Mar 20 - New World Order: Coronavirus Will Change the World Permanently

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT section news

2 weeks ago '05        #1
9783 page views
94 comments

phantomnation  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x27
space
space
Props total: 71286 71 K  Slaps total: 5540 5 K
Mar 20 - New World Order: Coronavirus Will Change the World Permanently

or many Americans right now, the scale of the coronavirus crisis calls to mind 9/11 or the 2008 financial crisis—events that reshaped society in lasting ways, from how we travel and buy homes, to the level of security and surveillance we’re accustomed to, and even to the language we use.

Politico Magazine surveyed more than thirty smart, macro thinkers this week, and they have some news for you: Buckle in. This could be bigger:

The personal becomes dangerous.

Deborah Tannen is a professor of linguistics at Georgetown and author, most recently, of You’re the Only One I Can Tell: Inside the Language of Women’s Friendships.

On 9/11, Americans discovered we are vulnerable to calamities we thought only happened in distant lands. The 2008 financial crisis told us we also can suffer the calamities of past eras, like the economic meltdown of the Great Depression. Now, the 1918 flu pandemic is a sudden specter in our lives.

This loss of innocence, or complacency, is a new way of being-in-the-world that we can expect to change our doing-in-the-world. We know now that touching things, being with other people and breathing the air in an enclosed space can be risky. How quickly that awareness recedes will be different for different people, but it can never vanish completely for anyone who lived through this year. It could become second nature to recoil from shaking hands or touching our faces—and we may all fall heir to society-wide OCD, as none of us can stop washing our hands.

The comfort of being in the presence of others might be replaced by a greater comfort with absence, especially with those we don’t know intimately. Instead of asking, “Is there a reason to do this online?” we’ll be asking, “Is there any good reason to do this in person?”—

A new kind of patriotism.

Mark Lawrence Schrad is an a*sociate professor of political science and author of the forthcoming Smashing the Liquor Machine: A Global History of Prohibition.

America has long equated patriotism with the armed forces. But you can’t shoot a virus. Those on the frontlines against coronavirus aren’t conscripts, mercenaries or enlisted men; they are our doctors, nurses, pharmacists, teachers, caregivers, store clerks, utility workers, small-business owners and employees. Like Li Wenliang and the doctors of Wuhan, many are suddenly saddled with unfathomable tasks, compounded by an increased risk of contamination and death they never signed up for.

When all is said and done, perhaps we will recognize their sacrifice as true patriotism, saluting our doctors and nurses, genuflecting and saying, “Thank you for your service,” as we now do for military veterans. We will give them guaranteed health benefits and corporate discounts, and build statues and have holidays for this new class of people who sacrifice their health and their lives for ours. Perhaps, too, we will finally start to understand patriotism more as cultivating the health and life of your community, rather than blowing up someone else’s community. Maybe the de-militarization of American patriotism and love of community will be one of the benefits to come out of this whole awful mess.

A decline in polarization.

Peter T. Coleman is a professor of psychology at Columbia University who studies intractable conflict. His next book, The Way Out: How to Overcome Toxic Polarization, will be released in 2021.

The extraordinary shock(s) to our system that the coronavirus pandemic is bringing has the potential to break America out of the 50-plus year pattern of escalating political and cultural polarization we have been trapped in, and help us to change course toward greater national solidarity and functionality. It might sound idealistic, but there are two reasons to think it can happen.

The first is the “common enemy” scenario, in which people begin to look past their differences when faced with a shared external threat. COVID-19 is presenting us with a formidable enemy that will not distinguish between reds and blues, and might provide us with fusion-like energy and a singularity of purpose to help us reset and regroup. During the Blitz, the 56-day Nazi bombing campaign against the Britain, Winston Churchill’s cabinet was amazed and heartened to witness the ascendance of human goodness—altruism, compassion and generosity of spirit and action.

The second reason is the “political shock wave” scenario. Studies have shown that strong, enduring relational patterns often become more susceptible to change after some type of major shock destabilizes them. This doesn’t necessarily happen right away, but a study of 850 enduring inter-state conflicts that occurred between 1816 to 1992 found that more than 75 percent of them ended within 10 years of a major destabilizing shock. Societal shocks can break different ways, making things better or worse. But given our current levels of tension, this scenario suggests that now is the time to begin to promote more constructive patterns in our cultural and political discourse. The time for change is clearly ripening.

Less individualism.

Eric Klinenberg is professor of sociology and director of the Institute for Public Knowledge at New York University. He is the author, most recently, of Palaces for the People: How Social Infrastructure Can Help f*ght Inequality, Polarization, and the Decline of Civic Life.

The coronavirus pandemic marks the end of our romance with market society and hyper-individualism. We could turn toward authoritarianism. Imagine President Donald Trump trying to suspend the November election. Consider the prospect of a military crackdown. The dystopian scenario is real. But I believe we will go in the other direction. We’re now seeing the market-based models for social organization fail, catastrophically, as self-seeking behavior (from Trump down) makes this crisis so much more dangerous than it needed to be.

When this ends, we will reorient our politics and make substantial new investments in public goods—for health, especially—and public services. I don’t think we will become less communal. Instead, we will be better able to see how our fates are linked. The cheap burger I eat from a restaurant that denies paid sick leave to its cashiers and kitchen staff makes me more vulnerable to illness, as does the neighbor who refuses to stay home in a pandemic because our public school failed to teach him science or critical thinking skills. The economy—and the social order it helps support—will collapse if the government doesn’t guarantee income for the millions of workers who will lose their jobs in a major recession or depression. Young adults will fail to launch if government doesn’t help reduce or cancel their student debt. The coronavirus pandemic is going to cause immense pain and suffering. But it will force us to reconsider who we are and what we value, and, in the long run, it could help us rediscover the better version of ourselves.

Continue: visit this link https://www.politico.com/ .. s-covid-135579
+32   

best
worst
94 comments

2 weeks ago '15        #2
POTUS2045  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 4289 4 K  Slaps total: 808 808
Great read.
+14   

2 weeks ago '15        #3
naledgestate 
space
space
Props total: 12648 12 K  Slaps total: 834 834
Iroronically, hyper individualism is one of the reasons why the pandemic is spreading in US because motherfu*kers wont listen.

Other countries lock sh*t down, and think of the collective. They get out on the otherside quicker.

Life will eventually return to normal with no NWO installed.

I guarantee you the US will have some of the worst stats when this sh*t is all said and done
+108   

2 weeks ago '05        #4
Tha Boss  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
space
Props total: 67471 67 K  Slaps total: 32488 32 K
Just cause 2-4 nerds quoted in this article THINK something’s will happen a certain way doesn’t mean anything. sh*t this thread bout to be flooded with bx economist once they wake up. Should we take their word also
+38   

2 weeks ago '05        #5
MATIX 
space
space
Props total: 2067 2 K  Slaps total: 425 425
More nationalism, more restrictive borders, and less reliance from other countries.... Where have I heard this before?
+28   

2 weeks ago '17        #6
Ymmot  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
space
Props total: 48727 48 K  Slaps total: 10984 10 K
 naledgestate said
Iroronically, hyper individualism is one of the reasons why the pandemic is spreading in US because motherfu*kers wont listen.

Other countries lock sh*t down, and think of the collective. They get out on the otherside quicker.

Life will eventually return to normal with no NWO installed.

I guarantee you the US will have some of the worst stats when this sh*t is all said and done
Excellent post. I laugh at people who claim the government is trying to take away our freedom. We have more freedom than anyone could ever need in this country; there's a reason people from other every country want to live here. But we have some of the stupidest citizens in the world. We have all this freedom and opportunity and Americans are stereotyped as fat, lazy, gun loving, nascar loving, mcdonalds eating, loud idiots.
+16   

2 weeks ago '17        #7
space
space
space
 MATIX said
More nationalism, more restrictive borders, and less reliance from other countries.... Where have I heard this before?
Hitler, Musolini, Mao, etc...
+8   

2 weeks ago '04        #8
Exs  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x29
space
space
Props total: 56222 56 K  Slaps total: 13930 13 K
spot reserved
+3   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 weeks ago '07        #9
yolaboy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
space
space
Props total: 27873 27 K  Slaps total: 2459 2 K
 Ymmot said
We have more freedom than anyone could ever need
whoa wrong, wrong, wrong

just because we have more than others doesn't mean we have more than we need, let alone all we need

we're about halfway to where we need to be, do not settle for less
+34   

2 weeks ago '17        #10
Hex 
space
space
Props total: 3416 3 K  Slaps total: 129 129
Would’ve made the title less dramatic even though it’s true. The content is what people need to hear.
+1   

2 weeks ago '12        #11
Pleasure Boy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 13664 13 K  Slaps total: 1961 1 K

+44   

2 weeks ago '17        #12
space
space
space
 yolaboy said
whoa wrong, wrong, wrong

just because we have more than others doesn't mean we have more than we need, let alone all we need

we're about halfway to where we need to be, do not settle for less
Nah man, we have plenty of freedom in this country. You can do almost anything you want short of k*lling people and selling drugs. And if you have enough money you can do that too. But look what this freedom has brought us: we're obese, we're lazy, we're racist, we're obsessed with guns, we create tons of trash and pollution, we're obsessed with ourselves, we're proud of our ignorance. We could be the most productive country on Earth, look what someone like Elon Musk has done. But instead trump is currently our President, that's who a good amount of Americans think represents us and look up to. We definitely have plenty of freedom.
+20   

2 weeks ago '18        #13
back1  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
space
Props total: 2860 2 K  Slaps total: 1196 1 K
Eh, people will forget and go back to their regular lives eventually. Shot is ALWAYS blown out of proportion.

Sure there will be some financial and legislative changes, but that’s about it.
+1   

2 weeks ago '04        #14
eazyvaboy 
space
space
Props total: 24880 24 K  Slaps total: 1259 1 K
 Ymmot said
Hitler, Musolini, Mao, Trump...
Fixed

+12   

2 weeks ago '19        #15
Amarula  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
Props total: 7466 7 K  Slaps total: 6733 6 K
build the fu*king wall i'm tired of seeing immigrants everywhere that dont know a word of english

Top 10 most propped recently  2 weeks ago '07        #16
space
space
 Ymmot said
But look what this freedom has brought us: we're obese, we're lazy, we're racist, we're obsessed with guns, we create tons of trash and pollution, we're obsessed with ourselves, we're proud of our ignorance.
those are byproducts of capitalism and the ideologies it breeds

Ymmot said
look what someone like Elon Musk has done.
panhandles government and sovereign wealth fund money, creates toxic workplaces, makes promises he can't deliver while tricking people into thinking he uses his own money to better the world?

Elon Musk is a rich person, who helps rich people, help rich people, nothing more, well, maybe an aspiring scam artist, dude is a modern-day Mother Theresa, weapons-grade piece of sh*t with a great marketing team

Ymmot said
Nah man, we have plenty of freedom in this country. We definitely have plenty of freedom.
sure we have plenty of freedom relative to other countries, but saying we have more than we need is wrong, we have less than we need and suggesting otherwise is recklessly dangerous and opens the doors to conservative fantasies

people don't have the freedom to make choices with their body
people don't have the freedom of equal access for cultural expression
people don't have the freedom to cast their votes in a timely manner
people don't have the freedom of equality

just because i can bench more than a 10 year old, doesn't mean i have more than the strength i need, it means i am stronger than a 10 year old, that's it

freedom is not your enemy
+25   

2 weeks ago '04        #17
d.c. supreme  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 20529 20 K  Slaps total: 1153 1 K
 MATIX said
the entire history of nation-states save for the past 75 years?

2 weeks ago '17        #18
space
space
space
 yolaboy said

just because i can bench more than a 10 year old, doesn't mean i have more than the strength i need, it means i am stronger than a 10 year old, that's it

I get what you're saying, but those are a different type of freedom. I'm talking about when these redneck a*s trump supporters cry about supposedly losing their freedoms. We can always improve, but people as a whole in this country have plenty of freedom. You can't be hung or beaten or arrested or imprisoned for your religious beliefs (although trump is somewhat threatening to that freedom), you can't be imprisoned for your political beliefs, etc. You can voice your opinion, you can go buy whatever silly little thing you can afford with your money, you can live in whatever type of house or apartment or van or whatever you can afford, you can wear whatever shirt you want.
+1   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 weeks ago '07        #19
space
space
 Ymmot said
I get what you're saying, but those are a different type of freedom. I'm talking about when these redneck a*s trump supporters cry about supposedly losing their freedoms. We can always improve, but people as a whole in this country have plenty of freedom. You can't be hung or beaten or arrested or imprisoned for your religious beliefs (although trump is somewhat threatening to that freedom), you can't be imprisoned for your political beliefs, etc. You can voice your opinion, you can go buy whatever silly little thing you can afford with your money, you can live in whatever type of house or apartment or van or whatever you can afford, you can wear whatever shirt you want.
word, i think the breakdown is i differentiate between freedom and rights and it sounds like you combine them
+12   

2 weeks ago '17        #20
space
space
space
 yolaboy said
word, i think the breakdown is i differentiate between freedom and rights and it sounds like you combine them
Yeah, I shouldn't have generalized so much. But I agree with your points.
+5   

2 weeks ago '15        #21
RickJamez 
space
space
Props total: 4175 4 K  Slaps total: 770 770
Watch all prices rise.
+1   

2 weeks ago '18        #22
BrooklynDamien  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 22138 22 K  Slaps total: 2374 2 K
Every time I saw new things implemented that I had read about like the rfid chips in the passports I always wished I was wrong. Or what I had read was wrong. Hope I'm wrong
+5   

2 weeks ago '16        #23
space
space
Props total: 25967 25 K  Slaps total: 3182 3 K
 Ymmot said
Excellent post. I laugh at people who claim the government is trying to take away our freedom. We have more freedom than anyone could ever need in this country; there's a reason people from other every country want to live here. But we have some of the stupidest citizens in the world. We have all this freedom and opportunity and Americans are stereotyped as fat, lazy, gun loving, nascar loving, mcdonalds eating, loud idiots.
Besides the gun rights what other rights do Americans have that they don't need?

Last edited by 00010111; 03-20-2020 at 12:55 PM..

2 weeks ago '18        #24
TheLuminousOne  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 4586 4 K  Slaps total: 250 250
Wait for the chemtrails
+1   

2 weeks ago '16        #25
space
space
Props total: 25967 25 K  Slaps total: 3182 3 K
 yolaboy said
those are byproducts of capitalism and the ideologies it breeds

panhandles government and sovereign wealth fund money, creates toxic workplaces, makes promises he can't deliver while tricking people into thinking he uses his own money to better the world?

Elon Musk is a rich person, who helps rich people, help rich people, nothing more, well, maybe an aspiring scam artist, dude is a modern-day Mother Theresa, weapons-grade piece of sh*t with a great marketing team

sure we have plenty of freedom relative to other countries, but saying we have more than we need is wrong, we have less than we need and suggesting otherwise is recklessly dangerous and opens the doors to conservative fantasies

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+260online now  45
Image(s) inside Apr 4 - I’ve lost 3 family members to Coronavirus this week...
147 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  41
Floyd Mayweather’s daughter has been arrested after stabbing NBA YOUNGB..
58 comments
22 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+29online now  35
Image(s) inside Young chop posted a suspect pic of waka and southside
148 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  19
Image(s) inside New Episode Of TIGER KING Dropping New Week! 🐅👑