Carriers suspend internet data caps during coronavirus

ADVERTISEMENT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

Top 10 most slapped recently  4 weeks ago '19        #1
2092 page views
18 comments

Stand Down  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
space
space
space
Props total: 12285 12 K  Slaps total: 19254 19 K
Carriers suspend internet data caps during coronavirus

As schools suspend classes, businesses close and companies ask their employees to work from home during the spread of the novel coronavirus, the pressure on communications networks will rise. Comcast and AT&T are the first internet providers to respond by extending data caps.

Their decisions come as Free Press called on internet service providers to "respond to the national-health emergency by waiving key broadband costs for those hit hard by COVID-19."

The coronavirus causes an illness called COVID-19, which exhibits pneumonia-like symptoms. The virus was first reported to the World Health Organization on Dec. 31 after originating in Wuhan, China. COVID-19 has spread globally, to Africa, the Americas, Australia, Europe, the Middle East, the UK and other parts of Asia. Chinese scientists have linked the disease to a family of viruses known as coronaviruses, which include SARS and MERS.

Coronavirus deaths now top 4,700, with over 128,000 cases confirmed worldwide. The World Health Organization declared the virus a global pandemic on March 11. As of March 12, US cases of coronavirus were sitting at around 1,300.

Comcast

Comcast has increased the speeds of its Internet Essentials plan aimed at low-income earners as of March 16, Dana Strong, president of Comcast Cable consumer services, said in a blog post Thursday. This involves offering 60 days of free service, after which people will be charged $9.95 per month, and increasing speeds on this plan from 15/2Mbps to 25/3Mbps.

"As our country continues to manage the COVID-19 emergency, we recognize that our company plays an important role in helping our customers stay connected – to their families, their workplaces, their schools, and the latest information about the virus – through the internet," Strong wrote.

AT&T

AT&T is waiving fees for going over data caps, adding that many of its internet customers already have unlimited data.

"Additionally, through Access from AT&T we'll continue to offer internet data to qualifying limited income households for $10 a month," an AT&T spokesperson added in an emailed statement Thursday, March 12.

On Friday, AT&T added all home internet users have access to unlimited data; it will offer Cisco Webex Meetings video conferencing for free for the next 90 days for businesses, universities and schools; customers will be credited for the costs of calling CDC Level-3 countries; its World Connect Advantage plan will be 50% off; and it is supporting the State Educational Technology Directors a*sociation (SETDA), which is developing "communication tools for parents, teachers and school boards to help them handle school closures and the increase in virtual learning."

Verizon

Verizon said Thursday it's "constantly monitoring data usage and the needs of our customers" in an emailed statement. The carrier said it's more focused on ensuring first responders in public safety, healthcare and government agencies have access to networks, which could become more congested from heavier usage than normal. Verizon also pointed out its home broadband plans, including 5G Home and Fios, already come with unlimited data.

On Friday, Verizon said it will waive late fees for the next 60 days, and keep homes and small businesses connected while they're "negatively impacted by global crisis."

"We want to ensure that our customers can continue to use the internet to work, learn, and carry on with their lives as we all address this collective challenge," Hans Vestberg, Verizon CEO, said as part of a new FCC pledge by carriers March 13 that involves not terminating residential or small business services due to their inability to pay bills during the coronavirus pandemic; waiving late fees; and opening their Wi-Fi hotspots to all Americans for the next 60 days.

T-Mobile

T-Mobile announced Friday that it would be providing unlimited data on all mobile plans for the next 60 days. This includes T-Mobile and Metro customers. It will also be providing an additional 20GB of its mobile hotspot service for the next 60 days, and is offering free international calls to any Level 3-impacted nations worldwide.

"Now, more than ever, as school and workplace closures are happening each day, reliable internet connectivity is crucial," T-Mobile said in a blog post Friday afternoon. The carrier is increasing its data allowance for free to schools and students who use its EmpowerED digital learning programs, providing 20GB of data per month for the next 60 days.

Sprint

Sprint announced Friday it will offer unlimited data for 60 days starting next week. It'll kick in by March 19, and Sprint will also provide customers with an extra 20GB of mobile hotspot data per month for the same time period.

The carrier is also waiving late fees from Friday, and won't terminate services if customers are unable to pay their bill due to the impacts of the coronavirus. By Tuesday, it will introduce free international calling for CDC Level 3 nations for customers with long distance calling plans.

Customers who don't pay for mobile hotspot services will get 20GB per month for the next 60 days "soon," Sprint added.

visit this link https://www.cnet.com/news .. g-coronavirus/
+4   

best
worst
18 comments

4 weeks ago '12        #2
Stormin Norm 
space
space
Props total: 332 332  Slaps total: 22 22
Cox Communications still on some bullsh*t I see.
+14   

4 weeks ago '16        #3
TrapInBriks11 
space
space
space
Props total: 1599 1 K  Slaps total: 129 129
Lol they’re trying to kiss a*s so consumers don’t call them out
+6   

4 weeks ago '04        #4
Fresh Beats 
space
space
Props total: 11311 11 K  Slaps total: 463 463
 Stormin Norm said
The few times I went over a terabyte I just got a warning
+2   

4 weeks ago '15        #5
Holdino  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
space
space
Props total: 27146 27 K  Slaps total: 3652 3 K
T Mobile I see you
+2   

4 weeks ago '12        #6
daman729 
space
space
Props total: 22812 22 K  Slaps total: 1050 1 K
Spectrum are some scam artists. But I'm glad they don't have data caps. They're one of the very few isps that dont'
+5   

4 weeks ago '09        #7
messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x20
space
space
Props total: 161118 161 K  Slaps total: 19782 19 K
 Stormin Norm said

For the next 60 days Cox is extending the following:

Residential customers in the company’s Starter, StraightUp Internet and Connect2Compete packages will be automatically upgraded to speeds of 50 Mbps

For those tiers, Cox is extending its Cox Complete Care remote desktop support at no charge to residential customers with remote helpdesk and a*sistance for loading new applications they may need to use during this time like online classroom support applications and web conferencing services

In addition to the above, an upgrade to our Essential customers from 30 Mbps to 50 Mbps, originally planned for later in the year, will be deployed now

the data cap scheme is just another extortion scam smh. i dont see anything about them removing the extortion

4 weeks ago '15        #8
MichaelVickStan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
space
space
Props total: 23487 23 K  Slaps total: 6835 6 K
fu*k spectrum i pay 88 just for wifi might as well get cable too

4 weeks ago '15        #9
Still Numskull 
space
space
Props total: 14502 14 K  Slaps total: 3899 3 K
 Stormin Norm said
Cox was one of the worst providers I've had

4 weeks ago '17        #10
Rule 336  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
space
space
Props total: 96138 96 K  Slaps total: 40178 40 K
The crazy thing that people will miss in this is that this shows that these data caps aren't necessary at all and these a**holes impose them by choice. Most companies are pieces of sh*t
+24   

4 weeks ago '15        #11
ninjacopy1 
space
space
space
Props total: 2044 2 K  Slaps total: 224 224
 Rule 336 said
The crazy thing that people will miss in this is that this shows that these data caps aren't necessary at all and these a**holes impose them by choice. Most companies are pieces of sh*t
This
+3   

4 weeks ago '05        #12
PhrozenMenace 
space
space
Props total: 4576 4 K  Slaps total: 317 317
trying to catch people tripping to obtain user usage information for their whatever plan? Testing current tech for upcoming changes that'll charge folks more. It's weird to see crooks doing something "decent". I don't know but this sh*t is like trying to lock or trap folks inside by providing them tools to help aid their cause...either way, fu*k metro and tmobile for their trash a*s service over here.

4 weeks ago '16        #13
postemupndunkit 
space
space
Props total: 35410 35 K  Slaps total: 5376 5 K
 Rule 336 said
Preach
+3   

4 weeks ago '18        #14
Capodecina 
space
space
Props total: 911 911  Slaps total: 79 79
aint sh*t foe free, silly rabbits. we'll end up paying in anotha form. church.

4 weeks ago '18        #15
Capodecina 
space
space
Props total: 911 911  Slaps total: 79 79
 postemupndunkit said
Preach
i would prop this 100 times if i could. kant anyone see all of this sh*t is being manipulated.

+4   

4 weeks ago '04        #16
Chronos 
space
space
Props total: 10395 10 K  Slaps total: 388 388
How about they suspend these bills
+4   

4 weeks ago '12        #17
HeightsBound  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
space
space
Props total: 16751 16 K  Slaps total: 2072 2 K
 Chronos said
How about they suspend these bills
Your job closed and you are no longer making an income?

4 weeks ago '12        #18
CaLis LEGACY 
space
space
Props total: 5236 5 K  Slaps total: 712 712
 Rule 336 said
Laws get passed for that
So the choice is there just in favor of them

3 weeks ago '12        #19
AlBooBoo 
space
space
Props total: 87325 87 K  Slaps total: 14202 14 K
thats dope

sprint already know i pay my bill late every month so this aint nothing new

atleast i dont have a l late fee now

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+190online now  65
Apr 8 - Robert F Kennedy just called out Bill Gates on Instagram for vaccine s..
349 comments
23 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
+65online now  33
Image(s) inside Ever Find Your Homies Woman on Tinder
185 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+26online now  26
Shaq says Chris Webber was better than Tim Duncan