets great reviews apparently for skin conditions and the skin is one of your immune systems primary defenses. You fix your gut and fix your skin you fix your immune system.
especially that - thats why hyperbiotics/probiotics are a good thing
+1   

2 weeks ago '15        #25
Yogiya34 
space
space
Props total: 8976 8 K  Slaps total: 2016 2 K
 acefresh said

We are already in .join us #flatearthescapeoncemoreliketheflinstones

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+20online now  22
YaYa Mayweather Potentially Being Charged With Murder... Girl In Critic..
278 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
-18online now  13
Image(s) inside The rest of the world wondering why NY has so many Covid Cases
86 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  8
Gay bros trollin Rich the Kid's IG live hard
39 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+346online now  6
Image(s) inside Apr 4 - Iíve lost 3 family members to Coronavirus this week...
176 comments
2 days ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy