Annie Malone Great Great Niece Responds To Netflix Movie On Madam CJ Walker

ADVERTISEMENT

most viewed right now
+26  80
85 comments @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

1 week ago '12        #1
579 page views
8 comments

UghhFan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x46
space
space
Props total: 51762 51 K  Slaps total: 3885 3 K
Annie Malone Great Great Niece Responds To Netflix Movie On Madam CJ Walker

View this post on Instagram

My aunt, Annie Turnbo Malone was nothing as this series portrayed. My Aunt established her business, started selling products and doing in house demonstrations for African American women. Annie learned about herbalism from her own Aunt. Before Mary Kay or Avon there was Poro. When Sarah Breedlove, aka Madame C.J. Walker, was introduced to my Aunt through Sarah’s older brother who was a barber. Annie Malone took her in and taught her the business. Sarah Breedlove used “Poro Wonderful Hair Grower” to treat her scalp condition and was documented on Census records as an Annie Malone Poro Agent. Breedlove learned the business from my aunt for two years. Annie was the highest tax payer in St. Louis. Most white men were after her because no black woman had achieved such success and wealth. Annie opened 30+ schools all over the world, including St. Louis, Chicago, New York and the Caribbean. She housed millions of people in her college and taught some of the most profound African Americans in our history. Many say this “composite character” represents multiple obstacles that Madam CJ Walker faced. Yet you give the character a similar name, you give her a main role in the movie and you don’t respect her role as the legendary business woman she was because her power is in a separate lane. Yet you can include Booker T Washington and WEB Dubois. It appears that the Black women that created this movie found more comfort in using those stories as positive profound moments than acknowledging the woman who taught Walker and the power in the bond that was created. Though Annie and Sarah had their fallout, Annie did not stop spreading her light. The entire country was after Annie Turnbo Malone and she is an iconic women. Annie’s story is coming to light and will be given the respect she deserves. I thank you for your support in uplifting her name. #AnnieTurnboMalone #AnnieMalone

A post shared by Sasha Turnbo (@sashaturnbo) on

+12   

best
worst
8 comments

1 week ago '09        #2
csmitty 
space
space
Props total: 1005 1 K  Slaps total: 93 93
Yea, the series and history overall did her kinda dirty. Her accomplishments are actually greater than Walkers

+7   

7 days ago '12        #3
UghhFan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x46 OP
space
space
Hmmm.

7 days ago '10        #4
quan3106 
space
space
Props total: 35449 35 K  Slaps total: 4000 4 K
I fu*k with that...defend ya family name..especially one with that legacy
+8   

7 days ago '12        #5
UghhFan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x46 OP
space
space
 quan3106 said
I fu*k with that...defend ya family name..especially one with that legacy
Word.
+2   

7 days ago '04        #6
Marccoogs19 
space
space
Props total: 9286 9 K  Slaps total: 315 315
I do find it weird that Annie was the only person whose name was changed for the series. They didn't mind naming everybody else involved who was portrayed negatively. They even named Booker T.
+4   

7 days ago '05        #7
Old School 
space
space
Props total: 725 725  Slaps total: 54 54
I’ve never understood why so much artistic license is used for historical movies. When you research flicks like Remember the Titans, the Great Debaters, etc. they darn near create their own version for Hollywood. To my mind, the truth is always more interesting than fantasy.
+6   

7 days ago '06        #8
DominicanLou  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 9735 9 K  Slaps total: 460 460
 Old School said
I’ve never understood why so much artistic license is used for historical movies. When you research flicks like Remember the Titans, the Great Debaters, etc. they darn near create their own version for Hollywood. To my mind, the truth is always more interesting than fantasy.
Harriet
+1   

6 days ago '09        #9
slayer2020 
space
space
space
Props total: 2292 2 K  Slaps total: 929 929
 Old School said
Because people like "Doug" commonly posted in the automotive section on BX are responsible for rewriting history. It's not about staying woke, its about clear and present fraud. It's the reason the planet is being destroyed. Same "people", each. and. every. time.
+2   

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  30
XXL gets flamed for trying to put gay rapper on Freshman List, turns off comme..
176 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  19
The Illest Netflix or Prime Original Movie You've seen Thus Far
70 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+36online now  15
Mark Price Schools Allen Iverson
66 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+42online now  7
Video inside FBI RAIDS Jewish guy in BROOKLYN NY for HOARDING 5,000 boxes of N95 masks
173 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacy