PS5's SSD puts the PS5 on the same level as Series X

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

3 weeks ago '14        #1
4118 page views
216 comments

Swade009  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
space
Props total: 12850 12 K  Slaps total: 7989 7 K
PS5's SSD puts the PS5 on the same level as Series X

Because the SSD can hold the memory of textures I/O throughput might make games run better on the PS5.

The PS5 may have actually won and that's why devs have been saying the PS5 is special.

EDIT
Wow it seems like the PS5 might be superior console graphics wise.

Last edited by Swade009; 03-18-2020 at 09:05 PM..

best
worst
216 comments

3 weeks ago '19        #2
SlimKenobi 
space
space
space
Props total: 913 913  Slaps total: 84 84
+11   

3 weeks ago '16        #3
KANG SuPaFLyy 
space
space
space
Props total: 170 170  Slaps total: 36 36
 Swade009 said

Because the SSD can hold the memory of textures I/O throughput might make games run better on the PS5.

The PS5 may have actually won and that's why devs have been saying the PS5 is special.

EDIT

Umm...no....it doesn't
+8   

3 weeks ago '12        #4
OldBusiness 
space
space
Props total: 95905 95 K  Slaps total: 6907 6 K
 KANG SuPaFLyy said
Umm...no....it doesn't
Shhhhh let em spin it

They gotta sleep at night
+9   

3 weeks ago '17        #5
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
Props total: 85982 85 K  Slaps total: 5313 5 K
 OldBusiness said
Shhhhh let em spin it

They gotta sleep at night
Yeah, I can't say I'm as excited as I am with the Series X. Granted it's still powerful but here are my concerns.

1. It will use "certified off the shelf NVME drives that don't exist and might not be available at launch. Which the the massive size the games will take up that tiny 825 GB drive, you might only be able to have 4-5 games installed.

2. It's boost clock is lower than the Series X base clock. That means if it thermal throttles it could suffer even more in performance.

3. Only 100 PS4 games are backwards compatible at launch. Forget about the PS1 2 and 3 games, only 100 PS4 games at launch is unacceptable.

I know this showing was for devs but as a consumer when most of your presentation is about the SSD that's not confidence inspiring.
+7   

3 weeks ago '12        #6
OldBusiness 
space
space
 Naga Sadow said
Yeah, I can't say I'm as excited as I am with the Series X. Granted it's still powerful but here are my concerns.

1. It will use "certified off the shelf NVME drives that don't exist and might not be available at launch. Which the the massive size the games will take up that tiny 825 GB drive, you might only be able to have 4-5 games installed.

2. It's boost clock is lower than the Series X base clock. That means if it thermal throttles it could suffer even more in performance.

3. Only 100 PS4 games are backwards compatible at launch. Forget about the PS1 2 and 3 games, only 100 PS4 games at launch is unacceptable.

I know this showing was for devs but as a consumer when most of your presentation is about the SSD that's not confidence inspiring.
The fact that its being overclocked and having to boost its way to the numbers they chose to go public with is misleading and fu*ked up. The system won't even be performing at those speeds most of the time1, for instance that 10.2 teraflop number is really going to be 9.2-9.5 for the majority of the generation and first party titles at the end of the consoles life cycle are going to be the ones to tap into that power years down the road.

When Microsoft is promising 12.1tflops locked out the gate.

That speedy SSD is going to become a headache when it comes to pricing because that could be the reason they eat a nice loss per system sold, or they enter at a less than competitive price point.

Microsoft won the spec war. Its no way to spin it, but Sonys gonna have to come out swinging with those games.

And that backwards compatibility sh*t is disgusting. They had a whole generatioj to get it right and instead they put on their usual arrogant face and said fu*k it and now theyre playing catch up by doing sh*t Microsoft was doing 5+ years ago. Successful Sony has always been meh, its when theyre down/out and hungry that they shine.

Last edited by OldBusiness; 03-18-2020 at 07:54 PM..
+13   

3 weeks ago '17        #7
space
space
 OldBusiness said
The fact that its being overclocked and having to boost its way to the numbers they chose to go public with is misleading and fu*ked up. The system won't even be performing at those speeds most of the time1, for instance that 10.2 teraflop number is really going to be 9.2-9.5 for the majority of the generation and first party titles at the end of the consoles life cycle are going to be the ones to tap into that power years down the road.

When Microsoft is promising 12.1tflops locked out the gate.

That speedy SSD is going to become a headache when it comes to pricing because that could be the reason they eat a nice loss per system sold, or they enter at a less than competitive price point.

Microsoft won the spec war. Its no way to spin it, but Sonys gonna have to come out swinging with those games.
So the Series X is already 20% more powerful than the PS5 at its max. If it suffers heat soak it could dip much worse and they never stated a base clock or even talk about multi threaded clock speeds if I'm not mistaken. And you can't even get a basic 1TB PCI-E 3.0 for under $100 and those speeds are a*s and I found 512 GB 4.0 that go for more than $200. Those load speeds might be great but you better only play to 3 games at a time.
+5   

3 weeks ago '05        #8
dblockallday 
space
space
Props total: 2415 2 K  Slaps total: 412 412
someone explain how these consoles are going to be sub 1k if they're so powerful and if so can a computer be built at that price? or at they not going to make money on console sales?
+4   

3 weeks ago '12        #9
OldBusiness 
space
space
 Naga Sadow said
So the Series X is already 20% more powerful than the PS5 at its max. If it suffers heat soak it could dip much worse and they never stated a base clock or even talk about multi threaded clock speeds if I'm not mistaken. And you can't even get a basic 1TB PCI-E 3.0 for under $100 and those speeds are a*s and I found 512 GB 4.0 that go for more than $200. Those load speeds might be great but you better only play to 3 games at a time.
From dude at digital foundry whose doing his own deep dive on both systems:

On the other hand, the PS5 is quite less powerful than the Xbox Series X when it comes to the CPU and especially the GPU. Not only is the official TFLOPs count quite different (12 for the Xbox Series X and 10.28 for the PS5), Sony's next-generation console is also using variable frequency on both CPU and GPU, unlike Xbox Series X.

This means that the CPU frequency won't always be at 3.5 GHz and most importantly the GPU frequency won't always be at 2.23 GHz, which would be insanely high. In fact, our hardware team (who's crafting a deep dive analysis right now) at Wccftech believes the usual clock could be well below that frequency, leading to a much lower TFLOPs count.

PlayStation 5 Logo Revealed, Impressive PS4 and PSVR Sales Numbers Updated

The main issue will be for PS5 developers, though. John Linneman suggested that this design could force them to make some choices that just won't be necessary when making games for Microsoft's next-generation console, which comes with fixed clocks

Its a fast SSD. And its going to be faster at loading less lol.

The Series X was built to be a tank. Throw everything at it...while the ps5 is more of a "Throw some of this over here at it....and watch it load fast...okay its gonna load a little bit more.....but didnt it load it fast?"
+11   

3 weeks ago '17        #10
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
Props total: 45787 45 K  Slaps total: 11617 11 K
*bookmarks thread*

3 weeks ago '17        #11
space
space
 OldBusiness said
From dude at digital foundry whose doing his own deep dive on both systems:

Its a fast SSD. And its going to be faster at loading less lol.

The Series X was built to be a tank. Throw everything at it...while the ps5 is more of a "Throw some of this over here at it....and watch it load fast...okay its gonna load a little bit more.....but didnt it load it fast?"
I have a theory. I bet the the initial power of the PS5 was 9.2 TFLOPS but once they caught wind of the Series X they boosted the clock speed in order to get what little they could.
+8   

3 weeks ago '05        #12
HARBINGER 
space
space
Props total: 18074 18 K  Slaps total: 6070 6 K
 Swade009 said

EDIT

yall n*ggas really scrambling on damage control huhh
+11   

3 weeks ago '12        #13
OldBusiness 
space
space
 Naga Sadow said
I have a theory. I bet the the initial power of the PS5 was 9.2 TFLOPS but once they caught wind of the Series X they boosted the clock speed in order to get what little they could.
Thats what everyone on the nets saying. The 10.2 teraflops number is after its been boosted and overclocked to hell. Its very rarely ever gonna hit the numbers they put on paper, cause once that thing heats up its either gonna have to slow down, or sound like a jet engine. And for.those of us paying attention we know that Mark Cerny, the architect of the system, was most displeased with how the ps4 pro would throttle up and hum like an air condition during certain parts of games. So they arent gonna push it to that all the time.

first party titles? Sony all day

But you have no reason to play multiplats on this machine. Especially once we get past the first few years of the life cycle.

Sonys gonna have to get content deals tbh, cause why would anyone play rdr3, gta 6, elder scrolls, the next witcher, or any multiplat on this thing aside from exclusive dlc?

Phil swung first

Last edited by OldBusiness; 03-18-2020 at 08:35 PM..
+17   

3 weeks ago '17        #14
space
space
 OldBusiness said
Thats what everyone on the nets saying. The 10.2 teraflops number is after its been boosted and overclocked to hell. Its very rarely ever gonna hit the numbers they put on paper, cause once that thing heats up its either gonna have to slow down, or sound like a jet engine. And for.those of us paying attention we know that Mark Cerny, the architect of the system, was most displeased with how the ps4 pro would throttle up and hum like an air condition during certain parts of games. So they arent gonna push it to that all the time.

But you have no reason to play multiplats on this machine. Especially once we get past the first few years of the life cycle.

Sonys gonna have to get content deals tbh, cause why would anyone play rdr3, gta 6, elder scrolls, the next witcher, or any multiplat on this thing aside from exclusive dlc?

Phil swung first
We would get those multi plats on PC if were looking for power

3 weeks ago '14        #15
Swade009  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3 OP
space
space
space
 OldBusiness said

Phil swung first
Listen to digital foundry

Last edited by Swade009; 03-18-2020 at 09:07 PM..
+1   

3 weeks ago '14        #16
Swade009  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3 OP
space
space
space
 HARBINGER said
yall n*ggas really scrambling on damage control huhh
I dont actually care about graphics I'm actually probably going PC if a tactical shooter like Socom isnt announced at launch.

3 weeks ago '12        #17
OldBusiness 
space
space
 Swade009 said
Listen to digital foundry

Yeah I quoted Dark1x, the digital foundry guy who did the video you posted and 90% of their stuff up above
+1   

3 weeks ago '18        #18
Oswaldgatesjr  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
space
Props total: 27306 27 K  Slaps total: 9648 9 K
Like dude at digital foundry said the xbox series x will be a set powerful beast at 12 tea flops while the ps5 will have to adjust to wat ever game it's running...ps5 is a over with
+7   

3 weeks ago '06        #19
Kingme 
space
space
Props total: 15500 15 K  Slaps total: 2935 2 K
The sound is the most impressive feature on the P5 I think the sound and the SSD drive are going to do wonders for Virtual Reality but as for console gaming it's definitely in 2nd place.

Still picking up the PS5 but I'm officially done buying PS4 games because that backwards compatiblilty sounds sketch and there was no mention of forward compatiblilty. Going to wait for the inevitable "directors cut" of Last of Us 2, Ghost Of Tsushima, and Final Fantasy 7 on the PS5 with better everything
+3   

3 weeks ago '18        #20
KdenIII 
space
space
Props total: 18707 18 K  Slaps total: 2689 2 K
they better open up the checkbook and buy a bunch more studios or be releasing a ps5 pro along with the sh*t.

I could tell Sony themselves know they fu*ked up. Cerny giving a spiel about tflops not being the end all be all was enough evidence for me to see that. also waiting until Microsoft showed their hand so they could think of the best way to spin this.

we do know that Sony's talented first party studios will make do with this underwhelming system but still Sony slipping
+6   

3 weeks ago '14        #21
Cuttysark 
space
space
Props total: 19534 19 K  Slaps total: 1242 1 K
 SPdaGOAT said
*bookmarks thread*
Or

Let Sony take the L on this and buy both

One dont have to be better than the other

Both will have their strengths and weaknesses

Last edited by Cuttysark; 03-19-2020 at 11:57 AM..
+5   

3 weeks ago '15        #22
CZNM22 
space
space
Props total: 1008 1 K  Slaps total: 31 31
Even though we are getting these crazy specs, it's all a moot point if AAA game developers are pushing graphics over performance. If 4K @ 30fps is going to be the standard with these new consoles, I'd be pretty disappointed.

Swade009 said
I dont actually care about graphics I'm actually probably going PC if a tactical shooter like Socom isnt announced at launch.
We got mil-sims and tactical shooters out the a*s, mayne. We even have some recreations of SOCOM. If you do go PC and pick up a game called Squad, holla at me.

dblockallday said
someone explain how these consoles are going to be sub 1k if they're so powerful and if so can a computer be built at that price? or at they not going to make money on console sales?
They will sell them at a loss. I think Sony and MS actually make most of their money off of game sales and subscription services if I remember correctly.

As for the second part of your question, you can build a decent PC that can play games on ultra 1080p @ 60fps for around $500. If you're wanting to play in 4K, on say medium settings, you're going to spend around $700 - $800.
+2   

3 weeks ago '04        #23
Ra-da-god 
space
space
Props total: 5158 5 K  Slaps total: 578 578
SSD is not going to make up for that delta in raw power especially in 3RD party games.........ugh come on yall the ps5 is going to look amazing but stop it
+6   

3 weeks ago '17        #24
space
space
 Cuttysark said
Or

Let Sony take the L on this and by both

One dont have to be better than the other

Both will have their strengths and weaknesses
I think both gonna be great in their own ways. Microsoft system got more power and Sony is more efficient. It's up to what dev's like more ultimately

3 weeks ago '13        #25
MohasHendrix 
space
space
space
Props total: 339 339  Slaps total: 28 28
I never understand why these console companies wait to have any super popular exclusives ready at launch.

Wouldn't it be better to announce a console that's a 2nd in power but comes with a stack of popular exclusives out the gate? That way you get as many people to buy your console as possible early. I'd imagine people are less likely to up and buy a second console so quickly after buying the first console.
+2   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+20online now  22
YaYa Mayweather Potentially Being Charged With Murder... Girl In Critic..
277 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
-18online now  16
Image(s) inside The rest of the world wondering why NY has so many Covid Cases
85 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  10
Gay bros trollin Rich the Kid's IG live hard
39 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+346online now  9
Image(s) inside Apr 4 - Ive lost 3 family members to Coronavirus this week...
176 comments
2 days ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy