Europe Just Voted in Favor of Making iPhone ✞ Android Use the Same Charger ! ! !

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

1 month ago '18        #1
3993 page views
39 comments

IcebergIzm  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
space
space
Props total: 3261 3 K  Slaps total: 1686 1 K
Europe Just Voted in Favor of Making iPhone ✞ Android Use the Same Charger ! ! !

Yo Boxden . . .

Prop this if you feeling this decision !

Let's put the iphone vs android beef aside for second and really think about this.
It would help the environment and we can co-exist peacefully.

Soooo....with that being said :

" Can i borrow your charger ? "

Here's the full drop . . .
------------------------------------------------------

Every time you buy a new device—whether its a smartphone, e-reader, or smartwatch—you get a new charging cable for it. Even now, thousands of old charging devices sit in the junk drawer of homes all over the world, collecting dust. Europe wants to set a standard in the tech industry. It imagines a world where the customer never has to buy a new charger because their old charge isn’t compatible with their new device.

The European Parliament has voted 582-40 in favor of a resolution urging lawmakers to set a standard for charging cables.

“Continuing fragmentation of the market for chargers for mobile phones and other small and medium-sized electronic devices translates into an increase in e-waste and consumer frustration,” the resolution said.

For the resolution to become a law, the European Commission would have to draft a law and vote on it in July. But the idea of adopting a charging cable standard has overwhelming support in Europe, as evidenced by the 582-40 vote. With some exceptions, chargers use either USB-C, micro-USB, or Apple’s Lightning Cable. The vast majority of the industry uses micro-USB and is slowly adopting USB-C.

The legislation would mostly affect Apple’s proprietary Lightning Cable.

"We believe regulation that forces conformity across the type of connector built into all smartphone stifles innovation rather than encouraging it, and would harm consumers in Europe and the economy as a whole,” Apple said in a statement published in the Financial Times. “We hope the Commission will continue to seek a solution that does not restrict the industry's ability to innovate and bring exciting new technology to customers."

The EU resolution pointed to e-waste as one of the biggest reasons the industry needs to adop a charging cable standard. “50 million metric tons of e-waste is generated globally per year, with an average of more than 6 kg per person,” it said. “Total e-waste generation in Europe in 2016 was 12.3 million metric tonnes, equivalent to 16.6 kg on average per inhabitant...this represents an unnecessary environmental footprint that can be reduced.”

One of the most ubiquitous pieces of e-waste is device chargers. We seem them as disposable because every new device comes with one. Why not just toss the old one out and let it rot in a landfill? Every new upgrade means a new charger. But that may be about to change.

The move makes it more likely the iPhone will have to use USB-C, and would cut down on lots of charging cable waste.

imageimageimageimageimage

Last edited by IcebergIzm; 02-25-2020 at 10:47 PM..
+53   

best
worst
39 comments

1 month ago '05        #2
FalconBuddha 
space
space
Props total: 5280 5 K  Slaps total: 807 807
USB-C should be the standard for all electronics right now and the only reason apple wont use it is because of the royalties they charge for lightning cable accessories. Pure fu*king greed at its finest

BTW when i say it should be the standard for all, i mean all, not just iphone\android. fu*k all these companies with their proprietary cables for their smartwatches, and mp3 players (apparently those are still a thing?) and headphones (this is the one that annoys me the most), cameras etc
+64   

1 month ago '05        #3
Daddy Black 
space
space
Props total: 9578 9 K  Slaps total: 905 905
Please. U know Apple not going for it, they make soooo much money on chargers and dongles it’s absurd. I also agree that usb-c should be the standard on everything but we’re dealing with corporate greed.
+7   

1 month ago '15        #4
Teddy KGB 
space
space
Props total: 64781 64 K  Slaps total: 8297 8 K
Apple finna line up politicians pockets to stop this.
+30   

1 month ago '16        #5
Eastcoast 
space
space
space
Props total: 4503 4 K  Slaps total: 1175 1 K
 Daddy Black said
Please. U know Apple not going for it, they make soooo much money on chargers and dongles itís absurd. I also agree that usb-c should be the standard on everything but weíre dealing with corporate greed.
Then they will have issues in Europe, the overall(EU) wealthiest market.
+4   

1 month ago '19        #6
Luka Doncic 
space
space
Props total: 7303 7 K  Slaps total: 1614 1 K
Awesome post. I don’t see any reason not to do this
+4   

1 month ago '19        #7
Pikaboo 
space
space
Props total: 3071 3 K  Slaps total: 296 296
Nah I rather not share anything with an Android user, no offense. But cool idea.

1 month ago '14        #8
Aries  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
space
Props total: 41430 41 K  Slaps total: 5627 5 K
Applet is greedy and their customers are stupid, they'll do everything they can to block this
+7   

1 month ago '05        #9
projectd06 
space
space
Props total: 18600 18 K  Slaps total: 5126 5 K
 Pikaboo said
Nah I rather not share anything with an Android user, no offense. But cool idea.
2019 account? You are not to be taken seriously
+5   

1 month ago '09        #10
BrooklynStiles  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 25951 25 K  Slaps total: 7627 7 K
Apple stock would drop if this passed globally.
+1   

1 month ago '17        #11
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
Props total: 85982 85 K  Slaps total: 5313 5 K
 Pikaboo said

+12   

1 month ago '16        #12
NYNY 
space
space
Props total: 18613 18 K  Slaps total: 3191 3 K
This should be made law
+2   

1 month ago '13        #13
North!!!  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
space
space
Props total: 69510 69 K  Slaps total: 8114 8 K
I have an iPhone

But the good thing bout android/Samsung sh*t

Basically everything a charger for it...

Like you can use Bluetooth speakers and other sh*t for it...

1 month ago '04        #14
SokeSleezy 
space
space
Props total: 708 708  Slaps total: 100 100
they already using it on Mac's,Iphone next...
+3   

1 month ago '13        #15
ThaWeighin 
space
space
Props total: 344 344  Slaps total: 51 51
European politicians just doing trap sh*t
Line they pockets ya blokes and keep your charging cable scam going AppleSung y’all ain’t slick

1 month ago '18        #16
BrooklynDamien  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 22141 22 K  Slaps total: 2374 2 K
Apple ain't sh*t. Their employees don't even get a discount...

1 month ago '06        #17
mrep3 
space
space
Props total: 12396 12 K  Slaps total: 1639 1 K
 BrooklynDamien said
Apple ain't sh*t. Their employees don't even get a discount...
Who told you that

1 month ago '10        #18
Big Louie Guwop  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 29781 29 K  Slaps total: 5059 5 K
Apple not having that sh*t
+1   

1 month ago '05        #19
slim_d20 
space
space
Props total: 10851 10 K  Slaps total: 3595 3 K
Apple are fu*king idiots anyway. They have USB C as the default charger on their laptops but not on their phones? fu*king backwards d*ckheads.
+1   

1 month ago '16        #20
space
space
Props total: 25991 25 K  Slaps total: 3183 3 K
 FukHowYouFeel said
A licensing agreement is a contract like any other contract. They can't just tear the sh*t up and do whatever they want while these agreements are still in place.

I'm a stockholder and read the quarterlies (anyone can). Apple doesn't breakdown their revenue streams as it pertains to licensing they count it in with all of their digital services (content stores, streaming services, AppleCare, Maps, Siri, iCloud & Apple TV, etc)...

Even then it's less than about 12% of their revenue which is pretty marginal even without a breakdown.

Once their agreements phase out, Apple will most likely go all USB-C.

Not even close. Matter of fact Apple's market share in the EU is stagnant/declining. Asia is the emerging/competing market with the US which is still largest market for Apple.

GDP wise even...The US has a higher GDP than the entire EU combined. Trillions more.

This.

It would not be in their interest to let the government just step in and void their licensing agreements and it's not even the money they'd lose...It's the precedent of it.
They'll most likely skip usb-c and go completely wireless.
+1   

1 month ago '18        #21
space
space
 mrep3 said
Who told you that
An employee in the store.... Who else would I get it from??? You work for Apple and get a discount?

1 month ago '11        #22
KingP1n 
space
space
Props total: 6292 6 K  Slaps total: 943 943
 BrooklynDamien said
An employee in the store.... Who else would I get it from??? You work for Apple and get a discount?
They lied.
They definitely do get discount, iirc its around 20%.

I was gonna buy my 11 Pro through a friend of a friend who worked at an apple store, but when I worked it out I could get it cheaper elsewhere.
+2   

1 month ago '12        #23
videoshirt 
space
space
Props total: 1628 1 K  Slaps total: 645 645
 FalconBuddha said
USB-C should be the standard for all electronics right now and the only reason apple wont use it is because of the royalties they charge for lightning cable accessories. Pure fu*king greed at its finest

BTW when i say it should be the standard for all, i mean all, not just iphone\android. fu*k all these companies with their proprietary cables for their smartwatches, and mp3 players (apparently those are still a thing?) and headphones (this is the one that annoys me the most), cameras etc
this is why i don't get why people worship steve jobs.. this guy had like 2 diff movies made about him.. the guy was a business man i don't see anything he did as being particularly revolutionary, just figured out how to streamline some things and keep money in house.. just like every other business man
+1   

1 month ago '18        #24
space
space
 KingP1n said
They lied.
They definitely do get discount, iirc its around 20%.

I was gonna buy my 11 Pro through a friend of a friend who worked at an apple store, but when I worked it out I could get it cheaper elsewhere.

No doubt. n*ggas lie everyday b. I'll be alright. Good looks

1 month ago '06        #25
mrep3 
space
space
Props total: 12396 12 K  Slaps total: 1639 1 K
 BrooklynDamien said
No but a family friend used to and I would go to her to get all my stuff

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+20online now  22
YaYa Mayweather Potentially Being Charged With Murder... Girl In Critic..
277 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
-18online now  15
Image(s) inside The rest of the world wondering why NY has so many Covid Cases
85 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+346online now  14
Image(s) inside Apr 4 - Iíve lost 3 family members to Coronavirus this week...
176 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  12
Gay bros trollin Rich the Kid's IG live hard
39 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy